Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Atomised, or The Elementary Particles - a mini-review

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 2, 2012 8:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you ever read Atomised (UK title) or The Elementary Particles (US title and closer to the French) be sure to have a fortifying B-12 shot first. The novel mixes quantum physics, sex addiction, harsh critiques of the New Age and hippie movements, Kant, Nietzche and asexual reproduction in a braver than Brave New World scenario. Depressing, bleak and it makes the movie Prometheus look like a kindergarten tale. Actually, my new favorite book which makes me a bit of a sicko I guess. The author Michel Houellebecq was known for writing a bio of H.P. Lovecraft before this novel brought him notoriety. Not for the fainthearted . . . has anyone read this one or any other of Houellebecq's works?

• July 3, 2012 10:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey...

I didn't know there was a movie version of the Elementary Particles. I think Houellebec is a fascinating character - his general display of misanthropy, his public feud with his mother, his ill-fated electronic record - I can't get enough.

I have read the Elementary Particles and really enjoyed it, but I like The Possibility of An Island even more. I just went back to it again recently as part of a year of reading dystopias (which is a separate post I'd been hoping to make). It's a bit dated, but it remains poignant. If you haven't checked out his Lovecraft book, make the time - it really changed the way I read HPL.

Thanks for the post.

Stay tuned... I'll upload some tracks from his recording.

Dan

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel