Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Farfisa/Organ-Driven 60's Punk - Help

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 14, 2011 3:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

At Kopper's suggestion: I'm asking for some help.

I love organ/farfisa organ driven 60's punk, garage punk, etc., it doesn't matter what era. I'm looking for some suggestions where that organ sound is prevalent. The Nomads had some stuff in that vein, One Step Closer To You by The Miracle Workers...that sort of sound.

Thanks for your help.

• September 12, 2012 8:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Checkerlads "Baby Send For Me" b/w "Shake Yourself Down"....great stuff....

• September 12, 2012 6:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There were others ,  too , like the Teisco , that maybe were'nt as popular as the Farfisa , or the more portable Vox Continental. Theguys in ? and The Mysterians told me that every song on the "96 Tears" album featured the Vox Continental , except (You guessed it.) "96 Tears".

Craig Thompson said:

Many thanks. I knew the sound wasn't exclusive to the Farfisa, but had forgooten about the Vox.

Old School Hero said:
      One song in general...
      Little Willy & The Adolescents-Get Out of My Life

Also keep in mind (because I had once thought the same thing,) many of the great organ work you hear in 60's Punk or Revival stuff isn't always the sound of a Farfisa, but the sound of a Vox Continental. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, just offering some knowledge. The sound of the Continental is amazing. Nothing pleases my ears more in the Organ vein.

You also can't go wrong with ? & The Mysterians...because just about every song has some catchy Organ in it.

A new group that used a Farfisa organ that I can think of is Thee Allmighty Handclaps. I wonder what happened to them.
    • September 12, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love The Monks (and though the organ is more churchy than shrill, it is really prominent in their stuff)>>

• August 28, 2012 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Les Sexareenos from the 90's and 00's

• August 20, 2012 5:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A few that seem obvious to me that haven't been mentioned, although not necessarily always in the '60s vein, are The Stranglers, Murder City Devils, and The (International) Noise Conspiracy. Also, The Bomboras have a prominent organ, but about 99% of their stuff is instrumental surf rock.

• July 18, 2011 12:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Vice Barons

• July 16, 2011 5:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

check out the Urges, their Psych Ward lp from '07 is amazing, vinyl released on Screaming Apple
    • July 16, 2011 2:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Today's bands: of course Curlee Wurlee! (see seeeeeeeensational new release on my page) feat. VOX Super Continental and Hammond, from Germany: The Hara-Kee-Rees on Farfisa, from Irland: The Urges, from Greece: The Frantic V on Farfisa (new release out now too), from France: Sheetah & les Weissmüller. And next to those great 80s bands you mentionned before, i was missing the fantastic Prisoners on Hammond (as well as almost all Graham Day bands). 60s bands: there are plenty of them... in addition to your suggestions, i'm also thinking of The Fabs and The Heard right now (ultra cheesy organ sound) and... of course The Monks (Philicorda)!

• July 16, 2011 11:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out the Crimson Shadows, from Sweden and the Sound Explosion from Greece.
    • July 16, 2011 3:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out The Movements from Sweden, Göteborg

• July 15, 2011 9:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Many thanks. I knew the sound wasn't exclusive to the Farfisa, but had forgooten about the Vox.

Old School Hero said:
      One song in general...

Also keep in mind (because I had once thought the same thing,) many of the great organ work you hear in 60's Punk or Revival stuff isn't always the sound of a Farfisa, but the sound of a Vox Continental. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, just offering some knowledge. The sound of the Continental is amazing. Nothing pleases my ears more in the Organ vein.

You also can't go wrong with ? & The Mysterians...because just about every song has some catchy Organ in it.

A new group that used a Farfisa organ that I can think of is Thee Allmighty Handclaps. I wonder what happened to them.
    • July 15, 2011 5:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lords of Altamont ..... Brilliant

• July 15, 2011 12:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out The Strollers and The Creeps both from Sweden and both heavy on the Farfisa!!!
    • July 14, 2011 10:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Different strokes and opinions, right? Makes the world go 'round. Definitely like that song, will re-visit and focus on the early stuff.
    • July 14, 2011 10:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stick with their early stuff. If you can't get into that, then there's no gettin' into organ-driven '60s punk!

Craig Thompson said:

Thanks for the suggestions (so far), I've just never been able to get into The Lyres, not sure why. Have checked out a few recommendations so far, liking some of the Stomachmouths stuff, definitely enjoy some of the early Miracle Workers songs and a few from Chesterfield Kings.

Back at it. Thanks again for the help.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 14, 2011 9:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One song in general...

• July 14, 2011 4:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the suggestions (so far), I've just never been able to get into The Lyres, not sure why. Have checked out a few recommendations so far, liking some of the Stomachmouths stuff, definitely enjoy some of the early Miracle Workers songs and a few from Chesterfield Kings.

Back at it. Thanks again for the help.

• July 14, 2011 4:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Totally agree on the Lyres. And I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but I'd also suggest the Miracle Workers, Mondo Topless, Les Sexareenos, the Untamed Youth, the Hentchmen (from Detroit), Lost Sounds (Memphis), and, of course, the Mummies!

Gringo mentioned the Magnificent Brotherhood, and they have a song on one of our Hideout comps (as do Mondo Topless, though, too). Great stuff!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 14, 2011 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out:

The Lyres ('70s/'80s probably thee most organ prevalent band)

The Chesterfield Kings ('80s)

The Staggers (2000's from Austria)

The Music Machine ('60s)

The Stomachmouths ('80s from Sweden)

The Seeds ('60s)

The Magnificent Brotherhood (2000's from Germany - kinda more psyche but with a crazy organ Music Machine style)

Wau y los Arrrghs (2000's from Spain)

Well, that's just a start - let's see who else chimes in with some cool junk. Let me know what you think.

• July 14, 2011 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love this kind of stuff too, though I orient more towards the modern revival movement than the original stuff.  If you haven't already, check out Caesars (a.k.a Caesar's Palace, a.k.a The Twelve Caesars), Choo Choo, and The Love Me Nots.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel