Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: misogyny

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 21, 2012 12:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Any of you ladies noticed a change in guy's attitude towards chicks with guitars?

• February 18, 2013 3:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I CLICKED ON FOR A REPLY. DID'NT MEAN TO. I'M A GUY - DEEEE DEEEE  DEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 18, 2013 3:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

While I agree with you , Ghislaine , we need to establish some common ground , or we all stand to lose. It can be fun , and challenging in a good way , to play in a co-ed band. I have'nt been inmany bands ,but, nearly all of them had female members.Personally , I liked the dynamic. I was in a band with a woman who was a far better guitarist than me ,bu t, While I could'nt do what she did , she could'nt do what I did , and together , we really had something.

I really thought Punk was going to break down those barriers. Some women function better in an all - female setting, and , that's fine , too.....One of my favorite current femme - fronted bands , The Sirens , went from being four women to three women and two men.

They still KILL , when they choose to play , that is......

It's true, a lot of men can't handle women being sexually aggressive , or just aggressive at all.When I saw The Pandoras , the other 0men stayed away from the stage  area , they were horrified. I dug it. They were turning the tables on the guys.    I heard Texas Terri was kissing all these guys in the front row , and they freaked. HA HA HA !

• June 17, 2012 5:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Many people are THAT uptight about something....It's not always about establishing a ranking order in the music "Scene". But , sure , there are men who , maybe , did'nt get into sports , but take that same mentality  into music . Trust me , they can be just as condescending to other males. The guitar stores are full of them , frustrated  guitar heroes who , maybe , are technically superior , but , they can't play in bands  because they're so egotistical (Or because contemporary tastes in music have passed them by.) and so devoid of ideas.....And , they would'nt know how to present their wankery as a solo (No pun intended) act.  But , I can readily imagine how some of these hard-ons treat women , even women who've already surpassed them as musicians.

Ghislaine said:

yeah,and there still are asshole way less ballsy and less talented than chicks ,yet trying to push around women playing r-n-r.There will always be that kind of ridiculous crap coming from (quiet a few) men...and not only on the artistic level,of course.The only thing to do is keep pushing back their attacks.

• May 3, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

yeah,and there still are asshole way less ballsy and less talented than chicks ,yet trying to push around women playing r-n-r.There will always be that kind of ridiculous crap coming from (quiet a few) men...and not only on the artistic level,of course.The only thing to do is keep pushing back their attacks.

• May 2, 2012 7:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's messed up. :( All my guy friends love girls with guitars. I've taught them how to play a bunch of songs too.

I've read stories though, and I don't think I've ever had to deal with anything that bad. There's some jerks out there man, and even girls pushing other girls out of playing? That makes me so mad.

• February 13, 2012 8:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree , it must never be a question of gender , or the idiot notion that the differences between us are somehow bad..... Also , guys who try to discourage women from playing music need to realize , they will , regardless. Besides , I'm sure they'll find women who like men with little coctail wiener thingies. 

Ghislaine Korb / THE PUSH-BACKS said:

haha yeah!not here to bitch about ,but to dennounce a vast male population of music towards chicks with instruments.Jsut last week,i was inquiring about the hourly fares for some rehearsal rooms here iin Montreal,and the guy goes''for vocals,it's $15 an hour''--assuming i am NOT here to play any instrument.Pheeeeeew!

i have many times shut some guy's skills on guitar and music generally.No later than that jam early November last year.The guy was desperatly trying to put me down--criticizing my sound,my amp,my guitar,trying to get others to change the structure of my tune,ect,but when we got to play 30 minutes all together, he stopped playing the guitar,he was so unconfortable.Yiikes!Fucking miserable.Yeah,still a loooooooonnnng way to go.lets keep the fight goin'on.Hard.Art is by no means a question of sex gender.

• February 7, 2012 3:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, absolutely -- I've had other women be really stupid too -- like, there can only be 1 girl in the band (WTF?). I don't use my twat to play this thing sister.

Oh, and the vocals query? Seriously? That's just ridiculous. Fuckin'ell. 

That guy you were playing with could have just been a miserable bastard straight up, ya know? Hey asshole, if you don't like my sound, there are guys who will.

Sure, I know it's better now than 30 years ago, but Geeeez.

We got your back at the Hideout. At least, some of us do. Just don't do what I did and quit. I can't cry about it now, it was necessary at the time, but hey. You know what I'm sayin. GO!

• February 7, 2012 10:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

haha yeah!not here to bitch about ,but to dennounce a vast male population of music towards chicks with instruments.Jsut last week,i was inquiring about the hourly fares for some rehearsal rooms here iin Montreal,and the guy goes''for vocals,it's $15 an hour''--assuming i am NOT here to play any instrument.Pheeeeeew!

i have many times shut some guy's skills on guitar and music generally.No later than that jam early November last year.The guy was desperatly trying to put me down--criticizing my sound,my amp,my guitar,trying to get others to change the structure of my tune,ect,but when we got to play 30 minutes all together, he stopped playing the guitar,he was so unconfortable.Yiikes!Fucking miserable.Yeah,still a loooooooonnnng way to go.lets keep the fight goin'on.Hard.Art is by no means a question of sex gender.

• February 6, 2012 4:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey 7jdh14 and Ghislaine:

I just have to believe it's better than when I was playing. It would depress me to no end if it hasn't changed. I was told, hey, you can't own that guitar, that's a guy's guitar (that was from a soon-to-be-ex-bf). I got told, ya play like a guy. Ok, like what the fuck does that mean exactly? I took it as, stop doin' that will ya?

I was cool to have around when wasn't any good. I noticed I wasn't as cool when I started playing better than some of the guys. It was incredibly frustrating.

mel 

• January 27, 2012 11:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

yeah,there is improvement ,but there is still a LOOONG way to go:in 1992,when i bought my first PRS,the guys in the store(Paris) were outraged that i'd dare to buy a pricey all-hand made american guitar and even dared to ''advise'' me to opt for $200 fender rather than begin on a classy PRS.Ah.

i was told sooooooo many times,''oohh you play leads too?''ect,ect,that kind of crap.But it also has changed.Slowly but surely,and this is thank to cool guys who leave us alone doing our shit and people like Joan Jett (among others) who open doors and pave the way.

7jdh14 said:

Not a lady here, but I'm loving St. Vincent's guitar playing right now -- and I'm seeing other guys liking it too.

It's getting better, but there's still a ways to go.

• January 27, 2012 12:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not a lady here, but I'm loving St. Vincent's guitar playing right now -- and I'm seeing other guys liking it too.

It's getting better, but there's still a ways to go.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel