Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Favorite Drive-In Flicks

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 19, 2011 5:17 PM CST
    • Untitled

I love drive-in flicks, and I'd say it's a given that you guys do too. I'd like to know what you guys consider to be your favorites, or just ones you like. And it can be as far reaching on genres as you like: car chase actioners, spaghetti westerns, blaxploitation, splatter, cult, etc. It can be obvious choices, or even the most obscure, and you may even turn me on to some I had never heard of, or I've forgotten about and never got around to seeing them. Also, if you're going to contribute to this discussion, please post a trailer or scene from the movie you're mentioning, it makes it more interesting...

So, I'll start off with two very obvious choices:

"Dirty Mary Crazy Larry"

This is a special movie for me, because I actually saw this at a local drive-in when it came out back in '74 with my parents. Not to mention, it includes one of my all-time favorite muscle cars, the '69 Dodge Charger (I used to own a '68). Plus, this feels like a dark pre-cursor to "The Dukes Of Hazzard", one of my fave TV shows, which kind of felt like a weekly drive-in flick itself. I own an original movie poster of this, which I bought off the former owner of the actual drive-in I saw this at, and it was one of the ones hanging in the ticket window! I've got it framed on the wall, by the way...

And my other fave: "Vanishing Point"

• December 29, 2011 9:13 AM CST
    • Untitled

I used to watch Joe Bob when he was doing his show on cable channel TNT, "Monstervision" I think it was called. I'm interested in purchasing some of the dvds he's done commentary on like the original "I Spit On Your Grave" among others. I really enjoyed watching Bruce Dern's show on the formerly known as "Speedvision" cable network when they had "Lost Drive-In" on Friday and Saturday nights, too. Lots of good choices you mentioned there, John, and matter of fact, I think I'm one of the only people that enjoyed "Frogs" so much, I had to own it.
      John Battles said:

....I only got to go to the Drive - In as a kid (I had a cool babysitter). Used to love "Frosty Malt"...I only remember seeing " Frogs" , but , there were others.... I recall the misleading ad for "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde"...When I moved to Dallas , we had a big Drive - in , nearby , but , you sort of had to have a car. This was when Joe Bob Briggs (nee John Blum.) was all the rage. He did try hard to save some of the Drive - Ins. I appeared at a Literary Festival , with my friends from Garage/Psych legends , The Peyote Cowboys , Bruce Webb ( Now a galley owner in Waxahachie.) on jug , and Murray Hammond (Now in The Old 97'S) on Guitar. we did "You're Gonna Miss Me" , "Surfin' Bird" and "She Said". Joe Bob Briggs appeared  , a few hours later , so genteel , calling garbonzas "Breasts" and so forth.

But , it was he ...Tried to keep this stuff going when most people did'nt care.

Drive - In Faves -  The Human Tornado , Death Race 2000 , Rock'n'Roll High School , ANYTHING WITH PAM GRIER , Phantom of The Paradise , I Drink Your Blood , Mighty Peking Man , A* P *E , Dracula Vs. Frankenstein , Frankenstein's Bloody Terror , Petey Wheatstraw , The Cars That Ate People (Never saw it , but , you've got to love the title !) , Werewolf Vs. Vampire Woman , Dolemite  , Schlock! , Supervixens , Beneath The Valley of The Ultra Vixens , Werewolves on Wheels , Later JD pics - The Lords of Flatbush , The Loveless , The Outsiders , Hey , Good Looking , The Wanderers , Switchblade Sisters , Thee Hollywood Knights (Fuck, yeah !) , The Warriors , of course.... Easy Rider , American Grafitti , Andy Warhol (Paul Morrissey )'s Frankensten and Dracula , Blood Freak , Let The Good Times Roll , Ladies and Gentlemen , The  Rolling Stones , Sweet Toronto/Keep a Rockin' ,  and a zillion others....

• December 29, 2011 12:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....I only got to go to the Drive - In as a kid (I had a cool babysitter). Used to love "Frosty Malt"...I only remember seeing " Frogs" , but , there were others.... I recall the misleading ad for "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde"...When I moved to Dallas , we had a big Drive - in , nearby , but , you sort of had to have a car. This was when Joe Bob Briggs (nee John Blum.) was all the rage. He did try hard to save some of the Drive - Ins. I appeared at a Literary Festival , with my friends from Garage/Psych legends , The Peyote Cowboys , Bruce Webb ( Now a galley owner in Waxahachie.) on jug , and Murray Hammond (Now in The Old 97'S) on Guitar. we did "You're Gonna Miss Me" , "Surfin' Bird" and "She Said". Joe Bob Briggs appeared  , a few hours later , so genteel , calling garbonzas "Breasts" and so forth.

But , it was he ...Tried to keep this stuff going when most people did'nt care.

Drive - In Faves -  The Human Tornado , Death Race 2000 , Rock'n'Roll High School , ANYTHING WITH PAM GRIER , Phantom of The Paradise , I Drink Your Blood , Mighty Peking Man , A* P *E , Dracula Vs. Frankenstein , Frankenstein's Bloody Terror , Petey Wheatstraw , The Cars That Ate People (Never saw it , but , you've got to love the title !) , Werewolf Vs. Vampire Woman , Dolemite  , Schlock! , Supervixens , Beneath The Valley of The Ultra Vixens , Werewolves on Wheels , Later JD pics - The Lords of Flatbush , The Loveless , The Outsiders , Hey , Good Looking , The Wanderers , Switchblade Sisters , Thee Hollywood Knights (Fuck, yeah !) , The Warriors , of course.... Easy Rider , American Grafitti , Andy Warhol (Paul Morrissey )'s Frankensten and Dracula , Blood Freak , Let The Good Times Roll , Ladies and Gentlemen , The  Rolling Stones , Sweet Toronto/Keep a Rockin' ,  and a zillion others....

• November 27, 2011 7:29 PM CST
    • Untitled

I've always known about this movie, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. Being kind of a sci-fi fan as a kid in the '70's, this movie was always poppin' up on the radar along with other fare at that time like "Logan's Run", "Slaughterhouse Five", and any other film set in "the future". I really would like to check this out, though, 'cause it's one of those I keep forgetting about.

Spite Classic said:

ROLLERBALL!!! (1975)  I saw it again BIGSCREEN just 2 months ago.  Won tickets!  Norman Jewison introduced the film himself.  He talked about the difference between European and North American reactions.  "All over Europe they loved it, they understood the socio-political implications, thankfully the Americans loved it too, but they just wanted to PLAY IT!"

• November 26, 2011 11:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ROLLERBALL!!! (1975)  I saw it again BIGSCREEN just 2 months ago.  Won tickets!  Norman Jewison introduced the film himself.  He talked about the difference between European and North American reactions.  "All over Europe they loved it, they understood the socio-political implications, thankfully the Americans loved it too, but they just wanted to PLAY IT!"

• November 23, 2011 11:24 AM CST
    • Untitled

Very cool you posted this link, Andy, because I have this. BUT I have never gotten around to watching those "Babysitter" movies. "The Pink Angels" is great! And the ending was quite a shocker I didn't see coming!

Andy Seven said:

You can buy The Babysitter and its sleazy sequel, Weekend With The Babysitter in this terrific box set for only $8:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive--Cult-Classics-Vol-3/dp/B001CB6RSU/ref=...

There's also some crazy nonsense about a gay biker gang (The Pink Angels) and a bunch of other stuff. The picture quality is excellent. Enjoy!

Michael Draine said:

My favorite drive-in movie is THE BABYSITTER (1969).  The only DVD release is from a slightly blurry (but uncut) video transfer.  It's got bikers, a nymphet, and psychedelic music by The Food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WiHkQQ3HM

Something Weird has issued some great drive-in double bill DVDs, which can be viewed with trailers and concession stand ads for a total drive-in experience.  One of the best is Doris Wishman's BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL/ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER MAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vMA3k7_M8

• November 23, 2011 8:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My favorite drive-in movie is THE BABYSITTER (1969).  The only DVD release is from a slightly blurry (but uncut) video transfer.  It's got bikers, a nymphet, and psychedelic music by The Food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WiHkQQ3HM

Something Weird has issued some great drive-in double bill DVDs, which can be viewed with trailers and concession stand ads for a total drive-in experience.  One of the best is Doris Wishman's BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL/ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER MAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vMA3k7_M8

• November 21, 2011 11:38 AM CST
    • Untitled

I've never seen, nor even heard of that "Dagger" film. Obviously it was trying to cash in on the James Bond/spy craze of the '60's. I'll have to check it out sometime. "Two Lane Blacktop" is another one of my favorites, and the first time I ever got to see it (finally) was on "Lost Drive-In" that was hosted by Bruce Dern, back when the Speed Channel was called "Speedvision". They had a good thing going with that, I stayed up many a Friday/Saturday nights being entertained by Bruce and watching all kinds of great, forgotten films. When NASCAR purchased the channel from Fox (I'm pretty sure that's the fact), this show was dropped. It was brought back mainly just for filler, but it was without Dern, so it didn't have the charm as the original run. Guess NASCAR fans didn't give a shit about it...

Anchor Bay did a great job on the dvd release of "Two Lane Blacktop". You could either go the inexpensive route and just purchase the dvd (like I did), or you could have bought the limited edition boxed set that came with some collectibles. If you don't own this, I highly recommend you buying it and watching it with the insightful commentary by Monte Hellman.

Chops said:

Well these flicks are absolute gems for the big screen.

A Man Called Dagger

http://youtu.be/ogFWyqphNpo

Two Lane Blacktop

http://youtu.be/JKcIGPQST9s

• November 20, 2011 3:06 PM CST
    • Untitled

Honestly Mike, I've only seen the original "Django" (the one you posted), but jeez, there's scores of films featuring that character in them. You could always make it your mission in life to see every single one of them, or check out what Blue Underground offers. I think currently there were a total of 4 or 5 "Django" films they were offering. Here's their website: www.blue-underground.com  You probably already know it, but I thought I would post it here for quick reference.

I mentioned earlier in this discussion that "The Dukes Of Hazzard" was one of my favorite TV shows, so this flick is another obvious choice that's top on my list, "Moonrunners":

This is the film that CBS executives watched and decided that there could be a TV show based off of. Directed by Gy Waldron and produced by Bob Clark ("Porky's", "A Christmas Story"), this story centered around two cousins, Grady and Bobby Lee Hagg who ran 'shine for their Uncle Jesse. With Waylon Jennings as "The Balladeer", this authentic look at "moonrunners" versus "revenuers" wasn't exactly a big hit. Ironically, Ben Jones who played "Cooter" in the "Dukes" series, has a bit part as a revenue agent, and there was a rival 'shine runner that went by the name "Cooter" in the movie. If you're a fan of "The Dukes", you really need to check this out. I taped it off a movie channel (remember VHS?), then handed it over to somebody I knew that could convert it over onto dvd. As of right now, this film has never had a legit dvd or blu-ray release, and only companies like Shocking Videos has it as a dvd-r (basically what I have).

Mike Humsgreen said:

I got Cannonball on DVD second hand really cheaply from a used record store. It came in a Road Movie boxset with Natural Born Killers (awesome) and Hells Highway which isn't a road movie in anyway because the teenagers' campervan gets stuck in a dessert quickly in and it becomes a Texas Chainsaw like slasher.

I know there's loads of other 'Django' films are any you'd recommend?

• November 20, 2011 2:15 PM CST
    • Untitled

I got Cannonball on DVD second hand really cheaply from a used record store. It came in a Road Movie boxset with Natural Born Killers (awesome) and Hells Highway which isn't a road movie in anyway because the teenagers' campervan gets stuck in a dessert quickly in and it becomes a Texas Chainsaw like slasher.

I know there's loads of other 'Django' films are any you'd recommend?

• November 20, 2011 11:16 AM CST
    • Untitled

"Cannonball" is another I own on dvd, and I'd much rather watch it than those "Cannonball Run" movies. "Django" is a classic, and one that I need to add to my collection, and it's made the news that it's getting a reworking by Quentin Tarantino. Both of these films have been released on dvd and blu-ray by Blue Underground, a company who specializes in grindhouse/drive-in flicks made outside the U.S.

Another Blue Underground release I own is "Fast Company":

This was directed by David Cronenberg before he did "The Brood", but a distributing snafu kept it from having a proper release. What's notable about this film, is it was the last celluloid appearance by Claudia Jennings, the queen of drive-in cinema back in the day. This isn't a great movie by any means, but it's a neat little gem out there for Cronenberg fans who only knew him to make chillers.

Mike Humsgreen said:

Roadmovies are awesome

I think they are especially cool if you live outside of the USA where cars are usually better made but only half as cool looking.

I like a good spaghetti western.

• November 20, 2011 4:47 AM CST
    • Untitled

Roadmovies are awesome

I think they are especially cool if you live outside of the USA where cars are usually better made but only half as cool looking.

I like a good spaghetti western.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel