Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Desert Psych and Dark Swamp

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 16, 2011 3:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Following a recent obsession with the Austin, TX psych band The Black Angels I've been on a search for other dark, muddy, tremolo-ed out bands with a country bent.  I'm primarily looking for bands with a creepy, twangy, reverbed edge to their sound but not necessarily their lyrics.  Another strong influence to what I'm looking for would be Tom Wait's "Jockey Full of Bourbon" or "Going Out West".  So far in my area (Boston) I've found these guys:

The New Highway Hymnal:

http://thenewhighwayhymnal.bandcamp.com/

Anybody else have any suggestions old or new?

• December 28, 2012 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Forgot to mention that Cold Sun has a FB page. You can listen to the entire Dark Shadows album there http://www.facebook.com/ColdSunAudioAndVideo

swt said:

Cold Sun is working on a new album. I just played at a gig a couple of weeks ago here with Billy in Santa Fe. He was backing ex-Angry  Samoan Gregg Turner. That's Billy on autoharp below.

Gregg Turner with Billy Miller @ SF Children's Museum Benefit @ Gig Performance Spacr

John Battles said:

Divine Horsemen is a good call. They were'nt that popular in their day , but , they put on a GREAT show. Their singer was Chris D. From The Flesheaters , and their Bassist , Robyn Jameson from the same band (a  version of the band.), and their early Guitarist was Cam King of The Explosives , Roky Erickson's primary band , tho' not anymore.....Their  other singer , Julie Christenson, was married to a member of The Conqueroo before she married Chris D.

They combined Country with traces of Punk and even Metal , not as The Flesheaters did , tho' , it was far more subtle....

If you like the Texas Psych oriented stuff , I URGE you to check out Cold Sun , an early - mid 70's "Psych when you could'nt give it away" band , very dark , led by Bill Miller, who later went on to Roky  Erickson and The Aliens. It's some mindbending shit , but , it won't come cheap.

• December 27, 2012 2:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cold Sun is working on a new album. I just played at a gig a couple of weeks ago here with Billy in Santa Fe. He was backing ex-Angry  Samoan Gregg Turner. That's Billy on autoharp below.

Gregg Turner with Billy Miller @ SF Children's Museum Benefit @ Gig Performance Spacr

John Battles said:

Divine Horsemen is a good call. They were'nt that popular in their day , but , they put on a GREAT show. Their singer was Chris D. From The Flesheaters , and their Bassist , Robyn Jameson from the same band (a  version of the band.), and their early Guitarist was Cam King of The Explosives , Roky Erickson's primary band , tho' not anymore.....Their  other singer , Julie Christenson, was married to a member of The Conqueroo before she married Chris D.

They combined Country with traces of Punk and even Metal , not as The Flesheaters did , tho' , it was far more subtle....

If you like the Texas Psych oriented stuff , I URGE you to check out Cold Sun , an early - mid 70's "Psych when you could'nt give it away" band , very dark , led by Bill Miller, who later went on to Roky  Erickson and The Aliens. It's some mindbending shit , but , it won't come cheap.

• December 20, 2012 5:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thumbs up on all of those. i just checked out The Jolly Jumpers after reading your response here and i definitely dig it.

Eric Reanimator said:

I have a couple of suggestions that are in the range you mention...

The Jolly Jumpers from Finland

The Jet Black Berries albums from the 80s, might be a little too Rock, but worth checking out.

You like Tom Waits... check out Stan Ridgeway

lastly I would also point you towards the records of The Divine Horsemen...

• November 8, 2012 9:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you haven't seen/heard them, Legendary Shack Shakers are a must. They put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

The band I play in has a swampy vibe to it - when we add some of that stuff to our Reverbnation, I'll send your way. Perhaps you'll dig it!

• June 14, 2012 12:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 16, 2011 12:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a couple of suggestions that are in the range you mention...

The Jolly Jumpers from Finland

The Jet Black Berries albums from the 80s, might be a little too Rock, but worth checking out.

You like Tom Waits... check out Stan Ridgeway

lastly I would also point you towards the records of The Divine Horsemen...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel