Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is There Anything We HAVEN'T Heard?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 28, 2011 1:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

You can never hear everything. Period. Even accounting for released material that's yet to be re-discovered, there are literally tons of unreleased reels, acetates etc., still out there. Hot gear turning up all the time! I can't imagine it ever drying up - least, I hope it never does!!!
    • September 28, 2011 3:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YAY, another fan of english early 80s Garage !!!!  My formative years , one of the best gigs ever for me was The Stingrays & Vibes at Retford Porterhouse ....great days !

Bloodshot Bill is great ....a worthy successor to Charlie Feathers !

SarahJayne said:

It's for this reason that I don't limit my tastes to just a few genres. I can find at least one song I'll dig from ANY genre - even mainstream pop music, lol.

As far as 60s style tunes, I'm big on the whole trash revival that evolved from the early psychobilly scene, and consider those bands underrated. THE VIBES (!!!!!), Russian Roulette (pick up the 'fuckin' car 7" if you're into the Cramps), Stingrays, etc. etc. Garage covers with an upright bass, fuck yeah!

I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for them : ).

PS, new G&R blows. Amen.
    • July 5, 2011 8:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ever heard  "Chrissy Zebby Tembo & Ngozi Family"  ?

Might be worth a shot if you have never had the pleasure.

• July 3, 2011 11:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

really digging this Massachusetts psycobilly lately. they've been playing for a long time.  worth a look and listen to those of you who like amazing sick art and songs about hell and beyond. mandolin etc...

http://www.getangry.com/

• May 13, 2011 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really cool image!

S.Law said:
      glad you dig it!

fly sister can't be wrong!

• April 1, 2011 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Yeah, someone posted Cazumbi earlier in the post, what a KILLER collection that is! I played some tracks on Sonic Nightmares soon after. In fact I played quite a few tips on the show since the posts!

@ Axel... Dátar and this song "Kling Klang" is very groovy!!

Happy to see this thread revived. I've been listening to Brian Jones - presents the pipes of pan at jajouka. It's a record he compiled hoping to inspire the Rolling Stones, but we all know how that story ended up.

Mandrax said:

I came across garage comp called Cazumbi - African 60's Garage. I was pleasantly surprised (and I'm from Africa!)
    • March 31, 2011 7:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No problem - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Rwanda-billy? Sounds great - I want to hear some - I'm a fan of a lot of ..billy.
    • March 31, 2011 7:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thank you so much mandrax, i'll check it out immediately. there's a precedent for everything, even rwanda-billy. i thought i'd invented it! ;-)
    • March 30, 2011 4:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I came across garage comp called Cazumbi - African 60's Garage. I was pleasantly surprised (and I'm from Africa!)
    • March 17, 2011 8:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'Bonsai Superstar' by Brainiac is about the weirdest thing I know that still sounds like a guitar band.  It's an ultra-dissonant sinister falsetto party record.  Definitely has some of my favorite guitar work ever.

Brainiac

Outside of guitar music, Scott Walker's The Drift is some of the wildest shit I've ever heard.  It's relentlessly punishing and bleak, but actually really fun if you can get into the melodrama.

Scott Walker

• March 16, 2011 7:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

please listen to my tracks. we're crap, but original. here are a couple of opinions, and i quote:

"Out-of-sight.  Did you ever see The Fall in their old 70's and 80's days??  There was such a raw realness to them before they morphed into being super melodic.  Your duo is so real, it sounds like you're in a full band -- and to me, that is a mark of brilliance for a duo, 3-piece or even a 1 person act. Love the raw, low-fi sound.  Reminds me so much about why I love listening to punk and other types of raw, old rock on vinyl instead of sanitized, clean cd's.  I hope you stick with it and keep exploring your sound and material.  Give me a shout if you guys get any releases we can scoop up -- I'd grab one even if it was on a cd :o)  Great work."

"On chemine entre The Fall/du punk/Sonic Youth dans votre musique...ouais il y a quelque de The Fall dans la voix, donc ça le fait,moi j'aime plutot bien."

"Your sound is unique to you.  I dig it."

i did not pay these people; but i will!

• July 14, 2010 9:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Great tips: Loneliness Is A Sometime Thing from Beauregard Ajax, totally cool spacey western psychedelia. I can't seem to track down and National Havester yet, though I have allergies to 'prog', so I will hunt with care! Wailing Walls is also a tricky title to find, but I won't give up. On the other hand, your tip about the Tago Mago LP by the German band CAN should be read and implemented by any reader here looking for something unique, rocking and compelling. Their first four LPs are excellent for those ears who don't mind a little mystery and psychedelia. Ross Jesus Navaro Richards said:
      some names come to mind, beauregard ajax with deaf prescilla, a very dark psyched up album preceeding sgtr peppers! they havea song about a kaleidosope, which is just fuckin lovely! the whole album is musically superb, and keeps u intersted, no stupid blues additions/fillers here!
      national harvester from sweden, glue psyche which is very similar to early floyd and hawkwind, but again preceeding the both! the sound is evident on both groups early lp´s,,, and isn´t lol... but its slow strange and dark, some say prog, but choose that word carefully as there is a lot of kak out there!
      wailing walls only lp,.. captain beefheart meets the country, its a nice crossover lp, has its faults, but 1st side is a killer, and really recommended! check country of the goose..
      can.. tago mago.. german polish korean backward masking drum and bass dance from 1973, some say prog but choose etc tc...... nice tunes and look out for oh yeah! a killer tune!
      cheapo crypt samplers 1 and 2.. has got everything. gories turks 9pound hammer, oblivians headcoates and more more more.. pick it up for 2bucks! great great piece plastic!
      david bowie ziggy stardust live on the airwaves vol one, huh? i hear u say.. guys this is the nutz, bowie is demi god! back then nuthin like it, and the live version of moonage hang onto and watch that man.. wow! the guitar is freakin awesome! accept no substitute!
    • July 14, 2010 8:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

You cats just keep amazing me! I just took a long listen into these Ethiopiques releases, amazing stuff!! What a stellar series, obviously these dudes were well versed in the local and regional music styles. I'm downloading a variety of volumes from this series right now. And WFMU is an amazing radio station, I listen almost too often to the shows there, plenty of amazing unheard classics to blow your mind, for hours and hours.... Jon Bard said:
      Yeah, all the "Addis Ababa Swing" stuff is righteous. These guys were obviously versed in Arab and African music, then they heard be-bop, then they heard funk and they created something so wonderfully cool. It didn't last long, but what those cats left behind is pretty special.

I highly recommend Ethiopiques, Vol. 8: Swinging Addis -- it's killer. (all the Ethipiques CDs are, in fact)

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I can hear what you mean by accessible. It's kind of fun to hear a bit of black American music going overseas and influencing the influencers.

Jon Bard said:
      Haven't seen this mentioned, so I'll toss in my two cents for something amazingly fresh and yet thoroughly accessible. This guy's amazing:

• July 13, 2010 6:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Yeah, all the "Addis Ababa Swing" stuff is righteous. These guys were obviously versed in Arab and African music, then they heard be-bop, then they heard funk and they created something so wonderfully cool. It didn't last long, but what those cats left behind is pretty special. I highly recommend Ethiopiques, Vol. 8: Swinging Addis -- it's killer. (all the Ethipiques CDs are, in fact)

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I can hear what you mean by accessible. It's kind of fun to hear a bit of black American music going overseas and influencing the influencers.

Jon Bard said:
      Haven't seen this mentioned, so I'll toss in my two cents for something amazingly fresh and yet thoroughly accessible. This guy's amazing:

• July 13, 2010 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can hear what you mean by accessible. It's kind of fun to hear a bit of black American music going overseas and influencing the influencers. Jon Bard said:

• July 13, 2010 6:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WFMU's a great hunting ground for different stuff. I really rate this radio station and could honk on about it for days! the dave the spazz and fools paradise shows are great, but there's tons of other interesting stuff on there and it's always worth checking out the blogs: http://blog.wfmu.org/ http://wfmuichiban.blogspot.com/
    • July 13, 2010 12:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel