Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Gibson sg bass anyone?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 13, 2012 2:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In a near future I will maybe buy this nice Gibson sg faded bass and I would like to know if some bass players around here use it for garage rock and how they like it.
      He's the sound great for our kind of music?
    • January 9, 2013 2:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

At least I purchased this piece of hell yesterday ! Seriously that's a monster with punch and power ! A real beast easy to play and for me very good looking.

• November 30, 2012 10:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for your answer. I own 2 Squier jaguar vintage modified short scale (I defretted one) and now I cant play with anything else than a short scale, it's a real pleasure to play on a easy bass like that. And seriously, this Squier rocks ! Very cheap price but good quality and good 60's sound !

John Carlucci said:

I own a 67 EB2, and while I love it for some things, it is a very limited instrument. It can be very muddy at times. Hollow Body basses played at loud volumes can feed back. So if you are playing in a loud band with a hard hitting drummer, that can be a problem. Especially with a 1 pick up EB 2 like mine.

The EB3 or it's modern cousin the SG bass, being that it has the extra pick-up, has more tonal capabilities. The neck humbucker is a pretty powerful pickup, so just make sure you have a decent bass amp with good speakers.

I also sometimes prefer short scale basses. The MIJ RI Fender Mustang basses are fantastic instruments. They have specially designed Seymour Duncan pickups, which make them sound like a P Bass. Before buying, I'd recommend you try one of these. ( make sure it's an MIJ Fender Mustang not a Squier) Unfortunately they only import white ones to the US now (which is a nice choice) however in Japan, they sell a wide range of colors & even the RI Competition bass. I managed to score one of those & love it.

• November 24, 2012 12:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I own a 67 EB2, and while I love it for some things, it is a very limited instrument. It can be very muddy at times. Hollow Body basses played at loud volumes can feed back. So if you are playing in a loud band with a hard hitting drummer, that can be a problem. Especially with a 1 pick up EB 2 like mine.

The EB3 or it's modern cousin the SG bass, being that it has the extra pick-up, has more tonal capabilities. The neck humbucker is a pretty powerful pickup, so just make sure you have a decent bass amp with good speakers.

I also sometimes prefer short scale basses. The MIJ RI Fender Mustang basses are fantastic instruments. They have specially designed Seymour Duncan pickups, which make them sound like a P Bass. Before buying, I'd recommend you try one of these. ( make sure it's an MIJ Fender Mustang not a Squier) Unfortunately they only import white ones to the US now (which is a nice choice) however in Japan, they sell a wide range of colors & even the RI Competition bass. I managed to score one of those & love it.

• October 22, 2012 12:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

:) I just know enough to know that I don't know it all… if you know what I mean.

(e)

The Revox said:

dublE seems to be a wise man ;-)

• October 18, 2012 4:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dublE seems to be a wise man ;-)

And yes for me it's look cool too... M. Watt or M. Bruce look great with that in their hands.

Will make a little review here if I purchase it.

• October 15, 2012 7:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Although I'm no bassplayer, I've borrowed my brother's – more upscale model – SG a couple times for studio work, and have no complaints.  In my experience, it is an "easy" bass to play, and personally I think four-stringed SG's look cool too. My bro. has several other basses, but the SG is usually his first choice.

Be aware though, that a properly set up guitar is – at least part of – the key to great guitar (or any instrument for that matter) sound and feel… 

Generally branding certain gear as "crap" based on a single experience (I'm sure there are a few shitty Casady's lying around too), hearsay, or even looks (and in my book the EB2 is a real non-looker – but each to his own) regrettably seems to be a quite popular "modus operandi" on the www.  Sadly, the quality of such opinions is… well, crap.  Hope you have the integrity to realize their limited value.

Now, I won't tell you that the budget-priced "faded" model SG is the only/best alternative for you, but if you want shortscale, and you dig the design, then it just might be… But, in any case; "try before you buy" is my best advice, and if possible; have a good guitar tech look it over before the "trying" part. 

Best of luck.

(e)

The Revox said:

Thanks guys for your answers. I heard it s a easy bass to play (it's shortscale) and it s one of the reasons of my interest. The Casady looks great but I'm really a shortscale guy (when speaking about bass :-) )...
    • October 14, 2012 5:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend of ours has one, but she never really got on with it (Epiphone version); she's replaced it with a Fender Mustang bass.

D.

The Revox said:

Thanks guys for your answers. I heard it s a easy bass to play (it's shortscale) and it s one of the reasons of my interest. The Casady looks great but I'm really a shortscale guy (when speaking about bass :-) )...
    • October 14, 2012 3:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 14, 2012 3:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In the end I grabbed a hollow epiphone jack Cassidy - now that's a bass
    • October 14, 2012 3:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Forget it they're a real pile of crap. There was one kicking around in our practice studio - supposedly really nice as it was from the seventies. Pile of shit. Can't hear it- it's got no balls. Waste of time and money. Great guitars I agree but forget the bass.
    • October 13, 2012 11:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

get a real bass and don't buy a guitar that has burst 2 strings... SG's are classic but they look and play durt as a bass. likewise don't buy a flying V bass. they looked cooler with 6 strings. what you want is a Gibson EB2 bass.

EDIT: or a rickenbacker...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel