Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Hey Kids, Comics!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2011 4:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is a space to talk about anything relating to comics, since I haven't spotted a 'comics' post.

• June 3, 2012 3:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, I'm glad you like Altergott, John! I'm a big Doofus fan, wonder what he's doin' now? (Mike  Dringenberg [Sandman]actually took a break from comics 'cause he wasn't making a living off of it).

Wonder how many 80s comics will be considered classics in the future? Love and Rockets for sure, hopefully that string of bile like Hate, Naughty Bits, Dirty Plotte, etc.

Steranko once said that comics are like an egg, a form of perfection that can't be improved upon. Hope they manage to stay afloat in the current economy.

• April 29, 2012 6:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Dan Clowes even told me he did'nt think the E.C. Dynasty could ever happen again , because you don't have the artists (Save for a few , like Rick Altergott of "Doofus" legend , who's so close to Wally Wood , IT'S SCARY ,  or Ivan Brunetti , who can do ANYTHING.).

COMIC bOOK stores are still the best places to find EC re - issues , past and present , but , I realize not everyone  , here , has a comic book store in their home town....

OBVIOUSLY EC INFLUENCED "CREEPSHOW" AND "TALES FROM THE CRYPT"(Call that thing a "Crypt Keeper "?! Bryan Gregory was still alive. Too bad they did'nt give him the gig. Yes , I know he would'nt have been able to keep it together......BUT , the early 70's British "Tales From The Crypt" and "Vault of Horror" (Amicus , I think. Not Hammer.)are superior to the later adaptations ....Plus , they used the original stories.

• March 19, 2012 12:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, John, EC reprints aren't exactly showing up at the grocery stores and drug stores, but the Portland library has several of the hardbound reprints. Hopefully, major cities' libraries are doing the same...

While the actual comics are hard to spot, their effect on Hollywood (Creepshow, Tales From The Crypt, etc) and the minds of young film-makers can't be overstated.

And that's just their horror and sci-fi titles. What about Mad, Frontline Combat and Shock SuspenStories?

Today I see some great comic companies (Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly-West Coast Rocks!), but noone has come close to cornering the market with high-quality talent since then.

Marvel? Don't make me laugh! DC's Vertigo imprint is mostly top-notch, but DC itself not so much.

• February 28, 2012 9:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I might have said that differently than I meant to.....EC Comics are not easy to find , but , they're out there.  The reissues , of course , are plentiful.

John Battles said:

E.C. WAS to comics what Punk Rock was to music (I still like both , but , I'm not seeing E.C. reissues on the magazine rack when I go to the grocery store. I AM hearing Punk Rock songs. I'm Ok with that. All the E.C. Horror titles were made an example of , as the very reason youth was being corrupted in The 50's , that , and , of course , Rock'n'Roll music. They could'nt ban Rock'n'Roll outright , but they could sure neuter the shit out of it. E.C. CARRIED ON , WITH inoffensive titles like "Impact !" and the last comic book - form issues of Mad.

Bill Gaines and his "Gang of Idiots" were actually accused of promoting Communism among American youth (Never mind the fact that they took shots at Soviet leaders just as quickly as our own.). They struck back , with a great PSA , stating that there's a place where the people who are trying to ban E.C. comics could already have their way , because free speech is not tolerated . Russia . But , of course , the squares had their way . Let's just all be thankful the original E.C. comics are still easily obtainable as reprints. 

dave said:

Yeah, EC is still the shit all these years later! Just see how many other comics, zines, and rekkid covers still use their horror covers as templates for design. Nice cover, 'You got gooood taste!'

The Amphibious Man said:

Thats so awesome! I've never heard of that one. Definitely going to try to find it. This is my personal favorite:

What the guys at E.C. comics did in the fifty's is some of the coolest stories ever and the art is incredible. They recently released all of the Tales From The Crypt and Vault of Horror series in their own separate full books with every issue in them! I just finished the Vault of Horror one and it was awesome. Definitely worth checking out if you're into those kinds of comics.

dave said:

• February 25, 2012 4:28 PM CST
    • Untitled

Here's one from my favourites from Kiwi cartoonist Roger Langridge; Fred the Clown.

• February 25, 2012 3:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The latest comic I wanna plug is from Jeff Smith (of Bone fame), it's called RASL.

Here are some spoilers, but if you'd rather have just an idea of what's in here, check this out:

Tesla

Noir

Sci-fi

Homeland Security

Alternate dimensions

Love

Anti-hero

Bone wasn't really my thing, but this series is! Sci-fi geeks should love it.

• January 5, 2012 4:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

E.C. WAS to comics what Punk Rock was to music (I still like both , but , I'm not seeing E.C. reissues on the magazine rack when I go to the grocery store. I AM hearing Punk Rock songs. I'm Ok with that. All the E.C. Horror titles were made an example of , as the very reason youth was being corrupted in The 50's , that , and , of course , Rock'n'Roll music. They could'nt ban Rock'n'Roll outright , but they could sure neuter the shit out of it. E.C. CARRIED ON , WITH inoffensive titles like "Impact !" and the last comic book - form issues of Mad.

Bill Gaines and his "Gang of Idiots" were actually accused of promoting Communism among American youth (Never mind the fact that they took shots at Soviet leaders just as quickly as our own.). They struck back , with a great PSA , stating that there's a place where the people who are trying to ban E.C. comics could already have their way , because free speech is not tolerated . Russia . But , of course , the squares had their way . Let's just all be thankful the original E.C. comics are still easily obtainable as reprints. 

dave said:

Yeah, EC is still the shit all these years later! Just see how many other comics, zines, and rekkid covers still use their horror covers as templates for design. Nice cover, 'You got gooood taste!'

The Amphibious Man said:

Thats so awesome! I've never heard of that one. Definitely going to try to find it. This is my personal favorite:

What the guys at E.C. comics did in the fifty's is some of the coolest stories ever and the art is incredible. They recently released all of the Tales From The Crypt and Vault of Horror series in their own separate full books with every issue in them! I just finished the Vault of Horror one and it was awesome. Definitely worth checking out if you're into those kinds of comics.

dave said:

• January 2, 2012 4:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Love and Rockets, by the Hernandez Bros. has got to be 1 of the most inflential comics of the past 50 years, and about half of it is aboot Punk! Do yerself a flavor and track down a compilation, esp. the Jaime volumes...

• December 22, 2011 12:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And, in 'honor' *coughcough* of the Tintin movie, here is a Herge/Lovecraft mash-up:

• December 21, 2011 12:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Amphibious Man said:

dave said:

• December 20, 2011 8:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

• December 20, 2011 5:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel