Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is There Anything We HAVEN'T Heard?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 12, 2009 8:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

long shot bbut ?????????????? lords green sleeves
    • May 10, 2009 11:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hhahahaha! Hilarious, good stuff! Pacifiction Records said:
      How about TAIKE? It's a rustic heavily localized form of Taiwanese punk/rock. Here's a weird 'n' wild music vid by the classic taike band LTK COMMUNE:

For more on Taiwan indie music, visit Island of Sound (www.islandofsound.org)

Here for the stir

• May 10, 2009 11:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MB=! How about BORIS? Realreal good doomy kind of Metal, with psych sprinkles. ...Not the best explanation, though haha. Seen live and loved. Brother Panti-Christ said:
      Yeaaaya... the Boredoms played in Bern in the 90's, Zorn did a couple times too, both of them mindblowers. Japanese are leading the front for the weirdest and wildest music, damn sure. Melt Banana is my faves, they are just toooooo damn weird.

Here for the stir

• May 10, 2009 9:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Brother Panti-Christ said:
      Yeaaaya... the Boredoms played in Bern in the 90's, Zorn did a couple times too, both of them mindblowers. Japanese are leading the front for the weirdest and wildest music, damn sure. Melt Banana is my faves, they are just toooooo damn weird.
      Then you should check out Melt-banana covering classic Detroit rock band The Dogs. I just posted "GST 483" on my profile, actually sounds kinda normal; for them! For more info, take a look at The Dogs tribute here: http://www.pacifictionrecords.com/japan/CD/VA_doggystyle.shtml Sorry if it sounds like self-promotion, but yes, I am trying to sell records!
    • May 10, 2009 7:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• May 10, 2009 6:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about TAIKE? It's a rustic heavily localized form of Taiwanese punk/rock. Here's a weird 'n' wild music vid by the classic taike band LTK COMMUNE: For more on Taiwan indie music, visit Island of Sound (www.islandofsound.org)
    • May 10, 2009 2:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Take a look kids: MISSISSIPPI RECORDS (!)

Here for the stir

• May 9, 2009 10:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The old Calabash Music, before they merged with something called Mondomix, had a couple of cool blues bands that infuse good old American blues with musical elements from their native lands. The pages for these groups are still there, but each says "this artist is no available for your country." Maybe some of you guys from outside the USA will have better luck. The Nightlosers are from Romania http://mp3.mondomix.com/nightlosers Then there's Istanbul Blues Kumpanyasi, http://mp3.mondomix.com/istanbulblues, which like the name implies, is blues from Turkey. You can hear a song from each (and a lot more crazy shit from all over God's green Earth) on my World Music podcast. As for the Stooges on Tuba, theres some info about The Ridiculous Trio HERE: http://cakeandpolka.blogspot.com/2005/02/ridiculous-trio-plays-stoo..., but the MP3 links no longer seem to work.
    • May 9, 2009 7:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Swedish Danse bands Can't say I'd recommend this but just for the covers alone you gotta give em full marks for trying

• May 9, 2009 3:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Slovenly Recordings said:
      have you heard our 45 rpm releases by the ridiculous trio? it's instrumental tuba/ drums marching band sounding version of songs by the stooges. no lie. amazing!
      yep! amazing, I heard "No Fun", didn't know you put it out! I found it floating in the blogosphere, I played it at parties!
    • May 9, 2009 9:07 AM CDT
    • Untitled

You want new or interesting music, just line yor pointy head up with Japan.
      Start with the Boredoms and John Zorn's Tzadic record label and you are off on an all out aural assault.
      I don't claim to know much about Japanese music bit all the stuff I do listen too is just crazy.
    • May 7, 2009 11:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alex said:
      On a slightly unrelated note... if you want some cool 60's African garage rock, I'd recommend a compilation called Cazumbi, that just came out in the past year.
      There's an entire thread about that comp in this very forum...

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 7, 2009 10:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

have you heard our 45 rpm releases by the ridiculous trio? it's instrumental tuba/ drums marching band sounding version of songs by the stooges. no lie. amazing!
    • May 7, 2009 2:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alex said:
      If you're in or around NYC, I'd recommend a trip to Other Music, on E. 4th St. between Lafayette and Broadway. They have all sorts of weirdness there, and the employees do a fantastic job of writing their own reviews of their recent favorites. They have some fairly obvious garage/punk/rock stuff, but then there's a whole load of weird things from other countries, odd electronic... your imagination is the limit. They literally have everything from 70's Nigerian Funk to Khmer Pop. Also a sweet bargain bin, where I found a copy of Luis and the Wildfires "Brain Jail" on Norton.
      OH yeah, I got a chance to swing by there durin' my last trip to NYC (which was back in 2002) and I scored so many goodies at Other Music...If I lived in NYC that place would be a weekly stop if yer no other reason than to yap it up with the staff...
    • May 7, 2009 2:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha! Way cool shope, I enjoy that name... On my list now - big thanks. See that's cool, Cazumbi has a topic post somewhere here. That's what I would call likeminded forum thrashing! Alex said:
      If you're in or around NYC, I'd recommend a trip to Other Music, on E. 4th St. between Lafayette and Broadway. They have all sorts of weirdness there, and the employees do a fantastic job of writing their own reviews of their recent favorites. They have some fairly obvious garage/punk/rock stuff, but then there's a whole load of weird things from other countries, odd electronic... your imagination is the limit. They literally have everything from 70's Nigerian Funk to Khmer Pop. Also a sweet bargain bin, where I found a copy of Luis and the Wildfires "Brain Jail" on Norton.
      On a slightly unrelated note... if you want some cool 60's African garage rock, I'd recommend a compilation called Cazumbi, that just came out in the past year.

Here for the stir

• May 7, 2009 2:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• May 7, 2009 1:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:
      I never thought I'd hear the Oak Ridge Boys cover a White Stripes song, but now I have...

The worst part about this is ya can't un-hear shit like this...thanx alot Kopper ....fuuuccckkk! Get me some Sonics! STAT!
    • May 7, 2009 12:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Geez, what's next, The Sonics covering the Mummies?

Now I haven't been good with playing loads of weird stuff on Sonic Nightmares, I must admit it could be more twisted. But I think Gringo has a particular concept to our show that would shatter him if we broke out of the garage mode. Still I played some early Grand Funk that needed playing, hahaha!
    • May 7, 2009 9:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I never thought I'd hear the Oak Ridge Boys cover a White Stripes song, but now I have...

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 7, 2009 5:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SHIT SHIT!

Defeinatly bring this up more often please and also please make sure you are showing off new sounds! Please please! Play alla that stuff! Where are those record archives with alla those unheard cuts? bring yer stuff on!

I'm so siked, awesome topic!

Here for the stir

• December 11, 2008 9:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There was lotsa great garage/psychedelic soul rock in Cambodia in the late '60s and early '70s. Much of it was destroyed after the evil Khmer Rouge took over in 1975. The records were smashed and burned and many of the top artists were killed or died in the labor camps. The stuff that survives is real lo-fi -- probably from third or fourth generation cassettes or whatever. The singer in this video is Ros Sereysothea There's a series of albums called Cambodian Rocks that's great. Same type of thing thing happened in Ethiopia in the '70s when the commies took over there. The Ethiopiques series has some great stuff that lots of us here might like. My favorite of the ones I've heard (there's 20 some CDs in the series so far) is Volume 8, SWINGING ADDIS.
    • December 11, 2008 8:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

yeah, this is really getting good!!!
    • December 11, 2008 7:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't know who this is or what genre it is... But oichang0198 on youtube has a bunch of these weird Jap hippies hanging around wharehouses playing steel drums and jew harps...
    • December 9, 2008 10:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Enjoyed that.
      First heard about the Group Inerane revolution after perusing "101 Uses For Ice Scrapers."

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel