Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Two Voices, One Song

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 15, 2012 5:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:
      (BTW:sorry for raping your language!)

DAMN! I wish so bad, i had been present, among the audience!!
      but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 14, 2012 8:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Like cool duets? Check out the Rockwiz duets on YouTube -- some really cool ones featured on that show (shot at The Espy, in Melbourne). I've posted some of my faves elsewhere on the Hideout, including some killers with Chrissy Amphlett :D.

I can't go past the vocal pairings in X as faves (already mentioned above) still the best in my book. 

Best duets are the impromptu ones that occur at live shows when different bands get together on a crazy night. Most of the time, they're left unrecorded, etched in the audience's memory.

• November 14, 2012 6:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy ,

No....  I have no pull in that department. I did open for The Legendary Stardust Cowboy , on a two - night stand , when Klaus Flouride was playing Bass in his band (As far as I know , he still is.) . I saw him a few years later , he did'nt remember having done that show with me , though the other guys in the band did. You probably know the story about what happened between Jello and the rest of the band. Jello , Mr. "Down with Businessmen !" had been pocketing all or most of the profits from the band's back catalogue and Alternative Tentacles Records in general.....OR , the band might have still been getting paid, but , not what they felt they should have (The first version is the official complaint.), so they took him to court , and , in the end , the band was awarded the right to play out as The Dead Kennedys , with or without Jello. Former childstar and Dr. Know frontman , Brandon Cruz , took the gig , singing , after one or two others did'nt pan out. I think the court awarded them back - royalties , too. Needless to say , Biafra is furious . They even asked him to rejoin at one point , and , he said "HELL , NO". This story is remarkably similar , and almost concurrent , to The Misfits'  property/ loyalty battle.  Could'nt tell ya. I met The DKs in 1982 , when I was a huge fan. No offense intended , but , I'M YEARS PAST CARING. No doubt , they're very good musicians , but , Jello's voice drives me up the wall , now. He was nice enough when I met him , but , others have said he was a real asshole to them. I saw Jello at The Purple Onion in San Francisco in '99 at a Loons/Dukes of Hamburg/Tee and The Crumpets show. He was standing right behind me. I could'nt figure why he looked so familiar at first . He was brooding and looking unapproachable , or , I would have at least said "Hey , Jello".

What's funny is that you asked  "JOHN" about reforming "THE DEAD KENNEDYS".

It'd be in very bad taste to say so , but.......They ARE reformed , now. (I could'nt resist , sorry.).

• November 14, 2012 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If ye've got any push across there John. Could you get the Kennedys back together and in the spirit of bands touring albums from long ago which seems to be the 'thing' just now. Get them to tour Plastic Surgery Disaster. Me an Jello need to sit down and have a long chat about this, that, and the other. On the subject of bands touring. I'm off to Glasgow on Friday to see 'The Swans'. One of my alltime bands. Original lineup as well. Cannae wait. Saw them the 1st time in 89 and have seen them a few times since. I think the wife is doing her hair that night haha (she hates the Swans) Would love them to tour the Cop or Greed albums.... Preferably both. Enjoy the Rezillos. Hell! theres nodoubtin' you will.

• November 14, 2012 2:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good to know , but hardly surprising. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about The Rezillos , since they started touring the states VERY sporadically in  , or around , 2004 , which was when they were tentatively set to play Chicago. But , now
       , they're going to be here in exactly one week , at a venue three blocks from my place ! I would be on the guest list , but , I have'nt met my "Connection" , SO I WAS PLANNING TO GO BUY A TICKET , IN PERSON , TONIGHT , AND SAVE THE IDIOT SERVICE FEE.

Yeah  , F.F. IS ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CRISPS. Dundee should be proud to claim here , and , OH ! , for the Pirate , Don Dirk of Dundee , he was as wicked as wicked could be....Oh , sorry.....
      Andy Climax said:

Hows' bout this. One of few tracks i would play in my set, over the original. Fay Fife, who was born not far from my home town Dundee, is an absolute goddess. Saw them in Aberdeen about 6 months ago and they still RAWK! Even the new stuff had balls the size of King Kong's!!!

http://youtu.be/kPP6WZgH9rI

• November 14, 2012 12:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hows' bout this. One of few tracks i would play in my set, over the original. Fay Fife, who was born not far from my home town Dundee, is an absolute goddess. Saw them in Aberdeen about 6 months ago and they still RAWK! Even the new stuff had balls the size of King Kong's!!!

http://youtu.be/kPP6WZgH9rI

• November 14, 2012 10:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Rezillos - Destination Venus

• November 14, 2012 6:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Goosebumps

• November 14, 2012 5:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

not a good example for a duet-song but so amusing!

• November 14, 2012 5:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike, lots of great stuff! Fantastic!

Mike said:

Holly Golightly & Micky (Milkshake) Hampshire aka Hipbone Slim.

But there are a ton of great 'duets' and probably some better examples of her style out there that Holly has done with of course Billy Childish, Dan Melchoir, in the Brokeoffs, etc etc etc etc etc....

Now for the 70's/80's.....

There is Lemmy & Kelly Johnson singing Johnny Kid's song as Motorheadschool or Headgirl (I think it )

The Rezillos - 

Debbie Harry doing backing vocals for the Ramones

• November 14, 2012 5:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I´m agree with you!
      (Although, i don´t like Alexander Hacke´s voice that much)

Andy Climax said:

Nancy and Lee's version is the ultimate, but this is an amazing version of Summer Wine. 

• November 13, 2012 11:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, and forgot to add these two legends

• November 13, 2012 11:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Holly Golightly & Micky (Milkshake) Hampshire aka Hipbone Slim.

But there are a ton of great 'duets' and probably some better examples of her style out there that Holly has done with of course Billy Childish, Dan Melchoir, in the Brokeoffs, etc etc etc etc etc....

Now for the 70's/80's.....

There is Lemmy & Kelly Johnson singing Johnny Kid's song as Motorheadschool or Headgirl (I think it )

The Rezillos - 

Debbie Harry doing backing vocals for the Ramones

• November 13, 2012 4:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mark lanegan and isobel Campbell. Two voices that were made for each other. Saw him in Aberdeen last month and he was just awesome. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/FsaD8mTUXW4

• November 13, 2012 4:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beautiful. I have two albums by Gry. Not sure if she's released more. Nancy and Lee's version is the ultimate, but this is an amazing version of Summer Wine. I wish some of my friends were as understanding. They just think ahm weird for liking this kinda stuff, haha

• November 13, 2012 3:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy, fantastic! We got the LINKAGE at the end!!
      Hear to this version of Summer Wine sung by Gray, FM and Alexander Hacke:

Andy Climax said:

Its getting late meine fraeulein. gotta sleep, so i will leave you with this chunk of madness. Gry with FM Einheit of Einsturzende Neubauten. Gry isn't well known over here, but I love her voice and they compliment each other beautifully. If you haven't heard Gry before? Enjoy an buy some of her stuff. Sorry about goin' off subject again. Night Y'all!

http://youtu.be/bExLiM2sSG8

Tersicore said:

Haha, fräulein is right! can be also written fraeulein without the german keypad.
      i make lot of mistakes in your language, so don´t worry!

Yep, i guess we do got same taste in music (and I love Clint Ruin as well!) 
      Nice!

• November 12, 2012 6:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its getting late meine fraeulein. gotta sleep, so i will leave you with this chunk of madness. Gry with FM Einheit of Einsturzende Neubauten. Gry isn't well known over here, but I love her voice and they compliment each other beautifully. If you haven't heard Gry before? Enjoy an buy some of her stuff. Sorry about goin' off subject again. Night Y'all!

http://youtu.be/bExLiM2sSG8

Tersicore said:

Haha, fräulein is right! can be also written fraeulein without the german keypad.

Nice!

• November 12, 2012 5:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice!

• November 12, 2012 5:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're more than welcome meine frauline (hope this is the right context, and i haven't just insulted you) I love the stuff Lydia did with Foetus, but then i just love Foetus anyway. Diamanda Galas is just sublime. Two of a number of singer / performers that you just can't pin a label on. They keep it dark and they keep it strange. Just how we like and love it. Sounds like we got the same tastes in music. Fabulous

Tersicore said:

Oh! I DO love both since about 30 years!!
      I´ve seen Lydia Lunch a couple of times in Berlin (80s-90s - Horny!;) 
      and last winter She played with Gallon Drunk (in a place i´m working so i also got to know and talk to them). She didn´t change much! Still the same beautiful slut! She´s splendid!
      I wanna thank you for the Diamanda Galas video, long time i haven´t hear from her
      (same story: seen in berlin back then) but now i recall why i loved her so much. What a voice!! What a presence!!

Andy Climax said:

Yep. Their music that should be shared with the world. I know i went a bt off subject but.... Y'gotta love'em

• November 12, 2012 2:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh! I DO love both since about 30 years!!
      I´ve seen Lydia Lunch a couple of times in Berlin (80s-90s - Horny!;) 
      and last winter She played with Gallon Drunk (in a place i´m working so i also got to know and talk to them). She didn´t change much! Still the same beautiful slut! She´s splendid!
      I wanna thank you for the Diamanda Galas video, long time i haven´t hear from her
      (same story: seen in berlin back then) but now i recall why i loved her so much. What a voice!! What a presence!!

Andy Climax said:

Yep. Their music that should be shared with the world. I know i went a bt off subject but.... Y'gotta love'em

• November 12, 2012 2:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 12, 2012 1:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 12, 2012 1:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 12, 2012 9:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax, Great! love both! Fantastic video choice!
      I´ll post them on the "Favorite female artists"-thread, that´s ok with you? :)

Andy Climax said:

Gallon Drunk and Lydia Lunch. Wots not to like??? Astounding!

http://youtu.be/_zIbLs9OM9Q

• November 12, 2012 9:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Soooo cute! 

Slighted Knight said:

I was gonna say Under Pressure, then I was gonna say the final song from Rock and Rule, but I think Deep Purple has a slight edge on both of them.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel