Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Collecting "Weird-Ohs"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 11, 2011 11:59 AM CST
    • Untitled

Not sure how many of you Hideout members are aware (or care) about these kooky little toys, but they have been brought (back) out by Hawk Toys.

What's not to love? Each character comes with a skateboard, that allows these cool little guys to stand on (it's magnetic) plus 5 trading cards. Well, that is if you really want to open the packages. Personally, I'd probably keep mine packaged (maybe pick up a duplicate to display by the computer?). I hadn't seen any of these around my city, but a friend tipped me off that they were being sold for the discounted price of $2.75 at an area close-out store (they retail roughly around $7)!

There are not only the "Weird-Ohs" collection, but also the "Silly Surfers" (which the figures come packaged with a surfboard) and the "Frantics" collection which is more musically oriented. Plus, you can collect the trading cards (sorry, no stick gum included) and model kits.

"Weird-Ohs" are nothing new, of course. These toys are being brought back to re-introduce fellow weirdo loving collectors to the artwork of Bill Campbell, who began creating these fun, grotesque hot-rod lovin' characters in 1963. Scores of merchandise followed in the wake including model kits, t-shirts, Halloween masks, collector trading cards, jigsaw puzzles, and more. To see a full line of what is available now, go here to the "Weird-Ohs" website: http://www.weird-ohs.com/weirdohs.html

I'm getting my hands on as many as I can, as I've been bitten by the collecting bug. I'm sure many of you garageheads would love this sort of thing, so I'd thought I'd throw this out there. Now, as I start to collect these, I'm going to want to get my grubby claws on the harder to find classic line of toys and related collectibles. (Get a second job?)

And I really want this record:

I feel a collecting frenzy coming on:

Look familiar, Podunkers?

Looks like I'm going to be spending lots of time at my area flea market, not to mention e-bay...

• December 16, 2011 11:28 AM CST
    • Untitled

I'm always afraid to attempt unpainted models, since I have 0 experience doing that. I'd personally rather go with snap-togethers! I think these figures came out around 2 years ago, but I never saw them anywhere. Like I said in this thread earlier, they are being sold in a clearance, discount-type store, which means once they're gone, that's it. I would like to get my hands on some of the older, more classic items, along with some Rat Fink collectibles. Funny you mention Kay Bee, I thought the whole chain went under. We had them here, but they were closed down after years of operating.

John Battles said:

i DID'NT KNOW ABOUT THESE NEW (?) WEIRD - OH's toys.....I'd buy 'em. I'm not as big on 'em as I am on Rat Fink , but , they're cool. I bought a couple of the models , several years ago , when they were reissued again...But , I think you have to be an ace painter to make them look worth a damn. I'm actually a pretty good model painter , and my Weird - Oh's MODELS LOOK CRAPPY. Then I saw my Godchild's Grandpa's work on one of the same models , and I had to eat crow, IT LOOKED BRILLIANT. But , just small , three - dimensional toys (They've done the same with Ratfink.), I can "Ride " with that. I'll look for 'em . Of course , all we have left is Toys'R'Us ,which was great in the 90's , but should be called "Toys Based on Mega Blockbuster Movies You'll Forget , Soon ' R' Us." , today. And a smaller chain called Kay Bee that sometimes , not often , gets some cool stuff in.

• December 15, 2011 4:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i DID'NT KNOW ABOUT THESE NEW (?) WEIRD - OH's toys.....I'd buy 'em. I'm not as big on 'em as I am on Rat Fink , but , they're cool. I bought a couple of the models , several years ago , when they were reissued again...But , I think you have to be an ace painter to make them look worth a damn. I'm actually a pretty good model painter , and my Weird - Oh's MODELS LOOK CRAPPY. Then I saw my Godchild's Grandpa's work on one of the same models , and I had to eat crow, IT LOOKED BRILLIANT. But , just small , three - dimensional toys (They've done the same with Ratfink.), I can "Ride " with that. I'll look for 'em . Of course , all we have left is Toys'R'Us ,which was great in the 90's , but should be called "Toys Based on Mega Blockbuster Movies You'll Forget , Soon ' R' Us." , today. And a smaller chain called Kay Bee that sometimes , not often , gets some cool stuff in.

• December 13, 2011 11:28 AM CST
    • Untitled

Here's my latest purchase for my collection, "Wade A. Minut", and I'm still on the fence about taking them out of their packaging. Any thoughts?

• November 18, 2011 7:36 PM CST
    • Untitled

OK, my latest additions to my collection:

"HoDad Makin' the Scene With A Six-Pack"

And two of the "Frantics":

"Frantic Banana"...

...and the dude from "Frantic Cats" set:

What's irking the piss out of me, though, is that the store employees keep putting these "non-peel" price stickers on the packaging! So, I'm considering taking these guys out of their packaging, that way they're easier to display AND I can see the trading cards that came with them. But, as a collector, do I really want to remove them? What do you guys think?

• November 16, 2011 6:56 AM CST
    • Untitled

Yes, I've always loved your logo pic on here! And, note to self: pick up that autobio! Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a picture gallery somewhere of your collection, do you? Would love to see it! Speaking of happy hunting, I think I'm heading out soon to grab up some more of the newer figurines, along with some Silly Surfers...

Howie Pyro said:

i have one of the biggest weird-oh, nutty mad, rat fink collections around (i even wrote big daddy roth's autobiography with him "confessions of a rat fink"  in the early 90's)...hawk just bought up a bunch of other sorta related model companies from the 60's and 70's (like the lindy loonies series)...check 'em out here:

http://www.weird-ohs.com/index.html

the old stuff is getting very expensive in the last decade, but bargains still turn up...happy hunting...you can see my logo pic is a reworking of a weird-ohs design...

• November 16, 2011 1:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i have one of the biggest weird-oh, nutty mad, rat fink collections around (i even wrote big daddy roth's autobiography with him "confessions of a rat fink"  in the early 90's)...hawk just bought up a bunch of other sorta related model companies from the 60's and 70's (like the lindy loonies series)...check 'em out here:

http://www.weird-ohs.com/index.html

the old stuff is getting very expensive in the last decade, but bargains still turn up...happy hunting...you can see my logo pic is a reworking of a weird-ohs design...

• November 12, 2011 5:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really Love these!!!.............

• November 12, 2011 7:49 AM CST
    • Untitled

Here's "Leaky Boat Louie" (who I now have):

Also "Digger":

"Freddy Flameout":

And "Endsville Eddie":

This one I want the most, the flagship character for Podunk Holler:

I don't have the patience to do model kits, but I think I'm going to have to attempt this one:

• November 12, 2011 7:19 AM CST
    • Untitled

Neat! Since I have gotten my hands on four of the "Weird-Ohs" figures (Leaky Boat Louie, Freddy Flameout, Digger, and Endsville Eddie), I'm eyeing the model kits too...And the trading cards...
      Bryan De Solis said:

Love the Weird-ohs.I picked up a "Drag Hag" model kit a couple of months ago @ Forbidden Planet NYC.

• November 12, 2011 7:15 AM CST
    • Untitled

Ha! I really like this, thanks Steve! I didn't realize there was an album of these guys, too...Guess I'll be trying to collect as much of this stuff as well (besides Hawk's newer line of figurines). My wife picked up "Hodad" and a Silly Surfer girl for my daughter, and of course, she wanted to open her packages. Ah, 10 year olds, what do they know about collecting? Hahaha....
      swt said:

Oh man, that's a chunk of my childhood there. Used to get dizzy with glue fumes putting together Weird-oh models (and the Big Daddy Roth line of funny monsters and the Aurora Monster film models)

I had that album when it came out in the 60s. I think they only sold it in toy stores and hobby shops.

Here's a Silly Surfers song  

• November 12, 2011 2:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love the Weird-ohs.I picked up a "Drag Hag" model kit a couple of months ago @ Forbidden Planet NYC.

• November 11, 2011 9:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh man, that's a chunk of my childhood there. Used to get dizzy with glue fumes putting together Weird-oh models (and the Big Daddy Roth line of funny monsters and the Aurora Monster film models)

I had that album when it came out in the 60s. I think they only sold it in toy stores and hobby shops.

Here's a Silly Surfers song  

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel