Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Overkill: The Untold Story of Motorhead by Joel McIver (2011)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 15, 2012 11:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whereas the 2002 autobiography "White Line Fever" told the life story of frontman and bassist Lemmy Kilmister, this volume by Joel McIver focuses more on the other members of Motorhead as well. The chapters are broken down by years from before 1971 to 2011. There is a lot of material about the classic Clarke/Taylor/Kilmister line up as well as the early days of punk. The current line up with Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee is well represented too. The book concludes with information about Motorhead's latest offering The World is Yours and the rocumentary Lemmy. This is certainly a book for Motorhead completists but also a good overview for those new to Motorhead. Any Motorhead fans out there?

• December 24, 2012 9:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They'll probably be a footnote at best (I have'nt seen the book.) , but , Sam Gopal and The Rockin' Vicars rate a mention , too. Lemmy's days as a Hendrix Roadie , AND his brief stint with The Damned (As "The Doomed") might have some amusing anecdotes , as well. Hawkwind were definitely Lemmy's gateway drug to Motorhead , but , reportedly , he's renounced their one hit , "Silver Machine" (Which was just as uncommercial as anything else the band did in their prime.). Funny, last time I saw Motorhead , it was playing on the loudspeakers before they went on. 

• February 15, 2012 12:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lemmy / Motorhead fan here since day 1!! I've been diggin' Lemmy well before MH......the Hawkwind years......that's where any decent book on Lemmy / Motorhead should start. There is no unlinking Lemmy's music with the lads in MH to HW. Even the name Motorhead comes from a Hawkwind tune. I think this book's gonna be fun to read :). Thanx :)

• September 2, 2013 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'd like to check out this book too. Does it discuss the Wallis' time with the band and the recordings that would later go on to be On Parole album?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel