Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: PORK Magazine

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 12, 2011 5:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pork Magazine

A friend of mine turned me on to this, caught me completely off guard, check it out it's pretty cool stuff:

Pork Magazine

• June 8, 2013 2:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

PORK #11 IS OUT NOW!!!

WITH KEITH MORRIS. SHANNON AND THE CLAMS. DR. DEMENTO. DARREN MERINUK. JOSE GABRIEL ANGELES. JORDAN SPEER. OTTO SPLOTCH. DENNIS DREAD.

• May 19, 2013 11:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

King Khan just sent me this great piece about the first time he met Jay Reatard. I guess there's a Jay Reatard documentary coming out. King Khan is making movies. Here's the piece.

• April 1, 2013 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU MEAN , SHANE SWANK?

PORK MAGAZINE said:

PORK 10 IS OUT. WITH: WARM SODA, WAX IDOLS, MIKE DIANA, SHANE BUGBEE, YUTA SAKAKIBARA, JASON POWELL OF GUANTANAMO BAYWATCH, LAUREN UTTER, TALLBOY, GLITZ, ACID SWEAT LODGE, GLITTER WIZARD & TONS OF COMICS, COLUMNS & KOOL SHIT.

• April 1, 2013 11:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

PORK 10 IS OUT. WITH: WARM SODA, WAX IDOLS, MIKE DIANA, SHANE BUGBEE, YUTA SAKAKIBARA, JASON POWELL OF GUANTANAMO BAYWATCH, LAUREN UTTER, TALLBOY, GLITZ, ACID SWEAT LODGE, GLITTER WIZARD & TONS OF COMICS, COLUMNS & KOOL SHIT.

• February 6, 2013 1:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're welcome. I almost forgot about Crumb's use of the Swastika in a very Mad Magazine context. i'd love to attend your Passover Seder  , myself. I have'nt had a good Jewish meal in , well , a month , anyway.

PORK MAGAZINE said:

Thanks for the words Gentleman John. All of the contexts & examples yer talkin' about are reasons why we started to use the swastika in our work. I was tired of being afraid of being called a Nazi especially if Joey Ramone can sing "I'm a Nazi baby, I'm a Nazi yes I am." & barely anyone bats an eyelid. Centrally for me though, you can blame Robert Crumb who pretty much always included swastikas in his big mix up pictures of tiny cartoon characters exploding out of someone's head, including on his original cover for Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills". And, as always, anyone who wants to say something is welcome to our insane Passover Seder to level any complaints.

John Battles said:

OK , I JUST GOT THE NEW PORK. I DID NOT FIND THE USE OF THE SWASTIKA PARTICULARLY OFFENSIVE. IT WAS USED IN THE SAME WAY MAD MAGAZINE (WHO , YOU'LL NOTE , WAS A LARGELY JEWISH COLLECTIVE , FREQUENTLY BASHED BY THE EXTREME RIGHT.) USED TO - IT JUST EXPRESSED RAGE OR CRAZINESS OR A WAY TO SUGGEST "BAD WORDS" - YOU KNOW , "$%#@**$!!!!    

It was'nt used as a means to convey Neo - Nazi sympathies , and I see Pork magazine the same way......I would imagine if it really offended a lot of people , they'd stop using that image , and The Iron Cross , which I've read was a medal of honor AWARDED EVEN BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE KAISER. A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR CIRCLES WERE WEARING IRON OR MALTESE CROSSES , YEARS AGO , MYSELF INCLUDED (I even found one with a Black Power fist bolted onto it. Who could contest THAT?) , BUT , no one seemed to mind. Not like Dick Miller's classic rant in "The Wild Angels".  But , to wear a Swastika T-SHIRT OR BADGE TODAY WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CONNOTATION  . BUT , WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WEARING THEM IN PUBLIC.  Even if your politics don't lean that way , as with The Sex Pistols. They made it clear they were anti - Nazism and Communism , too , as did many Punk bands , but they flirted with the imagery of both , to some extent .

REAL NEO - NAZIS ARE TRAITORS. PORK SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS ALL - AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET.

John Battles , Roctober Magazine .

• February 6, 2013 1:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right about that. The Native Americans , and Indigenous Asian peoples (Don't you love my PC terminology?) had it first.

kopper said:

The history of the swastika is actually pretty interesting. Check out the Wikipedia entry for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Remember, it wasn't used or seen as a symbol of hate until the Nazis started using it after 1920.

Just sayin'.

• February 6, 2013 10:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the words Gentleman John. All of the contexts & examples yer talkin' about are reasons why we started to use the swastika in our work. I was tired of being afraid of being called a Nazi especially if Joey Ramone can sing "I'm a Nazi baby, I'm a Nazi yes I am." & barely anyone bats an eyelid. Centrally for me though, you can blame Robert Crumb who pretty much always included swastikas in his big mix up pictures of tiny cartoon characters exploding out of someone's head, including on his original cover for Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills". And, as always, anyone who wants to say something is welcome to our insane Passover Seder to level any complaints.

John Battles said:

OK , I JUST GOT THE NEW PORK. I DID NOT FIND THE USE OF THE SWASTIKA PARTICULARLY OFFENSIVE. IT WAS USED IN THE SAME WAY MAD MAGAZINE (WHO , YOU'LL NOTE , WAS A LARGELY JEWISH COLLECTIVE , FREQUENTLY BASHED BY THE EXTREME RIGHT.) USED TO - IT JUST EXPRESSED RAGE OR CRAZINESS OR A WAY TO SUGGEST "BAD WORDS" - YOU KNOW , "$%#@**$!!!!    

It was'nt used as a means to convey Neo - Nazi sympathies , and I see Pork magazine the same way......I would imagine if it really offended a lot of people , they'd stop using that image , and The Iron Cross , which I've read was a medal of honor AWARDED EVEN BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE KAISER. A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR CIRCLES WERE WEARING IRON OR MALTESE CROSSES , YEARS AGO , MYSELF INCLUDED (I even found one with a Black Power fist bolted onto it. Who could contest THAT?) , BUT , no one seemed to mind. Not like Dick Miller's classic rant in "The Wild Angels".  But , to wear a Swastika T-SHIRT OR BADGE TODAY WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CONNOTATION  . BUT , WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WEARING THEM IN PUBLIC.  Even if your politics don't lean that way , as with The Sex Pistols. They made it clear they were anti - Nazism and Communism , too , as did many Punk bands , but they flirted with the imagery of both , to some extent .

REAL NEO - NAZIS ARE TRAITORS. PORK SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS ALL - AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET.

• February 6, 2013 8:24 AM CST
    • Untitled

I think in Europe the Swastika has a different meaning to how Brits and Americans interpret it. Don't forget that in a lot of countries wearing it is illegal and therefore only Nazis wear it. So many Germans get insulted when Brits make Hitler jokes, but it's just the same to us as when Germans make shitty jokes about our food.

• February 6, 2013 8:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The history of the swastika is actually pretty interesting. Check out the Wikipedia entry for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Remember, it wasn't used or seen as a symbol of hate until the Nazis started using it after 1920.

Just sayin'.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 6, 2013 12:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course , there's nothing new under the sun.....Brian Jones posing in full Nazi regalia , Ron Asheton performing in the same. Both maintained they were being provocative , not advertising for the Nazi party. Kiss (Who are , of course , comprised of and led by two Jewish members) whose logo resembles the "SS" SYMBOL ,THOUGH , NOT PRECISELY.

The Ramones with a two Jews /two Goys lineup , and The Dictators , proudly Jewish , save for most of their Drummers , both toying with Fascist imagery , but , on strictly a "Hogan's Heroes" level.        Sorry , I had to add something , when I tried to edit the previous message , I  WAS TOLD A REPLY WAS NEEDED ..... 

• February 5, 2013 11:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 4, 2013 3:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

that artwork is sick!
    • January 18, 2013 3:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

all right that's also what i thought. im not very correct myself, but its nice to hear the thought behind it- and i really dig the art

• January 18, 2013 2:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey James, I came up in the international anarcho punk scene where the swastika & iron cross were forbidden, but as i grew up & got a better sense of what i wanted out of life, I really started getting into the more freeing & liberatory elements of Punk & anything, which includes the right to offend & upset! Also, they're just part of American juvenile delinquent culture which all erupted after WWII. Blue jeans, iron crosses, leather jackets, boots, striped shirts, long hair, Black culture, etc. Love it. Surfs up! The history & cross-generational elements are really important for what we're doing here.

• January 18, 2013 2:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

looks cool!

but the swastika and iron crosses are confusing me a little, guess you americans have more relaxed conditions about it than us from northen europe..

-still ordering a copy :)

• January 17, 2013 5:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey! Yeah, we love PORK and advertise in it... and carry it! It's free if you swing by the store, or add it to your order.... here!

• January 15, 2013 6:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Found a copy at Otto's in Manhattan. Love it! It's a great amalgamation of fun underground stuff. The art is killer and I dig the vibe!

• January 8, 2013 2:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fantagraphics! Of Course.  It's in such a weird spot of town that I never make it out there even though it's always my intention.  Thanks.

PORK MAGAZINE said:

Check the Fantagraphics store!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Which outlets in Seattle happen to get it?

• January 8, 2013 1:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was really surprised to see copies of Pork at the Ace of Cups here in Columbus this weekend.  (Pleasantly....  I picked up my first copy in Portland about a year or so ago.  Love it!)

• January 8, 2013 1:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check the Fantagraphics store!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

• January 8, 2013 7:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha! Awesome - my band is playing Otto's on Friday. Thanks for the heads up!

• January 8, 2013 6:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I found it at Otto's Shrunken Head last weekend.  Manhattan, but close enough to BK.

Greg Hanson said:

Any places that stock it in Brooklyn? I've been checking it out online but I'd love to know if there's a place to grab a copy locally, if possible.

• January 7, 2013 11:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Any places that stock it in Brooklyn? I've been checking it out online but I'd love to know if there's a place to grab a copy locally, if possible.

• January 2, 2013 7:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel