Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Best Dark Comedies

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 3, 2013 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just realized we could make a list right here and add to it as more gems are discovered.

1. The Loved One
      2. Dr. Strangelove
      3. Bedazzled (original)
      4. 5000 fingers of Dr. T
      5. Harold and Maude
      6. Parents
      7. Heathers
      8. Sideways
      9. The Eel
      10. The President's Analyst

Can anyone add others off the tops of their heads?

• June 7, 2013 1:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks. You see , "In Flame" had , I believe , an extremely limited run in the states when it came out , but , if it did , at all , it was too British and too bleak, even for their American fans (Of which my Brother was one. He had all but their first two LPs , which were VERY hard to find ,here. i DON'T EVEN HAVE "BALLZY' , and people say it's just as well......).....They'd have probably done better with subtitles , HA HA (I UNDERSTAND MOST  OF IT.) . I remember hearing so much about Slade around 73 - 74 , I thought they'd already made it here. "Jane " and "Noize" made the top 100  and I remember them both getting moderate airplay. But , like most people , here ,I finally saw the movie when it was released on DVD. i , TOO, WAS SURPRISED TO FIND IT WAS not HUMORLESS , BUT NOT REFLECTIVE OF THE NUTTER PERSONALITIES THEY , ESPECIALLY DAVE , CONVEYED. Still , their acting abilities are  surprising.

Noddy's portrayal of a Screaming Lord Sutch type character is telling (as well as fun.). It's like he's saying , I will not become an Oldies or Cabaret act like the early English Rockers , I will ride out into the sunset. How D'you Ride?

But , that would never happen. You don't think the REAL Slade would get half a million Pounds , or more , to do a one - off reunion gig? They don't even know how huge it'd be.I heard they were offered Reading , but Noddy refused to do it , unless they were following , not preceding , Bon Jovi. You  know the Jersey Boys would have jumped in the ocean and swam home , rather than follow even an underrehearsed Slade. Well , when they were still (Barely) together, I'd hoped they'd do one club tour of The US.....Andy Scott's Sweet already had. They packed the place in '89 OR '90 , WITH JUST TWO ORIGINAL MEMBERS.

Andy Climax said:

Yer spot on there John. Watched it last night (again). Big thing over here about Slade and their influence, over the Christmas period last year and I recorded it all. Very very bleak movie but definitely worth anyone's attention. Mama we're all Crazeeeeeee Now!

John Battles said:

Got to mention "Slade in Flame". What was hoped to be a Beatlesque/Marx Bros. if they were Geordies comic romp is a BLACK comedy , often BLEAK. BUT VERY WORTHY OF YOUR ATTENTION.

• June 7, 2013 6:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cant get the embedded for reasons that will become obvious. This caused a real stink in Britain a few years back. Chris Morris at his very very dark best. If you don't understand irony and are easily offended, don't watch. Morris takes a very sideways swipe at how media can often enflame very passionate subjects and throws it right back in their faces. Genius!

http://youtu.be/N-lroPLKs58

• June 7, 2013 6:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yer spot on there John. Watched it last night (again). Big thing over here about Slade and their influence, over the Christmas period last year and I recorded it all. Very very bleak movie but definitely worth anyone's attention. Mama we're all Crazeeeeeee Now!

John Battles said:

Got to mention "Slade in Flame". What was hoped to be a Beatlesque/Marx Bros. if they were Geordies comic romp is a BLACK comedy , often BLEAK. BUT VERY WORTHY OF YOUR ATTENTION.

• June 7, 2013 2:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 2, 2013 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Time Bandits. On the surface a kid's tale. Deeper revelations inside.

• April 2, 2013 9:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

two very very dark television series to come outta Britain recently have been the sublime 'League of Gentlemen' and even darker 'Jam'. If you haven't taken'em in yet. WHY??? If you're fans of the macabre and the surreal, these will be right up yer dark alleys!

just a wee taster. Chris Morris is as near genius as any producer across here in the last 50 years.

• March 25, 2013 5:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And Mary "Would you like to get your paws covered in honey?" Woronov and Jacqueline Bisset.

My copy is pretty awful , I got it at a dime store that was going out of business.....

dave said:

Scenes From The Class Struggle In Beverly Hills (Paul Bartel)

• March 24, 2013 2:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Scenes From The Class Struggle In Beverly Hills (Paul Bartel)

• March 7, 2013 12:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Day of the Beast a Spanish film is great! He also did Acción mutante which, while also dark, is a bit zanier. Both must-sees.

• March 2, 2013 12:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good one! Still love Blood Simple,  wow... Yeah, Lady Killers sucked the Big One. Hear the Alec Guiness original is worth seeing, though.

Grazianohmygod said:

Most of the Coen Brother's work are fantastic dark comedies. Ranging from the goofball Raising Arizona to the pitch black A Serious Man. Too many to name, just watch them all...except for that Ladykillers remake.

• March 2, 2013 9:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most of the Coen Brother's work are fantastic dark comedies. Ranging from the goofball Raising Arizona to the pitch black A Serious Man. Too many to name, just watch them all...except for that Ladykillers remake.

• February 18, 2013 3:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"DOLLS" , is it? Not familiar ,but I'll watch out for it....I remember seeing Barbarella when it was revived around '79 - '80...Those Dolls with the  sharp , golden teeth. Kids were crying and screaing. What kind of parent takes their little kids to see "Barbarella" , anyway?

Duke Of Earl said:

Its allrighht... dont buy though, watch on youtube. Seen Dolls(88) again. Its not so much a comedy as a childrens fairytale/horror w/lots of killer dolls with some laughable parts.

I dont recommend these. Just that Im reading so might as well say what i watched. 

I will watch some on the lists that I have never seen.

Thanks guys.

dave said:

If it makes ya laugh, why not? Haven't seen it, thanks for the tip, that's what I'm hoping for!

Duke Of Earl said:

Not an expert but, like some of the ones in the lists. Was watching "Night of the Creeps" last night does that qualify?

• February 17, 2013 2:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its allrighht... dont buy though, watch on youtube. Seen Dolls(88) again. Its not so much a comedy as a childrens fairytale/horror w/lots of killer dolls with some laughable parts.

I dont recommend these. Just that Im reading so might as well say what i watched. 

I will watch some on the lists that I have never seen.

Thanks guys.

dave said:

If it makes ya laugh, why not? Haven't seen it, thanks for the tip, that's what I'm hoping for!

Duke Of Earl said:

Not an expert but, like some of the ones in the lists. Was watching "Night of the Creeps" last night does that qualify?

• February 16, 2013 10:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree about Sweeney Todd , tho' I wish they'd used the original theme song from the musical. THAT WAS ONE OF TWO TIMES I PREDICTED , correctly , that someone was going to  win The Oscar. THAT GOLDEN PHALLUS WAS DEPP'S , BABY. The first time I predicted someone was goingto win the Oscar was Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi (Though Bela G. Lugosi , his Son , SAID HIS CHARACTERIZATION WAS NOTHING LIKE HIS FATHER ,AND HE WOULD HAVE BEEN WILLING TO ACT AS A CONSULTANT.), playing opposite Johnny Depp in "Ed Wood".

• February 15, 2013 12:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Delicatessen is classic, and City of Lost Children is no slouch, either, tho' it may not be quite as dark.

And don't forget The Trouble With Harry.

• February 14, 2013 8:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I BET YOU WOULD ...iT'S SO FUNNY. THE FUGITIVE , I THINK HE WASPLAYED BY RAYMOND MASSEY , PETER LORRE AND BORIS KARLOFF PLAYED HIM ON STAGE. It's so funny , because these two sweet old ladies are burying all these bodies under their house , and their Nephew thinks he's Teddy Roosevelt.  Too funny.

• February 14, 2013 5:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out the french "Delicatessen" a very good surrealistic black comedy from early 90s.

I love Tarantino´s dark humor too, when he use it!

I think my very first of this kind is been "Arsenic and old Laces". I haven´t seen it since 30 years now, i guess. So i´m not sure if i would still like it!

• February 14, 2013 3:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah ,Sean of The Dead is very funny , too. I agree , Belushi and Akyroyd had the chance to change their image (NOT that I did'nt love them in SNL , Blues Bros. , etc,) AND POTENTIALLY BECOME THE PETER COOK AND DUDLEY MOORE OF AMERICA.
       They gave themselves a challenge , and they gave their fans a challenge ,SEEMS LIKE NOBODY WON , EXCEPT THOSE OF US WHO GOT IT.
      Tersicore said:

D´ho! Well... Neighbors don´t of course!

Tersicore said:

notice, those are all british movies! ;)

• February 14, 2013 3:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

D´ho! Well... Neighbors don´t of course!

Tersicore said:

• February 14, 2013 2:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love dark humor and this kind of movies, my  favorite are:

° Neighbors (John Belushi is just fantastic in this film. His best to me)

° Eat the rich

° Shaun of the Dead (so silly but so much laugh)

and Monty Python anyway!!

• February 14, 2013 1:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're fuckin' - A right , I'd say it's worth it , but , if you'll trust me on this one , you just have to find out for yourself.....Hey , Peter Sellers , Ringo Starr , Badfinger, Raquel Welch , Christopher Lee , Roman Polanski , and most of the future Monty Python troupe. Can't lose with the stuff they use.

dave said:

Still haven't seen the MC. Would ya say it's worth it?

John Battles said:

But , it ees a thin , thin WAFAIR......Hmm, which is grosser , that scene , or the climax to "The Magic Christian"? (MAYBE a bit of a Black Comedy ? I dunno. Certainly  lost on a lot of folks.).
      dave said:

Monty Python's Meaning of Life!

• February 13, 2013 1:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Still haven't seen the MC. Would ya say it's worth it?

John Battles said:

But , it ees a thin , thin WAFAIR......Hmm, which is grosser , that scene , or the climax to "The Magic Christian"? (MAYBE a bit of a Black Comedy ? I dunno. Certainly  lost on a lot of folks.).
      dave said:

• February 13, 2013 12:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

• February 12, 2013 4:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel