Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What are your favourite Lo-Fi, No-Fi and "budget rock" type grou

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 27, 2013 9:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Quite a fan of these genres, would like know who else is and what bands ya like? 

• July 8, 2013 1:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah i prefer their version too. way better. I haven't noticed the similarities between those two songs until you pointed it out...but yeah. Very similar.

Johnny Lurg said:

I love both Supercharger albums. I also strongly prefer their version of "Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo" to the Mummies'. And is it just me, or does their song "San Bruno" have the same melody as "Surrender" by Cheap Trick?

• July 6, 2013 1:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glasgow's finest and very very underrated at the time. Gettin' more recognition now, now that 'Kraut'rock is de rigeur over here. annoying coz it seems to be a bit faddish. Coz its used in adverts. I hate the idea that the music we love and grew up with is selling washing powder and jeans these days. This album recorded and released on a very threadbare shoestring. Ganger Rawk

• July 5, 2013 12:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love both Supercharger albums. I also strongly prefer their version of "Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo" to the Mummies'. And is it just me, or does their song "San Bruno" have the same melody as "Surrender" by Cheap Trick?

Tyler said:

Far and away my favourite is Supercharger. Prefer the 2nd album to the 1st actually.

In terms of new bands.... that Gino and the Goons album on Total Punk is my favourite release of the year.

• July 5, 2013 9:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Far and away my favourite is Supercharger. Prefer the 2nd album to the 1st actually.

In terms of new bands.... that Gino and the Goons album on Total Punk is my favourite release of the year.

• June 25, 2013 4:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gino and the Goons!

• June 24, 2013 6:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I dun't much nose about genres, my apologies if'n these here Bands dun't fits in this post. To me they is groovy lo-fi /trash. Enjoy!!

The Budget Girls, The Brentwoods, Thee Almighty Handclaps, Epsilons, Bored! - Negative Waves, Bits Of Shit, Atomic Suplex, capputtini 'i lignu, Come'N'Go, Congregation, Deadnecks, Dusty Mush, The Exotics [Australia], the Gooch Palms, Goatfucking Nunrapers, Hank Wood and the Hammerheads, The Hard-ons(early stuff), I.L.C.K. , Intoxica, Lo-Lite, Thee Ludds, Mujeres, The Mystery Girls, The Dirty Lovers, The Porch Ghouls, Sex Beet, The Strange Boys, Superstitions, Turbo fruits, Vermillion Sands, Waylon Thornton, Wildmen,

Cheers

• June 24, 2013 12:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's sublime , but creepy......They were one of the first to popularize acoustic music , again.

YEARS AGO , A FRIEND OF MINE HAD DEVELOPED A METHAMPHETAMINE HABIT . HE GOT FREE OF IT , BUT , HE COULD'NT AFFORD MEDICAL ASSISTANCE , SO HE HAD TO DRY OUT ON HIS OWN. HE WAS DELIVERING PIZZAS. WHAT MADE HIM MAD WAS ,HE'D GO TO ALL THESE FRAT BOY'S HOUSES , AND THEY'D ALL BE PLAYING WHATEVER THE FEMMES' RECORD WAS THEN , DOCUMENTING THE SINGER'S WITHDRAWAL FROM DOPE. IT MADE MY FRIEND MAD , BECAUSE HE HAD TO HEAR ABOUT A GUY WHO COULD AFFORD GOOD MEDICAL CARE , ALL THE TIME , AND HE HAD TO DO IT , COLD TURKEY.

Andy Climax said:

The Violent Femmes debut album is just sublime. Talk about budget albums. I love it!

• June 23, 2013 7:55 PM CDT
    • Untitled

The Penetrators! Teenage Lifestyle oooowh-ooooowhhh!!

• June 10, 2013 3:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lots of newer stuff too, like early White Fence and Ty Segall etc. But yeah, Randy Alvey and the Green Fuz were probably the first!

• June 7, 2013 2:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lest we forget , THE FUGS , especially their first couple of albums. FUCKED UP.

• June 7, 2013 2:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wildfang's LP , PRODUCED BY PAUL MAROTTA OF THE MIRRORS , falls under that heading , I guess. Ostensibly a Garage Band , they covered so many styles , it'd make your head spin.

• April 1, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Violent Femmes debut album is just sublime. Talk about budget albums. I love it!

• March 31, 2013 7:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like NYC's Recruders surf & garage stylings.
    • March 26, 2013 3:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ty Segall! He came to Italy a few months ago and in 2012 he produced a lot of stuff, he is one who does his best

• March 26, 2013 11:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Wait, there are bands that aren't lo-fi, no budget these days?! Jaykay. I don't know what "qualifies" that, but Lantern from Philly just played here and it was seriously hands down one of the best R&R shows this college town has had in quite some time, not *just* for a touring act on a weeknight either. Total house show vibes.

http://lantern.bandcamp.com/

Whoever mentioned the Pack, yes!!!!!!!

• March 26, 2013 8:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

British band called Malachai. Check'em out. Influenced by everything we love

• March 26, 2013 8:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Loverly!

• March 25, 2013 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fkn Love A R E Weapons. Saw'em in Glasgow in 2000. Awesome

• March 21, 2013 6:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cheers ChazDaddy! Good call, Bob Log III is brilliant, and Doo Rag too! I haven't heard much Guided by Voices but will check out more of their early stuff for sure.

ChazDaddy said:

Awesome list Ben E! Actually many great lists here as usual. I would have listed almost everyone you did, I could add Bob Log III or early GBV.

Ben E said:

The Gories, The 5678s, Pussy Galore, early Blues Explosion, Guitar Wolf (their first album, Wolf Rock, was recorded on a walkman!), Ty Segall (especially his first couple of albums), Bloodshot Bill, The King Khan and BBQ Show, Mark Sultan, Dirty Beaches..

• March 20, 2013 11:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Budget Rock = The Mummies and Jonny Manak & The Depressives are a great team.

Lo - Fi = The Gories/early Dirtbombs are the best, period.

• March 20, 2013 10:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Awesome list Ben E! Actually many great lists here as usual. I would have listed almost everyone you did, I could add Bob Log III or early GBV.

Ben E said:

The Gories, The 5678s, Pussy Galore, early Blues Explosion, Guitar Wolf (their first album, Wolf Rock, was recorded on a walkman!), Ty Segall (especially his first couple of albums), Bloodshot Bill, The King Khan and BBQ Show, Mark Sultan, Dirty Beaches..

• March 17, 2013 3:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 7, 2013 11:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just saw the memories/white fang and colleen green last night and had a b-b-blast. So I add them to my list!

• March 6, 2013 11:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ty Segall's early stuff sounds really Lo-Fi

Thee Oh Sees record with an old Tascam 388

A lot of the S.f. 'Positive Destruction' bands are pretty Lo-Fi.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel