Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Worst Show?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 15, 2012 8:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What is your worst show you have ever been to? Mine ws at last year's fun fun fun fest I stayed at the front of the black stage to watch danzig for 5 hours for nothing but disappointment he did play his full samhain set but only vampria and 5 seconds of night of the living dead before he got cut off and he blamed the promoters for not letting him go on with his full set when it was entierly his fault the next day I just sat at home and listened to my Misfits records by myself....

• January 24, 2012 7:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We saw The Pandoras in 84 in NYC and they were AMAZING!! Went to see them a few years later in London Ontario and was expecting the same. We got there early, we were going to try and interview the band for the zine we were doing, What Wave. Got there, the band was doing sound check and i guess things weren't going as well as the band expected. We had a camera out and Paula screamed out 'no pictures!!' ...they were dressed in jeans etc, not the 60's outfits as on the first LP cover. We tried to talk to the band, but were kind of brushed off and Kim Shattuck called my fan club card (ya, i was an official Pandora fan club member) 'cute' and kind of laughed at it...they probably figured i was a girl band groupie or something, even though i was there with my wife.

Well the band left the club and the place started to fill up, a lot of young kids came in and they all sat on the dance floor in front of the stage. We thought that this was kind of odd as a dance floor is just for that, not for putting your ass on before the band plays. By the time The Pandoras hit the stage, the entire dance floor was filled with kids (mainly girls) all sitting down and they remained that way while The Pandoras played...the music, pseudo metal that was NOWHERE anything like The Pandoras of their first LP...total crap as far as we were concerned...and the kids were still sitting on the dance floor!

My wife made us leave as she could not stand the total bullshit and noise....we went to a nearby club and saw UIC and they FUCKING ROCKED as they always did back then....here's some video of UIC....might have even been the same night:

http://youtu.be/0BHb0ocm_1g

Gave up on The Pandoras at that point, but still really love the first LP on VOXX.

• January 22, 2012 4:34 PM CST
    • Untitled

The worst gig I can remember in the last 10 years was the second to last time Guitar Wolf came over, it was the tour after Bass Wolf died. Maybe they were still getting over it, I don't know. They just stood around posing with Guitar Wolf feeding back his guitar for about half an hour and then left the stage. They attempted to play the odd song but they were shit to. Performance Art I can kind of understand but that was just total shit.

• January 22, 2012 12:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

When i was an undergraduate, there was a band caled Babydoll playing at a student dance. It was just awful, as the band had no energy and the lead singer was dying on stage (though not in the Tommy Cooper sense), owing to the lack of stage presence. It was as dire as the state of television or the English education system today. If they were around today, they'd be called "indie landfill".

• January 22, 2012 1:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I took my son to see the Bad Brains about 2 years ago or so. Band was spot on, but HR just stood or sat at the mic and spoke the lyrics, not sing them. No energy, at all. My kid was 15 or 16 at the time and was appalled. Finally he kind of came alive on the last song (at The Movies)

The Hook Up said:

The worst show I went to has a couple of odd points to it. I went to see Bad Brains (or Soul Brains as they were known then) about ten years ago. The messed up part was the band were absolutely stunning. Just perfect. What made it the worst show was, it cost $20 to get in and they played for nine minutes. H.R. came back out and sat behind the drum kit attempting to play drums while smiling at a girl in the crowd. He kept waving at her until she waved back, which he took as some sort of green light, so he went into the crowd and slow danced with her with no music playing. The band came back out and yelled at him to come back up. He eventually got back on stage and they played half of "Banned in D.C" and then H.R. left. Earl accompanied my friends to another bar and hung out with us, which was amazing. I later found out that the band got into a fist fight with H.R. hours after the show. So, in short: Amazing band. Nine minute set. Total weirdness for a half hour then another forty seconds of music. But hanging out with Earl was incredible.

• January 22, 2012 12:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The shins! Fuck were they were dull.
      And the smashing pumpkins...bloody horrible stuff. Went with my house mates at the time it cost me $16.00, luckily Kim salmon and the surrealists were playing in the front bar, they were killer as always.
    • January 21, 2012 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's so weird ....If anyone would like to read more about the weirdness surrounding The Bad Brains , go to www.roctober.com ,and click on "Black Punk Time" . I did'nt write the (Naturally) dominant piece on The Bad Brains , but I threw in a few things that were used in it. My Brother's band , The Howling Dervishes, opened for The Bad Brains at the legendary Hot Klub in Dallas , in 1982. I could'nt go , I had tests to study for, and was still only 18. The mostly West Indian crowd , expecting Reggae , responded coldly to my Brother's band. I did'nt even know the local West Indian / Rastafarian community were even AWARE of The Bad Brains at the time.    When The Bad Brains took the stage , they did 4 or 5 of their Punk Rock songs , then played an otherwise all - Reggae set , which my Brother said was good , but , I figured the pitiful few people who knew of the band (Outside of the East Coast.) knew them more for "Pay To Cum" , "Banned in D.C." , "The Big Takeover"  , etc.

Four years later (After H.R. got out of jail.) , the band , of course , toured on back of the SST album , "I Against I" (I think. Traded my copy in , years ago , tho' I guess I would'nt mind having it , now.). They played twice in '86 in Dallas. Some weird shit went down , like the fact that there were , like 4 opening acts (None of 'em HC , if you were wondering.), and it was cutting into their time. But , both shows I saw were great. I almost did'nt see the second show , because my friend and I were broke , or damn nearly , so , we went and saw Reverend Horton Heat across the street , as that was free , or maybe $2 or something. When his set was over , we walked across the street , and I found a $10 bill , just enough to get us both into The Bad Brains show, after it had started. Later , when the show was letting out  , someone shot a gun off from a roof , across the street , smashing the club's large picture window , but , fortunately , the bullet did'nt actually hit anyone. The only casualty was a drunk who got cut by flying glass. He just dusted himself off and walked away. My friend kept the the drunk's discarded , but nearly full , half - pint bottle. I did'nt say my friend had a lot of class.   

The Hook Up said:

The worst show I went to has a couple of odd points to it. I went to see Bad Brains (or Soul Brains as they were known then) about ten years ago. The messed up part was the band were absolutely stunning. Just perfect. What made it the worst show was, it cost $20 to get in and they played for nine minutes. H.R. came back out and sat behind the drum kit attempting to play drums while smiling at a girl in the crowd. He kept waving at her until she waved back, which he took as some sort of green light, so he went into the crowd and slow danced with her with no music playing. The band came back out and yelled at him to come back up. He eventually got back on stage and they played half of "Banned in D.C" and then H.R. left. Earl accompanied my friends to another bar and hung out with us, which was amazing. I later found out that the band got into a fist fight with H.R. hours after the show. So, in short: Amazing band. Nine minute set. Total weirdness for a half hour then another forty seconds of music. But hanging out with Earl was incredible.

• January 21, 2012 7:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Easy to answer: The Smiths at Hammersmith Odean, 1985. Couldn't hear the band; the place was full of wiggling, Smithhead zombies singing along to every word. Scary scary scary in an uncool way. Left 1/2 way through out of sheer boredom.

• January 17, 2012 9:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I meant The Invaders , not The Intruders , you know, band names that could either be Soul OR Garage , SO , buyer beware , unless  you like both.

John Battles said:

I HEAR YA. I JUST EXPECTED A LOT MORE OUT OF MARKY , I SAW HIM SEVERAL TIMES WITH THE RAMONES , AND A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THE INTRUDERS. HE WAS ALWAYS VERY PROFESSIONAL. MAYBE IT JUST WAS'NT A GOOD PAIRING. HE JUST SOUNDED REALLY OFF. I CAN'T BELIEVE JERRY ONLY IS STILL DOING IT. I MEAN, IF HE HAD THIS GREAT FUCKING BAND AND A PROPER SINGER OR SOMETHING , WELL , MAYBE...  
      Mike Humsgreen said:

At least you got Marky Ramone, I saw "The Misfits" last year and it just had what's his name telling us we weren't rocking hard enough. Now the audience has a role to play but these guys were headlining the bloody festival and sucking at it. It was Ruhrpott Rodeo and according to the facebook site they have Marky Ramone's Blitzkreig this year with a comment about them being good. I'm hoping this is a joke.

John Battles said:

....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

OK , IT WAS'NT THE WORST SHOW I EVER SAW.....

THAT HONOR WOULD HAVE TO GO TO ANY STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS GIG FROM 1982 - 87. iRONICALLY , ONE OF THE LAST SHOWS I EVER SAW THEM DO WAS TOLERABLE , ANYWAY.  HONORABLE MENTION WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE MAKERS, AND , IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , SONNY BURGESS' LAST TOUR , PURE FAIR CIRCUIT .

I ACTUALLY MISSED THE BATUSIS THAT NIGHT , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. PEOPLE WERE LEAVING IN DROVES. SOME OF THEM , PROBABLY MORE TOLERANT OF CORN THAN I AM.

• January 17, 2012 12:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Worst show was not a punk show, but New Order on their Low Life tour. Coulda just stayed home and listened to the LP, and they had zero stage presence. Still like Warsaw and Joy Division, though.

• January 17, 2012 11:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alison:

Saw that same band a coupla years after you did, with my kids as they wanted to see the band. The best part was the songs they played in the intermission before this band started playing...ie early Damned, early SLF, Ruts, and lots of other cool 77 punk sounds. It was a great leadup to a HUGE disappointment as the band appeared about as bored as i was watching/hearing them....zzzzz.....

Alison said:

Fall 2001 -  I hear there is this new New York band, supposed to be amazing, supposed to be all "garage rock" but also influenced by two of my favorite bands, The Velvet Underground and Television.  Get to the 40 Watt, see 5 "outifits" and 5 "haircuts" preening around the stage, a sonic commercial for Urban Outfitters, no edge, no sex, no dirt, not even reverb, the crowd of pretentious Athens hype hounds nodding with encouragement. Left after two "songs," embarrassed, blasted Sister Ray in the car ride home in an attempt to erase my mistake...

• January 17, 2012 3:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Black Keys right after Magic Potion came out. It was at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. it pretty much showed me that I would probably never like them again. The show was full of drunk bros yelling at the band to play certain songs. They were pretty boring as well. The Black Angels also played that night so half the show was tolerable. That was 2006 mayber 2007 I can only image what their shows are like now, headlining Coachella and all. 

• January 16, 2012 7:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's like that , sometimes. Some acts are REAL inconsistent. I saw BOC once , in 1980.  It was a great show , I thought , but I was a little peeved that they did'nt have their laser show. I was 15 , that's where my priorities lay.   Two years later , they played at my then - place of employment , SIX FLAGS ! I missed them on my lunch break , but was going to stay after work and catch the night time show. But , my ride backed out , and I had to miss the show to get another ride....Sorry , nothing to do with bad shows. IF i COULD REMEMBER ALL the terrible opening acts of my"Stadium Rock" days , gee , there was Head East , Mistress (Both with BOC.) , Legs Diamond , and , I guess I shoulda loved 'em , but , The Babys (Both with Alice Cooper.) , and others that time has been merciful enough to let me forget....Oh , yeah , Willie Nile opening for The Who , in 1980. Never got it with him.

Ghislaine Korb / THE PUSH-BACKS said:

BLUE OYSTER CULT IN 2002,LONDON,UK.TE-RRI-BLE.I was a huge fan of the 1971-72-73 era,and to see them as old clowns was pathetic.it was so ''prepared''--it was like the death of my heros onstage.Giants falling down.Plus i got tons of shit by a couple of nerds 'cos i was smoking a cigarette right in front of the stage--that chick was OUTRAGED I was smoking.(i know smoke sucks,but its r-n-r,c'mon!)...Left after two songs.

but i saw them again in 2008 in san francisco,they were awesome!:)

• January 16, 2012 7:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alison , whoever they were , that's the greatest review , good or bad , of their entire career. All done up like a doggie's dinner , and they still had to use the CBGB's men's room. Please try to see the wondrous irony of it all : )

Alison said:

Fall 2001 -  I hear there is this new New York band, supposed to be amazing, supposed to be all "garage rock" but also influenced by two of my favorite bands, The Velvet Underground and Television.  Get to the 40 Watt, see 5 "outifits" and 5 "haircuts" preening around the stage, a sonic commercial for Urban Outfitters, no edge, no sex, no dirt, not even reverb, the crowd of pretentious Athens hype hounds nodding with encouragement. Left after two "songs," embarrassed, blasted Sister Ray in the car ride home in an attempt to erase my mistake...

• January 16, 2012 3:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rasputina, Everyone sat on the floor and one of the band members scolded me in front of the club for not sitting on the floor. Really?

-Erika Ebola

• January 16, 2012 1:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

BLUE OYSTER CULT IN 2002,LONDON,UK.TE-RRI-BLE.I was a huge fan of the 1971-72-73 era,and to see them as old clowns was pathetic.it was so ''prepared''--it was like the death of my heros onstage.Giants falling down.Plus i got tons of shit by a couple of nerds 'cos i was smoking a cigarette right in front of the stage--that chick was OUTRAGED I was smoking.(i know smoke sucks,but its r-n-r,c'mon!)...Left after two songs.

but i saw them again in 2008 in san francisco,they were awesome!:)

• January 16, 2012 11:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think the most miserable time I ever experienced at a live show was when I accompanied a friend to see Tenacious D. The place was packed with your typical frat boy/douchebag crowd. I felt like I was at a "Dude Bro" bar. And the music was boring and really, really lame. I just kinda hung back in the back until it was over, bored outta my skull. I could never understand the appeal of that "band."

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 16, 2012 9:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just think about shows with my own band. Last halloween was so fuckt. I have never played so drunk before. A picture was taking of me and I have piss spot on my jeans. But people did like the mess, not all thou. Some were leaving. That's sad to see that. But fore now i'll be drinking maximal 3 beers before playing...

But the worst professional gig I have seen would be Foo Fighters playing in the biggest sport-palace of Iceland. I was coming to see Queens of The Stone Age but they were playing before FF, the ticketprice was expensive and I told myself to check out FF even thou I did'nt like theyr music at all. I handled maybe 4 songs. The sound was terrible and this were all songs I had learned to hate from too much radio playing. David Grolh seems to be nice guy thou. Sad his music isn't like that. 

Then another one was Placebo on the second biggest sport palace of Iceland (I got tickets for free). The sound was not bad or anything like that. Just their performance and music was crap. They always pose in their videos as a trio. The were at least 6 musicians on the stage, but the session players were all in the shadow, no light on them, maybe by their own wishes but I personally think thats silly.

• January 16, 2012 8:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I HEAR YA. I JUST EXPECTED A LOT MORE OUT OF MARKY , I SAW HIM SEVERAL TIMES WITH THE RAMONES , AND A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THE INTRUDERS. HE WAS ALWAYS VERY PROFESSIONAL. MAYBE IT JUST WAS'NT A GOOD PAIRING. HE JUST SOUNDED REALLY OFF. I CAN'T BELIEVE JERRY ONLY IS STILL DOING IT. I MEAN, IF HE HAD THIS GREAT FUCKING BAND AND A PROPER SINGER OR SOMETHING , WELL , MAYBE...  
      Mike Humsgreen said:

At least you got Marky Ramone, I saw "The Misfits" last year and it just had what's his name telling us we weren't rocking hard enough. Now the audience has a role to play but these guys were headlining the bloody festival and sucking at it. It was Ruhrpott Rodeo and according to the facebook site they have Marky Ramone's Blitzkreig this year with a comment about them being good. I'm hoping this is a joke.

John Battles said:

....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

THAT HONOR WOULD HAVE TO GO TO ANY STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS GIG FROM 1982 - 87. iRONICALLY , ONE OF THE LAST SHOWS I EVER SAW THEM DO WAS TOLERABLE , ANYWAY.  HONORABLE MENTION WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE MAKERS, AND , IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , SONNY BURGESS' LAST TOUR , PURE FAIR CIRCUIT .

I ACTUALLY MISSED THE BATUSIS THAT NIGHT , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. PEOPLE WERE LEAVING IN DROVES. SOME OF THEM , PROBABLY MORE TOLERANT OF CORN THAN I AM.

• January 16, 2012 8:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• January 16, 2012 6:49 AM CST
    • Untitled

My worst show though, do local bands count? My friend played my birthday party when I was 18 and I had to tell them to stop, I was sharing the party with some others who had their birthday at the same time but they forced me to tell her.

As for professional gigs, last year's Hurricane festival easily was crap. I had lots of fun don't get me wrong, but I never realised how bad mainstream rock festivals are and the last time I went to one I hadn't realised that there was a big world of less known stuff out there. Anyway I tried to stand through a Jimmy Eat World show (crap). Tried to get into a tent where Sick of it all were playing (was full). Incubus sucked, I know but some bands are ok live and thought I would give them a go. And Kasabian were certain that they were in Hamburg.

• January 16, 2012 6:43 AM CST
    • Untitled

John Battles said:

• January 15, 2012 9:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel