Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: First Show/Punk Show/Best Show

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 28, 2013 2:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1st gig i ever went to was the fall in early 79,it was shit,as an impressionable 12 year old i remember thinking,sod this live music bit,im gonna stick to records.

• January 27, 2013 5:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just put in a request to MRR to publish the old Motards interview from '95! Would love to see it in print once more, but I dunno, we'll see.

• January 27, 2013 5:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave , I started a message , but , it was 'ET.

Yeah , I have 45s BY ALL OF THOSE SA BANDS WE MENTIONED, have'nt listened to 'em in years , but , I have'nt traded 'em in , either , so , I must have liked them. I've purchased a total of three copies of MRR in my life , and I was mentioned in two of them. Don't get me wrong , I'm fully aware of how little I have to show for my efforts.

As for The Rip Offs , I KNOW ONE OF THEM IN PASSING , NICE GUY , BUT, THEY WERE NEVER MY THING.

• January 27, 2013 2:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, even tho' they'd review something like that Squires re-issue, MRR was waaay too hardcore oriented for me to read for years! Kudos to Tim for opening that portal. By the time that interview came out (wanna say late 95/early 96) they were stuffed with garage- and 60's punk fans. "Huzzah!"

Big Drag, yeah, I'd forgotten about them! Great pop done w/ a dash of punk. Singer had a nice burr in his voice, played a half-stack. If you can find their 45s for cheap (Sleep King and Unclean come to mind), buy 'em. Jeff Smith (Hickoids) put out their CD after an Unclean deal fell through.

You would prolly like the Drop-Outs, 60s punk done w/ a singer who put out a bit of country into his voice. They have a song or two on that Au Go Go Texas comp. from that time.

Supercharger is a funny (strange) band, I couldn't get enuff of 'em in the 90s but today they just don't do it for me. Same for the Rip-Offs.

John Battles said:

Well , you touched on something.When I interviewed Sons of Hercules , they told me "We were out of it geeks. Like, we knew Thee Headcoats
      , but , we did'nt know about Supercharger!" They sold me on Supercharger , I bought their record , thank God it was 1/2 PRICE , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TERRIBLE. They were playing up their local bands , Inhalants , Cryin'Out Louds , Big Drag , Motards. There was another band , The Drop-Outs. They said Joe "King " Carrasco turned up at their gigs a lot. This was before Jon Horne from The Cryin' Out Louds  WON THE BUDDY BRADLEY LOOKALIKE CONTEST !  NOT AFTER, BUT WHILE , PETER BAGGE WAS DOING  THE 45 SLEEVE FOR JON'S SISTER , CHRIS HORNE'S , BAND , THE FABULOUS BROOD !!!! 

P.S. I did'nt know  Sons of Hercules were even IN MRR. It was around that time , they started experimenting with Garage , when they could have been supporting it in the 80's , too.

dave said:

Yeah, it was just about exactly that time. It was that Sons interview in MRR that Tim Stegall did where Danny says they weren't aware of Birdman. And it wasn't me that hepped 'em to it, probably Tim Hayes (Cryin' Out Louds) or Lisa Rickenberg (Inhalants). Tim prolly gave 'em the video, too, he had a LOT of R&R stuff! He showed me a gig in the Funhouse where Birdman's fans were goin' apeshit, it was inspiring! It freaked out John Wilson (Motards), too, he couldn't understand fans getting so worked-up.

I was just joking about bein' sore at missing them, it woulda been cool, but I wasn't even aware of an American tour (yoiks!).

John Battles said:

You mean , SOH had'nt heard of Radio Birdman til you hepped them to it? That must have been a long time ago , cos I met them in the early 90's , whentheir first LP came out , and I know we spoke about them at the time , as Dan Hoekstra (Now w/Purple Stickpin) and Dale Hollon were telling me about a Birdman/Saints video they had (Which they eventually got me  a copy of...). Maybe it was the second time they were here , but even that was before the second LP came out (I remember ,because my artwork was being considered for the cover.).....I remember, too , they did "(I'm) Misunderstood" by The Saints the first or second time they were here. I'm sorry , I figured you had the chance to see Radio Birdman
      on one one of their U.S. reunion tours. They played  here , twice , but ,I did'nt go the second time , because it was hotter than FUCK in that place , take a very old building , no A.C. , OVERSOLD TO THE HILT , middle of summer......Yes , it was'nt Texas - hot outside, but ,it sure was , inside. Both shows were mid - summer , a year apart.   John Doe raised Hell about how hot it was (The place is called Double Door , and they have crappy sight lines , besides.), once , but a cool - headed Jim Heath (Horton Heat) just said , "It gets real hot in Texas , too , but , we've got something you don't have , here......ADEQUATE AIR - CONDITIONING.".       "aLTAMONT '69" . ha ha ha. I've never heard anything about 27 DEVILS JOKING PLAYING OUT IN THE LAST 15 YEARS.
        , I figured BrYon S.Curley went back to New Mexico. But , it's been over 15 years since I've been to the town where you have to sell your soul to get a taxi.

dave said:

Oh, sure, rub it in, eeeeevvvvverybody sees some band Deniz Tek is in but me! Well, at least I got to say a few drunken words to him in Austin while the Sons of Hercules were playin' (while wearin' my leather w/ the Birdman logo on it!). "Hey, what's that emblem on your jacket?" hahaha... You could tell Tek knew the lineage of the Sons, and got off on their sound. Ironically, the guys hadn't heard Birdman 'til they got a following in Austin.

Hey, I met 27 Devils Joking, I think they changed their name to Altamont '69 (genius!)...

John Battles said:

DENIZ TEK , WHO LIVES IN DETROIT , NOW (WELL...DOES ANYBODY?) , HAS BEEN PLAYING , OFF AND ON , WITH SCOTT MORGAN'S POWERTRANE. They played here , 4 or 5 years ago , with a frontline of Morgan (Rationals, Sonics Rendezvous Group,etc.), Tek , and Robert Gillespie (Rob Tyner , Mitch Ryder.) . Either of those Guitarists and singers could front a great band of their own , but, together , Holy Shit ! Less than 15 people showed , including the opening band, Thunderwing.......that's another subcategory "Best shows nobody went to"

Mine would include - Divine Horsemen ,   Chris D.'s Flesheaters offshoot band , that , admittedly ,had'nt had much press yet. I ONLY KNEW ABOUT THE GIG , AND WHO THEY WERE , BECAUSE I WAS standing right outside the club , somewhat dejected after seeing a very competent but not very Garage (In sound or repertoirre) Larry and The Bluenotes , and I read a mention about the show in The Dallas Observer

Ragin' Fire - Despite a Southern Rock Bar band - sounding name , this Nashville Roots /Country Punk outfit , fronted by a gutsy female singer , Melora Zaner, took me entirely by surprise. I think the 6 or 10 other attendees agreed.

Voodoo Dolls - Cramps/Flesheaters /Roky - influenced Punk Rock and Roll. From Florida , their very early sides are on You  Tube , now.

27 Devils Joking. THE OTHER 14 PEOPLE WERE THERE FOR THE OPENING BAND , BUT STAYED , ANYWAY. This , given the fact that the club stretched the truth just a BIT , and said Singer/ Bassist , Brian S. Curley had been in The 13th Floor Eleveators. It's possible he played in the reformed group for one gig in Houston in 1984  , after Ronnie Leatherman bailed. He did back Roky in The  Resurrectionists (With Nervebreakers Drummer , Carl Giesecke.) and Evil Hook Wildlife E.T. , as well as Lester Bangs with The Delinquents ,who also released a very B- 52's ish LP of their own. 27DJ rocked like Raw Power - era Stooges , with the expected nods to Roky and The Elevators , live. Guitarist Tom Trusnovic is in T.TEX EDWARDS' CURRENT GROUP (ONE of 'em.) , PURPLE STICKPIN.

Best recent shows attended by 30 people or less (FOR SHAME , CHICAGO)

Fleshtones at Double Door , ? and The Mysterians at Reggie's (TWICE ! CRIME !).

• January 27, 2013 1:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , you touched on something.When I interviewed Sons of Hercules , they told me "We were out of it geeks. Like, we knew Thee Headcoats
      , but , we did'nt know about Supercharger!" They sold me on Supercharger , I bought their record , thank God it was 1/2 PRICE , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TERRIBLE. They were playing up their local bands , Inhalants , Cryin'Out Louds , Big Drag , Motards. There was another band , The Drop-Outs. They said Joe "King " Carrasco turned up at their gigs a lot. This was before Jon Horne from The Cryin' Out Louds  WON THE BUDDY BRADLEY LOOKALIKE CONTEST !  NOT AFTER, BUT WHILE , PETER BAGGE WAS DOING  THE 45 SLEEVE FOR JON'S SISTER , CHRIS HORNE'S , BAND , THE FABULOUS BROOD !!!! 

P.S. I did'nt know  Sons of Hercules were even IN MRR. It was around that time , they started experimenting with Garage , when they could have been supporting it in the 80's , too.

dave said:

Yeah, it was just about exactly that time. It was that Sons interview in MRR that Tim Stegall did where Danny says they weren't aware of Birdman. And it wasn't me that hepped 'em to it, probably Tim Hayes (Cryin' Out Louds) or Lisa Rickenberg (Inhalants). Tim prolly gave 'em the video, too, he had a LOT of R&R stuff! He showed me a gig in the Funhouse where Birdman's fans were goin' apeshit, it was inspiring! It freaked out John Wilson (Motards), too, he couldn't understand fans getting so worked-up.

I was just joking about bein' sore at missing them, it woulda been cool, but I wasn't even aware of an American tour (yoiks!).

John Battles said:

You mean , SOH had'nt heard of Radio Birdman til you hepped them to it? That must have been a long time ago , cos I met them in the early 90's , whentheir first LP came out , and I know we spoke about them at the time , as Dan Hoekstra (Now w/Purple Stickpin) and Dale Hollon were telling me about a Birdman/Saints video they had (Which they eventually got me  a copy of...). Maybe it was the second time they were here , but even that was before the second LP came out (I remember ,because my artwork was being considered for the cover.).....I remember, too , they did "(I'm) Misunderstood" by The Saints the first or second time they were here. I'm sorry , I figured you had the chance to see Radio Birdman
      on one one of their U.S. reunion tours. They played  here , twice , but ,I did'nt go the second time , because it was hotter than FUCK in that place , take a very old building , no A.C. , OVERSOLD TO THE HILT , middle of summer......Yes , it was'nt Texas - hot outside, but ,it sure was , inside. Both shows were mid - summer , a year apart.   John Doe raised Hell about how hot it was (The place is called Double Door , and they have crappy sight lines , besides.), once , but a cool - headed Jim Heath (Horton Heat) just said , "It gets real hot in Texas , too , but , we've got something you don't have , here......ADEQUATE AIR - CONDITIONING.".       "aLTAMONT '69" . ha ha ha. I've never heard anything about 27 DEVILS JOKING PLAYING OUT IN THE LAST 15 YEARS.
        , I figured BrYon S.Curley went back to New Mexico. But , it's been over 15 years since I've been to the town where you have to sell your soul to get a taxi.

dave said:

Oh, sure, rub it in, eeeeevvvvverybody sees some band Deniz Tek is in but me! Well, at least I got to say a few drunken words to him in Austin while the Sons of Hercules were playin' (while wearin' my leather w/ the Birdman logo on it!). "Hey, what's that emblem on your jacket?" hahaha... You could tell Tek knew the lineage of the Sons, and got off on their sound. Ironically, the guys hadn't heard Birdman 'til they got a following in Austin.

Hey, I met 27 Devils Joking, I think they changed their name to Altamont '69 (genius!)...

John Battles said:

DENIZ TEK , WHO LIVES IN DETROIT , NOW (WELL...DOES ANYBODY?) , HAS BEEN PLAYING , OFF AND ON , WITH SCOTT MORGAN'S POWERTRANE. They played here , 4 or 5 years ago , with a frontline of Morgan (Rationals, Sonics Rendezvous Group,etc.), Tek , and Robert Gillespie (Rob Tyner , Mitch Ryder.) . Either of those Guitarists and singers could front a great band of their own , but, together , Holy Shit ! Less than 15 people showed , including the opening band, Thunderwing.......that's another subcategory "Best shows nobody went to"

Mine would include - Divine Horsemen ,   Chris D.'s Flesheaters offshoot band , that , admittedly ,had'nt had much press yet. I ONLY KNEW ABOUT THE GIG , AND WHO THEY WERE , BECAUSE I WAS standing right outside the club , somewhat dejected after seeing a very competent but not very Garage (In sound or repertoirre) Larry and The Bluenotes , and I read a mention about the show in The Dallas Observer

Ragin' Fire - Despite a Southern Rock Bar band - sounding name , this Nashville Roots /Country Punk outfit , fronted by a gutsy female singer , Melora Zaner, took me entirely by surprise. I think the 6 or 10 other attendees agreed.

Voodoo Dolls - Cramps/Flesheaters /Roky - influenced Punk Rock and Roll. From Florida , their very early sides are on You  Tube , now.

27 Devils Joking. THE OTHER 14 PEOPLE WERE THERE FOR THE OPENING BAND , BUT STAYED , ANYWAY. This , given the fact that the club stretched the truth just a BIT , and said Singer/ Bassist , Brian S. Curley had been in The 13th Floor Eleveators. It's possible he played in the reformed group for one gig in Houston in 1984  , after Ronnie Leatherman bailed. He did back Roky in The  Resurrectionists (With Nervebreakers Drummer , Carl Giesecke.) and Evil Hook Wildlife E.T. , as well as Lester Bangs with The Delinquents ,who also released a very B- 52's ish LP of their own. 27DJ rocked like Raw Power - era Stooges , with the expected nods to Roky and The Elevators , live. Guitarist Tom Trusnovic is in T.TEX EDWARDS' CURRENT GROUP (ONE of 'em.) , PURPLE STICKPIN.

• January 26, 2013 6:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

dave said:

John Battles said:

• January 26, 2013 5:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

, I figured Brian S.Curley went back to New Mexico. But , it's been over 15 years since I've been to the town where you have to sell your soul to get a taxi.

dave said:

John Battles said:

• January 26, 2013 3:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• January 26, 2013 2:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Ragin' Fire - Despite a less than intriguing name , this Nashville Roots /Country Punk outfit , fronted by a gutsy female singer , Melora Zaner, took me entirely by surprise. I think the 6 or 10 othe rattendees agreed.

Voodoo Dolls - Cramps/Flesheaters /Roky - influenced Punk Rock and Roll. From Florida , their very early sides are in You  Tube , now.

• January 26, 2013 2:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 26, 2013 12:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You Aussies get alla the Good Stuff!  :D

Any Birdman-kinda stuff is right up my alley!

And Lightning Bolt is waaay too intense for a measly 2-piece!

And those beautiful Australian ladies, ooh!!

• January 26, 2013 4:00 AM CST
    • Untitled

First show - Pretty sure it was Madness at Melbourne's Festival Hall, must have been about 16 or 17. Probably 1980. I still remember the scary looking skinheads in their boots and braces and the totally hot woman wearing a clear plastic raincoat and nothing else.

First punk show - Dead Kennedys at Monash Uni. 1983 I think. They played with The Corpse Grinders. Awesome night. I still have a ticket stub.

Best Show - Where to start. I saw Lightning Bolt a few years ago. They played to a room of about 300 people. Perhaps the most powerful gig I have ever seen in 30+ years of live music. What about Nomeansno and DOA supported by Front End Loader. Ort any New Christs gig, especially the night they played Melbourne Uni with Exploding White Mice. Or feedtime, or The Cosmic Psychos, or the meanies, or Lubricated Goat in front of 25 people, or the Dirtbombs at Golden Plains or Off  two night ago  ............................................................   

• January 23, 2013 6:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My first show was a festival at the CCH in Hamburg 1979 called "BRAVO-Super-Disco" with Suzi Quatro, Racey, Truck Stop and Frank Zander. Bravo is the largest teen magazine within the German-language sphere and very cheesy. Can't remember that much. I think I was too excited.

First punk concert or whatsoever was DAF (Deutsch Amerianische Freundschaft) at the Markthalle in Hamburg 03.06.81. Music: electro punk. Audience: mostly punk. It was good fun.

The best concert so far: The Milshakes at the KIR in Hamburg 1982. 2 hours pure fun. The whole crowd was dancing and the whole band was drinking. In the end they stumbled cross the stage but played so tight as if sobriety was their middle name.

• January 22, 2013 7:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weirdness. Just as Kiss IN '76 was my first show ( Not counting my Brother's little band in Kewanee , Illinois , Ear Lick , and a really cool band I saw at  a car show in Ft. Worth. I remember , they opened with "The Rockford Files" and did a medley of "Gitarzan" and "Troglodytes" , the singer donning a cheap ape mask !), I ,too , saw The Stray Cats in '82 , before they broke in The US , AT tHE hOT kLUB , DALLAS' SECOND - EVER PUNK VENUE. Missed a lot of great shows there , for still being 17 -18. There were several hundred people , there. I saw Thunders in '86. Rode my bike to the mall to buy my ticket. I think he finished nearly every song......HA HA . HE WAS INTERRUPTED BY A BOTTLE - THROWING SKINHEAD , AND THE TWO HAD TO BE PULLED APART. JOHNNY WAS GETTING THE BEST OF IT , BUT NEITHER OF THEM REALLY SEEMED TO BE HURT , AND THE SHOW WENT ON.....

SMF said:

First show: KISS, Syracuse 1976. Opening act was Uriah Heep. (Happy to see I'm not the only one whose first show was KISS!!!)

First punk show: Wreck N Crew, Cortland, NY 1978. Cortland's punk overlords...

Best show: Heavy Trash, Las Vegas 2005. The Sadies opened the show and backed Heavy Trash. Close second is the Stray Cats, Tucson, AZ 1982ish. Played in a low-ceiling basement at the Convention Center. They were on a little riser. Maybe 500 people. Cool.

Worst show: If it was bad I usually drank more so I wouldn't remember... seems to have worked.

Best "unfinished" show: Johnny Thunders, Tucson, AZ 1985. Never finished a song. It was great.

• January 22, 2013 7:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave , I guess I don't follow you. You did'nt think you'd have fun at a Ramones show because you were'nt much of a drinker?  College Station ? Gig 'em Aggies ! HA HA , just kiddin'.          Friends : We used to all tell "Aggie Jokes" in Texas about how dumb Texas A&M students supposedly were , even THEY tell 'em......But , then , I found out how much SEX was going on around that campus , and I said , They're not so dumb after all.

But , my old Alma (What does it) Mater, ETSU , is now owned by Texas A&M , which means they're Aggies , too , now.

dave said:

Don't feel bad, check this out: The Ramones came to my hometown of College Station, TX (!!), itself a miracle, with DeeDee playing, in a small venue and I-didn't-go. At that time I rarely drank, and had seen New Order sober- boy, did that suck, worst concert I've ever been to! So, even though I was an avid Ramones fan, I knew I wouldn't have fun. Still shoulda gone. D'oh!

John Battles said:

Any Ramones show , tho' I was late for the party, particularly ,The Ramones , Iggy Pop and The Dickies , Aragon Ballroom , 1988. The RAMONES HAD AN AWFUL MIX , AND WERE ONLY GIVEN ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO PLAY , But to see a three bill band like THAT , WHEN mURPHY'S lAW DICTATES , THE MORE YOU LIKE THE HEADLINER ,THE WORSE THE OPENING BAND IS GONNA BE (Tho ' there are exceptions.).

Mongul said:

First: The Ramones at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ May 29, 1991

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 22, 2013 6:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

First show: KISS, Syracuse 1976. Opening act was Uriah Heep. (Happy to see I'm not the only one whose first show was KISS!!!)

First punk show: Wreck N Crew, Cortland, NY 1978. Cortland's punk overlords...

Best show: Heavy Trash, Las Vegas 2005. The Sadies opened the show and backed Heavy Trash. Close second is the Stray Cats, Tucson, AZ 1982ish. Played in a low-ceiling basement at the Convention Center. They were on a little riser. Maybe 500 people. Cool.

Worst show: If it was bad I usually drank more so I wouldn't remember... seems to have worked.

Best "unfinished" show: Johnny Thunders, Tucson, AZ 1985. Never finished a song. It was great.

• January 22, 2013 2:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't feel bad, check this out: The Ramones came to my hometown of College Station, TX (!!), itself a miracle, with DeeDee playing, in a small venue and I-didn't-go. At that time I rarely drank, and had seen New Order sober- boy, did that suck, worst concert I've ever been to! So, even though I was an avid Ramones fan, I knew I wouldn't have fun. Still shoulda gone. D'oh!

John Battles said:

Any Ramones show , tho' I was late for the party, particularly ,The Ramones , Iggy Pop and The Dickies , Aragon Ballroom , 1988. The RAMONES HAD AN AWFUL MIX , AND WERE ONLY GIVEN ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO PLAY , But to see a three bill band like THAT , WHEN mURPHY'S lAW DICTATES , THE MORE YOU LIKE THE HEADLINER ,THE WORSE THE OPENING BAND IS GONNA BE (Tho ' there are exceptions.).

Mongul said:

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 22, 2013 2:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mongul said:

• January 22, 2013 1:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First punk show: Marginal Man w/ Angry Red Planet - 1986 Detroit Graystone Ballroom

Best show....too many but The Cramps w/ Guitar Wolf circa 1997 was pretty good.  The Supersuckers w/ The Gaza Strippers circa 2001 was great....tons more.....

• January 22, 2013 1:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If memory serves, The Firm first show.  I dont know if I could classify it as "the best" show ever.  But if I could go back and see on again it would be GG at the Fastlanes in NJ.  He played two years in a row.  Total nuttiness and hysterical.

• October 2, 2012 5:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First: The offspring 1998 in a shitty old country bar in reno

Best: X the band Anaheim house of blues 2008

• October 2, 2012 8:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First: the Police 1984 Atlantic City. First Punk: The Dead Milkmen 1984 Halloween Atlantic City's Elk's Lodge. Best: The Ramones 1990 Tower Theater Philly. The first six rows of seats were ripped out to make room so everyone could get closer to the stage. Bruised and battered that night!

• September 30, 2012 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I went to the Flying Spiders (1978/79)!

The Spiderz - Car

• January 21, 2012 7:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First Show? Peter Tosh and Rolling Stones I think... Live, Outdoors, Warm summer's day. Awesome when you're a young teen hanging out alone with your bestie and free to scream your guts out.

First Punk Show? Had to be either The Clash (lots of sweat, spit and throwing of lit cigarettes, with Strummer yelling at us, "hit me fucker, hit me") or Cramps/Patti Smith. Can't remember which came first, both I believe were at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. I think my ears are still ringing from The Clash. Or was it the Jam at some horrible basement club in Rush Street? Too bloody long ago to remember, being the dark ages and all. All I remember of the Jam show was it was almost entirely attended by writhing, jumping 15-yr-old boys. Good times.

Best Show? Too many good ones. I hope the best one is yet to come.

• January 20, 2012 11:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My first punk show was in the latter half of the '80's, 86 or 87 at the Outhouse (a punk rock club in the middle of a cornfield: http://theouthousethefilm.com/), I don't remember who played, probably some local band, but I had an awesome time!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel