Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Surf Comp recommendations

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 4, 2013 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think I used to subscribe to a garagepunk surf podcast but I can't recall it's name and I think it dried up?

Anyway can anyone recommend a good comp of some trashy garage-style surf (nothing too lush and pristine haha!) I suppose more instrumental stuff but it's all great innit?

I really am in the mood to listen to some spaced out reverb...

• February 12, 2013 6:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Lost Legends of Surf Guitar series (I think there's about 4 of them) is really good.

• February 11, 2013 12:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Head on over to Surfguitar 101 to hear their latest podcast, number 15, and all the previous ones

http://surfguitar101.com/news/story/832/

For surf comps on CD, check out Double Crown's The Continental Magazine it comes with a free great comp of current bands every issue

And Deep Eddy Records puts out great comps too

• February 10, 2013 3:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I loved The Panasonics release, real party music. Track Listing

• February 10, 2013 3:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's funny. Now , I get it.  I've got one of his CDs....It's nothing like The Billy Childish retreads I feared it might be.... Alopecia and baldness are not necc. the same thing , tho'. With the former , you lose ALL your hair , and many hipsters would like that , fine.

Audio Gasoline said:

Alopecia the label is/was owned by Sir Bald Diddley, hence the association to the balding condition.

John Battles said:

I've heard of that. My dad had Alopecia. But , it's cool. Strange name for a label , though.

The way men are shaving their chests , and their heads (Both heads) , though they are'nt balding , if you could put Alopecia in pill form , it'd sell like annoyingly large backpacks.

Shaun Coleman said:

A series of comps called locked into surf.  From a label called Alopecia out of england.

• February 10, 2013 10:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alopecia the label is/was owned by Sir Bald Diddley, hence the association to the balding condition.

John Battles said:

I've heard of that. My dad had Alopecia. But , it's cool. Strange name for a label , though.

The way men are shaving their chests , and their heads (Both heads) , though they are'nt balding , if you could put Alopecia in pill form , it'd sell like annoyingly large backpacks.

Shaun Coleman said:

A series of comps called locked into surf.  From a label called Alopecia out of england.

• February 10, 2013 1:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shaun Coleman said:

• February 9, 2013 9:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 9, 2013 2:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , I only say "Hard to believe" , because it's just as easy to assume they'd fall back on all the obvious , lifeless stuff . But , they did'nt. Rhino was the shit , at one time....They'd drop the ball , on occasion , but , I was still getting turned on to a lot of great stuff in the pre-CD era , thanks to Rhino , when a lot of reissue labels were still dodgy (Particularly Eva , but they were putting stuff out that no one wanted to touch...Still sounded like ass , most of teh time.).

• February 9, 2013 10:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's not so hard to believe. Rhino was a top-notch reissuer at one point, and the CD mentioned below would have been a good surf intro, as was the vinyl-only History of Surf Music, Vol. 1. (Volume 2 was all vocals, and #3 was all contemporary bands as of 1982.)

AVI had a really good series called Rare Surf. After that label went out of business, that series went out of print. Still, grab a volume if you find it. 

John Battles said:

BELIEVE IT OR NOT , EVEN RHINO'S "LEGENDS OF ROCK GUITAR: SURF "IS REAL CHOICE.

• February 5, 2013 11:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BELIEVE IT OR NOT , EVEN RHINO'S "LEGENDS OF ROCK GUITAR: SURF "IS REAL CHOICE.

"WHAT SURF" 1 - 3 WAS ONE OF THE FIRST ATTEMPTS AT A SURF / PUNK / GARAGE CROSSOVER .....THERE'S AGENT ORANGE , THE PANDORAS , DAVIE ALLAN BACKED BY TEH PANDORAS , PLUS SOME OLDER STUFF , LIKE THOSE SKINHEAD STANDBYS , THE PYRAMIDS.

THERE'S A GREAT MEXICAN SURF EP ON 7". I FORGET THE TITLE , BUT , IT KILLS.

"WAIL ON THE BEACH " AND "WAX 'EM DOWN" ARE ALSO VERY GOOD (THE LATTER HAS FRANK SINATRA , JR.'s THEME TO "BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER" .).

THE 3 VOLUME "LEGENDS OF SURF GUITAR" SERIES IS INDISPENSIBLE , AS IS "SURF LEGENDS AND RUMORS " , ONE OF THE FIRST CDs I EVER BOUGHT.

• February 5, 2013 5:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also, Strummin' Mental, carried by Crypt is really cool. I think I had v.3, and just about every track rocked.

Australian group the Hitmen did a great cover of King of the Surf w/ Johnny Kannis...

• February 5, 2013 8:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd say check out the "Surf Creature" comps, the "Diggin' Out" comp and the "Strictly Instrumental" comps. All really good stuff.

• February 5, 2013 4:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks guys. That Twin Scrambler's track is ace. I did some rummaging about myself and found this one by Born Losers  http://youtu.be/qurQbOMukzY

• February 5, 2013 3:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know about podcasts, but I can point you towards some records:

"Dickheads" compilation of garage surf bands covering Dick Dale songs

"Locked In To Surf" on UK label Alopecia has at least 4 volumes of great trashy instro surf

"Think Link" Vol 1 & 2 is all Link Wray covers from garage & surf bands

There's a lot of stuff on YouTube too, if you just need a quick fix.

• February 4, 2013 6:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

rat surf radio is/was awesome. Anyone know whats happened? A new one hasn't been posted forever
    • February 4, 2013 4:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 4, 2013 4:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's still here... it's just that nobody has submitted a new episode in quite a while:

http://surfcast.garagepunk.com

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel