Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Thee Oh Sees announce indefinite hiatus

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2013 11:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

From www.ConsequenceOfSound.net on Friday

"Following a truly prolific 14-year-run, which has included a dozen or so full-lengths, piles of singles and EPs, and countless more contributions to various compilations, Bay Area garage rockers Thee Oh Sees are going on an indefinite hiatus. Frontman John Dwyer broke the news during last night’s show at San Francisco’s Great American Music Hall, telling the crowd, 'This will be the last Oh Sees show for a long while. So dig in.'

"In an interview with SF Weekly, the band’s tour manager Annie Southworth confirmed the news, noting that Dwyer was looking to take some time off as he made the move from San Francisco to Los Angeles. She added, “They need a break after 5 years straight, so yes … hiatus time. Will be a little hard to continue with all the different locales so who know what is going to happen… Cross fingers, we all are (sure) that it’s not completely over.”

Full Story: http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/12/thee-oh-sees-announce-indefinite-hiatus/

• December 20, 2013 1:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

14 years? I had no idea they'd been playing that long...

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 20, 2013 5:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whoa! 14 years! That's a good innings! They are/were a great band - my wife & I saw them about 3 or 4 years ago on their first visit here to Adelaide - small, tightly-packed soldout gig - they were just AWESOME!!! - That show ranks as one of my all-time favourite gigs, and I've seen plenty over the years, all around the world! [and I'm guessing that due to that initial response, that's why they've happily been back here several times since! Lots of overseas bands don't get to come here coz all the promotors are East-Coast-centric!... but when they do, as with Thee Oh Sees, the response is usually great!]

Still... we have fond memories of live shows and a large stack of brilliant recordings to remember them by, cos they were nothing if not prolific! They were always friendly to people after their shows and 3D Radio broadcast some very cool iinterviews each time they visited.

It will be interesting to see where the various members go on from here and what new sounds we get to hear!

• December 20, 2013 8:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was a little surprised by the 14 year figure too, I was thinking more around 8 or 9. That article makes it sound like the break could be long, but then this showed up on their website:

Seems odd they would even bother to make an announcement for just a few months break.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel