Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Great Punk Quotes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 29, 2013 3:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

That's the best on of the lot, it sums it up so accurately.

John Battles said:

" AH JUS' PLAY RAHK'N'ROLL MUSIC FOAH TH' KIDS TUH DANCE TEW. "
      Johnny Thunders. 
      Tim Napalm Stegall said:

"Rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be about taking a million fucking years to learn a million fucking chords on the guitar." - Johnny Rotten, 1977

"When your culture abandons you, create your own." Ira Robbins on punk rock, Trouser Press magazine, 1977

• January 29, 2013 9:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'Punk ain't a fashion, it's pure music, its pure attitude and its more importantly a frame of mind! Vivienne Westwood can go fuck herself with a broken dildo!' D Barrat, lead singer with scottish band 'Novacaine For the Hole'

• January 29, 2013 9:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'Ha! Still alive you fat bastard!' Stewie Griffin after going back in time and stopping Kurt Cobain kill himself using Hagen Daas ice cream. Check it if you don't believe! Genius! Cannae get more punk than that!

• January 29, 2013 6:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's an obvious, but genuine, one ... Words of my own mind:

"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."

-Kurt Cobain

• January 22, 2013 4:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"You won't see me working 9-to-5/Too much fun being alive.'  (from Problems)

"[Music] shouldn't be about some cunt on a stage yapping about how terrible it is to be on the dole. 'Cause when I was on the dole it was not terrible. I was being paid for not working."  -John Lydon

• January 22, 2013 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"If you go and see a rock group, you want to see someone tearing their soul apart at thirty-six bars a second, not listen to some instrumental slush. Since '67, music has been chasing itself up a blind alley with all that shit."  -Joe Strummer

• January 22, 2013 1:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That Ira Robbins quote is pure gold. Hundreds of tribes running in the streets...

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

"Rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be about taking a million fucking years to learn a million fucking chords on the guitar." - Johnny Rotten, 1977

"When your culture abandons you, create your own." Ira Robbins on punk rock, Trouser Press magazine, 1977

• January 22, 2013 1:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shhhh!

John Battles said:

I trust you won't , dave , you're into this , too , to the tune of about......I can say no more.

dave said:

Promise I won't tell a soul, John!!

John Battles said:

Me: Do you remember playing this place called The Hot Klub in Dallas in 1980 , and this guy named Bobby Soxx slashed your tires?

Hugh Cornwall: Maybe , not sure...

Me: Well , I thought you might want to know, he's dead , now.

Hugh: Oh. Did you play any part in his demise?

• January 21, 2013 1:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

" AH JUS' PLAY RAHK'N'ROLL MUSIC FOAH TH' KIDS TUH DANCE TEW. "
      Johnny Thunders. 
      Tim Napalm Stegall said:

• January 21, 2013 1:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I trust you won't , dave , you're into this , too , to the tune of about......I can say no more.

dave said:

John Battles said:

Me: Do you remember playing this place called The Hot Klub in Dallas in 1980 , and this guy named Bobby Soxx slashed your tires?

• January 21, 2013 11:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 20, 2013 2:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• January 20, 2013 1:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ME: YOU SHOULD HAVE BUZZCOCKS DOLLS THAT GO "WHOA -OH !" WHEN YOU PULL THE STRING!".

STEVE DIGGLE: WELL , YOU SEE , THAT'S JUST IT. PEOPLE THINK IT'S "WHOA -OH!" , BUT, IT'S ALWAYS BEEN "OH - WHOA !"

dave said:

"This Punk thing sets people on fire."  -Charlie Harper

• January 20, 2013 1:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 20, 2013 12:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did this John Robb enjoy this gig and later had no idea was he was babbling anymore ? :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxc9A6HyoLE

...anyhow, he did end up being right!!! :)

dave said:

They were the nastiest, funniest, darkest, moodiest, weirdest, most glowering bunch of outsider pop stars ever. The most off-the-wall bnad in the whole punk rock canon- a brutal slab of angry, snarling punk psychedelia served up as three-minute slices of pure pop magic. This surly attitude was combined with killer tunes; their bad attitude and dark charisma was a neat extra. They talked and sang about aliens, karate, motorbikes, Yukio Mishima, Leon Trotsky, heroin, Nostradamus, rats, ravens, and alienation... This was no average band.

-Author John Robb, on the Stranglers (from Punk Rock, An Oral History)

• January 19, 2013 4:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They were the nastiest, funniest, darkest, moodiest, weirdest, most glowering bunch of outsider pop stars ever. The most off-the-wall bnad in the whole punk rock canon- a brutal slab of angry, snarling punk psychedelia served up as three-minute slices of pure pop magic. This surly attitude was combined with killer tunes; their bad attitude and dark charisma was a neat extra. They talked and sang about aliens, karate, motorbikes, Yukio Mishima, Leon Trotsky, heroin, Nostradamus, rats, ravens, and alienation... This was no average band.

-Author John Robb, on the Stranglers (from Punk Rock, An Oral History)

• January 17, 2013 3:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"One of the things that made punk very valid was, when you consider the Saints were doing the same thing in Australia at the same time and the Ramones in New York, it was obvious that people wanted to do it all over the world. The Saints were totally removed from anything going on anywhere else. They couldn't get Sounds or NME in Australia. The synchronicity was amazing."  - Rat Scabies, from Punk Rock: An Oral History

• January 17, 2013 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"This Punk thing sets people on fire."  -Charlie Harper

• January 17, 2013 3:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Also the good thing about that time in Amsterdam was that there was a lot of squats and you could do stuff right away- you didn't have to find practice rooms or venues, you could do it all in the squats. We were always involved in the squat scene. You can hardly imagine it now, thousands of squats in Amsterdam. It was so normal at the time.

England was a bit narrow-minded. The squats in Amsterdam were setting up bicycle-repair shops, restaurants, venues, bars, even radio stations. It was optimistic in a way that is amazing to look back on now. A new squat would open and everyone would help set it up, building the stage if it had a venue- all this practical stuff- as well as playing benefits.

That's what you did as a band: you cooked, you built, you made a noise and played benefits with bands like BGK and the Nitwits."  -Terrie, from Punk Rock: An Oral History

• January 17, 2013 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"We have found out... that we cannot trust some people who are nonconformists. We will make conformists out of them in a hurry... The organization cannot trust the individual; the individual must trust the organization."

-Ray Kroc, McDonalds founder (think about that next time you're at McD's.)

• January 16, 2013 5:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well said!

John Battles said:

For that , alone , he should be written in , First President of Australia.

dave said:

Chris Bailey (Saints)

[laughs] I don't mean this in any bad sense, but I always found the Ramones very cartoon-like. When I first heard them, they were like the Archies, an American comic-book kind of band. The Ramones in fact go back to the Shirelles and the Ronettes and that Phil Spector kind of music. For me punk was the wrong kind of tag for the Ramones. I always had a lot of time for them- invigorating pop music.

• January 16, 2013 5:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For that , alone , he should be written in , First President of Australia.

dave said:

Chris Bailey (Saints)

[laughs] I don't mean this in any bad sense, but I always found the Ramones very cartoon-like. When I first heard them, they were like the Archies, an American comic-book kind of band. The Ramones in fact go back to the Shirelles and the Ronettes and that Phil Spector kind of music. For me punk was the wrong kind of tag for the Ramones. I always had a lot of time for them- invigorating pop music.

• January 16, 2013 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Bailey (Saints)

• December 28, 2012 9:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not here for your amusement. You're here for mine.  Johnny Rotten

• December 27, 2012 11:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Punk is the last music with soul"

I cannot remember who said this. But when I remember, it should be epic

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel