Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Pre-Surf "Party Band" Instrumental Rock'n'Roll

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 22, 2013 7:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Many years ago, as I was just beginning to become obsessed with surf rock, I happened to pick up a copy of "Intoxica!" by the Revels on vinyl at a local music store.  I love the album and have treasured it ever since and though the biography inside intrigued me and my knowledge of and hunger for surf rock has grown immensely since then, I never really delved any deeper into that pre-surf rock "party band" instrumental sound of the late fifties.  Today I came across a recording of "Camel Walk" by The Saxons and the fire was lit once again.  Please, can anybody recommend their favorite tracks/artists from this slightly more primitive sub-genre or perhaps any amazing compilations I might be able to get my hands on?

• March 30, 2013 6:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The early Wailers fall under that banner , even the early Ventures , as they were never a Surf band , anyway. Charlie Gracie's "Live Stockton Globe , 1958" , The Fireballs , Bobby Wayne, Johnny and The Hurricanes , Viscounts , stuff like that.  Link Wray , goes without saying.

• March 27, 2013 10:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks...the latest episode starts playing if ya just go to my page on here actually...

• March 22, 2013 3:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know too much about what Michael Draine mentioned but they sound great but I too would have mentioned anything with the Cramps stamp of approval.  And Howie's show also comes highly recommended.

• March 22, 2013 2:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well, that is my extreme specialty, something i have been collecting since the 70s and something i feature heavily (but not solely) on my long time radio show, oddly enough called INTOXICA! Here's a link to my archive of some old shows where you can hear many hours (weeks!) of this type of stuff (plus garage, frat, rockabilly & lotsa more, with guests and other surprises...). I have been doing the show for 7 years & have a big following of crazed collectors...

http://jellsmayhemsgarage.podomatic.com/

enjoy!

• March 22, 2013 2:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are some great pre-Surf instrumentals on THE CRAMPS JUKEBOX and SONGS THE CRAMPS TAUGHT US 1-3, on the STRICTLY INSTRUMENTAL series, the GREASER INSTRUMENTALS series, INSTRUMENTALS FOR GREASERS, the THAT'S SWIFT instrumental compilation, BRIGHT LIGHTS by Wade Curtiss & The Rhythm Rockers, and “Take It off” by The Genteels  (on I BELIEVE IN MUSIC by the Gross Prophet).

• March 22, 2013 11:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

That's what I am curious to know more about, as I'd like to know more about frat rock.
    • August 27, 2013 7:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Check out the Las Vegas Grind series.  Not all of it is instrumental, but it's definitely that sound.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel