Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: First Show/Punk Show/Best Show

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 16, 2013 2:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

nah not over here he didnt.this was quite a few years after so alone (maybe 6),he hadnt done anything significant for a while and sadly was considered washed up even then.hanoi rocks on the other hand were riding high with there credence cover and were a big deal at the time,more proof if needed that just what a fucked up decade the 80s where.

John Battles said:

Detracting from the story , but , did'nt Hanoi Rocks support Johnny? I've heard a couple of good recordings from that tour , but ,Johnny waved around that license to be inconsistent like he was this past generation's Jerry Lee Lewis ....Surely , touring with his musical direct descendants must have inspired him a bit ( I told Sam Yaffa that Hanoi Rocks were the Dolls ' Little Brother Band. Don't think he understood me.).....Likewise , he was actually flattered to have THEE Mystery Girls (From Chicago.) open for him , here in late '89 or early 90. he loved the idea that they took his musical influence and turned it into something of their own. However , he took a nap , saying he'd catch their set , and woke up just in time to miss it. He dedicated "Personality Crisis" to them , though . His set was NOT very good , but , sure , there were moments.....His voice was incredible , believe it or not. Less of the beloved HONK , and more gutteral Blues growl , like on "Copy Cats". But , he scarcely touched his guitar. I also saw him in Dallas in '86. Was'nt great and it was'nt bad. He did'nt seem as fucked up as usual (Rumor was he'd gotten clean for a while , tho' I later read he did that several times , falling back on junk, once more. Of course , when he died , there was no Heroin involved , and the parties involved are still walking the streets. Yes ,Johnny OD'ed on Methadone AFTER they slipped him some hallucinogens , tho' before they ransacked his hotel room. For all we know , they held the needle in place. )....

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

this topic requires a whole discussion all of its own.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 15, 2013 7:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a couple of stories about why Bryan left The Cramps....He , himself , claimed he was getting more into stuff like The Clash and PIL and further away from their musical roots.
      The top story , with Lux's verification , as to why Bryan left was , was that he simply took off with a band vehicle , loaded with their equpment , and never came back. After he died , though , Lux and Ivy cited his Heroin habit as the main thing making their relationship with Bryan crumble.    Gregory did turn up , unannounced , at a Cramps gig in the 90's to make peace with Lux and Ivy . They forgave him. So much time had elapsed.....But , I speak from experience , these first wave Cleveland Punks hold on to a grudge like they'll turn to stone if they let go.

Of course , the most popular story is that Gregory joined a Devil Cult......Well......His Girlfriend , Ardella , was an Occult practitioner(They later  formed the awful Goth - Rock  BAND , Beast , together. ), AND , REPORTEDLY, the two joined a coven , practicing White magic , but , not Satanism as such.  
      dave said:

Whoo, ya done good!! The Cramps were one of the best shows I've ever seen, w/ Candy and Nick. They embody all that's great about rock and roll!

'Ja ever hear why Brian left the band? Bad trip? Anxiety?

Kinky's always good for a laugh, wish he'd won the election in Tejas. Be a better gun'nor, that's for sure.

Keep up the good karma,

Dave

GattyGoon said:

The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The best shows were Cramps and Link Wray shows.

Although always great, some of the Cramps shows that stand out more.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 15, 2013 3:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whoo, ya done good!! The Cramps were one of the best shows I've ever seen, w/ Candy and Nick. They embody all that's great about rock and roll!

'Ja ever hear why Brian left the band? Bad trip? Anxiety?

Kinky's always good for a laugh, wish he'd won the election in Tejas. Be a better gun'nor, that's for sure.

Keep up the good karma,

Dave

GattyGoon said:

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 15, 2013 2:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 10, 2013 3:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Detracting from the story , but , did'nt Hanoi Rocks support Johnny? I've heard a couple of good recordings from that tour , but ,Johnny waved around that license to be inconsistent like he was this past generation's Jerry Lee Lewis ....Surely , touring with his musical direct descendants must have inspired him a bit ( I told Sam Yaffa that Hanoi Rocks were the Dolls ' Little Brother Band. Don't think he understood me.).....Likewise , he was actually flattered to have THEE Mystery Girls (From Chicago.) open for him , here in late '89 or early 90. he loved the idea that they took his musical influence and turned it into something of their own. However , he took a nap , saying he'd catch their set , and woke up just in time to miss it. He dedicated "Personality Crisis" to them , though . His set was NOT very good , but , sure , there were moments.....His voice was incredible , believe it or not. Less of the beloved HONK , and more gutteral Blues growl , like on "Copy Cats". But , he scarcely touched his guitar. I also saw him in Dallas in '86. Was'nt great and it was'nt bad. He did'nt seem as fucked up as usual (Rumor was he'd gotten clean for a while , tho' I later read he did that several times , falling back on junk, once more. Of course , when he died , there was no Heroin involved , and the parties involved are still walking the streets. Yes ,Johnny OD'ed on Methadone AFTER they slipped him some hallucinogens , tho' before they ransacked his hotel room. For all we know , they held the needle in place. )....

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 10, 2013 2:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

:D  Yeah, this is def. another kettle o' fish!

I've heard sooo many tales of fucked-up Thunders dates, if they weren't all basically the same show you could make a book of 'em.

One guy here said Thunders was shit as usual, but the show still had a certain majesty about it. It's on this thread...

Glad Malice made the night tolerable.

sideshow Barty said:

• February 10, 2013 3:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 10, 2013 3:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

know what ya mean about joeys skin being like glow in the dark plastic.i shook his hand one time after a show,he was hot (and sweaty) and his hand was like holding a wet fish,a dead one at that.his legendary status remains unaffected by this in my book.

Mark Freiseis said:

First show - something called the Met Center Rock Festival. The bands were: The Litter, Brownsville Station, either Sweetwater or SRC, The Amboy Dukes, The Stooges, Grand Funk Railroad & Canned Heat. Not bad for $5.00!

First punk show - Ramones at Kelly's Pub in downtown St Paul on their first tour. Joey got out of a cab right in front of me & his sking was the color of glow-in-the-dark plastic. I went out & bought a motorcycle jacket the next day.

Best show - New York Dolls at the Mind Odyssey at the MN State Fair. The building was packed at the start of the show, but people kept leaving & I kept moving forward. I ended up right in front of the stage with Johnny Thunder's stage monitor right next to my ear. I went deaf in my right ear for about a week.

• February 10, 2013 2:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey dave.....up until that point i'd been a fan,they'd only done two singles,bingo masters and new thing this was the tour for that live at the witch trials album.i was a kid and i just did'nt get it.in fact i aint liked 'em since (fuck smith and his pissed up gobby arsed attitude).however support that nite came from this american girl vermillion,anyone remember her?you can youtube her one and only single 'angry young women' although it hasnt really stood the test of time.she did have as a backing group that nite label mates menace.still love menace,quality old school london punk act,they rescued the nite as i recall.

dave said:

Wow, The Fall! What was wrong with 'em?

sideshow Barty said:

1st gig i ever went to was the fall in early 79,it was shit,as an impressionable 12 year old i remember thinking,sod this live music bit,im gonna stick to records.

• February 9, 2013 1:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First arena show: Tina Turner at the Winnipeg Arena, with John Parr opening. 1985.
      Best show: A tie - Man...Or Astroman? with Bob Log III at the Pyramid Cabaret (1998), and Heavy Trash/The Sadies/Fiftymen at the Pyramid (2005).

• February 8, 2013 12:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuck-a-duck! You musta racked up some righteous Karma-Points! I don't think anyone here has had the run of good luck like you have, congrats!

• February 8, 2013 1:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First show - something called the Met Center Rock Festival. The bands were: The Litter, Brownsville Station, either Sweetwater or SRC, The Amboy Dukes, The Stooges, Grand Funk Railroad & Canned Heat. Not bad for $5.00!

First punk show - Ramones at Kelly's Pub in downtown St Paul on their first tour. Joey got out of a cab right in front of me & his sking was the color of glow-in-the-dark plastic. I went out & bought a motorcycle jacket the next day.

Best show - New York Dolls at the Mind Odyssey at the MN State Fair. The building was packed at the start of the show, but people kept leaving & I kept moving forward. I ended up right in front of the stage with Johnny Thunder's stage monitor right next to my ear. I went deaf in my right ear for about a week.

• February 5, 2013 1:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can believe it! Those guys really rock for a buncha middle-aged dorks like me ;D

aspire said:

Maybe not the best I've ever been too, but a few weeks ago I saw Off! in a small bar in Sydney and its the best gig I've been too in years, dudes tore shit out of the place!
    • February 5, 2013 6:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

first show: senzabenza, thee stp, rappresaglia, crummy stuff @corneliano d'alba - 2001 (eventually senzabenza didn't show up)

first punk show: " " " "

best show: gee, i don't know really, i have to think about it :D

• February 4, 2013 6:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe not the best I've ever been too, but a few weeks ago I saw Off! in a small bar in Sydney and its the best gig I've been too in years, dudes tore shit out of the place!
    • February 3, 2013 8:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE SAME.   THAT WAS THEIR FIRST REUNION SHOW , IF I RECALL.  RALPH SCALA TOLD ME HE HAD RECENTLY SAT IN AT A BYRDS TRIBUTE SHOW AT CAFE WHA? , AND WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THE RESPONSE HE GOT , HONESTLY UNAWARE OF HOW BIG THE BLUES MAGOOS' CULT FOLLOWING HAD GROWN. WHOEVER TOLD YOU IT WAS A GREAT SHOW WAS RIGHT. BUT , SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO BE GARAGE NAZIS , AND IF ONE LITTLE HAIR IS OUT OF PLACE , SO TO SPEAK , THEN , ANY BAND THAT'S GIVEN THEM SO MUCH ENJOYMENT OVER THE YEARS , WITHOUT A DIME TO SHOW FOR IT , IS'NT WORTH IT.  BUT , AS I SAID , I'M SURE THEIR LATER GIGS WERE BETTER, WHEN THEY'D HAD TIME TO PRACTICE MORE.    MIKE HAD A THEREMIN WHEN I SAW THEM , ALSO AN EXCHOPLEX , BUT , IT DIED ON HIM , EARLY.   GEOFF WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DID'NT LIVE ON THE EAST COAST AT THE TIME. I THINK HE WAS IN COLORADO , SO , IT'D MAKE SENSE TO BRING IN PEPPY'S SON ON DRUMS. SOME PEOPLE , TOO , CAN'T GET IT WITH THE BLUES MAGOOS , ELECTRIC PRUNES , BANDS LIKE THAT,  BECAUSE THEY DON'T SOUND LIKE THEY WERE RECORDED IN A SHITHOUSE.   I ASKED RALPH , WOULD'NT YOU AGREE THAT BANDS LIKE YOURS , AND THE PRUNES , WERE STUDIO BANDS , YOU HAD COMMMAND OF THE STUDIO , BUT YOU ALSO EXPERIMENTED IN THE STUDIO QUITE A BIT (AND , IN BOTH BANDS' CASES , THEIR SECOND LPs BEAR THAT OUT EVEN MORE.). HE SAID THAT'S TRUE , AND HE COULD SEE THE SIMILARITIES TO THE ELECTRIC PRUNES , BUT , THEY WERE DOING EVERYTHING ON THEIR OWN DIME , PRETTY MUCH , SO THEY WERE DETERMINED TO DO IT , THEIR WAY.
      G. Wood said:

There was no headliner at the '68 gig, they were it. A local band called The Afterbeats opened. The Magoos were freekin' fabulous. No lava lamps, though...if I remember right.

The 2000 gig was Cavestomp? I heard they aced that one. They were great in '09, Peppy was a force of nature. His son played drums (Geoff was away or something), and he was one of the best drummers I've ever seen. Mike played theremin! I'd met Mike in W'stock before, and met Peppy afterwards, very nice, friendly guy. There's a picture of him & I on my page. 

John Battles said:

No shit. A friend of mine saw The Blues Magoos on that tour with Herman's Hermits(Some dates included The Who , not this one.) in '67. He was still in his early teens , and said The Blues Magoos came out with their lava lamps and electric suits playing this crazy music , and he tripped . He said he's never so much as drank a beer , yet , but their show made him trip. That's what Psychedelia is supposed to do. Anyway , I saw them in 2000. Most people I spoke to did'nt like it....I don't  know what they expected , when they had 4 or 5 days to rehearse (At Todd Rundgren's studio in Woodstock). Their vocals were spot on , and instrumentally , I'D SAY AN 8 OR A 9 OUT OF 10 , most of the time. I figured , once they started playing out more , they should be better , still.

G. Wood said:

First show was The Blues Magoos at a local high school (NJ) in 1968. Saw them again in Woodstock, NY in 2009. 

Punk? Best? Don't remember, can't say. Grinderman in NY last year? Maybe.

• February 3, 2013 3:36 PM CST
    • Untitled

There was no headliner at the '68 gig, they were it. A local band called The Afterbeats opened. The Magoos were freekin' fabulous. No lava lamps, though...if I remember right.

The 2000 gig was Cavestomp? I heard they aced that one. They were great in '09, Peppy was a force of nature. His son played drums (Geoff was away or something), and he was one of the best drummers I've ever seen. Mike played theremin! I'd met Mike in W'stock before, and met Peppy afterwards, very nice, friendly guy. There's a picture of him & I on my page. 

John Battles said:

No shit. A friend of mine saw The Blues Magoos on that tour with Herman's Hermits(Some dates included The Who , not this one.) in '67. He was still in his early teens , and said The Blues Magoos came out with their lava lamps and electric suits playing this crazy music , and he tripped . He said he's never so much as drank a beer , yet , but their show made him trip. That's what Psychedelia is supposed to do. Anyway , I saw them in 2000. Most people I spoke to did'nt like it....I don't  know what they expected , when they had 4 or 5 days to rehearse (At Todd Rundgren's studio in Woodstock). Their vocals were spot on , and instrumentally , I'D SAY AN 8 OR A 9 OUT OF 10 , most of the time. I figured , once they started playing out more , they should be better , still.

G. Wood said:

First show was The Blues Magoos at a local high school (NJ) in 1968. Saw them again in Woodstock, NY in 2009. 

• February 3, 2013 3:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

G. Wood said:

• January 29, 2013 1:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, The Fall! What was wrong with 'em?

sideshow Barty said:

1st gig i ever went to was the fall in early 79,it was shit,as an impressionable 12 year old i remember thinking,sod this live music bit,im gonna stick to records.

• January 29, 2013 1:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No way, mate, all's fair!... New Oblivions lp out soon enough...

Mr Yates said:

The grass is always greener, you Yankees get the Oblivians, Hex Dispensers, CoCocoma, Raunch Hands......... 

And keep your filthy hands off our beer drinking kangaroo killing, Birdman lovin' Aussie sheilas!!!
      dave said:

You Aussies get alla the Good Stuff!  :D

Any Birdman-kinda stuff is right up my alley!

And Lightning Bolt is waaay too intense for a measly 2-piece!

And those beautiful Australian ladies, ooh!!

• January 29, 2013 6:14 AM CST
    • Untitled

• January 29, 2013 1:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I also got to see Green Day, i don't really care for Green Day, but holy hell, those guys can put on a fuckin show! I was close enough to the front that I could see their wrinkles...I had to wonder if they were tired...I could't tell. 

• January 29, 2013 1:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw The Casualties last year, it was fucking great. They played harder, faster, and more hardcore than the face painted metal heads they were touring with. Got drenched with their beer, stabbed with someones jacket spikes, and a lot of ribcage bruising from being in the front. It was a good time. 

• January 28, 2013 7:01 PM CST
    • Untitled

The grass is always greener, you Yankees get the Oblivians, Hex Dispensers, CoCocoma, Raunch Hands......... 

And keep your filthy hands off our beer drinking kangaroo killing, Birdman lovin' Aussie sheilas!!!
      dave said:

You Aussies get alla the Good Stuff!  :D

Any Birdman-kinda stuff is right up my alley!

And Lightning Bolt is waaay too intense for a measly 2-piece!

And those beautiful Australian ladies, ooh!!

• January 28, 2013 6:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WHEN I WAS IN MY EARLY TEENS ,  I DID'NT GET TO GO TO A LOT OF CONCERTS , MAYBE 2 OR 3 A YEAR , SO , I BEGAN TO COLLECT LIVE ALBUMS , BACK WHEN EVERY BAND HAD TOHAVE AT LEAST ONE....SO I , LARGELY , FILLED THE GAP THAT WAY. ON WEEKENDS , MY BROTHERS WOULD BE OUT , AND THEY'D LET ME USE THEIR STEREO , SO , WELL , I HAD A HELLUVA IMAGINATION.....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel