Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Too old to rock?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 18, 2012 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The music I play now is more mature, because I'm more mature, but no less Rock 'n' Roll. And if maturity had moved me in a completely different direction (shiver) I guess I'd have to go that way. But, there's an old saying in the punk rock community that a very much stand by: "If you're not now, you never were".

• May 18, 2012 2:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now you're talkin'! You sound like our drummer - case of beer on the deck out back! That's great about Roger's son. The next generation is also 'priceless'. Do you know The Vees? Bobby Vee's sons? An absolutely amazing rockabilly band in their own right, and session players of the first order in any situation. Our drummer's son is also a multi-talented musician, now busy raising his own next generation.  Gerry Gabel from Gonn is Doctor of Music at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, for decades he's been writing everything from Cage-ish performance pieces to classical themed music, previously taught at Dartmouth, USC, has works being performed at universities in Unkraine and elsewhere. Nonetheless he's done the majority of Gonn things since 1996 but finally had to bow out on the latest series with such demanding and diverse other interests & irons in the fire. I've had your album pass through my business a number of times.  Next time, it goes straight to the turntable. I have to hear what you're set's gonna be like on those youtube videos of The Abstracts reunion tour!   

Don said:

No argument with any of the above Craig.

What I'd enjoy most would be to get the guys onto my porch on a summer day with an open tap of cold brew and just wail. That I am hoping we can find time for.

And as regards fans, yup. Would you believe that the President of the Abstracts Fan Club has contacted us. She - about 14 when I first met her and 16 going on 17 when I last saw her - is now a grandmother, retired and living in Florida. But she's still a fan! (and we sent her an autographed copy of our album to show her our ever-lasting gratitude for all she did for and with us back then.)

Of course she has her memories too. Of being a guest on The Cousin Brucie Show -- then the hottest radio show in metropolitan NY -- to talk about the Abs.

Yup, we musicians have quite the life and help create quite the life for others!  Wonderful isn't it? :)))

-don

And this post script - if we do get together, be it for a weekend, a studio session or a tour - we have a bass player lined up. Jordan Ponzi, Roger's son who plays and teaches bass professionally, has offered to step into his dad's size 12 shoes.  So glad Roger's great genes weren't wasted!

CRAIG MOORE said:

Don, so sorry to hear about your bass player. That's tough. It's a sad fact we'll all have to contend with. We have been fortunate so far... knock on wood. I  don't disagree with you in general as to moving into other careers, etc, and leaving the old band behind, but there is a lot of validity to those who regroup. It's about the music, not the money, age irrelevant, and if the spirit moves you, why not? There are countless such examples of careers going in very different directions, including members of my own band. And yet, here we are. I'd bet there is an audience out there who would dearly LOVE to see your band. And I'd bet that after you did it once, you'd be quite pleased to do it again...  You might see something in your music and your band that you hadn't noticed before or forgot about, coming back at you from the audience. It's infectious. Anyway, comment threads can get out of control & get all misconstrued, so I'll bow out here.  All the best !!!

• May 18, 2012 1:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No argument with any of the above Craig.

What I'd enjoy most would be to get the guys onto my porch on a summer day with an open tap of cold brew and just wail. That I am hoping we can find time for.

And as regards fans, yup. Would you believe that the President of the Abstracts Fan Club has contacted us. She - about 14 when I first met her and 16 going on 17 when I last saw her - is now a grandmother, retired and living in Florida. But she's still a fan! (and we sent her an autographed copy of our album to show her our ever-lasting gratitude for all she did for and with us back then.)

Of course she has her memories too. Of being a guest on The Cousin Brucie Show -- then the hottest radio show in metropolitan NY -- to talk about the Abs.

Yup, we musicians have quite the life and help create quite the life for others!  Wonderful isn't it? :)))

-don

And this post script - if we do get together, be it for a weekend, a studio session or a tour - we have a bass player lined up. Jordan Ponzi, Roger's son who plays and teaches bass professionally, has offered to step into his dad's size 12 shoes.  So glad Roger's great genes weren't wasted!

CRAIG MOORE said:

Don, so sorry to hear about your bass player. That's tough. It's a sad fact we'll all have to contend with. We have been fortunate so far... knock on wood. I  don't disagree with you in general as to moving into other careers, etc, and leaving the old band behind, but there is a lot of validity to those who regroup. It's about the music, not the money, age irrelevant, and if the spirit moves you, why not? There are countless such examples of careers going in very different directions, including members of my own band. And yet, here we are. I'd bet there is an audience out there who would dearly LOVE to see your band. And I'd bet that after you did it once, you'd be quite pleased to do it again...  You might see something in your music and your band that you hadn't noticed before or forgot about, coming back at you from the audience. It's infectious. Anyway, comment threads can get out of control & get all misconstrued, so I'll bow out here.  All the best !!!

• May 18, 2012 12:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

matthew rosedon said:

You talk more sense than the rest of us put together, my friend.

Don said:

MzA, I think that if a group (or an individual musician for that matter) has stayed with it, growing together, then going back over their older material could be seen as relaying their foundation stones -- a means of keeping creativity alive.

In the case of The Abstracts all the living members (Roger Ponzi, our extraordinary bass player, sadly died at a fairly young age) went on to other careers -- in some cases quite notable ones in fact. Thus the connection to what the band created in the sixties only exists in our memories and in those of our fans.

But in rereading the initial post that started his thread I realize that the focus was much broader. Can an older person still "rock" -- that is keep the qualities that are at the heart of rock and roll. And to that I have to answer "yes!"  Love of life and living. Openness to new ideas and new ways of seeing the world. These are qualities that to my way of thinking are as basic to living as taking breath. 

Indeed, if I have any concerns about the interest being shown in `60s rock it is just that the sixties are over. The experiments that made up the sixties social questions now have been answered. (And some of the answers -- achh! -- are closer to what the old folks said they'd be then what we young people wished and argued for)  So yes, make the music live. Make the spirit behind the music live. But please, please don't get caught up in imitating the style of those times. To do that is akin to high school students doing a science class "experiment" that in fact is no experiment at all. How can it be? The answer is already known. And so too with the "experiments" of the sixties. The anti authority pose while eating the spoils of that society. The communitarian-ism in place of real individuality. Etc. Etc. No! Instead rock on. TRULY rock on! :)

-don

• May 18, 2012 12:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Craig, all the power to you for finding joy in the continuity of your life. You found your space and love it. I have nothing to say to that but "good for you! Go for it!"

But to reach the conclusion you reached about the choices the members of The Abstracts have made while knowing so little about our lives is, well, to put it kindly, unwise. Let me explain...

One of the band members went on to a life that including producing several motion pictures, one of which is already considered a cult classic. He also managed the film and TV career of one of Motown's greatest stars, was Director of MultiMedia Productions for Sony, and today is the CEO of a world music company.  He still writes music and regularly records with big names in both his home city -- L.A. -- and in Nashville.

Another band member went on to compose music for film and then turned his attention to his second major interest - imaging - and spent many fruitful years developing specialized photographic techniques for medicine and science. His name appears on literally hundreds of scientific papers and several books. There are more than a few people walking this earth because of diagnostic tools that he gave the medical profession.

Yet another band member continued on his course as an aviation artist and historian. His works are on display in such places as The Smithsonian Institute. He is the author of several books the latest of which is of interest enough to have landed him a recent guest spot with Jay Leno. And he is currently occupied as a consultant with NASA for the designs for the display of the recently retired Space Shuttles.

Yup, sounds like guys who have gotten "really old inside."  What a shame they "let go" to do this stuff instead of continuing to play their `60s semi-hits.

But for all that I do rejoice for you in the joy your own choices obviously continue to bring you.

-don

CRAIG MOORE said:

Hi ya Don - wellllll different strokes for different folks. "not who you were" misses the point altogether.(snip)... Don bless you but to me it sounds like The Abstracts have gotten truly old on the inside, it's sad to lose touch with your younger self since there is no societal reason to let go of it or be so dismissive of it. God bless the audience and all of the still active groups & perfomers from all eras & all fields - pop, the teen idols, blues, jazz, classical, dixieland, big bands, folk, punk, metal, and ROCK 'N ROLL! Go down swingin', literally.
    • May 18, 2012 11:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi ya Don - wellllll different strokes for different folks. "not who you were" misses the point altogether. Most if not ALL reformed garage bands are not 'pretending', they're excited about revisiting music they made that is still vital and people are hungry to hear live by the original artist if possible, grey hair or waistline be damned. It's a bit dismissive of bands like the Ventures who have kept going and entertaining audiences globally until one by one they started dying or becoming incapacitated, John Lee Hooker who practically died on stage, the Rolling Stones who will kick anybody's ass on any day of the week for 3 hours at a time purely because they like to do it (they sure don't need the money), The Pretty Things who just will not quit, the Trashmen who stand stock still these days but still play wonderfully, how about Bob Dylan? Larry Tamblyn was actually a teen-idol type first but today keeps the Standells on the scene, The Sonics still have a great time and sound great, The Sorrows have even reformed. This is all for the fun & love of it, none of these bands do it for the money, it ain't there to be made in anything like big numbers on the lower end and isn't needed at the top end. On the other hand some bands & artists have never given up and continued to do it for a living all this time. I saw Bill Haley's Comets in Clear Lake 3 years ago and the drummer was 88, just kicking ass & taking names while being the most animated and comical personality on stage, he got a standing ovation from the all-ages audience, and there are so many others. I saw Little Anthony & the Imperials a few years ago and they killed me just as they did in 1965 on a Dick Clark Caravan. Rokie Erickson from the 13th Floor Elevators is back out and better than he has been in years. Speaking for myself and GONN, we are who we were and never ceased to be, just less hair and a bit wider here & there. We got back together in 1990 and never looked back. Everybody had/has jobs, careers, businesses, families, but we fit in tours of Europe, new recordings, shows in the old home territory, etc, just because we wanted to. Our inspiration in the 60's were the girls and in 2012 it's the girls of all ages (wives & grand-daughters now included) and fans around the world and most of all the music itself that keeps us inspired to go out and do it. The new album is wilder and better than the last. I'm not going down easy, I'm going down screamin'. Like someone else on this site said, nobody ever says "aren't you a bit old for this" to blues & jazz guys, but it's thrown at rock at rollers as if it is understood that if you're in a rock 'n roll band you have an expiration date. NOT. Ask Keith Richards. Sure some musicians 'move on' and lose their r'nr soul and while too bad that's OK too. Do your thing. There may be a few retreads who are trotted out for all the wrong reasons, and if the interest isn't there why bother. But "Be who you are, not who you were" is a shoe that only fits those who gave up on or lost their ability or interest in rock 'n roll, which suggests it was a superficial thing anyway. It's not a brush that should be applied to an entire genre. Over 47 years I've done nearly everything from Top 40 in the 60's (the basis of all garage bands) to heavy rock glitter & glam to blues and psychedelia, the singer/songwriter thing, and eventually full circle back to classic rock & 50's/60's, releasing multiple albums incliuding all original material of my own with former heroes as guests, but the most fun I have is with these former teenage buddies of mine in GONN that made some records that will outlive us. What a bonus that is! We still get a huge kick out of playing together and recording together, and most of all seeing the joy in the faces of people of all ages who come to our infrequent but always rockin' gigs.  We'd be happy to be playing "Doin' Me In" and "Blackout Of Gretely" and the rest every night of the year, until it's a physical impossibility.  Those songs are our children and our claims to fame, like Jagger says it's a gas-gas-gas. Tired of doing them? P-shaw. Music from our youth becomes a touch-stone for the audience as well, we are priveleged to have contributed. I feel sorry for people who had that in their youth and then lost it. It's as they say, "priceless." Or to paraphrase the old Ringo Starr Buick commercial, "this ain't your grandparents music" - (hmmm, I'm a great-grandfather, you have to go back a bit further to get the point I guess!) The older crowd loves 'going back' yes, they get to relive a bit of the feeling the music gave them at the time. But the younger crowd loves the music they discover there, they're reaching, searching for something they see as worthy of the search, something of substance they don't hear often enough in music today. Melody, structure, excitement, creativity, optimism, FUN. The original artists performing live is a disappearing art form that the audience never tires of. If I had a $ for every time some kid comes in my record shop and says "I was born in the wrong time" I could retire (but wouldn't!). It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years. Don bless you but to me it sounds like The Abstracts have gotten truly old on the inside, it's sad to lose touch with your younger self since there is no societal reason to let go of it or be so dismissive of it. God bless the audience and all of the still active groups & perfomers from all eras & all fields - pop, the teen idols, blues, jazz, classical, dixieland, big bands, folk, punk, metal, and ROCK 'N ROLL! Go down swingin', literally.
    • May 18, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Agreed!

matthew rosedon said:

Don said:

MzA, I think that if a group (or an individual musician for that matter) has stayed with it, growing together, then going back over their older material could be seen as relaying their foundation stones -- a means of keeping creativity alive.

In the case of The Abstracts all the living members (Roger Ponzi, our extraordinary bass player, sadly died at a fairly young age) went on to other careers -- in some cases quite notable ones in fact. Thus the connection to what the band created in the sixties only exists in our memories and in those of our fans.

But in rereading the initial post that started his thread I realize that the focus was much broader. Can an older person still "rock" -- that is keep the qualities that are at the heart of rock and roll. And to that I have to answer "yes!"  Love of life and living. Openness to new ideas and new ways of seeing the world. These are qualities that to my way of thinking are as basic to living as taking breath. 

Indeed, if I have any concerns about the interest being shown in `60s rock it is just that the sixties are over. The experiments that made up the sixties social questions now have been answered. (And some of the answers -- achh! -- are closer to what the old folks said they'd be then what we young people wished and argued for)  So yes, make the music live. Make the spirit behind the music live. But please, please don't get caught up in imitating the style of those times. To do that is akin to high school students doing a science class "experiment" that in fact is no experiment at all. How can it be? The answer is already known. And so too with the "experiments" of the sixties. The anti authority pose while eating the spoils of that society. The communitarian-ism in place of real individuality. Etc. Etc. No! Instead rock on. TRULY rock on! :)

-don

• May 18, 2012 10:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don said:

-don

• May 18, 2012 10:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

-don

• May 18, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don said:

I do not think one has to be too old to rock, but one can be.  Rock comes from within.
      And by that I do not mean it as condescension. A person can still be a creative musician but no longer be a rock and roller.  Life has simply led them to other things. To me there is nothing wrong with that. Others, however, take their life experience and use it to make better RnR. Nothing wrong with that either! :)

What is to me sad, however, is someone who has grown past their rockin' years who feels the need to pretend that they've not.  And it is especially sad (to me) if they are forced to play the same old song(s) that they played in their younger days if/when they no longer feel them.

When my `60s group The Abstracts recently had an album released of material we had recorded back in the `60s we had some interest shown in out doing a European tour. But in the final analysis we realized that while all of the living members of the band still "rocked" we had individually moved on style-wise.  Me to naked acoustic rock and blues.  To redo our old songs once or twice would be a hoot. But to be forced to do it night after night would not.  No, I'd rather be in the audience then that!

As one member of the band put it. `Can you imagine playing one of out more popular songs for the twelve millionth time, for instance on a cruise ship for wishing-they-were-young retirees?'  Ach! 

But the odd thing is that this person still regularly plays with a band for the pure pleasure of it, doing much of the general `60s repertoire. And I dig back deeper -- often into the Chess catalog from the fifties.

I say: Be who you are, not who you were. And enjoy it! :D

-don

• May 18, 2012 10:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I completely dig what you're saying Don.  Nobody should feel compelled to relive their youth unless you're really feeling it.  It's why nostalgia acts can be so depressing, but people who continue along same path of music into adulthood inspiring.  Certainly nobody can throw stones at recent releases by Mission of Burma or an array of other people who keep putting out new stuff.  I guess you have to get the sense that the music still really means something to the performer.  

I saw Sparks a few years back in London when they were doing their 21 records in 21 nights thing, I was there for "Indiscreet".  That record that came out in 1975 and there were fans around me who obviously had been waiting since then to hear these songs live again.  But the crowd also had kids in their 20's, probably hearing some of these songs live for the first time.  It gave one a warm rock feeling inside seeing all of them in one place, united in loving that record.  

PS Thanks for the kind words URGENT FURY

Don said:

To redo our old songs once or twice would be a hoot. But to be forced to do it night after night would not.  No, I'd rather be in the audience then that!

• May 18, 2012 9:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

man ..My bro is 70 and substantially older than me and has played in rock surf punk and cowpunk bands since 1958 ......too old to rock will be the day they nail him in his box

• May 17, 2012 9:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I do not think one has to be too old to rock, but one can be.  Rock comes from within.
      And by that I do not mean it as condescension. A person can still be a creative musician but no longer be a rock and roller.  Life has simply led them to other things. To me there is nothing wrong with that. Others, however, take their life experience and use it to make better RnR. Nothing wrong with that either! :)

What is to me sad, however, is someone who has grown past their rockin' years who feels the need to pretend that they've not.  And it is especially sad (to me) if they are forced to play the same old song(s) that they played in their younger days if/when they no longer feel them.

When my `60s group The Abstracts recently had an album released of material we had recorded back in the `60s we had some interest shown in out doing a European tour. But in the final analysis we realized that while all of the living members of the band still "rocked" we had individually moved on style-wise.  Me to naked acoustic rock and blues.  To redo our old songs once or twice would be a hoot. But to be forced to do it night after night would not.  No, I'd rather be in the audience then that!

As one member of the band put it. `Can you imagine playing one of out more popular songs for the twelve millionth time, for instance on a cruise ship for wishing-they-were-young retirees?'  Ach! 

But the odd thing is that this person still regularly plays with a band for the pure pleasure of it, doing much of the general `60s repertoire. And I dig back deeper -- often into the Chess catalog from the fifties.

-don

• May 17, 2012 12:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, both pushing 70, and the last time I saw Charlie he was practically dying from the flu and still performed with more energy and rocked harder than just about any other punk singer I've seen of any age. Iggy Pop is 25 years older than I am and has twice the energy I had at my "peak".

Mike said:

Charlie Harper

Lemmy

Not as old as some of the other's mentioned, but I think they are both pushing 70.

• May 16, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think of Hound Dog Taylor first, in his late 60's he was rocking harder than ever on Beware of the Dog! I'm 48 and I'll stop only when I'm dead or incapacitated. I think this question is the opposite of the pertinent question today. Step up yr game, you whippersnappers!

• May 15, 2012 9:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hells Yeah!!!

CRAIG MOORE said:

GONN is now all 60+ and I'm 65... we just put out a new album called "GONN 45 Fully Loaded" that's just as energetic as "Blackout Of Gretely" or "Doin' Me In" although of course those 2 tracks captured lightning in a bottle for a bunch of teenagers.  In 1967 people thought I screamed too much on "Doin' Me In", now I'm listening to the new album and I'M  wondering if I'm screaming too much! Ha! NEVER! God bless The Trashmen, The Sonics, The Pretty Things, The Sorrows, Jim McCarty, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Ray Davies, Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney, all still at it, even my friend Rudi Protrudi is 50+, the second generation is getting up there too, damn the torpedoes, full scream ahead --- Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!

• May 15, 2012 9:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

GONN is now all 60+ and I'm 65... we just put out a new album called "GONN 45 Fully Loaded" that's just as energetic as "Blackout Of Gretely" or "Doin' Me In" although of course those 2 tracks captured lightning in a bottle for a bunch of teenagers.  In 1967 people thought I screamed too much on "Doin' Me In", now I'm listening to the new album and I'M  wondering if I'm screaming too much! Ha! NEVER! God bless The Trashmen, The Sonics, The Pretty Things, The Sorrows, Jim McCarty, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Ray Davies, Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney, all still at it, even my friend Rudi Protrudi is 50+, the second generation is getting up there too, damn the torpedoes, full scream ahead --- Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!

• May 14, 2012 11:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks G!  Brokaw is a really cool fellow, just so interesting and bright.  Live he really is a force to be reckoned with.  Blows me away!

In a not very rockin' moment I saw the GoGos this past weekend.  I will say their set was tight and they looked great, but there was not a lot of really connecting with the audience.  I was never one for Belinda Carlisle, but I did sort of realize how the rest of the band really are rather ass kicking women.  I will completely give them their due as musicians and groundbreakers, though their hits were rather chirpy and light, but still, as a group of 5 women who wrote and played their own songs, I gotta doff the cap.  Glad to see them still playing in their mid-50's.

• May 11, 2012 7:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

never
    • May 11, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well ,they , and others like them , are entitled to what they can get.They've worked their balls off. From what I can see , Iggy's not hurting for money , but his little toe works harder than most of these younger , supposedly cutting edge bands , and people like him should be celebrated for staying in it for the long haul. 
       I admit , I have'nt listed to "Loco" in quite some time , but he never went away and he's never looked back , yeh < "Don't Look BAAAAAACK !!!!" And , I'm not referring to the SHAME of Boston , but , the PRIDE OF BOSTON'S SONG BY THAT NAME.... 
      MzAmar said:

I just saw Willie Loco Alexander play last night, he's 69 and he still looks and sounds great.  Decidedly rocking.  (I actually just looked up his age, I'm shocked!)  Iggy Pop is 65 now.  It's funny to think of he and Willie Loco trying to figure out Medicare Part D.  

I don't think anyone is too old to rock.  It's in your soul.  And I think rock keeps people young.  Rock is a wonderful thing.  

Y'all know I have a website devoted to this very topic, yes?  www.rockerzine.com.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about how rocking and age are not mutually exclusive.  

I have seen some people who are old and no longer rock (shall we name names?) and who should hang it up, but I salute those who keep on keeping on, despite how it gets harder to do as time goes by.  Nobody says about an old Blues or Jazz guy "aren't you a little old to do this?" but people feel free to say it to rock musicians who are just on the brink of middle age.  It's absurd.

• May 11, 2012 5:29 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Nice site, Mz A. I just read the Brokaw interview. I've seen him play a few times with Evan Dando. Great player.

• May 11, 2012 9:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just saw Willie Loco Alexander play last night, he's 69 and he still looks and sounds great.  Decidedly rocking.  (I actually just looked up his age, I'm shocked!)  Iggy Pop is 65 now.  It's funny to think of he and Willie Loco trying to figure out Medicare Part D.  

I don't think anyone is too old to rock.  It's in your soul.  And I think rock keeps people young.  Rock is a wonderful thing.  

Y'all know I have a website devoted to this very topic, yes?  www.rockerzine.com.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about how rocking and age are not mutually exclusive.  

I have seen some people who are old and no longer rock (shall we name names?) and who should hang it up, but I salute those who keep on keeping on, despite how it gets harder to do as time goes by.  Nobody says about an old Blues or Jazz guy "aren't you a little old to do this?" but people feel free to say it to rock musicians who are just on the brink of middle age.  It's absurd.

• May 10, 2012 9:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

:)

URGENT FURY said:

Dude, you didn't have time to get old...

• May 10, 2012 7:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw the Sloths a couple of months ago at the American Legion Hall in Highland Park. They're old AND they pretty much brought it. Now, they rocked in a different way than the Shag Rats that evening, but they rocked none the less.

• May 8, 2012 6:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

PS. I sometimes sit in with the great house band in a bar a few miles away. The bass player is 60, the guitar player 64 & the drummer 72. Admittedly the drummer's getting a little shaky(!) but the kids in the bar couldn't give a damn & have a ball.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel