Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: CHESTERFIELD KINGS R.I.P.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 24, 2012 11:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i love being the bearer of this bad news. i was told from a very inside source that the Chesterfield Kings have (finally) called it a day. :)

• February 26, 2013 12:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey all-Just so you all know-it is not sad or a shame about the band being over-I ENDED IT BECAUSE IT WAS TIME TO MOVE ON-It had a good run-some good times & Bad times-but time to move on, ya know??? I am TOTALLY INTO MY OWN TRIP RIGHT NOW AND WOULD NEVER TURN BACK-THIS IS WHERE IT IS AT FOR ME-my new album "MIssissippi Murderer" is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO SOUND LIKE--AND=all this stuff about the Cynics and the C. Kings on the warpath-let me set this straight-I AM AND HAVE BEEN FRIENDS WITH GREGG KOSTELICH OF THE CYNICS/GET HIP and the CYNICS for decades-NEVER any kind of bad vibes-so whoever is making up this bullshit it is UNTRUE. Got it? As far as me being an asshole-no idea why anyone would make that accusation because I was never rude or nasty to anyone. And the "I've heard stories from a former drummer of the Cynics that the CKs can be real assholes, especially Gregg Prevost" is just heresay,

• November 14, 2012 9:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wow, that took a while!...it's an awesome package

• November 14, 2012 9:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We have a winner. I'll send it tomorrow, Rob.

Rob Filardo said:

hay if you still have it, i'd love to get a copy of it. Rob Filardo/455-C South Goodman Street/Rochester, NY 14607/USA

swt said:

I've got an extra promo copy of The Chesterfield Kings' Live Onstage ... If You Want It. Comes with a DVD of the performance.

I'll send it to the first one who sends me his or her street address.

• November 14, 2012 6:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hay if you still have it, i'd love to get a copy of it. Rob Filardo/455-C South Goodman Street/Rochester, NY 14607/USA

swt said:

I've got an extra promo copy of The Chesterfield Kings' Live Onstage ... If You Want It. Comes with a DVD of the performance.

• November 13, 2012 9:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Or maybe I'll just give it away on my radio show.

swt said:

• November 10, 2012 12:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 10, 2012 12:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool:)

Victor Lopez said:

All the Chesterfield Kings-haters in the house will be disgusted with the release of the first 7" single by Greg "Stackhouse" Prevost, in a Blues vein similar to the sound of the "Drunk on Muddy Water" Cd from 20 years ago. Out now on Barcelona's Mean Disposition label, part of the Penniman records empire. Me, I'm delighted.

GREG “STACKHOUSE” PREVOST
      Mr. Charlie b/w Rollin Stone

(Mean Disposition)

MD45001

First solo recordings by the man who fronted the Chesterfield Kings during the last…er…35 years! A lesson in raw blues which is bound to fascinate the toughest types in your neighborhood. It’s a pity that the recent de-luxe reissue of “Exile on Main Street” did not include an extra CD with the demos from the album, as these two waxings by Greg and his slide guitar would have fit like hand in glove. Limited edition of 450 copies.

• July 10, 2012 12:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All the Chesterfield Kings-haters in the house will be disgusted with the release of the first 7" single by Greg "Stackhouse" Prevost, in a Blues vein similar to the sound of the "Drunk on Muddy Water" Cd from 20 years ago. Out now on Barcelona's Mean Disposition label, part of the Penniman records empire. Me, I'm delighted.

GREG “STACKHOUSE” PREVOST
      Mr. Charlie b/w Rollin Stone

(Mean Disposition)

MD45001

First solo recordings by the man who fronted the Chesterfield Kings during the last…er…35 years! A lesson in raw blues which is bound to fascinate the toughest types in your neighborhood. It’s a pity that the recent de-luxe reissue of “Exile on Main Street” did not include an extra CD with the demos from the album, as these two waxings by Greg and his slide guitar would have fit like hand in glove. Limited edition of 450 copies.

• July 3, 2012 4:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're welcome:)

Jerrie O'Koon-Hughes said:

I looked through your pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

MikeL said:

Yes, his hair is spectacular, but is it his own?  All things aside about his personality, he is a great performer, and I place him alongside Jagger, Iggy, and Stiv as one of the great frontmen.

I saw a show from each of those tours.  I saw the first one in September at Irving Plaza in NYC, and I saw the other two at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland in October and November.  I have some pictures posted here, if you're interested.  I hope you liked the go go dancers, because I took A LOT of pictures of them, one in particular;)

Sorry to hear this.  You really can't beat them for great garage rock.  I saw them only once live at one of the Little Steven tours but their show was great.  Greg Provost seemed to be on another planet but you couldn't take your eyes off him.  He also has some of the best rock n roll hair, ever!

• July 2, 2012 10:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I looked through your pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

MikeL said:

Yes, his hair is spectacular, but is it his own?  All things aside about his personality, he is a great performer, and I place him alongside Jagger, Iggy, and Stiv as one of the great frontmen.

I saw a show from each of those tours.  I saw the first one in September at Irving Plaza in NYC, and I saw the other two at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland in October and November.  I have some pictures posted here, if you're interested.  I hope you liked the go go dancers, because I took A LOT of pictures of them, one in particular;)

Sorry to hear this.  You really can't beat them for great garage rock.  I saw them only once live at one of the Little Steven tours but their show was great.  Greg Provost seemed to be on another planet but you couldn't take your eyes off him.  He also has some of the best rock n roll hair, ever!

• July 2, 2012 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the Plan 9 update!

• July 2, 2012 8:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

plan 9 were great in the early days...the last LP i heard was Ham & Sam Jammin' 1989, and by then they sounded way more like a 'normal' rock band and much less psychedelic or garage...it wasn't terrible, but not great either....seems like they kept putting out records for another 10 years...the Chesterfield Kings, on the other hand, were always great!...when i saw them at Little Stevens thing in Seattle, they blew the Supersuckers and NY Dolls away...spoke to a couple of them after and they seemed genuinely shocked that i drove 3 hours to see them...anyone who loves them should check out St Phillips Escalator...PRODUCED BY ANDY BABIUK & GREG PREVOST, and they sound VERY close to CK's...interstingly, they opened for Cannibal Corpse once!...not sure if this link will work others, but if it doesn't, look em up on here.

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/StPhillipsEscalator?xg_source=profiles_friendList

Mon Slav Chaos said:

Found out about them and Plan 9 around the same time in the early 80s.

Preferred Plan 9.  Do give them credit for tenacity, though.

What happened to Plan 9?

• July 2, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 2, 2012 6:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 2, 2012 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They will be missed and now all the op vinyl will cost more get in now.

• July 2, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey I saw Plan 9 too!!! Aside from the film, I haven't heard that name for a long time. I really liked them!!! Also, feel free to join the Kings conversation but yeah, does anyone know what happened to Plan 9???

• July 2, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Found out about them and Plan 9 around the same time in the early 80s.

Preferred Plan 9.  Do give them credit for tenacity, though.

What happened to Plan 9?

• July 2, 2012 11:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The C KINGS were one of the Top bands on my ROBBY RUSELL GARAGE-MANIA RADIO SHOW/

We saw them live a few times , including opening for the NY DOLLS and also saw them with the lead singer of the Standels singing Sometimes good guys dont wear white. They did a great live version of the EYES-I'M ROLLED OUT and they were kind enough to do a promo for my show.They were cool!!!

• July 1, 2012 8:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep, the 'Kings have been defunct for a while now. But they stayed together in one form or another for over 30 years, and were one of a handful of bands that brought the wyld garage sounds to a dive near you, live and rockin'. It's was one thing to sit around with your buddies and some brews and listen to Nuggets/Pebbles, but to go out and see this band that stepped out of a time machine playing in your local 'new wave' bar was nothing short of amazing. I was lucky enough to be there for their first gig (making the rounds for years on a bootleg video), and to work for them for a little, and pretty much catch their whole career. Amazing, amazing stuff that helped to give birth to a scene that's still going strong to this day. R.I.P. the Chesterfield Kings!

• June 30, 2012 11:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper, you're my HERO! I agree with everything you said!!!

• June 30, 2012 11:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What really sucks, though, is that Feathered Apple deleted their account here because of this stupid bullshit. As hard as it is to actually get people to COME HERE and use this site (and keep them coming back), it kills me to see people actually leave the site because of a little flamewar over the Chesterfield Kings, for fuck's sake. Take that as a lesson to watch what you say or post publicly about certain band members and other people involved with the scene. Posting that you've "heard stories" about people isn't cool... this he-said/she-said crap doesn't belong here. Other folks reading this site may very well be close friends of theirs and will take it very personally. Remember the Golden Rule, gang, and put the shoe on the other foot... how would you like it if someone posted something like this about one of your friends on another message board that they "heard stories" that your friend was an asshole or whatever... you wouldn't like it, either. So let's avoid this kinda crap here, please. Thank you.

MikeL said:

Don't worry, Rob.  Shit happens.  

Rob Filardo said:

whoops...now look what i started...sorry guys.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 30, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Long live the Kings!

• June 28, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LUV PAUL!!!! I just HAVE to have him!!! I just have to marry HIM!!!! Oh wait....I'm in the wrong crazed fan section....neva mine.....

• June 27, 2012 3:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't worry, Rob.  Shit happens.  

Rob Filardo said:

whoops...now look what i started...sorry guys.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel