Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Gorilla Productions vs. Girl Trouble

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 13, 2011 11:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bon Von Wheelie of the Tacoma, Washington garage-rock band Girl Trouble has been maintaining a great website over the years where she calls out certain promoters or production companies on their pay-to-play scams. While the design of the site doesn't make it easy on the eyes to peruse, it does contain tons of valuable information warning bands of these shysters. Check it out:

www.neverpaytoplay.com

One particular shyster, Gorilla Productions, even went so far as to sue the band over what the site says about their operation. It's a lawsuit filed to bully her into taking it down. So she's fighting it. You can see the details of that here:

http://neverpaytoplay.com/&Lawsuit.htm

And here is Never Pay to Play's page on Gorilla Productions pay-to-play scam:

http://neverpaytoplay.com/Gorilla/&GorillaBOTB.htm

Bon told me that they still haven't gotten a ruling on this lawsuit. They still might be able to haul them into Ohio court. In Wash state this ruling takes about 30 days. In Ohio, it's almost been a year. Nobody can figure it out. She has spent thousands of dollars of her own money in lawyers and pretty much has nothing to show for it. Meanwhile, Gorilla is operating freely all over the US, including Seattle, and she can't even send an email to somebody in Ohio for fear it will further connect them. So they just wait.

Hopefully she will win (she should), but it sucks that she's had to spend over $13k in lawyers feeds in order to fight these greedy bastards. Her website is very beneficial to bands everywhere in warning them of the dangers of this kind of crap, and I've used it myself in the past when warning local bands of a similar scam that popped up here in St. Louis several years ago.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 23, 2012 8:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gorilla is one of the worst, and they are RELENTLESS!They organize events here at least 2 times a year and still manage to fill their roster with bands. I am especially disappointed in the clubs that support these scams, just to make their own buck. They are what's wrong with our local music scene.
    • July 22, 2012 10:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

EVEN RINGO STARR STOPPED BRIEFLY , BEFORE EMBARKING ON A QUEST TO BE A MAJOR TOOL TO TO HIS FANS , TO SIGN AN OLD BEATLES BUBBLEGUM CARD FOR BON. THAT'S HOW MUCH THE WORLD LOVES HER.

• May 28, 2012 5:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Read the site, Chris. It's all there in black & white. Also, there was no jury trial. Please read through the thread and the associated links for all the info.

Chris Henniker said:

Was this a libel action? If so, what defence did you use? I'd have gone for justification, even though you have to prove it. Fair comment would be easier, as you state the facts and show how you came to that consclusion.

If not, I'd have gone for a public interest defence. 

I'm glad you got through to the end and a jury found in your favour.

• May 28, 2012 5:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Was this a libel action? If so, what defence did you use? I'd have gone for justification, even though you have to prove it. Fair comment would be easier, as you state the facts and show how you came to that consclusion.

If not, I'd have gone for a public interest defence. 

I'm glad you got through to the end and a jury found in your favour.

• May 18, 2012 5:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bon has a lot of integrity , tho' I have'nt seen her site in some time.

People sucking money out of people  who don't have it , that's Rock'n'Roll.

You'll find that even some of the biggest names have been raped by shysters in the past (Notice the deafening silence that fell with Allen Klein's demise?).

But , these creeps want to make an example of Bon Von Wheelie and others like her , burn 'em at the stake....Or , just burn them.

Bon , you must NOT be a witch. Yours is the righteous path covered in stones , busted glass , and rare Garage 45s, smashed and shattered into unplayability.  But , we believe you'll win.

• May 18, 2012 8:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In Montréal there is a 'production' company called 'Turbo productions. DO NOT EVER DEAL WITH these creeps. It's a pure scam. They charge the bands for everything and keep all of the money. Just a warning.

• May 18, 2012 1:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good to hear! Thanks for the update, been thinking about what became of all that.

Here for the stir

• May 17, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Back in January Bon told me that they won their court case (I just forgot to post about it here, I guess)! The judge threw the trial out for lack of jurisdiction. They don't have enough contact with Ohio to be sued there. Gorilla can still come to Washington and sue them but they'll need to hire a lawyer who works there and that state's laws are really strong about stuff like this. So obviously they were pretty thrilled and ready to start something that's actually creative, instead of fighting a lawsuit. That took up a lot of time and money!

There was a really good story about the lawsuit written in The Weekly Volcano that you can read here.

Anyway, I just saw Bon post an update on Facebook that she's posted all of the details about this lawsuit on her website. It's a big, long story, but it's worth reading if you're interested in this sorta stuff:

Click here.

• March 21, 2011 4:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What SWT said.

This is effed up, so much is for sure. Shuks, these idiots never learn. Say they are supporting bands and helping the community out, but sue anther one for shit. GRRRRRR.

Anyhow, I hope this resolves to a good end.

Here for the stir

• March 20, 2011 4:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Been busy at work lately so I just saw this post. And just tonight I see an invite to a "battle of the bands" in my Facebook inbox. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138470119551925 Looks like Gorilla is operating in Albuquerque too.
    • March 17, 2011 12:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Go Bon Go!
    • March 16, 2011 5:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

good luck to Bon and the boys!!
    • March 14, 2011 1:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've had so many run-ins with these types of "companies".  Most recently I received an email from a guy who was "so excited to hear the songs" and "couldn't wait to get in touch" with me regarding the "money we could make".  5 minutes into the conversation he started to annoy me but I let him finish his pitch which ended in his asking for $475.00 to "get started".  Huh?  I told him that if he believed in what I do so sincerely he should get me work and take his fee out of the first payment we were sure to receive.  It ended soon thereafter in a lot of cuss words and name-calling.

In short, the best rule of thumb is never pay to play, NO MATTER WHAT.  I hope Bon has success in her dealings with Gorilla, and I'm sure she will with the support of her friends and the HIDEOUT.

enz

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel