Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: From lumps to lager, Beer in Africa

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 24, 2012 5:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

STATISTICS seldom do justice to Africa. Take beer consumption. The average African sips a mere 8 litres of commercially produced beer a year. Compared with the 70 litres or so quaffed by the average American, it sounds like Africans are bunch of party-poopers. But this is not so.

Africans chug admirable quantities of homebrew, made from sorghum, millet or more or less anything fermentable (see picture). A survey by SABMiller, a London-listed brewer, found that Africa’s homebrew market is four times bigger than the formal market, measured by volume.

Brewers are betting that Africa’s fast-growing middle class will want to trade up. Homebrew can be excellent, but it is highly variable, sometimes lumpy and lacks a certain cachet. SABMiller, which operates in 37 African countries, is trying to woo homebrew-lovers with sorghum and cassava beers that are consistently good. They are slightly sweeter and fuller-bodied than a mainstream lager, and cost a third less (though still far more than untaxed homebrew). SABMiller’s Eagle, the world’s first clear sorghum lager, launched in 2002 and brewed in Uganda, is already one of east Africa’s best-selling beers. Demand for SAB’s Impala, the world’s first commercially produced cassava beer, brewed in Mozambique, is already outstripping supply after its launch four months ago.

SAB (formerly South African Breweries) was founded in 1895 to quench the thirst of gold prospectors around Johannesburg. Though now a global firm, it is pouring investment into Africa. Before its acquisition of Foster’s of Australia in December, Africa (excepting South Africa) accounted for only 12% of SABMiller’s sales, including soft drinks and bottling. Yet Africa attracts nearly a third of the group’s total investments—$1.75 billion in the past four years, most of it on beer. The group’s lager revenue on the continent, excluding South Africa, is growing by double digits.

With its French joint-venture partner, Castel, SABMiller has 60% of Africa’s commercial beer market in volume terms, including a near-monopoly in South Africa. But other global brewers are keen to expand in Africa too, as they seek growth markets to compensate for flat or falling beer sales in the rich world. Heineken, already the biggest brewer in Nigeria, recently paid a princely $163m for two Ethiopian breweries put up for sale by the government. With Diageo, the leader in Kenya, these four brewers account for around 80% of the African market.

So far profit margins do not match those on offer in the rich world. But things should improve as incomes rise. Sales, which doubled by volume in the past ten years to over 100,000 hectolitres, could swell by 50% in the next ten years, reckons Morgan Stanley, a bank. The main bottleneck appears to be capacity. Most of SABMiller’s 17 African breweries are operating at or near full throttle.

SABMiller’s experience in Africa helps. It woos tipplers not only with traditional African beers but also non-alcoholic malt drinks, another fast-growing business. This plugs the brand and nudges people to trade up, from homebrew to mass-produced beer and finally to premium brands.

Some fret that brewers’ sexy ads promote alcohol abuse. Graham Mackay, SABMiller’s boss, brushes such criticism aside. His firm is a “force for good”, he says: it creates legions of jobs, provides a steady income for farmers and is the biggest taxpayer in some countries. It also sells cold drinks in a hot continent whose billion citizens are just starting to have a bit of spare cash. That’s not a bad strategy.

• March 29, 2012 3:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, many thanks! I just checked out their website, ya can even follow 'em on Twitter! I think I've seen Waggledance here (or else it was a micro with the same style), anything w/ honey, like anything w/ peppers, I-am-there. Jesus, they sell firkins!

Found hobgoblin reviews in Beer Advocate here. They all sound near and dear to my heart.

Any more thoughts, I'd love to hear 'em.

Cheers, Dave

• March 29, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Waggledance and Hobgoblin. Rebellion Brewery in Marlow Bottom is close to my heart as it was set up by 2 lads from my old school.

• March 28, 2012 3:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Miike, it's beer, you *can't* over-think it!!!

I will always try any drink with weird ingredients in it, but will always stick w/ the Reinheitsgebot for my go-tos.

BTW, I've been asking for people's fave beers, esp. malty ones and Belgians. Any shout-outs?

• March 28, 2012 3:26 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, after posting I kinda noticed I missed the point but thought it was an interesting fact. But then Nigeria has like 20 times as many people as Ireland.

Is it still really beer if it isn't made from hops and barely? I mean in Germany it isn't, in Britain for instance cider is when you make it from apples. But still you find flavours and extra stuff in the actual 'beer' that you don't get in Germany like honey in Waggledance.

If you ignore both ingredients and use seaweed is it beer because it's savoury and brown? Maybe I've been living with Germans for too long and overthinking this.

• March 25, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

[Thought ya might find this innereestin']

Kvass

Description:
      Kvass is Russian for "leaven" and is a 16th century beer-like beverage made with grains - wheat, rye, barley, etc - or dark rye bread, and often has additions of sugars, birch sap, berries, fruits; the process is akin to ancient beer brewing. It's basically a fermentation of what's around with a simple bakers yeast. It's low in alcohol and often flavored with herbs or fruits to knock the bitter edge out.

Top Beers - Kvass
      WR Reviews
      1 Kvass
      Kvass / 1.80% ABV
      Beaver Brewing Company 3.5 16
      2 Kvas
      Kvass / 0.50% ABV
      All Stars Bakery 3.41 27
      3 Nicola
      Kvass / 1.20% ABV
      Deka Brewery 3.21 10
      4 Moskvas Klassicheskiy
      Kvass / 1.20% ABV
      Moskovskaya Pivovarennaya Kompaniya 3.08 16
      5 Khlebny Kray
      Kvass / 1.20% ABV
      Baltika Breweries 3 17
      6 Ochakovskiy Kvass
      Kvass / 2.00% ABV
      Ochakovo 2.84 65

How was this list calculated?

Lists are generated using a Bayesian estimate that pulls data from millions of user reviews (not hand-picked) and normalizes scores based on the number of reviews for each beer. The general statistical formula is:

weighted rank (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C

where:
      R = review average for the beer
      v = number of reviews for the beer
      m = minimum reviews required to be considered (currently 10)
      C = the mean across the list (currently 3.19)

But enough nerd talk. Let's drink a beer!

• March 25, 2012 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Before Ireland? I foresee a major P.R campaign in the Emerald Isle, ha!

But I mainly posted that to show Yanks that you can make beer outta Sorghum and just about anything, seaweed even.

• March 25, 2012 11:37 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I think if you take the whole of Africa then the figure would be drastically skewed because of the many muslim countries. And even if you took any one country the dreadful poverty would also skew the figures. But Nigeria is the second biggest Guiness consumer in the world, after Britain and before Ireland.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel