Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Great Punk Quotes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 21, 2012 10:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lady at gas station: "It's so nice that you take care of those retarded boys"

Monte Melnick: "Lady, they're not retards. They're the Ramones!"

• February 21, 2012 8:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Picture sleeves are for children" Roy Loney , Flamin' Groovies.

(Roy told me this , himself. I could'nt argue with HIM ! Besides  if you had 1/250th of the records HE has , you'd start narrowin' it down , too. It IS a funny line.).

Goldmine : So , tell us what it was like , playing at the Lollapalooza , Roky.

Roky : We went to Margie's . It's an ice cream place. The Beatles ate there , y'know.

• February 5, 2012 5:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

“Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they'll never forget. Don't aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don't do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don't become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish.

-Bruce Sterling

• January 13, 2012 2:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Every word that falls out of Mark E Smith's mouth is a caustic gem!

• January 12, 2012 12:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"FORGET ABOUT THE C*NTS. LOVE YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR FAMILY FIRST. THEN , YOU WILL LOVE YOUR LIFE."     John Lydon.

I don't know why I called Ray Charles a blind N******. I was drunk , I apologize.

ELTON BOREDELLO.

I don't know why I said Lux Interior had just died from a Heroin overdose. I was drunk , I apologize.      Joey Ramone , 1986.

• January 12, 2012 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

God , where I lived , you'd get called "Devo" for a Hell of a lot less than that . And this was well after Devo had gone mainstream , with a large Preppie following. "Fag" , too , of course . That was reserved for original creative writers and students of Shakespaeare : "FAG!". Astounding originality , that was.

dave said:

john doe

People knew Devo for some reason, so that’s what hicks would yell out of their pickups to slag you: “De-e-e-v-o!” or “F-a-a-g!” You could elicit that response  by wearing tight black jeans and a leather jacket with a regular haircut. Here we were in Hollywood, where you’re supposed to be able to do anything and not faze people, and the general public was offended by this style. Everyone I knew just scratched their head, wondering what it was that pissed people off so much, but it gave you the feeling that you were fighting the good fight.

-from we got the neutron bomb

• January 6, 2012 12:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most of the people in Ohio are slugs, but the ones who rebel get real gone.

-poison ivy

• December 31, 2011 1:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Punk was supposed to be about fun. Remember fun?" -John Lydon

• December 30, 2011 12:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're a man after my own heart! I still miss Joey and Dee Dee...

Mardy Pune said:

"We didn't have a positive song until we wrote Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" - Dee Dee Ramone

• December 30, 2011 12:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hip?

Hip is hard to nail.
      {“If you have to ask, you’ll never know.”- attributed to Dizzy Gillespie}

It can’t be taught.
      Hip suspects words and manifestos, and has not developed a recruitment pitch since it doesn’t recruit.

Hip is an understated state of grace that does not necessarily wish the world well.

Hip is self-sufficiency, Jack.

Hip has re-wired the nervous system to accomodate the overload of ecstasy.

-from The Hip, by roy carr/brian case/fred dellar

• December 30, 2011 12:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A few reasons why Ian McCulloch is one of the punkest motherfuckers alive:

"Speak before you think. The sentence will usually be better than the thought."

"You can't teach these posh people the true meaning of soul and belonging."

"All great art can be easily reached and can be understood. It’s not to be feared. And it’s all laced with humour. Shakespeare wrote for the man in the street."

"Mullets are the worst. And Bono did have a mullet, I mean God love him but he was a mullet-wearing dude."

"At heart I'm just a frustrated black soul singer in a white man's underpants."

"Talking to yourself is not a bad thing. Everybody has loads of voices rattling on in their head. The only difference is, I talk back to them. I don't know what quiet sounds like."

• December 29, 2011 4:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Punk should destroy memories...not create them. This 'back-in-the-day' stuff is garbage." --Greg Ginn

• December 28, 2011 4:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson 

(I stole this from the Sympathy site)

• December 28, 2011 3:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!

Dre' once asked some of the people in the audience what they paid to get in , they all said "8 Dollars , Andre"...But , he did'nt believe one woman , and , he finally said , "EIGHT DOLLARS? ASS LIKE THAT , YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT IN FREE !"

Another time , well , I don't think she'd mind , but I won't mention her name w/o her permission. Andre's ogling this , admittedly beautiful , woman , and he says , "There she is ! Sally Goodpussy !". The place goes silent , and , she replies , "YOU could'nt handle it , Andre !"".....

Mike said:

Once saw Andre Williams at the Viper Room here in Los Angeles. Lux & Ivy were in the audience and Andre acknowledging them as kindred spirits said "We may not be the same color, but we came from the same pussy"

• December 28, 2011 3:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"This is real money , we want you to like us." -Fear 

(I've got a couple of unusable singles , thought of giving 'em to a heckler....Or a cigarette that's already been somewhere else.... Only thought of it , tho'.)

• December 24, 2011 1:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Once saw Andre Williams at the Viper Room here in Los Angeles. Lux & Ivy were in the audience and Andre acknowledging them as kindred spirits said "We may not be the same color, but we came from the same pussy"

• December 22, 2011 8:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If oceans was whiskey & I was a dove, I'd dive into it & never come up

Mark e Smith

• December 22, 2011 8:35 PM CST
    • Untitled

"We didn't have a positive song until we wrote 'Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue.'" - Dee Dee Ramone

• December 22, 2011 6:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

''you created the monster,not me''--John Lydon

• December 22, 2011 5:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

" If you say Punk is not Rock 'n' Roll ,  well , that's wrong. And , if you say Punk is not a form of Rock'n'Roll , well , that's wrong. Punk , to me , is the art of cramming into one second what it used to take all night for us to do. When The Elevators would play with , say , The Conqueroo , at the end of the show, when we'd both played our sets , you HAD to jam. Don't even think of what kind of Hell they'd raise if you did'nt jam.".

"I like The Sex Pistols , sure. They remind me a lot of Fiorello La Guardia. My favorite Sex Pistols song? Hmmmmm. I have it. The First Sex Pistols Song I ever heard? I guess "Hot Cars".

"Somebody sent me a Talking Heads tape.   It's hard to listen to !". 

Roky Erickson.

• December 22, 2011 3:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"You've got to decide, then, whether you want to just keep repeating yourself, in the hope that you keep those first people interested, or whether you want to be true to yourself. Which in some sense is more Punk Rock than anything."

-Elvis Costello

"Punk can be a mental ghetto.  People get into it and make all these rules and pretty soon they’re worse than born again Christians and have stupid three hour conversation about things like, which band is a sellout and is straight edge cool or un-cool and it’s just completely idiotic.  So punk has taught me the aesthetic of the outsider, which is great, but it’s also taught me not to get involved in petty little cults." - Jesse Michaels

• December 22, 2011 1:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Guiness is what I drink when I'm not drinking." -Shane Macgowan

• December 22, 2011 12:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Henry Rollins

As long as I tell the truth I feel that nobody can touch me.

• December 22, 2011 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Peter Prescott

Punk rock is unique and individual and is not for everybody, so almost by definition it can’t be popular.

• December 22, 2011 12:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

michael azerrad, from Our Band Could Be Your Life

“The 80s were a little like the 50s- it was sort of a conservative era, money conscious, politically nasty, and Republican… And usually that means there’s going to be a good underground. There’s something to get pissed off with communally.”

-mission of burma drummer peter prescott

“It’s like living in the 60s again. It was like a nihilist hippie movement, that’s all it was.”
      -thurston moore on punk

“People got this idea that ultimately what mattered was the quality of what you were doing and how much importance you gave to it, regardless of how widespread it became or how many records it sold.” - lee renaldo

It was about viewing as a virtue what most saw as a limitation. […]
      You could jam econo on your job, in your buying habits, in your whole way of living. You could take this particulear approach to music and apply it to just about anything else you wanted to. You could be beholden only to yourself and the values and people you respected. You could take charge of your own existence. Or as the Minutemen put it in a song, “Our band could be your life.”
      -from our band could be your life

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel