Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: 33 1/3 series

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 16, 2012 12:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Does anyone else enjoy this book series? Each one documents the creation/importance of an album.

Each book is a quick read (no more than 200 pages) and you can get some good insight on the artists and the songwriting/recording process.here's a good mix of old and new. The Beatles, Stones, James Brown, The Kinks, Tom Waits, The Pogues, Pixies, The ReplacementsNirvana have all been covered.

There are a few in the series where the book's writer only talks about how the album has affected their life (leading to a few unsatisfied fans), but overall I think they're great.

Here's the whole dang list of titles.

• November 21, 2012 4:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Darnielle's too. I think it brings more insight to the table than a straight historical take on the band.

• November 19, 2012 8:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My favorite is the Master's of Reality written by John Darnielle of the mountain goats. It reads like Catcher in the Rye for the 1980's 'my parents thought metal made my hate' generation. 

• November 16, 2012 9:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I could see SONGS THE LORD TAUGHT US  being written about in the series.  But someone would have to be super-dedicated indeed to write one on The Dirtbombs, I think.

Grazianohmygod said:

They do take open calls for proposals. So if anyone was super-dedicated to writing a book about their favorite garage punk classic, and they had an extremely persuasive proposal they might just make it happen.

I know they're gonna do Richard Hell and the Voidoids Blank Generation soon. I could totally see the Cramps making the cut one day, or even The Dirtbombs' Ultraglide in Black.

• November 16, 2012 6:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They do take open calls for proposals. So if anyone was super-dedicated to writing a book about their favorite garage punk classic, and they had an extremely persuasive proposal they might just make it happen.

I know they're gonna do Richard Hell and the Voidoids Blank Generation soon. I could totally see the Cramps making the cut one day, or even The Dirtbombs' Ultraglide in Black.

• November 16, 2012 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think they are fun little reads but at the same time they do feel like the equivelant of those VH-1 Classic albums series.  I personally don't feel they are going to dive into garage punk territory beyond BLACK MONK TIME(if they decide to even do that album), simply because it's loved by alternative fans as well as garage fans.  The Stooges FUNHOUSE is probably another they'll do but waiting for a Gories book or any of the Billy Childish albums is probably futile.

• November 16, 2012 1:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like this series and I've read a few of them. They vary in quality but because of my interest in the topic I've always enjoyed them. Short books = quick read. The best ones I've read so far are the ones on MC5 - Kick Out the Jams and Love - Forever Changes. Not a lot of coverage of garage punk, but the series is still ongoing so who knows? According to Wikipedia they're up to 86 books so far.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel