Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Digital Distribution Services - Which is best?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 21, 2012 9:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been using TuneCore to digitally distribute my stuff, but I'm not that crazy about it because it's pretty costly ($49.99 per year per release). While they do get your release in a lot of different stores, I often can't afford to renew the distribution on a particular album because it simply doesn't sell enough copies to cover this cost. If the album isn't selling enough to pay for itself, then what's the point of having it in the stores? So I always make sure that I keep enough money in my TuneCore balance to pay for future distro renewals. 

Then, recently, someone told me about CD Baby and how they only charge a one-time fee. I haven't had time to look into CD Baby any further, but I was hoping someone here could tell me more about it. What are the advantages (if any) over TuneCore? I guess one obvious advantage is your release will be available in the CD Baby online store (TuneCore doesn't have anything like this), but I do like TuneCore's flash media player that you can see on each of the Hideout Comp pages, like this one.

I'm not crazy about the idea of having to switch from one service to the other. For one thing, I'm pretty sure that all reviews and ratings on any of the existing sites for my releases will be lost, since TuneCore would first have to take my release down from those sites before I could redistribute it there via CD Baby (basically a new listing for the album would have to be created). Am I right?

Anyway, please post below your thoughts on this. Or maybe there's another service out there better than either of these that I'm unfamiliar with that we should know about, too.

Thanks!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 26, 2013 2:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cheers again... for physical distro of LP, I'd recommend www.interpunk.com.

Fuzzed, fucked up & forty... www.facebook.com/zorchproductions

• January 21, 2013 7:53 AM CST
    • Untitled

I don't know if they do vinyl. 

• January 21, 2013 6:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm considering a 12 inch release for the NEW dRIVIN bEATS debut LP. Is CD Baby the way to go for distribution? 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel