Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Dick Dodd of The Standells Diagnosed With Stage Four Cancer.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 2, 2013 7:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dick Dodd , legendary Lead Singer and Drummer for The Standells , has been diagnosed with Stage Four Cancer. Available reports were somewhat conflicting.

He is reported as having Spinal , Liver, Spleen and Esophogeal Cancer , though a spokesman retracted the statement about the latter. He was also reported to have two tumors to the brain , though treatment on that will be put on hold , as other factors have impaired his ability to eat. Combined , the reports strongly suggest that all of these reports , barring the Esophogeal Cancer , are true.  Surely , more information will be made available in a matter of days. Dodd told the press that he is determined to perform again.

Dodd had recently rejoined The Standells , whose current lineup includes founder/Keyboardist , Larry Tamblyn , "Try It " era Bassist and founding member of Love , John Fleckenstein ,and special guest Guitarist , Johnny Echols from Love. However , his rapid departure caused some low - key controversy. I don't know the whole story behind that , so I won't get into it here. More information on how you can donate to Dodd's medical fund , or just send him an encouraging message can be found on Dodd's Face Book , and elsewhere.    Dick Dodd enterred showbiz in the 50's on "The Mickey Mouse Club" (His Father was Jimmy Dodd , co - host of the program.). He drumed for classic Surf groups , The Bel - Aires and Eddie and The Showmen , and joined The Standells (In'64?) , appearing on TV SHOWS LIKe "tHE bING cROSBY sHOW" , "bEN cASEY" , AND , OF COURSE "The Munsters"  . tHEY ALSO APPEARED IN THE MOVIES , "Zebra in The Kitchen" , "Get Yourself a College Girl" , and teh Teen-Drug Exploitation fave , "Riot on Sunset Strip".

IN 1966 , THE BAND BUSTED WIDE OPEN WITH "DIRTY WATER" , FOLLOWED BY LESSER HITS LIKE "SOMETIMES GOOD GUYS DON'T WEAR WHITE" AND "TRY IT".

They split up in 1968 or '69 , though future Little Feat leader , Lowell George would briefly join the band in Dodd's absence , and a later comeback attempt was made in the early 70's , with only Tamblyn and Guitarist , Tony Valentino in tow. The two would try to reform the group , again , in the early 80's , briefly bringing Dickie back into the fold. The classic "Dirty Water" lineup played at the Super 60's Festival in 1986 , WITH lOVE , sKY saxon , Eric Burdon , Spirit and others ,  and the band would turn up off and on into the new millineum.  In 1999 , Valentino , Tamblyn and Dodd played a triumphant set at The Cave Stomp in New York , doubly impressive , as they had to follow an astonishing set by the monks. Both bands took the prize that night , if for totally different reasons.  Dickie also fronted Joshua in  the early 70's , who , despite a wretchedly Hippie - sounding name , released one LP , of Latin - tinged Hard Rock , not thoroughly removed from The Garage. He's performed Soul - flavored Rock under his own name and as The Dodd Squad since THE 80'S.

Think a good thought for the man. We all owe him a debt.

• November 16, 2013 2:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is sad and makes me angry because CANCER SUCKS AND I FUCKING HATE IT. So sorry to have read this news when it hit FUBook. I wish him healing and sending good thoughts his way -- a legend.

• November 16, 2013 2:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks , Melissa. I don't write this stuff to make myself look good. I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WOULD HAVE BEEN FLOODED , BY NOW , yes , but not to make myself feel better. As a GARAGE PUNK FAN , THE NEWS MADE ME FEEL LOUSY. We can only hope he's getting the best care available. Dick Dodd and The Standells were the state of the art mid-60's Garage band. The one most people think about when considering the genre. We've lost some of the true greats in the last few years......

• November 16, 2013 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really sorry to hear this.  Dodd and the Standells are true legends who inspired us and many others.

Our hearts are with him and his family.

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage

http://www.theedirtybeats.com

• November 27, 2013 9:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sad news. Sorry to hear about this.

Kind, thoughtful previous posts. 

• November 27, 2013 10:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THANK YOU. Sometimes , I feel like people don't know how consequential this is.......I had , very early on , the understanding that , as DonWaller put it ,"The Standells Were THEE Punk Band of The Sixties" , and , arguably , the American Rolling Stones , known as much for their defiant stance , one of individuality moreso than affected arrogance.....Something that made them , somehow , even more Stones-like . "We piss anywhere , man.".

• December 1, 2013 2:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Real shame, just when he was getting back with the band. Dick, & The Standells were/are great. They were, & will continue to be, a great inspiration.

• December 1, 2013 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DeadBeat Combo , Thank you. I don't really know what happened. I heard some things from people associated with The Standells , about why Dickie had left The Standells almost as quickly as he'd rejoined them. Nothing scandalous , of course.  But , it does'nt make any difference , now. He must have been diagnosed shortly after rejoining the band , which was , what? 6 or 8 months ago , and that must have necessitated his decision. 

I was lucky , I saw THEE Standells , TONY , DICK AND LARRY , IN '99 ,  and they were on FIRE. I met Dick , briefly , he was really cool.

• December 5, 2013 12:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

R.I.P. Dick Dodd

• December 5, 2013 1:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn.  The guy is a true legend.

RIP, Dick Dodd.  May your garage ever burn brightly.

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage

http://www.theedirtybeats.com

• December 5, 2013 1:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Angry Breed ,    Somepeople may not recognize this as is the longer , superior , version of "Rari" , which was included in Sundazed's great 4 CD  reissue series.....Which , incidentally , does'nt get much feedback , since it came out almost 20 years ago , though it does'nt seem so long ago , now.  It has , collectively , tens of bonus tracks , inc. "Poor Man's Prison" , also recorded by Gene Vincent , "Misty Lane" also recorded by you - know who , and one of the best versions of "Batman" , ever , just for a start. Thanks for putting that up.

• December 6, 2013 4:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, "Rari" has always been one of my very favorite Standells tracks. Check out some really inspired singing and drumming from Dick Dodd in this clip shot at the 1999 Cavestomp.

• December 6, 2013 3:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEAH ! FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW , THAT WHOLE SHOW IS ON YOU TUBE , ONE SONG AT A TIME.

DICKIE STILL HAD THOSE GREAT DRUM FLOURISHES FROM PLAYING IN THE REFORMED EDDIE AND THE SHOWMEN , BEL - AIRS , ETC.....

HIS VOICE SOUNDS SO POWERFUL . HE OPTED OUT OF THE PREVIOUS STANDELLS ' REUNION (MID - LATE 80's) BECAUSE HE OPTED TO

DO SOUL - ROCK MUSIC WITH THE DODD SQUAD. I FOUND OUT , HE HAD A WEDNESDAY NIGHT ENGAGEMENT AT THIS SHITHOLE BAR NEAR MY BROTHER'S PLACE , WHEN HE LIVED ON LAGUNA BEACH. I MET DODD ,BRIEFLY , AT THIS SHOW (above) , THE CAVESTOMP IN '99 ,  AND I TOLD HIM , I WOULD HAVE GONE TO SEE HIM AT THAT BAR , BUT THAT WEDNESDAY WHEN I WAS THERE WAS CHRISTMAS ! I THINK , DOING SOUL MUSIC , THOUGH , WAS GOOD FOR HIS "ROCK" VOICE. REAL SINGERS GET BETTER WITH AGE.   

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel