Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Reg Presley Dies at 71.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 4, 2013 7:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Reg Presley , Lead Singer for The Troggs , for nearly 50 years , until a major stroke in 2010 and a diagnosis of Lung Cancer in early 2012 necessitated his retirement , has died from related complications. He was 71 . Virtually no information was given by the band's official website , except that he would be undergoing Chemotherapy , and an open letter from Presley to his fans was posted. Apart from that , the only news given was that The Troggs had announced they were to continue performing with a guest on lead vocals.  Yes , it seems ALL KINDS OF WRONG to me , too , but , surely they did this with Reg's blessing , and , besides , the other members of the group still need to make a living.

I met Presley (Nee Reginald Ball)  in 2000 , we were introduced by ace cat , and now - UK TV personality , Austin Vince. My interview with Reg , and original Guitarist , Chris Britton , could'nt have been more pleasant , it was more of a visit than anything. Presley told me , "We still do it because we truly enjoy it , and we like being in each other's company. I'd say 99 out of 100 times , when we get back together to play ,we can go on holiday for a month and come back , and it's always great , because you have NERVES , and you sort of GO for it.".

The good natured aggression inherent in The Troggs' music was reflected in the band member's personalities. They joked with each other at every given opportunity , "Troggs Tape" style , but , all in the spirit of fun. They were mates. But , they worked shit - hard on the road , keeping it real , and keeping it alive. Any Garage Rock fan worth their salt will cop to owing Reg Presley and The Troggs a debt If they don't , it's OK , they've still got The Rock. In their heads.

I'm reading the headlines , now , that Presley lost the battle with Cancer. You could say , rather , that he won , because Cancer can no longer get to him. Even if it takes hundreds of years , when Cancer can no longer do it's dirt , the music will remain.

Reg Presley , Loving Husband , Father , and Grandfather , Noted Authority on UFOs and Crop Circles , and frontman for The Troggs from 1964 to 2011 , and a Prince among men.

" Picture me as a Racing Driver, or a Sailor high at sea . Sowing seeds , watch them growing , would I be a different me? ".  "A Different Me" , The Troggs .

THE SEEDS ARE SOWN , THANK YOU , REG.

• February 24, 2013 7:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe , In his subconscious , he could see something. Some people just know when it's their time. We all have to go at some point , preferably in our sleep or from sexual exhaustion. I'm just sayin' . John 

Mark George Harrison said:

Paul was known as 'the man with a plan' JB, maybe he knew something we dont, would like to think so.

John Battles said:

No , it is'nt , mate , but , somehow , it will make more sense , to you , why some of us had to check out of this life when they had so much more great work ahead. Is there a reason or a rhyme ? I doubt it ,bu t, that does'nt mean he's not still here with you , and guiding your life , insipiring you to make it something better. That much , I can assure you , will make itself known.

Thanks John, he had a great send off, it was a proper celebration of a life. 56 is no age though.

John Battles said:

Yeah, and sadly for us , not for them , Wilko will be joining your friend and Reg , soon , but, remember , they'll be having a better time than we are.

My condolences about your friend.

• February 24, 2013 4:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Paul was known as 'the man with a plan' JB, maybe he knew something we dont, would like to think so.

John Battles said:

No , it is'nt , mate , but , somehow , it will make more sense , to you , why some of us had to check out of this life when they had so much more great work ahead. Is there a reason or a rhyme ? I doubt it ,bu t, that does'nt mean he's not still here with you , and guiding your life , insipiring you to make it something better. That much , I can assure you , will make itself known.

Thanks John, he had a great send off, it was a proper celebration of a life. 56 is no age though.

John Battles said:

Yeah, and sadly for us , not for them , Wilko will be joining your friend and Reg , soon , but, remember , they'll be having a better time than we are.

• February 9, 2013 1:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT DOES'NT SURPRISE. I ASKED CHRIS BRITTON IF IT WAS DIFFICULT WINNING PEOPLE OVER, WHEN THEY HAD TO DO CABARET . HE SAID , "NO , NOT IF WE HAVE SOME OF OUR FANS THERE. THEN ,THE BLUE RINSE BRIGADE , WHO'VE COME TO SEE GERRY MARSDEN, WITH THEIR WALKERS AND THEIR ZIMMER FRAMES STACKED UP IN FRONT OF THE FIRE EXITS LIKE SO MUCH SCAFFOLDING , IT MIGHT TAKE A WHILE WITH THEM , BUT , WHEN THEY SEE THAT WE'RE ENJOYING OURSELVES , THEY USUALLY START ENJOYING THEMSELVES , AS WELL .  " .    File THAT under great Punk quotes. But , he was quick to point out , also , how great it was  that they drew such a diverse bunch of people at their own gigs.

Bryan Chapman said:

I was 'lucky' to attend the BBC Radio 1 birthday party at the old Hammy O in 1982, and the only two bands who really impressed were the Troggs and the Nashville Teens. This was probably because even back then, they really went for it, unlike most of their contemporaries who had headed for the cabaret circuit.

• February 9, 2013 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was 'lucky' to attend the BBC Radio 1 birthday party at the old Hammy O in 1982, and the only two bands who really impressed were the Troggs and the Nashville Teens. This was probably because even back then, they really went for it, unlike most of their contemporaries who had headed for the cabaret circuit.

• February 8, 2013 2:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very sorry to hear Reg Presley died.I was pleased to see him in Cambridge Ma in 1981 or so.May his music live on forever.Miss you Reg.

Dave
    • February 8, 2013 1:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weird how losing someone like Reg can make you rediscover songs you hadn't thought about in a while.  Sad reason but positive results.  I've been bombarding myself exclusively with Troggs music for the last three days and I don't feel done yet.  They were a hell of a band.

• February 7, 2013 4:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Trash Freak , I got about as far as The Troggs' popularity lasting 18 months , hitting a Forty  year sticky patch. After their two big hits , here , and 2 or 3 lesser hits , The Troggs continued charting in Britain , Germany , France, South Africa , probably many other countries . They were always a popular live act in Europe , and , here , when they capitalized on Their status as Godfathers of The Punk MOVEMENT , because they played every gig like it was their last , with the freshness of it being their first....    You can talk to people who don't even like this kind of music , and they at least know The Troggs , and "Wild Thing".

I AM STEPPING BACK FROM THE ARTICLE , AND WILL READ IT , LATER . IT DOES LOOK LIKE SOME OF IT IS (UNINTENTIONALLY?) FUNNY.

Trash Freak said:

I wouldn't normally read The Telegraph, & to be honest its not exactly a celebration of his life, but this article has some interesting & funny bits. Like his descriptions of the little bastards, with their tackle, nosin' around the fields...
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music...
    • February 7, 2013 4:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• February 7, 2013 7:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• February 5, 2013 7:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , and , of course , Ronnie Bond , whose departure was a blip on the radar in teh 90's . You KNOW they're going to have some good laughs at each other's expense.

"And you DID it , you went DUBBA DUBBA DUBBA CHUH ! "  "OY CAN DO IT ORL NOYT , BUT YOU WON'T FOKKING LISTEN !".

Reg was as cool as you could possibly imagine , at least when I was fortunate enough to meet him. He went in depth about his UFO fascination , but, it did'nt matter if I , too believed in UFOs , he knew his stuff. Maybe he got to be more difficult after his stroke , but , I found him to be remarkably pleasant and infectiously funny.

Andy Climax said:

RIP Reg. The Mothership awaits. Very very sad. You will be sorely missed. You were lately seen especially in Britain as a bit of a crank an a UFO freak, but we will always remeber you as 'Mr Wild Thing'. When you meet Mr Lennon, Harrison, and Mr Marriott, give them a huge 'dubba dubba...cha! from us all. Good Times my friend!

• February 5, 2013 7:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , this ,and the recently unearthed "Surprise Partie" live footage , came from France , and they say The French can't Rock. France , Germany and England held The Troggs up through the lean years , when they should have been touring HERE , AS WELL , AND KILLING 'EM.

melissa scott said:

I love this one -- with the SCREAMING girly! Cuz she wanted everything! :D

• February 5, 2013 7:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 5, 2013 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Eloquently put as usual JB, RIP Reg, another legend lost. Got a funeral tomorrow for a mate who played bass in a Dr Feelgood covers band, there'll be a rockin' party upstairs this week.

• February 5, 2013 3:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RIP Reg. The Mothership awaits. Very very sad. You will be sorely missed. You were lately seen especially in Britain as a bit of a crank an a UFO freak, but we will always remeber you as 'Mr Wild Thing'. When you meet Mr Lennon, Harrison, and Mr Marriott, give them a huge 'dubba dubba...cha! from us all. Good Times my friend!

• February 4, 2013 7:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love this one -- with the SCREAMING girly! Cuz she wanted everything! :D

• February 4, 2013 7:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , great clip. This was from David Bowie's 1980 Floor Show on The Midnight Special. They also did "I Can't Control Myself" and their soon - to - be banned single , "Strange Movies" (Which was lyrically neutered for US TV . They still killed it.). Bowie approached The Troggs about doing the show , because he's just released "Pin-Ups" with all the UK (and OZ.)60's covers , and figured The Trogg would bring an air of authenticity ,  seeing as how many of their peer bands had already gone Cabaret. That's Amanda Lear at the beginning , Bowie Protege , rumored (By Bowie) to be a man.

• February 4, 2013 7:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sad news. Love this clip here. Killin' it live:

Oh, that geeetaaaaaaaaaar! Ooooh, You MOVE ME!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel