Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite All Female Bands and/or Female Fronted Bands...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 3, 2011 3:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Over the past ten or so years, I've gotten into a number of both all female bands and female fronted bands, along with a few female artists, and I would just like to know which ones are your favorites.  This can include the whole history of rock'n'roll, from Wanda Jackson to the Shangri Las to Janis Joplin to the Runaways, etc.

Here are my favorites, in order of preference...

Manda and the Marbles

The Pipettes

The Cocktail Slippers

The Charms

The Holograms

The Paybacks

The Runaways

Les Hell on Heels

The Gore Gore Girls

Vibeke Saugestad

Suzi Quattro

The Donnas

Rose Elinore Dougall (Former Pipette)

• November 17, 2012 11:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

you tell em, Gringo!

• November 17, 2012 11:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is going very off-track here.....I never deliberately posted female artists who were wholly and exclusively beautiful women, but they happened to be beautiful woman, that's all. I totally love PJ Harvey like I love the Gore Gore Girls. On the contrary, many people love Lady Gaga, but I don't dig her AND HER MUSIC at all....the whole Gaga thing stinks. I hope none of you dig Lady Gaga...remember she's considered a beautiful lady. There ya go!!:):)

• November 17, 2012 11:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok. I'm trying to get my head around your logic here. Somehow you find my comments about deepening this thread to be the worst kind of chauvinism and then seconds later you explain that when one talks about female artists the things that come to mind are " ...glamour, beauty, long blonde hair..." - and then in the next sentence you refer to "Chix with guitars"!! I  really don't want to waste my time in a back and forth with you so I would just recommend that you read my first post above once again very slowly. I don't feel the need to convince you on my views on women in music. Anyone who knows my background and my current band, for that matter, will immediately see how ludicrous your statement about my ideas toward women is. Lastly, it's my job to moderate these forums. We try to give you guys a lot of freedom to post what you want as you like, but when things are getting stale or boring sometimes we need to give a thread a little boost; raise the bar. That's all I was attempting to do here.

• November 17, 2012 10:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Logically, when you talk about female artists, you're gonna hit it with glamour, beauty, long blonde hair and the like."

Logically??

If you're talking about female artists on a website that primarily deals with music, it suggests to me that the music should take precedence.

sleazy said:

When you start talking about female artists anywhere, the worst chauvinism comes out...unfortunately!! Gringo's statement enhances this....unfortunately. Logically, when you talk about female artists, you're gonna hit it with glamour, beauty, long blonde hair and the like. We're talking about FEMALES or aren't we??! Of course I don't dig every chick with a guitar, etc. ....indeed, I don't dig chix like Lady Gaga that's for sure...I hope this is consolation enuff here:):)!!

Tersicore said:

Sleazy,
      i don't wanna be polemical, but recently i was thinking this thread slowly looks more like a beauty-contest and has not longer much to do with music anymore.
      just my 2 cent
      btw, i think you got wrong what Gringo Starr says

• November 17, 2012 10:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beauty is for sure a "bonus" but to my eyes, secondary.
      Just curious, what about not really good-looking but music talented females?
      should they drop the idea or put full-masks on?

sleazy said:

When you start talking about female artists anywhere, the worst chauvinism comes out...unfortunately!! Gringo's statement enhances this....unfortunately. Logically, when you talk about female artists, you're gonna hit it with glamour, beauty, long blonde hair and the like. We're talking about FEMALES or aren't we??! Of course I don't dig every chick with a guitar, etc. ....indeed, I don't dig chix like Lady Gaga that's for sure...I hope this is consolation enuff here:):)!!

Tersicore said:

Sleazy,
      i don't wanna be polemical, but recently i was thinking this thread slowly looks more like a beauty-contest and has not longer much to do with music anymore.
      just my 2 cent

• November 17, 2012 10:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 17, 2012 10:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When you start talking about female artists anywhere, the worst chauvinism comes out...unfortunately!! Gringo's statement enhances this....unfortunately. Logically, when you talk about female artists, you're gonna hit it with glamour, beauty, long blonde hair and the like. We're talking about FEMALES or aren't we??! Of course I don't dig every chick with a guitar, etc. ....indeed, I don't dig chix like Lady Gaga that's for sure...I hope this is consolation enuff here:):)!!

Tersicore said:

Sleazy,
      just my 2 cent

• November 17, 2012 10:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sleazy,
      just my 2 cent

• November 17, 2012 9:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What the hell are you on about?? I'll ask some questons now....isn't it about time that we learnt from SERIOUS singers like Janis Joplin aND gRACE sLICK that women can rock with the men folk just as good as the latter can??! Women playing only bass??? Try these chix if you dare:)

(PS: if you shut down this thread now, it means I was right all along that there are still many male chauvinists out there in rockland!!!!!:):):))

GORE GORE GIRLS:):)

• November 17, 2012 9:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This thread has really deteriorated in my opinion. Is this topic just about posting pics or videos of any genre of band that simply has a female member involved? Crystal Viper? Really? This is the GaragePunk Hideout, remember? Can't do better than this? Or is this topic just spent? Could be. How about broadening the topic a bit? Do you think the Garage or Punk movement is more gender unbiased than other scenes? What do woman bring to rock and roll that men can't? Or, why does it seem that women in bands are always playing bass? These are just some ideas. Go with it. But if someone starts posting pics or vids of Heart, I'm gonna shut this discussion down. Thanks for your attention.

• November 17, 2012 8:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

CRYSTAL VIPER singer:)

• November 17, 2012 8:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx for the heads up....I really liked her in TV too:)

Heineken Shot said:

Wotcha Sleazy,

Transvision Vamp stopped recording together in '92. Wendy James is pursuing a solo career, you can follow her on Facebook & Twitter. She is really skinny these days but still hot. Her music is more "arty creative"-rock now and well worth listening to.

=:D

sleazy said:

Are TV still around???:)

Heineken Shot said:

Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 17, 2012 8:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wotcha Sleazy,

Transvision Vamp stopped recording together in '92. Wendy James is pursuing a solo career, you can follow her on Facebook & Twitter. She is really skinny these days but still hot. Her music is more "arty creative"-rock now and well worth listening to.

=:D

sleazy said:

Heineken Shot said:

Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 15, 2012 1:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS :)

• November 15, 2012 1:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 1:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

CYNDEE

• November 15, 2012 12:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HOPE SANDOVAL :):):)

• November 15, 2012 12:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE MYNABIRDS:)

• November 15, 2012 12:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LIZ PHAIR

• November 15, 2012 12:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heineken Shot said:

(to name a few)

• November 15, 2012 12:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

(to name a few)

• November 15, 2012 2:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 2:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOWER HEAVEN:)

• November 15, 2012 2:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RIP to Kelly:(:(

John Battles said:

Kelly JOHNSON was the Guitarist/Singer with Girlschool , sorry for the mixup.

John Battles said:

I just read that Jo Dunne , Guitarist from Fuzzbox (AKA We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It.) passed away at just 43 years of age , from Cancer.

I know Fuzzbox were'nt one of those bands that it was considered cool to like. I did. Still do , to a point. I just listened to their first EP a few weeks ago . It's a lot more abrasive and "DIY" than their later work , though their 1st LP IS'NT A RADICAL DEPARTURE FROM THE GARAGE REVIVAL sounds going around at the time , save for the poppier - sounding vocals. Rumor had it the album was recorded for about $200. Another rumor had it that their not so secret weapon , a REAL fuzzbox , was the one used on "Pushin' Too Hard", a record that does'nt even appear to have a fuzztone on it . Truth is , when I first heard their record , I thought it was The Pandoras' new album , and if those were the concessions to commercial rock they were threatening to make , I was fine with it. Moreso than when I actually heard The Pandoras' own final EP.    Cancer also took Kelli Clarkson from Girlschool , another misunderstood all - female band. Cancer is'nt pissing around , but , if we don't live to piss on Cancer's grave , future generations will .

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel