Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Australia/New Zealand
  • Topic: Australian Band Recommendations

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 1, 2008 1:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently sent this list of band recommendations to a friend in the States so I thought I'd share it here just in case any one is interested. They're all bands who are currently playing at the moment and are all from Melbourne unless otherwise mentioned. It's by no means a complete list, so please feel free to add to it. Apologies if my descriptions don't do the bands justice. The Ooga Boogas: Garage/surf band who recently played at Goner and who feature Mikey from Eddy Current, Richard from the Onyas, Leon from the Sailors, and Per from (ahem) Cloudberry Jam. The Ooga Boogas Deaf Wish: Complete and utter garage mayhem Deaf Wish The Pink Fits: fast paced bluesy garage from Wollongong. The Pink Fits Beaches: 5 piece all-girl band who play noodly guitar music that reminds me of a cross between Television and a shoe-gaze band. Beaches Shutdown 66: Killer song and killer band. Shutdown 66 The Frowning Clouds: a bunch of 16-18 year olds who love the Pretty Things and the Back from the Grave comps. The Frowning Clouds The Breadmakers: Bluesy garage featuring members of Shutdown 66. The Breadmakers The Stabs: Ben Blackwell said “They sound like Thurston Moore reviewing The Birthday Party”. I agree. The Stabs Chinese Burns: Umm...dunno how to describe them but they're good. And the drummer is awesome in every band that he's in. He hits hard, fast and precisely. Their songs are also very catchy. Chinese Burns UV Race: Again I don't have a clue how to describe them. They're on Aarght, which is a label run by 3 of the Ooga Boogas. UV Race Superwild Horses: Someone I know thinks they're a little bit "cheer-leader-y". I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Superwild Horses The following are two bands who wear their Jesus Lizard influence in different ways. Of the two I love True Rad more. My Disco: My Disco True Radical Miracle True Radical Miracle Zond: are good. If I remember correctly, they're at the more experimental end of garage. Zond
    • October 30, 2012 9:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'when micheal jackson died'...frm FAT

• October 30, 2012 9:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FAT----from brisbane!

• July 19, 2012 5:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a really solid album recently released called New Centre of the Universe from Anti Fade records..features a bunch of Geelong/Melbourne based bands..such as The Bonniwells, Bad Aches, Living Eyes, Ausmuteants and so forth.

Loving Bad Aches atm, one of the better Melbourne bands..recently seen bits of shit for the 3rd time and as always...really great stuff.

Get on board.

• June 23, 2012 12:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Favourite oz band at the moment are The Gooch Palms from Sydney - they're like Lux n Ivy's awkward bastard children.

• June 22, 2012 1:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about Asteroid B-612 , The Beasts Of Bourbon,Bored! and The Stems all great powerful kick ass garage .

• August 14, 2011 4:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the list.. I move to Melbourne in about 6 weeks.. Can anyone recommend venues where I can catch garage / lo fi artists?

• November 6, 2020 1:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Ms Springolator said:
      I recently sent this list of band recommendations to a friend in the States so I thought I'd share it here just in case any one is interested. They're all bands who are currently playing at the moment and are all from Melbourne unless otherwise mentioned. It's by no means a complete list, so please feel free to add to it. Apologies if my descriptions don't do the bands justice. The Ooga Boogas: Garage/surf band who recently played at Goner and who feature Mikey from Eddy Current, Richard from the Onyas, Leon from the Sailors, and Per from (ahem) Cloudberry Jam. The Ooga Boogas Deaf Wish: Complete and utter garage mayhem Deaf Wish The Pink Fits: fast paced bluesy garage from Wollongong. The Pink Fits Beaches: 5 piece all-girl band who play noodly guitar music that reminds me of a cross between Television and a shoe-gaze band. Beaches Shutdown 66: Killer song and killer band. Shutdown 66 The Frowning Clouds: a bunch of 16-18 year olds who love the Pretty Things and the Back from the Grave comps. The Frowning Clouds The Breadmakers: Bluesy garage featuring members of Shutdown 66. The Breadmakers The Stabs: Ben Blackwell said “They sound like Thurston Moore reviewing The Birthday Party”. I agree. The Stabs Chinese Burns: Umm...dunno how to describe them but they're good. And the drummer is awesome in every band that he's in. He hits hard, fast and precisely. Their songs are also very catchy. Chinese Burns UV Race: Again I don't have a clue how to describe them. They're on Aarght, which is a label run by 3 of the Ooga Boogas. UV Race Superwild Horses: Someone I know thinks they're a little bit "cheer-leader-y". I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Superwild Horses The following are two bands who wear their Jesus Lizard influence in different ways. Of the two I love True Rad more. My Disco: My Disco True Radical Miracle True Radical Miracle Zond: are good. If I remember correctly, they're at the more experimental end of garage. Zond

OAK FLATS is near Wollongong but I've been missing from the Illawarra area for some time now. Thanks for the nifty heads up on the Wolly scene! Anyone heard of Tol-Puddle Martyrs ? They've got a great album out called Psych Out U.S.A.
    • November 6, 2020 1:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Here is the album ....
    • November 6, 2020 1:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Here Is the album....
    • November 6, 2020 1:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Tol-Puddle Martyrs

Right on...
    • November 6, 2020 1:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Tol-Puddle Martyrs

Right on...
    • March 17, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• March 17, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• August 1, 2022 3:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Robert Greene said:

How about Asteroid B-612 , The Beasts Of Bourbon,Bored! and The Stems all great powerful kick ass garage .

yeah, that's a good one 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel