Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Thee 'Orrible 'OO, The World's Worst Rock'n'Roll Band. Rogered A

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 9, 2012 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Has anyone read Townshend's autobiography Who I Am

• December 4, 2012 1:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yay! Another 'OO 'EAD! Ok, so, anything in particular that influenced you -- I love hearing this stuff, esp. if it involves the 'OO.

I'm curious too why some people who like garagepunk aren't particularly fond of the Who...

Gets me to thinking... and listening. Nice one re the vid link choice. :D

BLACKCAT69 said:

Finding about The Who at an early age created an indelible impression on me that has influenced all my musical taste to present day.  My avatar says it all.  It's all in good fun too. I'm a Who-Head too!  Like Senor Starr said....there's too much good to say! 
      Hell....dig this one: 

• December 3, 2012 11:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Finding about The Who at an early age created an indelible impression on me that has influenced all my musical taste to present day.  My avatar says it all.  It's all in good fun too. I'm a Who-Head too!  Like Senor Starr said....there's too much good to say! 
      Hell....dig this one: 

• November 22, 2012 2:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , Zak Starkey , that's his real name , is Ringo's Son ,and he's been playing Drums with The Who for years. He's so close to Moon's style , it IS pretty scary. Of course , Moon and Starr were close friends ( THE MOON AND THE STARRS, LA LA)....YEAH , "El Ultimo Beso" ("Last Kiss") was a hit , I think , in Mexico , for Los Johnny Jets. I met their Drummer's Son ,last year. His name is'nt Zak.

• November 21, 2012 4:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tip o' the hat to ya for Los Johnny Jets, couldn't find that song, but this

Los Johnny Jets El ultimo beso could almost be in a Scorcese soundtrack. (off-topic, I know)

I didn't know that Ringo's kid was playing drums, good goin' Ringo!

Yeah, both the Kinks and The Who missed out on the opening B.I salvo, the Kinks by Dave Davies bashing a shutter-bug *at the AIRPORT*, Oy! Back to ol' Blighty for you boys... With The Who, maybe it was simply pesky bad luck, 'cause they sure had everything else going for 'em! (Although 1 of those creepy British tabloids had the nerve to dismiss them as 'nippers with big noses and small genitals' [!!!])

• November 21, 2012 3:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S PROBABLY ALSO TRUE.... If they got away from each other long enough , I'm sure they  could all be pleasant. I don't know anybody that ever knew them , tho'. A friend of mine literally ran into Pete in Richmond , UK. HE SAID HE WAS IN A BIG HURRY AND DID'NT STOP TO BICKER , Just as my friend did'nt block his way , to talk about Guitars.

dave said:

Hi John,

Thanks for hipping me to 'Call Me Lightning' I'd never heard it. Liked it so much I put it in a mixtape ...

Yeah, over in the States The Who seem to be criminally overlooked. As far as British Invasion stuff goes, for me they are part of the Holy Trinity: Stones/Who/Kinks (Beatles were the tip of the wedge, opening the way for others [betters?]...)

I love loud crunchy chords with lyrics, harmonies, as well as a bit of Baroque Pop, so only the Kinks come close (but they have that feyness that makes 'em the Kinks, The Who always seemed tough to me. Daltrey wasn't merely a tough guy, he had that great raspy vocal delivery).

I didn't find out about 'em 'til I was a Jam fan (barely play them anymore. The Who, always).

Incidentally, have y'all seen this, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who (2007) part 1

Fucking amazing white-boy R&B, smokin' stuff!

(Part of me still wishes they had kept with the R&B, wow...)

Still a Moon fan, tho' Kenny was great in the Small Faces (another overlooked band in America, dimmit!)

• November 21, 2012 2:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dave , Yeh, I recently found that "Amazing Journey" set, great stuff , especially the rare as fuck High Numbers performance of "OO Poo Pah Doo" and another R'n'B song I forget.

Daltrey looks badass , utterly full of himself with those big bug wraparound shades , but , that's what that band needed. But , I don't , personally , consider The Who to be part of The  British Invasion , if only because , by the time they conquered America in earnest , the Invasion was over. They were TRYING during the Stones/Who /Beatles /Animals /DC5 onslaught , to be sure. "Call Me Lightning" was a minor U.S. hit , so , the 45 , backed with Entwistle's  Horror classic , "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", is still pretty easy to find.

Los Johnny Jets , from Mexico , their version , as "Dam Dam" is killer , even replicating Entwistle's second greatest solo/bridge to a tee. I even found a budget CD in Mexico with a remake of "Dam Dam", probably from the 90's , that's even better than their original recording !

I'm not saying Moon can be touched (Tho' Ringo's kid is doing an awfully credible job.),

but , I saw The Who in 1980 , with Kenny Jones , of course , and damned if he did'nt hold down the fort. The Small Faces still don't get their due in America , but people who SHOULD be fans would rather listen to Northern Snore. Not that you can't like both.

• November 21, 2012 2:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

P.S What you said about Moonie having prollems, hmmm, I have to agree, But, it's interesting to note that in an interview (name escapes me, sry) he said that, while he and Roger may come off as people who may have an ax to grind, they were not.

Pete, however, WAS.

• November 21, 2012 2:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi John,

Thanks for hipping me to 'Call Me Lightning' I'd never heard it. Liked it so much I put it in a mixtape ...

Yeah, over in the States The Who seem to be criminally overlooked. As far as British Invasion stuff goes, for me they are part of the Holy Trinity: Stones/Who/Kinks (Beatles were the tip of the wedge, opening the way for others [betters?]...)

I love loud crunchy chords with lyrics, harmonies, as well as a bit of Baroque Pop, so only the Kinks come close (but they have that feyness that makes 'em the Kinks, The Who always seemed tough to me. Daltrey wasn't merely a tough guy, he had that great raspy vocal delivery).

I didn't find out about 'em 'til I was a Jam fan (barely play them anymore. The Who, always).

Incidentally, have y'all seen this, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who (2007) part 1

Fucking amazing white-boy R&B, smokin' stuff!

(Part of me still wishes they had kept with the R&B, wow...)

Still a Moon fan, tho' Kenny was great in the Small Faces (another overlooked band in America, dimmit!)

• November 21, 2012 2:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That would'nt surprise me in the the least , but ,, The Who  AND The Troggs had everything to do with the development of The MC5  sound. Sometimes , quite literally. Everyone knows "I Want You Right Now" is an uncredited rewrite of "I WantYou" by The Troggs , but , "Black To Comm" also has bits and pieces of "Out in The Street" by The Who
       thrown in , too. As I'm sure you know , you could count all the public screenings of "A True Testimonial" on your thumbs. It showed once in Chicago with Wayne , Michael and Dennis present . Naturally , their names were'nt mentioned beforehand , and , naturally , I was told the movie sold out , when , of course , it did'nt. Later , there was going to be a five day run , but , that was when Kramer and Filmmaker , David Thomas , had their falling out. Short story long ,I've seenthe film ,but, it's been years.....
      Gringo Starr said:

It's well known that the MC5 blew thee 'OO away at the Grande Ballroom. I can't think of another band that could possibly do that at that time (besides the five). The story is that the Five had the Who shaking in their boots backstage. Working class Detroit boys trump working class London boys any day. See "MC5: A True Testimonial" documentary for all the details.

• November 21, 2012 8:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's well known that the MC5 blew thee 'OO away at the Grande Ballroom. I can't think of another band that could possibly do that at that time (besides the five). The story is that the Five had the Who shaking in their boots backstage. Working class Detroit boys trump working class London boys any day. See "MC5: A True Testimonial" documentary for all the details.

• November 19, 2012 12:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Holy Crap -- I'm trying to imagine a night like that -- Why was I born too late? WHY WHY WHY?

Ok, here's a challenge for people who just might be reading this on the Hideout. Can anyone tell me if there is a night scheduled like this 1967 gig, in the near future, that comes as close to coolness as The Who, The Troggs, and MC5 playing on the same bill?

My luck it would be a date in Europe somewhere fabulous and incredibly expensive. But hey!  I'm waiting to have my mind blown. May the Spirit of Moon live!

Mel
      John Battles said:

.... I , myself , saw an original poster from The Grande Ballroom in Detroit , the bill was The Who , The Troggs and The MC5 in 1967. Could you imagine ?...
    • November 19, 2012 12:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think that Moon was a troubled soul , but , he knew how to have a REALLY good time , and he had a drumming style NO ONE could touch. The influence of Viv Stanshall , Lord Sutch , Oliver Reed and other FUCKNG LOONIES did'nt help.  As far as Jazz was concerned , I still think he was the Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa of his realm , but , of course, he played a LOT crazier , and made it musically make sense. Somewhere , I believe Jazz had a factor in the development of The mOONIE STYLE.....And , that's OK.

MY FAVORITE QUOTE GOES THUSLY -

The Mighty , mighty BadassMotherfucker (and sweetheart of a guy , besides.)

REG PRESLEY !!!!!!!!!!"Well , Moonie , and Ronnie , our drummer , got on like

a house on fire. Ronnie put gapper tape on his sticks , so they would'nt slip off....Moonie showed up an hour early , sawed all of his drumsticks in half , then wrapped the tape back around his sticks , so , when he tried to play , his sticks kept splitting in two ! "

I , myself , saw an original poster from The Grande Ballroom in Detroit , the bill was The Who , The Troggs and The MC5 in 1967. Could you imagine ?

You're welcome , Melissa , though I can't remember what I did......

Thanks John and Gringo: YEAH! Isn't that the truth. And he always looked like he was enjoying the whole experience of playing, having fun, makin' seriously good noise.

And he was nice and LOUD! :D

John Battles said:

I agree about Moon having that rare , organic approach. HOW OFTEN DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Gringo Starr said:

Mooney had a huge influence on me. His playing was so organic and from the heart. No jazz school bullshit just hit those things! He changed the way drummers would approach the instrument.

melissa scott said:

Since I'm talking from one 'OO 'ead to another, Mr. G. Starr, would you say Moon had an influence on you as a drummer? The more I read about him, the more I'm intrigued by what he did.

Would love to hear a drummer's perspective.

Ditto for the guitarists on the Hideout re Mr. Townsend's influence, if any...

Mel, who is still grateful to the babysitter who let her stay up late to watch The Who on the Tom Jones Show :D

Gringo Starr said:

Thee 'OO!! Probably third place in the 'Holy Trinity' of the British Invasion by most enthusiasts but they are my favorite! Yes, I am an American, a total U.S. 'Garage-in-the-mid-sixties' freak and a die-hard Who fan!! Arguably the first Punk band in Rock and Roll history as well as having one member blow away the song writing skills of Lennon/Macartney (spelling?) and Jagger/Richards in a single bound (starting with The Who Sells Out). I love the whole sordid story of these boys, the four opposite personalities, the fights onstage and the love that would come later. The music of the Who is by far the most timeless out of the other two bands mentioned above and I expect time will prove that out (in time). Way too much for me to say about these lads so just let me get on the board here; I am one of the Who-Heads!

• November 18, 2012 7:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks John and Gringo: YEAH! Isn't that the truth. And he always looked like he was enjoying the whole experience of playing, having fun, makin' seriously good noise.

And he was nice and LOUD! :D

John Battles said:

I agree about Moon having that rare , organic approach. HOW OFTEN DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Gringo Starr said:

Mooney had a huge influence on me. His playing was so organic and from the heart. No jazz school bullshit just hit those things! He changed the way drummers would approach the instrument.

melissa scott said:

Since I'm talking from one 'OO 'ead to another, Mr. G. Starr, would you say Moon had an influence on you as a drummer? The more I read about him, the more I'm intrigued by what he did.

Mel, who is still grateful to the babysitter who let her stay up late to watch The Who on the Tom Jones Show :D

Gringo Starr said:

Thee 'OO!! Probably third place in the 'Holy Trinity' of the British Invasion by most enthusiasts but they are my favorite! Yes, I am an American, a total U.S. 'Garage-in-the-mid-sixties' freak and a die-hard Who fan!! Arguably the first Punk band in Rock and Roll history as well as having one member blow away the song writing skills of Lennon/Macartney (spelling?) and Jagger/Richards in a single bound (starting with The Who Sells Out). I love the whole sordid story of these boys, the four opposite personalities, the fights onstage and the love that would come later. The music of the Who is by far the most timeless out of the other two bands mentioned above and I expect time will prove that out (in time). Way too much for me to say about these lads so just let me get on the board here; I am one of the Who-Heads!

• November 18, 2012 5:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gringo Starr said:

melissa scott said:

Gringo Starr said:

• November 18, 2012 8:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

melissa scott said:

Gringo Starr said:

• November 16, 2012 3:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I meant "Numbers". As a follow up to the Rolling Stones/James Brown debacle , it's widely believed The Stones never released "The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus" (Until ,of course , it turned up , finally , on VHS and CD , then DVD , because they felt their performance was subpar , and was overshadowed by The Who. I dunno. It was the end of the road for The Jones - era Stones , but I'd say it was hardly subpar. Of course The Who was great , but The R'n'R Circus was one performance by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac short of genius.

John Battles said:

It would have been nice if The Who had done a few more stripped - down affairs to leave with an understanding....And , Quadrophenia could have benefitted from SOME MORE FUCKING GUITARS , PETE , but , sure , I have a copy. I even have a copy of "Tommy" , mainly because I found an original on Decca , stone mint for $2. I figured I'd want to play it again , someday (My 1st copy was stolen in 1980.), that was about 10 years ago. I do like the movie , though Arthur Brown should have sung the whole of "Eyesight To The Blind", and Alice Cooper should have played Cousin Kevin. Think about it. But , there were later tracks I still like too , like "I Don't Even Know Myself" , "Relay" , "Water" , even "The Who By Mumbers" has some good rockers on it.   As for The Jam , you'd think girls would've liked them in their spiffy haircuts and suits. But , maybe they were too aggro for many young women of the day ? At least , in the states . Or , possibly , just too loud. One of my friends saw them at The Riviera in Chicago (He may have meantThe Park West.)  , and said he had to adjourn to the men's bog , and listen from there , because they were SO FUCKING LOUD.

melissa scott said:

Well, the Who were my first Big Band, ya neh? Me and Trixie, 12-year-old DJ wannabees, would record our own radio shows full of Who tracks. I'm with trashman -- if only they had done a few more low-fi, raw albums before traveling at lightspeed to Rock Opera! One can only imagine... Still, Quadraphenia comes miles before Tommy on my stereo and for all their worldwide fame and notoriety, they still don't get the airplay of the Stones or Beatles, which probably suits me anyhow.

Hey Gringo -- I reckon you are onto something tho' -- the whole larikin/lad aspect of the Who make them a decidedly blokey band. Ditto when the Jam first toured the US. I remember being one of the few females to venture out in front of the stage (well, there were a lot of jumping boys going nuts) and no screaming girls. Hmmmm. Less girlie appeal means fewer top 40 hits? Anyway, you can't sell teen mags that way, a contributor to the different fortunes, not that the Who didn't sell records, but... they always seemed to have one foot in the alleyway.

Must now go and play some early 'OO clips to work by.

• November 16, 2012 6:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gringo Starr said:

• November 13, 2012 8:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It would have been nice if The Who had done a few more stripped - down affairs to leave with an understanding....And , Quadrophenia could have benefitted from SOME MORE FUCKING GUITARS , PETE , but , sure , I have a copy. I even have a copy of "Tommy" , mainly because I found an original on Decca , stone mint for $2. I figured I'd want to play it again , someday (My 1st copy was stolen in 1980.), that was about 10 years ago. I do like the movie , though Arthur Brown should have sung the whole of "Eyesight To The Blind", and Alice Cooper should have played Cousin Kevin. Think about it. But , there were later tracks I still like too , like "I Don't Even Know Myself" , "Relay" , "Water" , even "The Who By Mumbers" has some good rockers on it.   As for The Jam , you'd think girls would've liked them in their spiffy haircuts and suits. But , maybe they were too aggro for many young women of the day ? At least , in the states . Or , possibly , just too loud. One of my friends saw them at The Riviera in Chicago (He may have meantThe Park West.)  , and said he had to adjourn to the men's bog , and listen from there , because they were SO FUCKING LOUD.

melissa scott said:

Well, the Who were my first Big Band, ya neh? Me and Trixie, 12-year-old DJ wannabees, would record our own radio shows full of Who tracks. I'm with trashman -- if only they had done a few more low-fi, raw albums before traveling at lightspeed to Rock Opera! One can only imagine... Still, Quadraphenia comes miles before Tommy on my stereo and for all their worldwide fame and notoriety, they still don't get the airplay of the Stones or Beatles, which probably suits me anyhow.

Hey Gringo -- I reckon you are onto something tho' -- the whole larikin/lad aspect of the Who make them a decidedly blokey band. Ditto when the Jam first toured the US. I remember being one of the few females to venture out in front of the stage (well, there were a lot of jumping boys going nuts) and no screaming girls. Hmmmm. Less girlie appeal means fewer top 40 hits? Anyway, you can't sell teen mags that way, a contributor to the different fortunes, not that the Who didn't sell records, but... they always seemed to have one foot in the alleyway.

Must now go and play some early 'OO clips to work by.

• November 13, 2012 8:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You have to see "The Kids are All Right" or various other documentaries to get a feel for how truly anti - social these boys could be , EVEN AFTER they were rolling in the dough.....

We did'nt really know how badly The Ramones actually got along , until Dee Dee left , and after the band broke up. With the Who , their business was in the street.

Gringo Starr said:

• November 13, 2012 8:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree....I   CAN'T LEAVE THE ROOM WHEN "MY GENERATION" OR "ANYWAY , ANYHOW , ANYWHERE" , AND , OF COURSE , "CAN'T EXPLAIN" COME ON ,
       Regardless of how many times I've heard them....All those songs , and most of their early repertoirre , had that Punk swagger. "Anyway , Anyhow , Anywhere" sounds like a John Cage /Stockhausen Rock'n'Roll nightmare ,  before The Red Krayola arrived. The idea of using feedback as an instrument was quickly picked up by Hendrix , The MC5 , Blue Cheer , and a Godzillion others , upon being exposed to Townsend's angry attack , which was his way of preceding Punk as we now know it......

Besides , not did only "Summertime Blues" have it , but , especially the opener, "My Generation" on "Live at Leeds" sounds as hard and fast as anything The Sex Pistols did. One of the guys in Def Leppard said "I DEFY ANY METAL BAND TO SOUND AS HEAVY AS THE WHO DID ON THAT LIVE VERSION OF "MY GENERATION" , AND THOSE VOCALS , TOTAL JAMES BROWN ! ". So true. Regardless of the source.
      trashman said:

Despite hearing the song a hundred thousand times, I still max the volume for My Generation every time I catch it on the radio.  I also need a regular dose of Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (including the Live Five version which I just clicked on to complete this post).  

The early stuff is just downright incredible (all their stuff is but in regards to punk).  But obviously their talent was too big to just stay in the lo-fi garage standard.  Amazing to think Tommy was their 4th studio album, they had evolved that much, that quickly.  By 1967 they had horns in their tracks (Pictures of Lily).  After all, Entwistle was a french horn player I have read.

Obviously, for the overall world of Rock-n-Roll we should be pleased they developed the way they did.  But I wish they had put out another album or two before they went so rock opera so I had a few more raw songs.  Probably timing, maybe if they came out just a year or two earlier things would have moved differently.  To me, their best return to the veracity of the early stuff was their cover of "Summertime Blues".  

• November 13, 2012 8:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , it's kind of pointless to used their later Stadium Rock status as some kind of buffer to undermine The Who's influence...... I mean , even Led Zeppelin have had Punk cred since the 80's ....Not by me , they have'nt , but , "Underground" bands like The Flaming Lips and The Cult wore their Zeppelin stripes proudly in The 80's . THAT AND "Tommy " era  Who , as opposed to DUM ! DUM ! DUM ! DURANG ! CALL ME LIGHTNING , MOTHER FUCKER  ! RUN , RUN , RUN ! OUT IN THE STREET ! THE GOOD'S GONE !  I HAVE'NT GOT 11 KIDS , I WERE'NT KILLED IN BAGHDAD , I AIN'T ARF MICRONESIAN , AND I DID'NT KILL YOUR DAD . IT'S NOT TRUE , IT'S NOT TRUE , I'M TELLING YOU , WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THE WHO , FRIENDS , IT'S NOT TRUE. 

melissa scott said:

Hmmmm, I seem to recall several conversations regarding The 'OO and garage... Are the Who so incredibly tied to STADIUM RAWK now that they're not worth discussing re garage? I just can't believe it's true! Did the '70's block our Who-dar in the Hideout?

Too commercial to discuss? I'm interested in hearing about who have been influenced by the Who musically, personally, whatever. Me? I can't think of garagepunk without thinking about a certain 'attitude' -- and a sound that ingested early R&B, blues, then spit it back out in a new form. The Who had that basement, raw, obnoxious sound.

Could there be any more opinionated, snot-nosed, punks than Townsend in his prime? Could anyone mess up their kit better than Moon? There'd be no '70's punk without 'em. And certainly no Jam (well, duh).

Who are the Who-Heads? :D

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel