Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Post your gear/setup

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 9, 2011 8:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fender Lead I  (awesome ax with a really hot humbucker)

through a 

SOVTEK Mig60 (chunky raunchy stew amp)

drummer uses...

Ludwig Drumset w/ one rack tom, floor tom, snare, hi-hat, crash and ride, and kick.

• November 3, 2011 2:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ive got a few guitars I play but heres my recording setup.

One shure microphone(except for drums, forget that list..)

one laney all tube amp(the cheapest one! 10 inch speaker). I think theyre one of the best all tube amps for the price, much better than the fenders in the same range.

One univox hi-flyer mosrite copy (pictured). If you see one dont pick it up I want more of them.

through a big muff with wicker and/or a Univox superfuzz clone.

download the zipped album here!

http://www.mediafire.com/?y835cpsinfz31

• November 2, 2011 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Live we use a black Fender Telecaster plugged to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, through a Boss Blues Driver and a MXR Micro Amp, a black Rickenbacker 360/6 plugged to a Vox AC15 through a Frantone Peachfuzz and a Roger Mayer Concorde+ treble booster, and a P-bass copy that nobody knows what make it is, apart from the bass player!

At the studio we use whatever lies around, such as a 68 Fender Bandmaster, a Frankensteined Strat and an assortment of pedals.

• October 30, 2011 8:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I play an Ibanez Jet King Bass, with a modified tone pot, into an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n, into a Boss ME-20B (not a big fan of this, but I use it as my "spice rack" and not my "main ingredient"), into an Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man Deluxe, into a Mark Bass head and finally into Ampeg 4x10 HLF cab.

Favorite Tone:  Thunderous-growling-fuzz with a haunting reverse echo and reverb, channeling the ghost of Deep Purple's organ as produced by Phil Spector. Nasty.

• October 9, 2011 4:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of two drumkits; 70s blue sparkly Ludwig or painted and logo-ed cheapo Stagg (which gets the most use and is due some attention....)

Telecaster through Fender Twin Reverb (for choice!) by way of a Holy Grail - my amp that generally gets used is a 70s HH into a slope-front 4x12.

80s Yamaha bass, Marshall 100w lead/bass into 1x15 cab.

Spare guitar - Squier Duo-Sonic or Fender Jag-stang.

• October 5, 2011 1:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My current setup...

Guitars:

Danelectro DC-59

Danelectro DC-59 - 12 strings

Squier Telecaster Custom

Pedal chain:

Behringer Tuner - Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz - Octafuzz (DIY) - Tube Screamer (DIY) - Electro Harmonix Screaming Bird - Danelectro Spring King - Danelectro Reel Echo - Electro Harmonix Lpb-1 (booster)

Main amplifier:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

• October 4, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

some what off topic ,but you guys think of the fender vibro champ xd (vintage modified sieries ) if heard its all tube but with extra gain stages sou you can get hot rod sounds ,tweed sounds ,blackface sounds ,brit sounds etc but im concerd about what the quality of the digi effects (that said i could just get a reissue 63 reverb tank and a tremolo pedal for my effects...
    • August 27, 2011 5:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Giuitar

-tosca thunderstick

Amp

-Goldentone 1755 Reverb Master

Drums

-pearl forum series bass drum and snare drum bent over with a kick 

Mic

-1960's Vietnam war gentex helicopter helmet   

• August 26, 2011 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i got some crap:

guitars

avon sg copy ,made in the mid 60s i belive .a previous owner fitted a single coil in the neck position and added a schaller single coil in the middle positio which is great

amplification

vox vt20+ ,not very garage ,its a moddeling amp set to model a tweed fender twin with reasable doses of fuzz and reverb or ocasionally a 59 bassman with heavy reverb and some liberal tremolo for my own brand of dark twisted surf trash

• October 4, 2010 12:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So on the reverb front I recently picked up a used Digitech Digiverb and it seems to be a pretty good choice if you can find one for cheap. The spring setting is really the only one I use and it sounds good at relatively subtle levels and not too bad for washed out surf. It does the palm mute surf "drip" sound very easily and it might do it too much for some people. I don't know if it's on par with a real outboard tank in that respect or not. Be aware that although it's capable of running on batteries some won't actually work with batteries it has a high current draw so you'll want to get an adapter. All in all I think it's a good option for people on a budget (garage rockers) and digital effects seem to be getting better and better, but of course it won't be as good as some real springs.
    • September 14, 2010 11:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can you recommend the Ultra 3? How's it to play and how does it sound? Is it good with fuzz? I'm in Finland and the only Schecters they have here are those ugly metal guitars, so no chance for me to try the Ultra myself. gumbo chaff said:
      I am using a schecter ultra III thro a boss me 70 into a hughes and kettner edition blue(the best thing about this amp is it has a cool BLUE backlight on the control panel !! its quite a simple setup but it works for me at the moment .I want a peavey wiggy !! and some more ultras.
    • September 5, 2010 12:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am using a schecter ultra III thro a boss me 70 into a hughes and kettner edition blue(the best thing about this amp is it has a cool BLUE backlight on the control panel !! its quite a simple setup but it works for me at the moment .I want a peavey wiggy !! and some more ultras.
    • September 4, 2010 2:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My main guitar is an Epiphone SG built in South Korea. I got it in high school, when the SG was my dream guitar (they look so cool, and I love the tone -- in high school especially I was big time into stoner/doom metal). I want to get another guitar at some point, I'm thinking about a telecaster -- but that's sort of off in the future as I don't have an excess of cash right now. I usually use Fender Bullets for strings.

My amp is a Kustom Quad 65 DFX, which is alright. It's got a really good sound for a solid state amp, and isn't too huge convenient for me to schlep around to practices and shows. Onboard effects actually don't suck (I only use the reverb and echo, though it has a bunch more).

For effects pedals I keep it pretty simple; a crybaby wah and a Big Muff Pi. At some point I want to get a reverb pedal, but for now the reverb effect on my amp is god enough.

I only started playing garage rock recently but when I was in metal bands I got made fun of for "trying to sound like I was from the sixties," which I took as a compliment.
    • September 4, 2010 8:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I currently use a Vox overdrive pedal (the one with two overdrives so i can have a crunchy sound for general playing and a more distorted sound for solos) through a Marshal JCM600 valve combo. I really love that amp... I got it back in '96 and have had to fix it a couple of times (recently changing the valves) but it sounds great. It does weight a ton although it's not too big. I recently got a small Laney Cub10 to play at home and record. It sounds really great for such a small amp... I also use an analog delay from Carl Martin for the more psychedelic parts...

Right now I've got a very thin SV470 Ibanez guitar that was my first decent electric guitar and has an amazing neck 8thin and fast) but have recently gotten an old Grestch Corvette which I think will be great for the sound of the band (still don't have it with me though...)
    • August 22, 2010 1:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds cool to me! We need clips! David Alexander Niehoff said:
      I make the best out of what I got, and that ain't much at all. I'm not really much into performing so really all I have is some basic shit. I'm not in a band right now so I only have my solo project in which I use nothing but a bass guitar to create my shite punk. I use a Crate BX-15 for my amp, and my Fender J-Bass for all the Guitar parts. For the "Guitar" tracks I crank the distortion, and Overdrive while strumming chords on it. It does sound a lot like a regular guitar and if you didn't know it wasn't a guitar you'd think it was. For the bass parts I either use my J-Bass or if I want something with a little more BOOM I use my Washburn P-Bass. For Drums I unfortunately use a drum program since I don't own any drums. I think it sounds decent enough though. Since I can't sing worth a fuck I use as much distortion on my vocals as I can while still keeping it where you can understand what I'm saying.
    • August 22, 2010 2:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I make the best out of what I got, and that ain't much at all. I'm not really much into performing so really all I have is some basic shit. I'm not in a band right now so I only have my solo project in which I use nothing but a bass guitar to create my shite punk. I use a Crate BX-15 for my amp, and my Fender J-Bass for all the Guitar parts. For the "Guitar" tracks I crank the distortion, and Overdrive while strumming chords on it. It does sound a lot like a regular guitar and if you didn't know it wasn't a guitar you'd think it was. For the bass parts I either use my J-Bass or if I want something with a little more BOOM I use my Washburn P-Bass. For Drums I unfortunately use a drum program since I don't own any drums. I think it sounds decent enough though. Since I can't sing worth a fuck I use as much distortion on my vocals as I can while still keeping it where you can understand what I'm saying.
    • August 21, 2010 2:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah it basically is a Gretsch Corvette w/ minibuckers. I'm debating a filtertron or soapbar bridge replacement. I hear ya on the neck issue; I like the fattest necks possible. This one is weird. It's got a wide fretboard with a slim and very flat neck. Takes getting used to but it is good for bouncy and fast bar chords. That and the trebly/chimey pickups make this guitar into my posterchild for getting first album Clash tones. Jamie said:
      Congrats dude those look awesome! How is the neck on those? A friend of mine has an Epiphone Les Paul and the neck is surprisingly thin. I usually like my necks a little thicker than normal. You can get those for a great price too. If it wasn't similar to the Gretsch Corvette I have being mahagony and 24 3/4 scale I would be very tempted to get one.

Brandon Reed said:
      I just picked up one of those Epiphone 66 Wilshire reissues. I'm quite impressed. I wanted one after seeing Wayne Kramer/Sonic Smith/Deniz Tek using those old epiphones. Surprisingly mine sounds fantastic, looks cool, and I don't even think it needs the hardware upgraded. It excels at chimey jangly tones on up to dirty Stones and Thunders when at full tilt. Just an FYI! Always try before you buy though. I have a feeling this one was a lucky find.
    • August 20, 2010 11:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Congrats dude those look awesome! How is the neck on those? A friend of mine has an Epiphone Les Paul and the neck is surprisingly thin. I usually like my necks a little thicker than normal. You can get those for a great price too. If it wasn't similar to the Gretsch Corvette I have being mahagony and 24 3/4 scale I would be very tempted to get one. Brandon Reed said:
      I just picked up one of those Epiphone 66 Wilshire reissues. I'm quite impressed. I wanted one after seeing Wayne Kramer/Sonic Smith/Deniz Tek using those old epiphones. Surprisingly mine sounds fantastic, looks cool, and I don't even think it needs the hardware upgraded. It excels at chimey jangly tones on up to dirty Stones and Thunders when at full tilt. Just an FYI! Always try before you buy though. I have a feeling this one was a lucky find.
    • August 20, 2010 11:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well the only dirt pedal I have right now is a Proco Rat that I won in a giveaway from Proco and I will say that it's pretty versatile. You can use it as a dirty boost into the amp or set it for a fuzz type sound. There are probably more pedal companies now than at any time before so you're options are pretty extensive. What kind of sounds are you going for? Gareth Brown said:
      Hello Jamie, thank you for your comments - i'm sticking with vintage Fender amps and will be looking up those you mentioned! What pedals do you recommend if any?
    • August 20, 2010 1:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 20, 2010 1:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hello Jamie, thank you for your comments - i'm sticking with vintage Fender amps and will be looking up those you mentioned! What pedals do you recommend if any? Jamie said:
      As far Fender bass amps go I would recommend reading up on some of the blackface and silverface bassman circuits (some of the circuits stayed the same into the seventies I believe) or a Musicmaster combo bass amp from the seventies is supposed be awesome. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Gareth Brown said:
      I'm in the process of trying to find band members in the Bournemouth/Dorset area (UK). I play an original 1967 Supro through a Fender Champ from around 1972. I can get a good sound from it but feel very limited at the moment - I think i'm gonna need a bigger amp and maybe a couple of pedals (analogue of course). I was thinking of playing through a decent old Fender bass amp as I have been advised that this often produces good results. Any suggestions?
    • August 20, 2010 1:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool man! Thanks for the advice! Brandon Reed said:
      I get great dirty chime out of my JTM45. All I have to do is crank the master volume and I get into Dave Davies circa 'I Need You'. If that isn't great garage tone, I don't know what is.

I think more than the amp, it's important how to eq. Lots of treble w/ mild overdrive and fuzz to kick you for leads.

People also say don't use Gibsons for garage rock and again I'd say with the proper eq and playing technique you can get a great garagey tone. YMMV but I have to stand up for my own gear. :D
    • August 16, 2010 4:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"dirty chime" that's sounds like my goal too. hahah Yeah, nothing wrong with Gibsons. Link Wray used Les Pauls and Firebirds at different points. Keith Richards used a Les Paul in the sixties I believe. Gear is fun but it really is the player that matters the most. Brandon Reed said:
      I get great dirty chime out of my JTM45. All I have to do is crank the master volume and I get into Dave Davies circa 'I Need You'. If that isn't great garage tone, I don't know what is.

I think more than the amp, it's important how to eq. Lots of treble w/ mild overdrive and fuzz to kick you for leads.

People also say don't use Gibsons for garage rock and again I'd say with the proper eq and playing technique you can get a great garagey tone. YMMV but I have to stand up for my own gear. :D
    • August 16, 2010 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As far Fender bass amps go I would recommend reading up on some of the blackface and silverface bassman circuits (some of the circuits stayed the same into the seventies I believe) or a Musicmaster combo bass amp from the seventies is supposed be awesome. I wouldn't mind having one myself. Gareth Brown said:
      I'm in the process of trying to find band members in the Bournemouth/Dorset area (UK). I play an original 1967 Supro through a Fender Champ from around 1972. I can get a good sound from it but feel very limited at the moment - I think i'm gonna need a bigger amp and maybe a couple of pedals (analogue of course). I was thinking of playing through a decent old Fender bass amp as I have been advised that this often produces good results. Any suggestions?
    • August 15, 2010 1:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel