Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Radio What Wave from London, Ontario Canada...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 14, 2018 7:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist April 13/2018

Another all London playlist as we’re deep into the week of celebrations/shows/events of The Jack Richardson Music Week here in London Ontario. We come to the climax on Sunday night at the awards ceremony at London Music Hall. Hope to see some of you there!

But we started this week with a non-London interview, Son Of Dave, infamous one man blues band, who just happened to be playing at the London Music Club that eve. Son Of Dave’s music has been used in many television shows, online adverts, he’s opened for The Stooges and done so much more! Even won a Juno Award in his  previous combo, Crash Test Dummies!

1. Son Of Dave….Lust For Life…from the Son Of Dave Plays 13 Explosive Hits CD.
      2. Nervousmen….Joy Decision….from a recent download and these guys have a show on April 21 at Call The Office.
      3. Black Holes….Miss Pearl….live recording from the long gone Brunswick Hotel. This is the start of our London rockabilly set. Black Holes feature local artist and guitar wizard Tom Hilborn. You can catch Tom’s paintings in various galleries around the city.
      4. Viv Sun and the Black Holes….Train Kept A Rollin’….1996 demo recording of the old Tiny Bradshaw tune. Tom Hilborn was also the guitarist in this combo that evolved into just the Black  Holes. Black Holes do play around once in a blue moon, and always put on great shows!
      5. Larry Lee and the Leesures….Odd Man Out….from their self titled LP from around 1965. Rockabilly in 1965 was a step out of time as was this song. Coulda and maybe shoulda been covered by The Cramps, instead, the Black Holes covered it at live shows.
      6. Running From Daylight….Mary Jane….new demo from this local psychobilly/rbilly combo that is keeping the sound alive in London. So ends our rockabilly set.
      7. Condo Christ….Weekend Alcoholic…from the London Underground LP, the first CHRW LP compilation of London bands. CHRW has released at least 5 compilations of local combos and we’re playing a song from 5 of them. The 5th is a cassette, that is inside the Jack Richardson Music Hall Museum as part of a local cassette display.
      8. Frankenstein 5….It’s A Cryin’ Shame….from the London Underground Dig Deeper CD from 1994. F5 were the only exclusive 60’s garage combo to come out of London. They appeared on a couple of WW cassettes and also released their own cassette, recorded right here at CHRW.
      9. Salmon Blaster….Chomalungma…from the London Underground 3 CD from 1995. Salmon Blaster are re-uniting for one show at Call The Office tonite as part of the Jack Richardson London Music week.
      10. Don’t Touch The Dancers….Make Me Sick….from the LDN CD, the latest CHRW compilation.
      11. Mountain Of Wolves….Don’t Call My Name….from their Poison LP and they will be playing on Sunday night as part of the award ceremonies at the London Music Hall.
      12. Randall Pee Coltrane….Just A Heartbeat….from the recent Atomic Love Burrito CD and we had Randall live onair a couple weeks back.
      13. Shakey Jack….I Can’t See You No More….from the Demics Covers CD put out by Nick Perry, original Demic drummer.
      14. Pogo Pete….Life Is A Crazy Passion….as above and a summation of the summer of 77/78 here in London Ontario.
      15. UIC….How Deep Is Your Love….recorded live at Bullwinkles 2/14/1986 and goes out to bass player Dan Preszcator who passed away 2 weeks ago. Bullwinkles was also called Kellys Boogie Parlour, Hard Times, Salt Lounge and probably a couple other names. The building is still standing (with external support) so grab a picture while you can.
      16. The Hippies….How You Gonna Live….from the early 80’s. The picture sleeve for this one, as well as a TON of other London 7” records is on display at the Jack Richardson London Music Museum at 182 Dundas St, the old Nash Jewellers store front.
      17. Jane Doe….There’s A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He’s Elvis….teamwork as musicians from various combos got together to put this one out.
      18. B Girls…. B Side….from the Bomp label from 1979 and features Marcy Saddy on the tubs.
      19. The Zellots….Let’s Play House….from their 1978 Vancouver recordings with Heather Haley on vocals. After doing this, they moved back to London and reformed with a new drummer and vocalist.
      20. Cordcalling….When I Scream….from the CD of the same name.
      21. Pacanomad….Heaven Can Wait….from the Restless CD.
      22. Baby Giant…..High Tide….from the Baby Giant 2 download and they were in the CBC contest a few weeks back.
      23. The Fine Print….Last Night…from the Standing Out CD and they released a cassette on the WW label.
      24. Fiends….Never Old…from the brand new Easy Does It CD and they will be playing at Old East 765 tonite.
      25. Terminal Wallys…..East End….from the New Old School CD and all about the east end of this city.
      26. TVD….I’d Kiss You Honey But You’re Standing On My Bottom Lip…from the Salvation Through Distraction CD.
      27. Finks….Can’t Say No….from their only 7” from the mid 80’s and features bass player Pete Feend who is still playing to this day.

Thanx to Son Of Dave for taking the time to call in. Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, FB messages and texts!! And all the kind words!! That’s what keeps us going!!!

You can often find me at the Jack Richardson Music Musuem on Saturday afternoons, helping the curator, Rena get things done. There’s a few displays that will be of special interest to listeners of Radio WW and we just received some new stuff yesterday from the big band era. Johnny Downs was a HUGE influence to the local big band and jazz scene through his restaurant, The Latin Quarter.

Back again next week with a bit more local stuff from the past and lots of new stuff!

There might be an archived show here:

http://www.radiowestern.ca/program/radio-what-wave

• April 20, 2018 7:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist April 20/2018

1. Yur Mum….Intro and DR Zsolt….from a brand new release called Road Rage from this UK trio.
      2. The Vypers….Mr Girl….from their recent 10” and they will be playing next Friday at Call The Office. Really dig their psych sounds and we’ll either have them in studio next week or via phone to find out their story.
      3. Dong Vegan…..Switch Hitter….from the He-Job Sessions release and they are playing with the Vypers next Friday.
      4. Fashionism…..Checking Out The Checkout Girl….from the just released today Pentagon Black Compilaton Volume 4. This comp is all one take recordings and Fashionism features Jeffy Clone, who also sang in….
      5. Tranzmitors….Some Girls….7” on the La Ti Da Record label from 2006. And this is my fave Tranzmitors single as it has Dancing In The Front Row on the flip side!
      6. Mack MacKenzie….Devil Likes Me….recorded live in the Radio What Wave studio 6/16/2017. And Mack will be at Fitzrays on Wednesday April 25th.
      7. 3 O’Clock Train….Train Of Dreams….from the Wig Wam Beach EP from 1985. This was Mack’s country rock combo that jump started his career. This tune got a lot of airplay on Much Music back in its time!
      8. 3 O’Clock Train….Stupid Little Angel….as above. This guy can really write some good songs!
      9. Running From Daylight….Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet….from the CD Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet that we got just before going on air. RFD have their CD release this coming Thursday when they open for the Living Deads  at Call The Office.
      10. Krista D…..Land Mine…from the brand new re-ish of the Look At Me CD.
      11. Jeremy Porter and the Tucos….Patty’s Not Impressed….from the Don’t Worry It’s Not Contagious CD and these guys were  in town last Thursday. Only caught the first of three (ya three!!) sets and they were rocking out very nicely! American meets power pop meets story telling songs and well worth checking out if you get the chance.
      12. Dany Laj and the Looks….Left Right To One….from the brand new 7” and they are back in town on the Friday of the May long weekend.
      13. Drivin’ Beats….Drivin’ Me Crazy….latest demos from this garage meets surf meets powerpop  combo.
      14. Archie and the Bunkers…You’re My Pacemaker….from the brand new Songs From The Lodge release on Dirty Water Records.
      15. Wars In Transit….Safety….from a self released 1982 cassette and from Guelph Ontario. They played the Cedar Lounge back in the early 80’s.
      16. Labasheeda….On The Beach….from their recent Changing Lights release and from the Netherlands.
      17. Charlie Weber….Self Titled….from his Major/Minor CD and from Exeter via London. Caught Charlie at the Jack Richardson pub crawl at Call The Office. He had some of the Mountain Of Wolves guys backing him up and they rocked out quite nicely. Expect a record on Forest City Records late summer/fall.
      18. Oily Birds….Yesterday’s Numbers….from a live recording at CHRW 4/29/2010 and 2 of the guys in the Boy From Nowhere band.
      19. Coaching For Sara….Sister Won’t….from the Remastered CD and from London.
      20. Evil Hoodoos…Have You Seen My Baby…..from a live recording at the Electric Banana 6/20/1991. Sounds like 2 or 3 of the Boy From Nowhere along with James Bond on the keyboards and Wailin’ Wayne Pattern on the vocals.
      21. Long Day Journey…..Curio Shoppe….from the Count Bonniwell Electric CD and from Hamilton Ontario.
      22. Long Day Journey….I’m Giving You The Warning…. As above.
      23. Mourning Reign…..Satisfaction Guaranteed…..from The Finest Hours Of US 60’s Punk compilation on Eva Records.
      24. Shades Of Night…..Fluctuation….from the Open Up Your Door Volume 2 compilation of 60’s punk.
      25. Keith Kessler….Don’t Crowd Me….from the Ear-Piercing Punk compilation of 60’s garage punk and goes out to Michael Chandler of The Raunch Hands who is having some issues.
      26. Bureaucrats……Grown Up Age….from the Bureacrats LP that collects most of their recordings and goes out to Gaz Sidwell, vocalist who passed away this week.
      27. Bureaucrats….She’s An American…. As above.
      28. Bureaucrats….Now and Then…. As above.
      29. Bureaucrats…..Feel The Pain…. As above.
      30. Them…..Gloria….from the Endless Journey compilation of 60’s psych and punk. This was recorded after the band moved to the US and Van Morrison was long gone.
      31. Them….Baby Please Don’t Go… as above and cut off as we ran out of time.

Big Thanx to all that volunteered and came out to celebrate Jack Richardson Music Week here in London. It was an amazing success with so many things going on over the week. And congrats to the winners at the awards ceremony on Sunday night!

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, FB messages, texts and Heys!!! That’s what makes it all worthwhile!!!

We’ve got an interview with the Vypers scheduled for next week as they are at Call The Office next Friday.

• April 28, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist April 27/2018

1. Sugar Brown…..Looking For 2 O’Clock….new CD called Calling All Blues from this Toronto based blues combo that just came into CHRW. Way cool authentic sounding blues from this scholar of the blues whom we hope to get to London at some point.
      2. The Jack Cades…..Big Fish…from the brand new Freakbeat Fraternity release on Dirty Water Records from the UK. On the tubs is our pal Mole, long time drummer for such elite outfits as The Higher State, Embrooks and so many more in his long and dedicated career. Another new arrival at CHRW!
      3. Lawn….My Boy….from the Blood On The Tracks release from this New Orleans pop combo. Yet another new arrival here at CHRW!
      4. The Lawn….Reconsider Baby…from the Debussy Fields CD from 1992 and from Toronto. Had to play this due to the same names of the bands. This combo has Lonnie James on the tubs, a vet of so many cool Toronto outfits; Living Proof, Naugahyde 5 and lots more.
      5. Tuerto Loco….Nancy Sinatra….recorded live here on Radio WW back 5/12/2011. And these wackos are at the St Regis tonite!
      6. Fiends….Vacation….from the recent Easy Does It release, and from London Ontario.
      7. Vypers….Deep Save….from the Champion 100 10” that is about to be released and we yammered a quick one over the phone, as Vypers were in town last night at Call The Office. Any band with psych sounds that mentions 13th Floor Elevators and Spaceman 3 has their roots firmly planted on solid ground!
      8. Vypers….Reaper… as above. They mentioned working on a new full length with slightly slower but more ominous sounds.
      9. Dong Vegan….Bugs….from the He Job Sessions and they opened (and share gigs) with Vypers.
      10. No Pussyfooting…..Fake Wood and Chrome….from the brand new Pentagon Black 4 compilation and from Peterborough.
      11. Occasional Angels….Be There….from Ottawa and found this fine soul combo via the recent CBC awards thing.
      12. Ronnie Lee…..Dare To Be Different….from the Permanent New Wave comp and this goes out to our pal Sue who is not doing well. Rena and Sue were best friends through university and teacher’s college and both went out to the local clubs to catch the punk/new wave thing that was happening in the late 70’s/80’s. Sue was with Rena when I asked her out for the first time (at a Shakin’ Pyramids show at Fryfogles) and when I told Sue what I did (fix computers) she replied, ‘you don’t look Asian’ my introduction to her dry sarcastic humour. Well Rena and I have been together since, and found out recently, it was us that introduced Sue to her longtime hubby Paul….again at a punk rock show, and this time, at our usual hangout back then, The Cedar Lounge. This song sums up everything about those punk/new wave days and is from 1978.
      13. The Alleycats….Black Haired Girl…from the Sharp Cuts compilation. From about 1978 and Sue was into cats (still is) and has black hair…
      14. Ronnie Lee….Some Like It Hot….from the Permanent New Wave comp….
      15. The Fast….Kids Just Wanna Dance….from the Sharp Cuts comp and from about 1979. We did a lot of dancing back in those days and had a lotta fun. This one not only sums it up, but these guys played the Cedar Lounge back in about 1979. A pictures exists of the band on stage from the area of the entrance to the club….I’m trying to get my hands on this pic as it’s a rare full stage shot from the Cedar Lounge.
      16. Raunch Hands…Stomp It…from their 1984 debut 7” and the one that made me a fan. Remember writing to the address on the back of the single and getting a response from Michael Tchang and finally meeting the band at the Star Club back in 1985.  This RH set goes out to singer Michael Chandler.
      17. Raunch Hands….Spit It On The Floor….from the El Rauncho Grande EP from 1985 and there’s a lesson in this song.
      18. Raunch Hands….Ford…as above. Pictures are up on FB for Chandler and we’ve put lots from the Star Club shows and the band’s one appearance here in London Ontario at Bullwinkles from 1986.
      19. Hook Up….Greyhound To Graceland…from the Cruel Sounds CD on Transistor 66 Records.
      20. The Zellots….On The Dole…from the flexi and from about 1979.
      21. Teenage Head….Teenage Beer Drinkin’ Party….from the recent Fun Comes Fast CD and TH were in town recently at Call The Office.
      22. The Judys…..Sex and The Single Malt….from their debut CD and from Vancouver with our pal Pete Feend on the bass.
      23. Gus Cordovox…..Trashpickin’….from the You’re Soaking In It compilation from 1988 and features Philly and area bands. This track features Ben Vaughn on the telecaster. This show was going to feature a bunch of compilations, but life gets in the way and we have to respect the past to build a better future.
      24. Harry Manx….Foxy Lady…from the Wise and Otherwise CD and he is at the Aeolian Hall on Thursday night.
      25. Soul Jazz Orchestra….Holla Holla…from the Under Burning Skies CD and from Ottawa.
      26. Tuxedomoon….Dark Companion….from the Ralph compilation Frank Johnsons Favorites on Ralph Records and from 1981. Bought this when I was obsessed with the crazy sounds of The Residents and everything they were associated with. Lost interest in The Residents, but still like a lot of what Tuxedomoon did.
      27. Chrome….Anti Fade….from the Subterranean Underground compilation from 1979 on Ralph Records. First heard about Chrome via Greg Shaw’s ground shattering zine, Who Put The Bomp? as Chrome ran adverts for their releases in it. I correctly assumed that anything that was in Who Put The Bomp had to be in my collection as that zine really opened doors for me! Got to see Helios Creed from Chrome at Call The Office 4/15/1992 and he autographed some of my records back then. Live audio of that one exists according to my files.
      28. Sheesham and Lotus and Son….Ida Red…from their Clear The Table CD and from Kingston. Coincidentally, they are now in the other London.

Ran outta time before tunes as per usual. Big Thanx to the Vypers for giving us a call on the road to London. And Thanx for all the messages, texts, phone calls and Heys!!

Back again next week and it looks like we’re going to be doing a special on the SOHO (for decades known as The Victoria Tavern) as it appears it has closed down. TONS of local and out of town bands have played that place over the years and we’ve put on many shows there as well.

• May 5, 2018 6:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

What Wave Playlist May 4/2018. A show dedicated to the Victoria Tavern/SoHo/Bucket Of Blood which has a sign that says “Closed Until Further Notice” which is what we’ll call this episode. We’re playing only bands/artists that graced the ‘stage’ of the Victoria Tavern over the last 35 or so years.

1. Uranus…..Around And Around….recorded at Kelly’s Boogie Parlour, another long gone London venue. Uranus played several times at the Victoria, with Ralph Dame on bass if I remember correctly.
      2. Uranus….Under My Thumb…. As above.
      3. Sci-Phonics….Play That Truck Drivin’ Tune….or something like that. Live recording from a long gone venue called The Road Apple, NE corner of York and Wellington 1/12/1986. The Sci-Phonics played the Victoria as a 3 piece and morphed into the long running 4 piece once John Charlton joined on the drums. Prior, stand up bass player Dave Zdryliuk banged on his bass a lot.
      4. Spiral Scratch….No Familiar Faces….from the Zulu Syndrome LP, and another band who morphed through a couple of lineup changes whilst doing gigs at The Victoria.
      5. The Hippies….Rock’n’Roll….live recording (1/16/1984) from another long gone venue, Fryfogles, which was on Dundas St right about where the library presently is. One of the posters for their gigs at the Victoria, had a show listed as a death date, presumably their final show.
      6. The Hippies….Neat Neat Neat… as above.
      7. Napalm Babys….Gun Control….from a live CD they released recorded in Ottawa. Lead singer Dave was supposedly involved in the alleged golden girl incident which actually made the local newspapers here…musta been a slow day and someone had a really good lawyer. If you were there, you know the truth.
      8. Dead Rabbits….I Don’t Care….from a live recording at the Cedar Lounge 2/9/1982, another venue that is long gone….we’ll be doing a special on The Cedar Lounge in August as it will be 40 years ago for the transformation from the Blue Boot Hotel, to the classier Cedar Lounge with its tacky cedar shingles on the walls.
      9. October Crisis…..Everyday….from a self titled CD from 1985 and these guys reform every now and again.
      10. 63 Monroe….Party Like A Rock Star…..from the Stunning CD and this band played the Victoria quite recently.
      11. Flying Squad….Fahrenheit 451….from their Come And Play cassette release and these guys played many a gig at the Victoria. I was informed that is not a cowbell on this recording, but a firebell and the drummer actually had 2 of them….firebells that is.
      12. Boy From Nowhere…Rack My Mind….from a live recording at the Town And Country (now 765 east) 10/5/2013. Boy From Nowhere did their first public appearance at the Victoria, after morphing from Blood Brothers and The Hippies.
      13. Ten Heads….Fading Out….from the Swimming and Singing CD and they played recently at the Victoria.
      14. The Mongrels….All Systems Go…..from a demo and the first time we saw this combo was at the Victoria many years ago.
      15. The Corndogs…..Lemon Head….from the Cliffhanger LP from 1987.
      16. Nosmo King Jr…..City Of Faith….from the CHRW London Underground compilation and according to bass player Lionel Lodge, the band was booked to play the Victoria and no showed!
      17. The Others….Ostrich Trick….from a split 7” with Dumb from 1995
      18. Deja Voodoo…. Big Scary Daddy….from a live recording at Key West, yet another long gone venue, from 10/22/1987. Deja Voodoo played downstairs at the Victoria twice. The first time 3 different parties (unbeknownst to each other) created posters for this gig. It worked, and people came out to see this band from Montreal. The second time through, they were staying at our place when we were offered What Wave zine from Al Cole and had to make the decision on whether to take it over or not. Tony and Gerard said to do it, and we did! There’s pics on FB of the band playing at the Victoria from that show and other pics outside our old apartment on Elmwood, with the band and the Edsel.
      19. Deja Voodoo….Swamp Of Love… as above. There are pics on FB of this gig at the Key West as well.
      20. Rockin’ Bobby Harris…..Yup Yup Boogie…..from the 2 Dollar Bill and The Pennies CD and Rockin’ Bobby is the real deal, an actualy late 50’s rockabilly guy who could still do it.
      21. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats…Half Way To Memphis….from the Rip It Up CD and one of the bands that  played one of our 5 Rockabilly Massacre Shows at the Victoria. Those were fun action packed nights in which we set some records at the bar.
      22. Duke Sedan and the Hi Tones……Real Cool Daddy….from their self titled and released CD.
      23. Nasty Rashes….Hot Rod Hearse….from a live to air recorded during a Radio WW many years ago.
      24. Bloodshot Bill….. Shick Shack….from the Git High Tonite CD on Transistor 66 Records.
      25. The Greasemarks….Greasemark Boogie….from a demo CD they sent us.
      26. Evil Farm Children…..Border Blaster….from the Evilling CD and from Ottawa.
      27. Running From Daylight…..Deadman’s Crossing….from the brand new Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet CD and they played the Victoria recently.
      28. Lonesome Ghost…..Haunted By God…..from a demo and they were part of my fave show ever at the Victoria….Along with Speaking Tongues and John Schooley, this was a triple bill that shoulda packed the joint. Unfortunately, it was raining like a son of a bitch that eve, and only the fortunate few ventured out to catch this killer bill. It was Schooley’s first ever show in Canada, and happened right here!
      29. Speaking Tongues….Run To My Door….from their self titled debut CD.
      30. John Schooley…..Drive You Faster….from his self titled LP on Voodoo Rhythm Records.
      31. Sheesham, Lotus and Son…..Darling Cora……from their Clear The Table CD. This was the last show we caught at the Victoria, earlier this year, and was the best show we’ve seen so far this year. 3 piece old timey band from the Kingston, Ontario area and they’ve got their act down just perfect, with lots of crowd interaction and fun times!

There were lots more songs to play, some might get played next week. Huge thanx for the texts, emails, facebook messages, phone calls and Heys on this one!!! Another local venue bites the dust and we’ve all gotta get out there and support live bands and venues in this town!!

Back again next week with more noise and loads of new material.

You might be able to find an archived show here….I keep bugging management about the archives:

• May 5, 2018 6:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

What Wave Playlist May 4/2018. A show dedicated to the Victoria Tavern/SoHo/Bucket Of Blood which has a sign that says “Closed Until Further Notice” which is what we’ll call this episode. We’re playing only bands/artists that graced the ‘stage’ of the Victoria Tavern over the last 35 or so years.

1. Uranus…..Around And Around….recorded at Kelly’s Boogie Parlour, another long gone London venue. Uranus played several times at the Victoria, with Ralph Dame on bass if I remember correctly.
      2. Uranus….Under My Thumb…. As above.
      3. Sci-Phonics….Play That Truck Drivin’ Tune….or something like that. Live recording from a long gone venue called The Road Apple, NE corner of York and Wellington 1/12/1986. The Sci-Phonics played the Victoria as a 3 piece and morphed into the long running 4 piece once John Charlton joined on the drums. Prior, stand up bass player Dave Zdryliuk banged on his bass a lot.
      4. Spiral Scratch….No Familiar Faces….from the Zulu Syndrome LP, and another band who morphed through a couple of lineup changes whilst doing gigs at The Victoria.
      5. The Hippies….Rock’n’Roll….live recording (1/16/1984) from another long gone venue, Fryfogles, which was on Dundas St right about where the library presently is. One of the posters for their gigs at the Victoria, had a show listed as a death date, presumably their final show.
      6. The Hippies….Neat Neat Neat… as above.
      7. Napalm Babys….Gun Control….from a live CD they released recorded in Ottawa. Lead singer Dave was supposedly involved in the alleged golden girl incident which actually made the local newspapers here…musta been a slow day and someone had a really good lawyer. If you were there, you know the truth.
      8. Dead Rabbits….I Don’t Care….from a live recording at the Cedar Lounge 2/9/1982, another venue that is long gone….we’ll be doing a special on The Cedar Lounge in August as it will be 40 years ago for the transformation from the Blue Boot Hotel, to the classier Cedar Lounge with its tacky cedar shingles on the walls.
      9. October Crisis…..Everyday….from a self titled CD from 1985 and these guys reform every now and again.
      10. 63 Monroe….Party Like A Rock Star…..from the Stunning CD and this band played the Victoria quite recently.
      11. Flying Squad….Fahrenheit 451….from their Come And Play cassette release and these guys played many a gig at the Victoria. I was informed that is not a cowbell on this recording, but a firebell and the drummer actually had 2 of them….firebells that is.
      12. Boy From Nowhere…Rack My Mind….from a live recording at the Town And Country (now 765 east) 10/5/2013. Boy From Nowhere did their first public appearance at the Victoria, after morphing from Blood Brothers and The Hippies.
      13. Ten Heads….Fading Out….from the Swimming and Singing CD and they played recently at the Victoria.
      14. The Mongrels….All Systems Go…..from a demo and the first time we saw this combo was at the Victoria many years ago.
      15. The Corndogs…..Lemon Head….from the Cliffhanger LP from 1987.
      16. Nosmo King Jr…..City Of Faith….from the CHRW London Underground compilation and according to bass player Lionel Lodge, the band was booked to play the Victoria and no showed!
      17. The Others….Ostrich Trick….from a split 7” with Dumb from 1995
      18. Deja Voodoo…. Big Scary Daddy….from a live recording at Key West, yet another long gone venue, from 10/22/1987. Deja Voodoo played downstairs at the Victoria twice. The first time 3 different parties (unbeknownst to each other) created posters for this gig. It worked, and people came out to see this band from Montreal. The second time through, they were staying at our place when we were offered What Wave zine from Al Cole and had to make the decision on whether to take it over or not. Tony and Gerard said to do it, and we did! There’s pics on FB of the band playing at the Victoria from that show and other pics outside our old apartment on Elmwood, with the band and the Edsel.
      19. Deja Voodoo….Swamp Of Love… as above. There are pics on FB of this gig at the Key West as well.
      20. Rockin’ Bobby Harris…..Yup Yup Boogie…..from the 2 Dollar Bill and The Pennies CD and Rockin’ Bobby is the real deal, an actualy late 50’s rockabilly guy who could still do it.
      21. Pink Cadillac Scat Cats…Half Way To Memphis….from the Rip It Up CD and one of the bands that  played one of our 5 Rockabilly Massacre Shows at the Victoria. Those were fun action packed nights in which we set some records at the bar.
      22. Duke Sedan and the Hi Tones……Real Cool Daddy….from their self titled and released CD.
      23. Nasty Rashes….Hot Rod Hearse….from a live to air recorded during a Radio WW many years ago.
      24. Bloodshot Bill….. Shick Shack….from the Git High Tonite CD on Transistor 66 Records.
      25. The Greasemarks….Greasemark Boogie….from a demo CD they sent us.
      26. Evil Farm Children…..Border Blaster….from the Evilling CD and from Ottawa.
      27. Running From Daylight…..Deadman’s Crossing….from the brand new Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet CD and they played the Victoria recently.
      28. Lonesome Ghost…..Haunted By God…..from a demo and they were part of my fave show ever at the Victoria….Along with Speaking Tongues and John Schooley, this was a triple bill that shoulda packed the joint. Unfortunately, it was raining like a son of a bitch that eve, and only the fortunate few ventured out to catch this killer bill. It was Schooley’s first ever show in Canada, and happened right here!
      29. Speaking Tongues….Run To My Door….from their self titled debut CD.
      30. John Schooley…..Drive You Faster….from his self titled LP on Voodoo Rhythm Records.
      31. Sheesham, Lotus and Son…..Darling Cora……from their Clear The Table CD. This was the last show we caught at the Victoria, earlier this year, and was the best show we’ve seen so far this year. 3 piece old timey band from the Kingston, Ontario area and they’ve got their act down just perfect, with lots of crowd interaction and fun times!

There were lots more songs to play, some might get played next week. Huge thanx for the texts, emails, facebook messages, phone calls and Heys on this one!!! Another local venue bites the dust and we’ve all gotta get out there and support live bands and venues in this town!!

Back again next week with more noise and loads of new material.

You might be able to find an archived show here….I keep bugging management about the archives:

• May 12, 2018 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist May 11/2018

1. The Demics….New York City….recorded live somewhere in Toronto approx. 1980/1 as it has Steve Koch on the guitar. A request as one listener wanted to go to NYC.
      2. The Demics…..Oh Well….a segue into the next tune.
      3. Frankie and Jimmy….Shakemondown….from the about to be released Blues On The Brain LP and the record release party is set for June 21st at This Ain’t Hollywood. We’ve been promised F&J will have a 6 piece band for that show only….so make appropriate plans! And this is the same song that Fred McDowell and Johnny Woods do on the Memphis Swamp Jam double LP comp on Blue Thumb Records which slays me every listen. F&J do this song some mighty fine justice!
      4. Roger Zuraw….I Gotta Hunch…from his Feels Like Blues To Me CD from 2007 and this was our intro to Roger’s music.
      5. Schomberg Fair…..I Won’t Be Afraid…from the CD of the same name and from Toronto.
      6. Bath Salts….Cool Like The Music….from the Mardi Gras CD and these guys are playing Thursday night at Call The Office with Duotang and The Shanks.

The Shanks called in around this time to let us know about their  alienation from the neighbouring village of Orangeville, sheep farming, pointy footwear, visiting London and how it’s one of their fave places to play, releasing records in Germany and Spain, previous European tours and the upcoming Spanish tour and the mysterious disappearance of Colonel Crankshaft and his abled bodied tub beater replacement Dr Thunderwall. As always, an enlightening and hilarious conversation with this duo that don’t play London often enough, so catch them Thursday at Call The Office.

1. The Shanks…..Tenderizer….from the Skordalia CD
      2. The Shanks….Bridge Of Sighs….from the The Valley Of The Shadow Of CD
      3. The Dictators…..Master Race Rock….from the Go Girl Crazy LP from 1975 and goes out to drummer Stu Boy King who passed away last year. An essential album that helped trigger the musical/style shift that made the world a slightly better place artistically.
      4. The Dils….Tell Her You Love Her….from the I Hate The Rich Lp on Dionysus Records and goes out to bass player/singer Tony Kinman who passed away last week. They may have been considered an aggressive first wave punk combo, but just listen to those pop hooks and background vocals.
      5. Rank And File…..Rank And File….from the 1982 LP of the same name. When this came out, it turned a lot of ears sideways, blew a lot of minds, and started a whole musical movement that appreciated the better qualities of country and western music; jangly guitars, singers that actually could, tight harmony vocals, walking bass lines, subtle steel guitars and really good song writing!
      6. Jeremy Porter and the Tucos…..Walk Of Shame….from the recent Don’t Worry It’s Not Contagious CD and definitely inspired by the previous band on this list. Caught them a few weeks back at the Old 765 East and they were just amazing!!! A Detroit combo that seems to get overlooked by the masses.
      7. Dany Laj and the Looks….Left Right To One….from their recent split 7” and they will be in town on Friday May 18th at Call The Office. Montreal’s premier power pop combo!!
      8. Kirsta D….Black Eyed Susan….from the recent Look At Me I’m….CD. More Canadian powerpop.
      9. Lucy and The Rats…..Can’t Surf….from the brand new release on Dirty Water Records out of the UK and a current fave here!! Powerpop done without the power chords and relies on the powerful vocals of Lucy and the double rhythm guitars that weave in and out with enough hooks to wrap you into knots! Fun stuff and vocally reminds me a bit of Norway’s infamous (and best) powerpop combo The Dahlmanns. A righteous pedestal to apply!
      10. Dustbin Flowers…..Bayside Jenny….from their first CD and they are playing Wednesday at Fitzrays and part of Indie Night.
      11. Ginger St James…..Please Mr Driver…from the Diesel And Peas CD we have here at CHRW. Tonite at London Music Club…big room, big sound, fun times!!!
      12. The Common Cold….London Look….from the brand new Shut Up Yo Liberals! On Dirty Water Records and from the UK. Best band name in ages, and a song about London, so you can’t go wrong.
      13. Buttertones…..Midnight In A Moonless Dream…from the CD of the same name and from the LA area. Way big sound and they list a lot of OZ influences (Scientists and Birthday Party) as well as The Cramps. And with that on the pedigree, things will be just fine! Currently on tour, but nowhere near here.
      14. The Subsonics…Betty and Chita….from the brand new Flesh Coloured Paint on the Slovenly Label. These crazy cats from Atlanta have been staking the same sacred ground for about 30 years and have yet to see them! Solid early VU influences with glam overtones and that chugga chugga guitar gets me every time. Their 8th full length, and I have a stack of their singles from over the years.
      15. LKFFCT….Monkey Paw….from an EP that came to the station and from the NJ area.
      16. Long Day Journey….Kount 6…from their latest, The Count Bonniwell Electric CD. Kount 6 is probably an inside kudo to a certain Brockula fella that digs this kinda slop!
      17. The Nerves….One Way Ticket….from the LP of the same name on Alive Records and features Peter Case on guitar and vocals. Peter is coming to This Ain’t Hollywood on Tuesday, one of only 2 stops in Canada this tour. Peter was also in the Plimsouls, gods of power pop!!!
      18. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants….Grey and the Black….from the recent Half Wits LP on Speed City Records and they played the Richmond last night.
      19. Supersuckers….Thing About That…from the Sacrilicious Sounds Of The Supersuckers LP from 1995 and they will be in town Tuesday May 22 at Call The Office.
      20. Zellots…On The Dole…from the flexi recorded in Vancouver late 70’s.
      21. Marijata…Mother Africa....from the recent Pat Thomas Introduces Marijata LP re-ish on Mr Bongo Records. Originally released in 1976 on Gapophone Records in Ghana. Great re-ish of this rare soul/afrobeat record.
      22. Femi Kuti….Dem Dom Come Again….from his latest, One People Of The World CD.

Out of time, certainly not out of tunes. Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, FB messages, texts etc…..that’s what makes it all worth while.

Back again next week with some Shoobies and an interview with Dany Laj and the Looks as they are at Call The Office next Friday.

• June 2, 2018 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist June 1/2018

1. Teenage Head….Let’s Shake….from the recent Fun Comes Fast CD and drummer on this version is Marky Ramone.
      2. Wanda Jackson….Funnel Of Love…..recorded live at the Aeolian Hall 5/27/2005 and she had The Rizdales as her backing band. Rizdale Tom Dunphy has his Classic Country show at the Richmond at 4PM. And The Rizdales have a full band show at the Richmond on June 17th.
      3. The Rizdales….If You See My Baby….from the Bar and Lounge CD from 2004.
      4. The Dropouts….The Night The Caddy Died….from the After School Specials CD from 2005 and they were from London Ontario. Released 2 CD’s then relocated to Vancouver and broke up.
      5. Black Holes…..Super Freak….from a live recording at the Brunswick Hotel from 2002. Once in a blue moon the Black Holes surface.
      6. Black Holes….Miss Pearl….as above.
      7. Rockin’ Bobby Harris….Boppin’ The Blues….from a CD called With Two Dollar Bill and His Bad Pennies. Bobby is from Simcoe Ontario, and is an original rockabilly cat.
      8. Burnin’ Ethyl….Kittens In Lipstick….from the Rock’n’Roll Combustion CD from 2006 and from Hamilton Ontario.
      9. Dave Edmunds….Boys Talk….from a 1980 7”.
      10. Oberon Rose….No Stranger…from their recent Tell Me About It CD we just received at the station and from New England.
      11. Julia P….Killer Girls…..another new CD at the station, and this band is from Amsterdam.
      12. E…..Untie Me….from the Negative Work CD which just arrived at the station, and this combo is from Boston and features Thalia Zadek, who many years ago, performed in the next band….
      13. Dangerous Birds…..Alpha Romeo…..from a 1981 7” and from Boston.
      14. Lithics….Specs….from the Mating Surfaces CD that just arrived at CHRW, and from Portland Oregon.
      15. The Government….Paranoid Downtown Funk Part 2 and from the How Many Fingers Lp from 1981 and from Toronto. Part of the first wave of punk bands from Toronto, and The Government moved towards the funk sounds emanating from NYC in their last days.
      16. Bloodshot Bill….Gonna Get Gone….from his Guitar Boy Lp from 2016 and on Norton Records.
      17. Bloodshot Bill and Shannon….Honey Time….from a 7” on Slovenly Records.
      18. Bloodshot Bill….Honky Tonk Angels…..recorded live on CHRW 5/25/2007.
      19. Bloodshot Bill and Shannon…..True…..from a 7” on Slovenly Records.
      20. Bloodshot Bill….Wolf Call….from his So Blue CD from 2013.
      21. Bloodshot Bill….Don’t Wanna See You No More…..from his Guitar Boy LP and around this time we yammered with Bloodshot Bill as he had a show that evening at Call The Office.
      22. NIghtseeker….Don’t Let Go….from the 3069:Spacerock CD that arrived in the station recently.
      23. Lucy And The Rats….So Simple….from their recent self titled debut full length on Dirty Water Records.
      24. Angry Dragons….Got To Be You….from their self titled CD from 2009 and from Winnipeg.
      25. The Zellots….Let’s Play House….from the flexi of unreleased recordings from 1978.
      26. The Mongrels….Do It…..from a demo and they play Sunday at the Richmond as yet another of their Rock’n’Roll Eddie And The Hot Rods….Ignore Them….from a 1977 7” on Island Records and from the UK.
      27. Eddie and The Hot Rods….Horseplay….from a 1976 7” on Island Records.
      28. Hit Bargain…..Untying A Knot…..from their recent Potential Maximizer release that showed up at the station, and from LA.

Big Thanx to Bloodshot Bill for taking the time to  yammer with us live on the radio! And Thanx for all the crazy phone calls, emails, FB messages and Heys!!!

Next week we’re doing a special on the beginnings of the punk rock/new wave scene here in London Ontario. We’ll be playing some snippets of a few of the live shows that helped get things going and probably some records from that era as well!

• June 9, 2018 3:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist June 8/2018. Beginnings of Punk/New Wave in London Ontario

This is a special on the origins, causes and beginning of the punk/new wave music/art scene here in London Ontario. I wasn’t there for all of it, and haven’t run across anyone who has as there were so many somewhat inclusive events that you had to be in the know, to know about…so here’s my 2 cents.

1. Nihilist Spasm Band….This Is A Test….from a CD whose title is symbols. There’s no doubt that the NSB were the originators here, as they started playing at the York Hotel, now called Call The Office. They had a weekly residence that probably brought more complaints than compliments as these artists made their own instruments, played to their own beat and did just want they wanted. The originators of what was to be called Noise and they count amongst their admirers/fans Sonic Youth who have actually guested with the band.
      2. Roxy Music…..Editions Of You…..from their second LP and they played London Arena 2/8/1975 and many who were to become involved in the punk/new wave scene were in attendance. Only thing missing was Brian Eno, as he had left the band prior to this gig and many were disappointed by this.
      3. Rough Trade….Birds Of A Feather….from the 1976 Direct To Disc LP that Jack Richardson produced. RT made an appearance or 2 in London, long before they had their early 80’s Canadian hits and were a musical theatre troupe who were into bondage, S&M and many other so called perversions and eager to display this on the stage!
      4. Nihilist Spasm Band….Stop and Think Shitheads…..yet another ‘song’ from NSB and the same release as above.
      5. The Diodes…..Nothing Can Change The Shape Of Things To Come….from the Time/Damage Live 1978 LP and recorded at the El Mocambo Tavern In Toronto. Oddly, the same week a band called The Rolling Stones played the same venue! The Diodes were the first punk band to play London, May 1977 at Niederman’s loft in downtown London. This was also the very first gig here in which an 8.5 x 11 poster was made and put up around town. The police put a stop to that, the postering that is, but the gig went on for about 30 or so people. It was a deal made between Ralph Alfonso, manager of the Diodes and Mike Niederman, as Mike had published some of Ralph’s poetry and writing via Applegarth Follies. And part of the deal was to get a rehearsal spot in the basement of the Liberal Headquarters in Toronto, and turn this space into a club. The club became the Crash’n’Burn Club, the first punk club in Canada and lasted part of the summer of 1977.
      6. The Diodes….Time Damage….as above. This was the oldest Diodes live recording that I could find in my collection.
      7. Eddie And The Hot Rods…..Ignore Them….recorded live at Fryfogles, downtown London Ontario 11/7/1977 as the Rods did a few nights here. The very first of the UK punk/new wave (the band were actually pub rock or protopunk, but the press called them punk) combo to play here in London, and the proper folks were all in attendance. Some band called Red Rider opened up for the Rods.
      8. Eddie and The Hot Rods….The End…. As above. Poor sound quality, but what do you expect from a 40 year old cassette?
      9. The Curse…..Eat Me…..from a live recording at Forest City Gallery here in London, 11/25/1977 put on by artist Gerard Pas. The Ugly were supposed to play as well, but claimed transportation issues and never made it to the gig. Food was tossed, alcohol was consumed, insults flew both ways and everyone had fun. FCG continues to this day to have to occasional live music show, although they have moved several times since.
      10. The Curse….He’s My Boy….from the Teenage Meat CD on OPM Records, and recorded at the above show…this is the only track on the CD from the above show.
      11. Peter Tangredi….Life Is A Crazy Passion….from the Demics Covers CD and the summation of what it was like here in London (and many other places here in North America) back in 1977. Peter was in Crash 80’s, Idiot Savant, Suffer Machine and more.
      12. The Demics….Heart Of The City….from a live recording at the Blue Boot 1978.
      13. The Demics….Mystery Dance….as above.
      14. The Demics….New Rose….as above. When The Demics first started, they did lots of covers, many of them of 60’s garage bands….ie Music Machine, Electric Prunes, Love and more. And the Blue Boot became the Cedar Lounge in the summer of 1978, London’s exclusive punk/new wave club. We’ll be doing a full show special on this venue to mark the 40th anniversary this summer.
      15. Uranus….Route 66….from a live recording on CFNY out of Toronto. The first new wave/alternative/whatever radio station in this part of the country.
      16. Uranus….Cruisin’… as above.
      17. Uranus….Motorbikin’…. as above. Uranus were the band of choice of the bikers around here and they did this song just for them! Uranus were also the first rock’n’roll band to play the Blue Boot, and eventually got The Demics in there and started the whole mess rollin’.
      18. The Perks….McPig….from their only 7” from 1978 on the Awes Label. Awes was a downtown recording studio and also a short lived record label.
      19. The Perks… Escape…as above. The Perks were a highschool project, recorded this and broke up.
      20. Uranus…..53 Buick….from their first self released EP, and recorded at Awes Studio.
      21. Uranus….Tommy Get Your Gun…. as above.
      22. The Demics….Cowboys Are Fags….from the NYC CD on OPM label and recorded at Awes Studio.
      23. The Demics….Factories…. as above.
      24. The Demics….Oh Well….as above. The Demics released their first EP on Ready Records out of Toronto in 1979, the Awes recordings are from 1978.
      25. The Regulators….Brainless Wonder….recorded live at the Polish Hall in 1979. The Regulators released one 7” and the Polish Hall was the site of many all ages gigs here in town.
      26. The Stoves….Can’t Slow Down….recorded live at the Cedar in 1979.
      27. NFG….Cowboy Rock….from a live recording, probably 1979 and maybe at the York Hotel.
      28. NFG….Hyjack Victim….as above. NFG became 63 Monroe, then First Date for a short time, and then back to 63 Monroe and still play to this day.
      29. The Zellots….Holocaust…..from a live recording at the Kent Hotel in Kitchener and broadcast over the airwaves of CHRW by DJ Simon Less. Simon’s real name is Peter Moore, and he recorded loads of local bands and broadcast some of these shows over the airwaves of CHRW. He went on to win a Grammy a year or so back, for his work restoring some Dylan recordings.
      30. The Zellots….Object….as above. The Zellots story is told in an issue of Mongrel Zine out of Vancouver, and they were the local band that coulda and shoulda, but somehow didn’t!

Thanx for all the phone calls, texts, emails, FB messages and Heys on this show as it was a load of fun putting it together and playing these tunes that mean so much to me! We might just play a few more tunes from that era next week!

There could be an archived show here:

• June 23, 2018 9:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist June 22/2018

We dedicated this one to Nick Knox, longtime Cramp drummer and a purveyor of many excellent beats! The Cramps will always be special to me. Upon first hearing their second release, Psychedelic Jungle, my mind was blown wide open as they were treading similar ground to what I was really digging….that being 60’s garagepunk/psych! And that fueled my non-ending obsession, looking for those wild, crazy and obscure sounds that lurked below the surface! Thanx to The Cramps I bought and continue to buy way too many records that conceal these required sounds. Thanx Nick, Lux, Kid (and of course Bryan) and lastly Ivy!

1. 5 Years Ahead Of My Time…The Cramps....from the How To Make A Monster double CD of Cramps coolness. Still remember the first time I heard The Cramps do this one, on the bootleg The Cramps Totally Destroy Seattle! Had no idea it was in their songbook and had only heard the Third Bardo’s version prior.  And this song certainly summarizes The Cramps and their goals!
      2. Long Day Jouney….Curio Shoppe…from The Count Bonniwell Electric CD and these guys are certainly Cramps fans!!
      3. Shoobies….All My Profs Are On Strike….from a recent download and these guys are from right here in London Ontario!
      4. Burning Peppermints…..I Wanna Go Home….from the Glitter Vomit release and from Birmingham Alabama.
      5. Marc Ribot….Rawhide….from the recent Y R U Still Here release we have at the station.
      6. Martin and The E Chords….Possibilities….from a demo our pal Gary Pig Gold sent us many years ago. Punk taken to its primitive basics.
      7. Jim Ashby….Speed City….7” on Speed City Records and the story of our little town back in the late 60’s/early 70’s. My fave record to come out of this town.
      8. Crash 80’s….Waiting For The Heat….from a 1980 7” from right here in town. Ties in with the recent blog I posted about The Beginnings of Punk In London Ontario….it’s a 3 parter on Blogger and there’s links on the Radio WW FB page. And oddly, lead singer Peter Tangredi just commented on the blog pointing out a missing step….ie The New York Dolls playing here in London Ontario….Thanx Peter!
      9. Lithics….Dancing Guy….from the recent Mating Surfaces release here at the station. Modern post punk outta Portland Oregon.
      10. Julia P…..Killer Chicks….from  yet another recent addition to the CHRW library and a re-ish of an early 2000 release and from Holland.
      11. Archie and The Bunkers…..Bill’s Bad Day….from the recent Songs From The Lodge release and these 2 teenage brothers are from Cleveland. Didn’t know this till recently, but Nick Knox had been helping these kids out a bit! Kinda makes sense now!
      12. Archie and the Bunkers….You’re My Pacemaker….as above. There’s a video on youtube for this one.
      13. The Cramps….The Way I Walk…..from The Cramps boxset of singles on Munster Records out of Spain. It’s a 10 7” box set, picture sleeves, postcards and pristine sound!
      14. The Cramps….Domino…. as above.
      15. The Mods….Step Out Tonight….from the brand new Reactions LP on Ugly Pop Records. Limited edition, already sold out and the very first time The Mods have had a full length 12” record!  The Mods were based out of Toronto Canada, late 70’s/early 80’s mod/punk/powerpop and made a couple of appearances here in London at The Cedar Lounge. Drummer David remembered those shows well and gave me some further info about their visits here a number of years back. This particular song was one of my faves from Toronto combos of that era!
      16. The Mods….You Use Me… as above.
      17. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants….Only Game In Town….from the recent Half Wits LP and they are playing tonight at the Richmond.
      18. BB Guns….Bang Bang….live recording from CIUT and Moondawg Ballroom from early 2013.
      19. Catl….Gotta Thing For You….from the Soon This Will All Be Gone release from a few years back. Catl have a new release that hasn’t been released in Canada yet.
      20. Bloody Diamonds….Lady Of The Night….from They’ve Got Secrets from 2012 and from Halifax. Around the time this was released, we did a live to air with Bloody Diamonds when they were in town for a show. Think that is still up on soundcloud.
      21. Buttertones….At The Dojo…from the Midnight IN A Moonless Dream release that arrived recently at the station. From LA.
      22. Subsonics….Johnny Left Hand….from the Flesh Colored Paint release on Slovenly Records and another recent addition here.
      23. Newport Electric….Dancing To The Beat Of Your Broken Heart….from the brand new Thin Wild Mercury release, and NE had their release party at Aeolian Hall on the day this show aired.
      24. Les Sympathics De Porto Novo….A Min We Vo Nou We….from the recent African Scream Contest Volume 2 that arrived here at CHRW. This is a compilation CD on the Analog Africa imprint, that has released a TON of cool stuff.
      25. Picoby Band D’Abomey…..Me Adomina….as above.
      26. Pat Thomas Introduces Marijata….Salvation….from the recent Mr Bongo re-ish of this 1976 classic. Yet another recent addition here at CHRW. From what I understand, Pat Thomas spent some time in Toronto after this, possibly doing something with the soul/reggae scene there, as some of the material on this release is similar sonically to what came out in Toronto not long after this…
      27. Dustbin Flowers….Plasticine Nicotine….from their II CD and they are playing Fitzrays tonight.
      28. Vypers….Mr Girl…from the recent Champion 100 release and from Toronto.
      29. The Hippies….Je Cherche….from the Animals Fight Back cassette from about 1984 and was all London Ontario based combos of the day. The Hippies released a 7” around this time.
      30. Gilbert Smith….Talking 1980…..as above, but Gilbert was in combos like Sheep Look Up and The Zellots back then.
      31. The Cramps….Don’t Eat Stuff Off The Sidewalk….from the Psychedelic Jungle Lp from 1981. Every day I tell Joey, our pooch this, and he never listens.
      32. The Cramps….Can’t Find My Mind….as above, but I don’t tell Joey this as he already knows.
      33. The Cramps….Jungle Hop….as above.

Thanx for all the phoners, emails, texts and FB messages!!!

Next week it’s an all Canadian show as we start the long weekend off waving the red maple leaf!!

Soon to be archived at this link:

• June 29, 2018 7:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist June 29/2018  All Canada Edition

1. Lee Harvey Osmond…..Love Everyone….from the Folk Sinner CD. Tom Wilson’s psych/folk project.
      2. Art Bergmann…The Junkie Don’t Care….from the Crawl With Me CD from 1988, produced by John Cale.
      3. Kensington Hillbillies….White Man In Hammersmith Palais….from The Crooked Beat CD from 2012 and features former Londoner Peter Lambert on the drums.
      4. Bradley Boy….Old 59….from the Salt Gun CD from 2011 and from Oshawa.
      5. Sugar Brown….What I Know…from his latest, Calling All Blues and from Toronto.
      6. Delta Stone…..Ain’t Got The Blues….from their 2 song CD and they are playing tonight at the Eastside.
      7. Osterberg….London Eats Its Own….from the 10” from 1993 and this song still rings true today.
      8. Flying Squad….I’m So Cool….from the Come and Play cassette from the mid 80’s and this one is about a CHRW DJ.
      9. 63 Monroe….At The Boot….from Slippery’s Club Hits, the cassette that came with WW#24. This song is about the Blue Boot/Cedar Lounge, about which we’ll be doing a radio special in a month or so.
      10. Randall Pee Coltrane…..Let Your Freak Flag Fly…..from the recent Atomic Love Burrito and Randall Pee played The Cedar Lounge many years ago with The Verge.
      11. Jerry Jerry…..Talk About My Dick….from The Sound and The Jerry CD from 1997 and from Edmonton. This is the same Jerry Jerry and the Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra from the mid 80’s.
      12. Matadors…..Pink Lincoln….from The Devil’s Music CD and from London Ontario.
      13. Maow….Wank….from the CD,  The Unforgiving Sounds Of…. from 1996 and Neko Case was in this band.
      14. The Gorgons…..Girl Gang….from the Corpse Whale CD on Transistor 66 Records and from Winnipeg.
      15. Miesha And The Spanks…..MMMMade For Me….from the CD of the same name and also on T66 Records. We had Miesha as a guest about a year ago here on Radio WW.
      16. Nash The Slash…..19th Nervous Breakdown…..from the Children Of The Night LP from 1981. Nash played as part of DOA a few years back and that was the last time we got to see him.
      17. Dany Laj and The Looks….Left Right To One….from the soon to be released 7” and they were at Call The Office a month or so ago.
      18. The Connexions…..Ridin’ On The Streetcar….form their Connect Four CD and from Newfoundland.
      19. Flashing Lights….High School….from the Where The Change Is CD from 1999. Singer Matt Murphy is in The Tuns, a super powerpop band with a Sloan and an Inbred.
      20. Coaching For Sara…..Show…..from their latest and from right here in London Ontario.
      21. Krista D……Run Jane Run….from the recent Look At Me I’m CD.
      22. Occasional Angels…..I Won’t Cry….from the recent Angels In Exile CD and from Ottawa.
      23. Jr Gone Wild…..God Is Not My Father…..from the Pull The Goalie CD from 1992 and these guys have gotten back together for a short tour across Canada.
      24. Harold Nix…..Tomorrow’s Another Day….from the Open Up The Sky CD from 1997 and from Vancouver.
      25. The Mods….Reaction….from the brand new Reaction LP on Ugly Pop Records. Late 70’s/early 80’s mod/powerpop/punk out of Toronto and they played here at The Cedar Lounge.
      26. Bon….Zig Zag….from the Static Electricity CD from 2011 on Boppa Do Down Records.
      27. Holy Microphone….Beatle Bob….from the Goodbye Television Girl CD and from Toronto. One Fried Robinson could be playing guitar on this song about a legend out of St Louis. London has its own dancer in the Cowboy. If the Cowboy is at the same show as you, you’re at the place to be.
      28. High Dials…..TV Mystic….from the A New Devotion CD from 2003 and from Montreal.
      29. 905s….What Are We Receiving….from the Shake Down CD from 2015 and from Brampton Ontario.
      30. The Del-Gators…Dynamite….from the Pound Down CD from 2001 and from Montreal.
      31. American Flamewhip……Ace Of Cups…..from the Activate CD and from Winnipeg and 2008 and we had to fade this one out.

Big Thanx for the phone calls, emails, FB messages, texts and Heys!!! Next week we do a special on Call The Office, which has a GOFUNDME page set up. But as head Tony says, the best way to support CTO is to come down and have a couple of beers and watch a great band!!

Someday there may be an archived show at this location:

http://www.radiowestern.ca/index.php/program/radio-what-wave

• July 15, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist July 13/2018

1. Twin Fin…..Jungle Room….from the Whiskey Wine and Venom CD and they are playing Saturday night at the Legion on Oakland Ave…early show, 3 sets!!
      2. Roger Zuraw…..Keep Your Mouth Shut….from a single and a timely reminder as the times are changing way faster than ever! And a request!
      3. Crass….Berkertrex Bribe….from the Penis Envy LP from 1981.
      4. Steve Earle…..Devil’s Right Hand….from the Copperhead Road CD from 1988 and Steve comes back to London Music Hall in September.
      5. DOA….Liar For Hire….from the War On 45 LP from 1982.
      6. 16 Eyes….Ride….from the brand new Look CD and from Pheonix. Orin Portnoy, vet of the early 80’s NYC scene is in this band.
      7. Brad Marino….On The Brink….from a new 7” on Beluga Records from Sweden and a solo effort from this Connection member.
      8. The Darts…Bullet….new 7” on Dirty Water Records out of the UK, but this all female combo is from the west coast of the US.
      9. Running From Daylight….Mary Jane….from the Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet CD and they are playing tonight at the Richmond here in London.
      10. Legendary Tigerman….Misfit….brand new on the Dirty Water label and from Portugal. This is the start of our biker set as Friday the 13th the bikers from this area all head down to Port Dover.
      11. The Ventures….Theme From Wild Angels….from their Guitar Freakout LP from 1967 and one of the first LP’s, if not the first I ever bought….50 years ago!
      12. The Gruesomes…Bikers From Hell….from the Gruesomology CD on Sundazed. The Gruesomes were the only 80’s garage band from Canada to have a release on Sundazed! And now,  all of their recordings are available on Ricochet Sound based in Montreal.
      13. Leather Boy…..I’m A Leather Boy….from Pebbles Volume 11 and a 60’s garage punk scorcher!
      14. UIC….Leave Me Alone….from Mr Garager’s Neighbourhood LP from 1989 and a request! Great way to end a biker set as guitarist Ted was a Harley rider.
      15. Super Elcados….Tambourine Party…..from a re-release of the 1966 Super Elcados Volume 2 LP from Nigeria.
      16. Lucky 7….Lucky 7….from a live recording 2/23/1989 at Call The Office. A carry over from last week’s edition and on accordion and keyboards was Kenny Margolis…former Mink Deville member, noted session man and former long time member of Cracker.
      17. Florida Razors….Memphis Connection…from the Beat Music CD and features Tom Wilson, who is coming to London next weekend as part of the Home County Festival in Victoria Park.
      18. The Shakers….Jump In My Car….from the In Time LP from 1981 and features Dave Rave on guitar and vocals. There’s a reunion set for next weekend at This Ain’t Hollywood in Hamilton to celebrate Gene Champagne’s Labatt Birthday!!
      19. 3 O’Clock Train….Stolen Thunder….from the Moon CD and 3 O’Clock Train will be in London on Saturday July 28th as part of Ribfest happening in Victoria Park. This will be a full band affair and the first time for a full band in London in many years! We’ve had 3 O’Clock head honcho Mack MacKenzie live on air a couple of times in the past couple of years.
      20. Harold Nix….Jimmy….from the Open Up The Sky CD from 1997 and from the west coast of Canada.
      21. Frankie And Jimmy…..You Was Born To Die…from the recent Blues On The Brain CD and from Hamilton.
      22. Lowdown Dirty Mojos…..Blow Wind Blow….brand new and from a coupla characters outta Hamilton, Stephen Foster and former Londoner Paul Wooten (Sinners, Spiral Scratch, Crawling Kingsnakes and others).
      23. Certain General….Bedpan….1981 demos that is part of the download with their latest 7” release. From NYC and had Londoner Marcy Saddy on the drums.
      24. Priors….Story Blind….from their self titled release and they are playing Call The Office on Saturday night.
      25. Shoobies…..Monkey Eat Sandwich….from their recent download and from London.
      26. Hit Bargain….Architect….from the Potential Maximizer release and from LA.
      27. Lucy and the Rats….Can’t Surf….from their full length on Dirty Water Records out of the UK.
      28. Knaves….Fashion Police….from their self titled release from 2007 and from London Ontario.
      29. The Job….Gun….from their self titled release from 2008 and from Toronto with a member from London.
      30. Invasions……Jewel….from a demo they gave us back in 2008 and from Toronto.
      31. Pretty Things….Cry To Me….from their 2nd LP, Get The Picture? From about 1966.
      32. The Small Faces….E Too D….from a Greatest Hits CD and from 1966.
      33. DT’s….Wrap It Up…..from a 7” from 2006
      34. DT’s…..Wet Cake Part 2….from a 7” from 2006.

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages with information (Thanx Atomic Love Burrito Randall Riviera), texts and Heys!!!

Soon for archived shows at this link:

• August 18, 2018 4:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist August 17/2018

1. The Thing From Outer Space….Mai Tai…..recent demo from this London Ontario based guitar instro combo.
      2. Fryd Chikin…..I Want Your Head….from the brand new release on Dirty Water Records. One man band from the UK, not to be confused with a similar, but slightly different spelling, one man band from the US South. Probable homage to the original one man psycho combo, Hasil Adkins.
      3. Tissues….Red Light….from the west coast and another new release here at CHRW.
      4. White Lung…Two Seen….from the 2010 release, It’s The Evil and from Vancouver.
      5. Simply Saucer….Nazi Apocalypse….from the Cyborgs Revisited LP from 1989 and originally recorded back in 1975. Simply Saucer’s former manager Rick Bissell passed away earlier this week and this goes out to him. Rick was responsible for getting the band into the Lanois home studio and getting these legendary recordings done. This was Bob and Dan Lanois long before they became world famous and at this point were still working in the family home.
      6. Simply Saucer….Low Profile….as above and my theme song.
      7. Joe Klassen….In My Town….from the Songs From The Gallows CD from a few years back. Joe was singer, guitar strangler in Lonesome Ghost, local 2 piece that played live on Radio WW and were the only local combo to appear on the legendary Garage Punk Hideout CD compilation series.
      8. Low Down Dirty Mojos….Blow Wind Blow….from their first demo and from Hamilton Ontario and feature former Londoner Paul Wooten (Sinners, Spiral Scratch, Crawling Kingsnakes etc).
      9. Tomas Nicolson….I’m Too Tired To Sleep…..from a recent 7” on Beluga Records out of Sweden.
      10. Aretha Franklin…..I Never Loved A Man…..from the Rhino/Atlantic double CD compilation of demos and outtakes. This particular recording was part of a demo that Atetha’s then husband sent to Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records in an attempt to get Aretha signed to Atlantic. And it was successful!!!
      11. Aretha Franklin….Dr Feelgood….. as above.
      12. Aretha Franklin…..Chain Of Fools…from the Lady Soul LP on Atlantic Records from 1968.
      13. Aretha Franklin…..Money Won’t Change You… as above. RIP to Aretha.
      14. Twin Fin….City Of Sin….from the Whiskey Wine and Venom Love release and they are playing this afternoon at the Richmond Hotel here in London.
      15. Peter and the Wolves…..Hey Hey Veronica….from the Papa’s Goin’ Out Of Town CD. They will be doing a live to air on Friday August 31st on Radio What Wave and then playing later that evening at the Richmond Hotel here in London. If last visit is any indication, this is a band you DON’T want to miss!! There’s gonna be Cowboy’s galore at this show!!
      16. Jamie James….Night Rockin’….from his 1985 LP. The Big One on Quality Records. Jamie went to school right here in London Ontario and got his musical start here. He was also in the Kingbees, who actually got to play on American Bandstand!
      17. The Legendary Tigerman…..Holy Muse….from the recent Misfit release on Dirty Water Records. This cat is from Portugal and has shifted his musical direction from the blues to this jazz/retro/soul/psycho/beat noire kinda sound that really kicks in after a listen or two.
      18. Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis….Round Too Long….from the brand new Wild Wild Wild release on Bloodshot Records. Linda Gail is the younger sister of The Killer, and obviously listened to big brother pounding the 88’s! This is friggin demonic stuff and The Killer made his last appearance here in London 31 years ago on Thursday….connection? Maybe.
      19. Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis…..Boogie Woogie Country Gal….as above and again, demonic stuff!!
      20. The Blasters….Marie Marie….from the first Blasters LP from 1981 and goes out to Twin Fin as they played this last time we saw them live and I ended up doing the cowboy!
      21. Positively Stompin’…..Nashville Dreamin’…..from their Junk Drawer CD from 1993 and feature a couple of UIC’ers….ie Murray and Ted and a Legend Killer, Chris. UIC have a show opening up for Wayne Kramers MC50 next month in Toronto.
      22. DOA…..Communication Breakdown….from a 7” that came with a DOA compilation bootleg…this goes out to original bass player and high flying acrobat Randy Rampage who passed away earlier this week.
      23. DOA….Rich Bitch….from the Triumph Of The Ignoroids release from the late 70’s.
      24. DOA….Whatcha Gonna Do…..from the Something Better Change LP from about 1980.
      25. DOA….DOA….from Hardcore 81 LP. Last time we saw Randy Rampage he was back in DOA, and they were doing a tour with Nash The Slash, who joined DOA on stage for a few songs at the end of their set! Probably my fave time seeing DOA as both Nash and Randy were jumping around and now sadly, both are gone.
      26. Gun Club……She’s Like Heroin To Me….from the Fire Of Love LP from 1981 and not the song I meant to play….Danny phoned in, so hadda play the next song cause Danny Sez:
      27. Gun Club…..For The Love Of Ivy…..with the legendary line ‘All dressed up like an Elvis from Hell!!’ to commemorate the 41st anniversary of the passing of The King.
      28. Mightabins…..Back To The Factory….from the brand new Epee release from this band of misfits!
      29. Light Bulb Alley…..Bad Day….from The Sound Of Things CD on Ricochet Sound from Montreal.
      30. The Comos….Some Days Suck….from the Bandwidth CD from 2006 and from London Ontario.

Ran outta time way before we ran outta tunes.   Thanx for all the crazy phone calls, emails, FB message and Heys!!! That’s what keeps us going and sane.

Some day soon there will be archived shows at this link:

• August 24, 2018 7:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist August 24/2018

1. The Dahlmanns….Get It Right….from the brand new release on Beluga Records with The Nomads as the band. Powerpop meets guitar rock and we all win!
      2. The Dahlmanns….American Heartbeat….as above.
      3. The Nomads….The Way You Touch My Hand….from the Where The Wolf Bane Blooms , 1983, Closer Records and a fave from the moment I bought this one! The guitars just seer on this one and The Nomads version of 5 Years absolutely shreds!!
      4. Tiger Bomb….Baby Come On….from a soon to be released record on Dionysus Records. This is Chris Horne, guitar shredder and howler outta the long running all girl combo, The Brood. Based in Portland, the legendary Brood actually made it into London one night many years ago. The extent of the advertising was a hand written poster on the doors of CTO. Missed that one and didn’t find out about it till somewhat later.
      5. Dany Laj and the Looks…. Left Right To One….from a soon to be released 7” and these kids are coming to CTO on Saturday September 7th, opening for Teenage Head. You’ve been warned!
      6. Peter and the Wolves….Vera….from the Papa’s Goin’ Out Of Town CD from last year. These guys are coming to the Richmond on Friday August 31st, and next week we’ve got a live to air scheduled with the band! Not to be missed after last year’s absolute Killer show!
      7. Delta Stone and the War Dogs….Ain’t Got The Blues….from a recent release and these guys are playing the bluesfest here in London this weekend.
      8. Thundermug….Big City….from the 1974 Ta Daaa LP and guitarist Bill Durst will be playing live at the bluesfest.
      9. Foghat…..Mean Woman Blues….from the Before Foghat LP of 1969 recordings in which the band plays rockabilly and rock’n’roll tunes for their own enjoyment (actually for mine too!). They are also at the bluesfest, highly doubt they’ll sound like this.
      10. Blue Oyster Cult….Summer Of Love….from the 1976 Agents Of Fortune and they are also at bluesfest.
      11. Frankie and Jimmy…..Lil Red Riding Hood….from the recent Blues On The Brain CD and they are not playing at the bluesfest. Just saw a brand new video of this song with puppets and lots of cool effects that’ll get you laughing….
      12. The Ramones….Danny Says…..from the 1980 End Of The Century LP and it was right around the release of this one, The Ramones made their first appearance here in London, at Centennial Hall with The Demics opening.
      13. Talking Heads….Psycho Killer….from the Talking Heads 77 LP and goes out to Danny who requested this on.
      14. The Mods….Step Out Tonight….from the recent Reactions LP on Ugly Pop Records. Late 70’s/early 80’s recordings from this Toronto based combo. They played The Cedar once as The Mods, then later on under the name The News….same band, but they felt Mods was a name used by too many other combos.
      15. The Kards….Pipeline….from the Here’s The Deal CD from a few year ago, and The Kards are playing in Woodstock tomorrow.
      16. Randall Pee Coltrane…..Let Your Freak Flag Fly….from the recent Atomic Love Burrito CD and goes out to The Cowboy.
      17. Marcellus Wallace….Movin’ On Up….from their self titled CD from a couple years back.
      18. K Man and the 45’s…..Piece Of The Action….from their self titled release and a new arrival here at CHRW….Montreal based combo who were in town a few months back.
      19. Copper Crown…..Child’s Play….from the recent Walk With Fire release and they were at the Richmond a few weeks back.
      20. Legendary Tigerman…..Fix Of Rock’n’Roll…..from the recent Misfit release on Dirty Water Records and from Portugal.
      21. Jesse James Medicine Show…..I Just Lost My Mind…..new demo from this Hamilton based 2 piece who will be in London near the end of October….details closer to the time.
      22. Archie and the Bunkers…..Roaring 20’s…from the recent Songs From The Lodge CD and from Cleveland….2 teenage brothers who make a lot of noise!
      23. Sound Explosion…..Cause You Lie….from The Explosive Sounds Of… CD on Lost In Tyme Records out of Greece.
      24. Lucy and the Rats…..So Simple….from their recent self titled debut CD on Dirty Water Records and from the UK.
      25. Beasts Of Bourbon……Drop Out…..from the Axemans’s Jazz LP from 1985 and goes out to Spencer P Jones who passed away earlier this week. Spencer was a guitar player and song writer for this Australian combo. He played in many other fine bands, but this was probably not only the most influential, but the one he’s most associated with. Crampsian blues scronch songs about death and all things not so nice.
      26. The Johnnys…..Edge Of Death….from the 1986 Highlights Of A Dangerous Life and this one actually came out in Canada on Enigma Records….another Spencer P Jones combo.
      27. Beasts Of Bourbon….Save Me A Place….from the Axemans’s Jazz LP as above. RIP Spencer.
      28. Samantha Fish…..He Did It….from the Chills And Fever CD from last year. This one features some of the Detroit Cobras backing Samantha’s red hot guitar.
      29. The Reply….I’m A Man….live recording from the long gone Brennan’s here in London 11/5/2011. The Reply were based in Toronto, but had long time London resident James Bond on keys and sometimes vocals. A great rockin’ soul combo who should have gone on to bigger and better things! So glad I got to see them a few times over the years.
      30. Johnny And The Canadians….Say Yeah…..1965 single from London Ontario and this was played from one of those Wyld Canada compilation CD’s.
      31. Ray Charles….I Don’t Need No Doctor….from a Greatest Hits compilation and we had to fade this one out…….

Big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, messages, texts and Heys!!!! That’s what fuels the fire here at Radio What Wave!!

Next week we’ve got a live to air with Peter and the Wolves, an amazing rockabilly/rock’n’roll combo from Calgary. Later in the eve, they play at the Richmond Hotel.

There might be an archived show at this link soon:

• September 8, 2018 11:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist September 7th/2018

1. Teenage Head…..Top Down….the 1978 version from the 7” with the background Beach Boy harmony vocals.
      2. Teenage Head….Let’s Shake….from the Fun Comes Fast CD and right around here Teenage Head vocalist Dave Rave called in right before a sound check to tell us all about what’s happening TH wise and plug the big show at Call The Office on Saturday night!! This guy never stops and this will only be their second time in London in many years!! Dany Laj and the Looks and TVD are the openers.
      3. Teenage Head….Picture My Face….as above.
      4. Peter and the Wolves…..Dance All Night….from the brand new Howlin’ and Prowlin’ CD. These guys hit the Richmond last Friday night, and proceeded to put on one of the best rock’n’roll shows we’ve seen in quite some time!! 3 super long sets that had the crowd up and dancing…even this old fart got up and did the shuffle!! Fun times and we hope to get them back again next year!
      5. PJ Soles….Rock’n’Roll Highschool….from the soundtrack LP of the same name and it’s that time of year again!
      6. Nikki and the Corvettes….Summer Time Fun….from the self titled LP on BOMP from 1980. Nikki is still active and is big in Japan and Europe where music like hers is loved!
      7. Uranus….Back To School Days….live recording from Call The Office 10/27/12 from our Graphic Underground show.
      8. Uranus….Highschool….live recording from the Embassy Hotel 3/22/1982 and aired over CHRW back then.
      9. The Ramones….Rock’n’Roll Highschool…..from the soundtrack LP of the same name.
      10. Coaching For Sara…..She Comes In Waves….from a live recording last November here at Radio WW. CFS have their last show coming up at the Richmond on 9/22. We’ll have vocalist/guitar player Shane in to talk about the show on 9/22 edition.
      11. Javier Escovedo….Don’t Tell Me Lies…..from a demo Javier sent to us last week. Former member of The Zeros, the so called Mexican Ramones from the late 70’s.
      12. The Zeros….Wimp….from the Don’t Push Me Around LP from 1991 on Bomp Records.
      13. The Heck….For Crying Out Loud…..brand new 7” on Dirty Water Records out of the UK and some more fine powerpop.
      14. Gogo Loco…..Go Go Twist….sent to us by the band and you might recognize some sounds from former bands The Mobbs and Dynamite Pussy Club. More UK based fun stuff!
      15. Steve Earle….Time Has Come Today….from the Sidetracks CD and Steve will be in town on Sunday at the London Music Hall.
      16. Steve Earle…..Back To The Wall….from the Copperhead Road LP from 1988.
      17. Low Down Dirty Mojos…..Blow Wind Blow….from their recent demo and features former Londoner Paul Wooten on guitar/vocals.
      18. Barstool Prophets…..Force Fed…..from the recent Grazie Governo release that arrived at the station. Really dig the background keyboard sounds on this release.
      19. TVD….I’d Kiss You Honey But You’re Standing On My Bottom Lip….from the Salvation Through Distraction CD and these guys are opening up for Teenage Head on Saturday night. These guys are veterans of the local scene….ie 63 Monroe, the Terminals, Generics etc….
      20. Long Day Journey….The Creeper….from the brand new Killed By Death CD from this Hamilton combo.
      21. Dany Laj and the Looks…..Left Right To One….from the soon to be released 7” and they are also opening up for Teenage Head on Saturday night.
      22. Dany Laj and the Looks….Sweet Pretender…from the Alive and Kicking release from last year.
      23. Dahlmanns…..American Heartbeat….from the brand new release on Beluga Records with The Nomads as the band!
      24. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds….Lay Me Low….from the Let Love In CD from 1994 and goes out to long time piano player Conway Savage who passed away earlier this week.
      25. Pack AD….Sirens….from the Unpersons LP from 2011 and Pack AD visit London 9/18 at Call The Office.

Out of time but certainly not out of tunes. Big Thanx to Dave Rave for making the time to talk with us today, about tomorrow’s big Teenage Head show at Call The Office.

Next week we’ll play some unreleased Demics tunes as next Friday is Talk’s Still Cheap, 40 Years Later at Call The Office, a tribute to The Demics and a 40th anniversary type party with bands covering Demics tunes.

Also, we’re almost finished setting up the Cedar Lounge display/exhibit at London Music Hall Of Fame….drop on by some Saturday between noon and 5PM for a visit.

Some day soon there will be an archived show here:

• September 23, 2018 8:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave September 21/2018 Playlist

Before we start the playlist, have to mention that $741 was raised for My Sister’s Place at the Demics Reunion/tribute show last Friday that was put on by Nick Perry!!! Great turnout, lots of fun bands, lots of old yet familiar faces and a great time was had by all….and money raised for a great cause!!

And Huge Thanx to all that came out to the London Music Hall Of Fame on the weekend for our Doors Open!! We had over 850 people through the doors!!! There was loads of amazing local talent on the stage, and even out in the street stopping traffic and passersby!  And lots of familiar faces were on hand to check out the Cedar Lounge display in our Rolex Room!! Pics are on the Cedar Lounge FB page of some of the veterans of that scene that came by! And if you didn’t get a chance to drop by, we’re open every Saturday from noon till 5PM, 182 Dundas St…in the heart of the city!

1. Frank Ridsdale…..All You Fascists….from the Bread and Roses CD that Frank released a couple years back. Frank was one of the many local entertainers on our stage at the Museum on the weekend. First time I’d seen Frank on keys since the early days of Uranus….ie about 1979!
      2. The Rizdales….Here I Go….from the Radio Country CD from 2007 and vocalist/guitarist Tom Dunphy has his Classic Country show happening at the Richmond on Saturday around 4PM.
      3. Dustbin Flowers….Take Me On…from the brand new Made To Last release and from right here in London Ontario.
      4. Mark Sultan….Coffin Nails….from his brand new Wasting Away release and a little more poppier than what we usually get from this guy. Originally from Montreal, now based out of Germany.
      5. Catl….Resistance Place….from This Shakin’ House LP and they are in town next Saturday at Call The Office…..they always put on a great show and have a brand new LP just being released here in Canada, but out in Europe where they’ve been spending more and more time.
      6. Frankie and Jimmy….You Was Born To Die…from the recent Blues On The Brain release and they come back to London in a month or 2.
      7. Dee Rangers….It Won’t Be Long…..from the brand new All You Need Tonight release and from Sweden.
      8. Dave Rave and the Governors…..Passenger Seat….from the brand new All Night Raves CD and Dave was in town with Teenage Head a couple weeks back.
      9. Dany Laj and the Looks…..Left Right To One….from the 7” that we finally got from Dany when they were in town opening up for Teenage Head.
      10. Walter Lure….Take A Chance With Me….from the new Wacka Lacka Boom Bop A Loom Bam Boo release. Walter was a Heartbreaker along with Johnny Thunders and still has that rock’n’roll swagger from the lower depths of Manhattan.
      11. Crime….Hot Wire My Heart….from a 1976 7”  and goes out to Johnny Strike who passed away last week. Crime were the godfathers of San Fran punk and went in way different musical directions than the rest of the punk/new wave combos of the era. Crime were more of a noisy, brutal, out of tune attack on the senses, both aurally and visually. They wore police uniforms on stage and even had an early member of The Flamin’ Groovies in the band.
      12. 16 Eyes….Bad Old Days….from the recent Look release and from Phoenix. Orin Portnoy, a vet of the early 80’s NYC garage era is in this band. Hey Orin!!
      13. Lou Reed….Vicious…..from the Transformer LP from 1972.
      14. Lou Reed….NY Stars….from the Sally Can’t Dance LP from 1974 and mastered by Toronto’s George Semkiw, who recently passed away. Lou really liked George’s work on his previous release and requested him to do this. George was in Richie Knight and the Mid-Knights when they had their number 1 hit back in 1963 with Oh Charlena….There’s other Canucks on this Lou Reed records, Michael Fonfara (believe he resides in Hamilton now, and have seen him on stage at TAIH a couple of times), Prakash John and Whitey Glan….look those names up on google for way more info than you could imagine!
      15. Alabama Shakes….Hang Loose….from the Boys and Girls CD from 2012. Been playing the shit out of this CD in the car recently….just love the production and sound on this one!!
      16. The Pack AD….Snow….from the just re-mastered and re-issued Tintype LP. This was Pack AD’s first release and struck a deep one on me! We brought this duo to the Brunswick for a weeknight gig for their first ever trip to London. The bar was so impressed, they had them back a few days later! And they’ve been back dozens of times since!! They were at Call The Office Tuesday and as always put on a great show! Was talking to guitarist Becky prior to, and it looks like this could have been their last time here in quite a while. The band is burned out touring and criss crossing Canada in a van. They’ve been doing it for over 10 years now and they need a bit of a breather and want to do a bit of studio work and maybe some select gigs and festivals closer to home. All the best to these fine young ladies!
      17. Coaching For Sara….Comes In Waves….recorded live at Radio WW 11/10/17
      18. Coaching For Sara….These People….from their first CD.
      19. Coaching For Sara….Look Around…..from a live recording at Radio WW 2/10/17. About this time, vocalist Shane Sawyer called in to talk about Coaching For Sara’s show at Fitzrays tomorrow night (Saturday). This could be their last show for awhile as they are going on hiatus due to work, family and all those other essential things. Shane called from an LTC (local city bus) bus to do this interview….think that’s a first for us! No idea what the other passengers were thinking about Shane while he was yammering about Coaching For Sara….LOL
      20. Coaching For Sara….Sister Won’t ….from their first CD.
      21. Ginger St James….Salvation….from the Diesel and Peas CD from a couple years ago and from Hamilton.
      22. Bob Seger…..Eastside Story….from the brand new Heavy Music CD which collects all the Cameo singles Bob released back in the mid 60’s. Mono, remastered and sounding really punchy, these songs sound so good!!! My ears can even hear a bit of the original tape hiss on one of the tracks and that’s a good thing to my ears! If you’re a fan of Seger’s later stuff, after the old records fell off the shelf and hit him on the noggin’, then you gotta hear theses amazing early singles! This was even before Bob knew what 2 + 2 was….
      23. Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis……Boogie Woogie Country Gal….from the recent Wild Wild Wild release on Bloodshot Records. Linda Gail is the younger sister of The Killer, and you can hear some of his piano rumblings in her playing.
      24. Peter and The Wolves….Hot Foot Woman….from the recent Howlin’ and Prowlin’ CD and from Calgary. This trio was at the Richmond a couple weeks back and put on 3 sets of pure rock’n’roll sounds! So pure!!
      25. The King Bees….Sweet Sweet Girl….from their 1908 debut LP and they feature Jamie James, who went to highschool here in London Ontario.
      26. The Dropouts….. Monster Bash….from their debut CD from 2003 and from London Ontario.
      27. Evil Farm Children…Valley Justice….from their 2008 The Evilling CD. This Ottawa trio re-united for a one shot this past summer. They used to play London fairly regularly about 10 years or so ago.
      28. The Chickens…..Get It Right….from their 2000 Prepare To Plug In CD and are 80% of UIC! UIC opened up for Wayne Kramer’s MC50 the other night in Toronto and will be playing in Hamilton in late November…..
      29. The Action…..Hey Sah-Lo-Ney….from the recent re-ish of The Action’s full catalogue. The Action were a mod/soul/Motown combo from the UK that only release a few singles in their career, but were idolized by the late 70’s/early 80’s mod/soul scene. This particular track is from 1966 and is the flip side of….
      30. The Action…..I’ll Keep Holding On….as above.

Ran outta time, but certainly not tunes. Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, messages, texts and Heys!!!And Thanx for all the kind words about last week’s Demics special.

Next week, it’s a Cedar Lounge special, only bands that played at the Cedar Lounge….probably some unreleased live recordings. Here's the FB link for the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/485045465342364/

Some day, there just might be an archived show here:

• September 30, 2018 6:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist September 28/2018. Cedar Lounge Special Part 1

First part of a tribute to the Cedar Lounge, the first punk/new wave/whatever club here in London Ontario. Located at the north west corner of King and Talbot and now the home of the 3 giant concrete (ceramic or whatever) balls on the area surrounding the Budweiser Gardens. This show is comprised of the music of the bands that played there…

1. The Demics….Heart Of The City…live recording from the Cedar from 1978 and a song that to me surmises the early punk scene here in London.  And one of the first songs I ever heard The Demics play live.
      2. The Demics….New York City….recorded live at the Cedar Lounge 10/18/1978. From the cassette compilation Domestic Animals put out by Peter Moore and Gerry Collins. These guys put out this cassette without asking the band’s permission, and many were not aware they were on a cassette until they heard their songs right here on CHRW. Peter was a DJ here on CHRW and went under the name Simon Less. He’s gone on to way grander things….like winning a Grammy Award a year or so ago for his work on the Bob Dylan re-issues!! And he’s mastered literally tons of recordings since his days recording live bands in London.
      3. The Demics….Oh Well…. As above and often followed NYC during live performances by The Demics.
      4. The Regulators…Vicious….live recording from the Cedar from 1979. NYC was written about singer/guitarist and his fixation on Lou Reed and NYC….or so says the rumour.
      5. The Regulators…..What Goes On…..live recording from the Polish Hall on Ann St 11/2/1979. This was a venue that was host to several punk/new wave bashes in the early years. NFG also played on this show, the infamous last show of their guitarist Larry Gifford and possibly Simon Lewis. More on this at a future date.
      6. Regulators…..What’s In The City….as above and this song was on their only record, a 7” on Ready Records.
      7. The Scenics….Waiting For My Man….from their How Does It Feel To Be Loved CD and is a live recording from the Cabana Room in Toronto 8/20/1980. This art trio played London and St Thomas many times along with The Demics and would trade Toronto gigs with The Demics. A few years after the Cedar years, guitarist/vocalist Andy had a record store at the south east corner of Queen and Clarence….think it’s a parking lot now.
      8. The Scenics….Oh Boy…..from the In The Summer CD and the first studio recording for this edition of Radio WW.
      9. Uranus….You’re So Square…..from a live recording in Toronto from 5/1980. Uranus were the first of the non-bluegrass bands to play this venue….it may have been Ricky McLagen Revue, which had a couple members of Uranus.  When they first played, the Cedar was under its previous name, The Blue Boot. Name changed on June 15/1978 when Foreplay played.
      10. Uranus….Lonesome Train….from the You’re So Square LP from 1980. You’re So Square was a top 10 hit on AM radio in Canada in May of 1980! And Uranus toured western Canada, appeared on CBC television twice, were about to head to the Maritimes and instead broke up!
      11. Bop Cats….I Can’t Help It….from a 7” and featured Londoner Cameron Marshman on bass. Bop Cats played the Cedar many times, one New Years Eve show they were joined onstage by Diode John Catto!
      12. Hi Fis….Look What You’ve Done….from their only 7” and this band evolved into Blue Rodeo a couple years later. Only remember seeing them once at the Cedar and they were a tight powerpop combo with some early Beatles overtones.
      13. Teenage Head……Picture My Face….from a live recording at the Spoke and Rim Tavern at Western University 2/18/1981. This was broadcast over the airwaves of CHRW and I managed the tape the show on my cassette recorder. The event was for students of Western only so I wasn’t able to go….and that guitarist on this track isn’t Gordie Lewis as he was recovering from an auto accident and it’s rumoured to be Jimmy Huff.
      14. Teenage Head….Those Things You Do…. As above. Teenage Head played the Cedar many times and they would always pack the house!
      15. The Shakers….Out The Door….from a 7” and they were from Hamilton. Dave Rave was guitarist/vocalist and is now vocalist for Teenage Head and he was a guest a couple weeks back here at Radio WW.
      16. The Sinners….No Brains Required….from a 7” they released. Paul Wootton was guitarist/vocalist in this combo and went on to….
      17. Spiral Scratch…..No Familiar Faces….from a live recording at the Cedar 10/9/1981.
      18. Spiral Scratch….Gonna Rock (this might not be the proper name of this song) and as above.
      19. Crash 80’s…..Thrills…..from their only 7”.
      20. Crash 80’s…..Nowhere To Hide……from the cassette compilation Domestic Animals and a live recording from Larry’s in Toronto.
      21. Crash 80’s…..Waiting For The Heat….from the above 7”
      22. The Stoves…..Jail…..from a 1979 live recording at the Cedar Lounge.
      23. NFG…..At The Boot…..from a demo recording with Simon Lewis on guitar. The Boot referred to the Blue Boot, which was the prior name of the Cedar Lounge.
      24. 63 Monroe…..Bad Boy……from a live recording at the Cedar Lounge Easter 1981 and was supposed to be the last ever show of NFG and 63 Monroe….or billed something like that as singer Scott gave away handfuls of the old NFG buttons.
      25. NFG….Hi-Jack Victim…from a live recording at the York Hotel, date unknown.
      26. First Date…..Good In Bed….from a live recording at the Cedar 10/15/1981. This was a short lived name of 63 Monroe as they reverted back to capitalize on the release of the 63 Monroe/NFG 12” EP, part of which was recorded live at the Cedar.
      27. B Girls……B Girls…..7” on Bomp records and this all female combo had local Marcy Saddy on the drums.  A current version of this band was in Japan recently on tour.
      28. Second Thoughts….Wound Up….from a 7” and features Mark Goodwin on guitar/vocals who is still active in Montreal.
      29. The Zellots….These Boots Are Made For Walking….from a live recording at the Kent Hotel in Guelph/Kitchener??  Recorded this one from the airwaves of CHRW, probably on the Simon Less radio show.
      30. The Zellots…..Let’s Play House….from a live recording at the Cedar August 1981 for Doug and Rose’s wedding party. Also on the bill of the show were Radio 4, Spiral Scratch and the first London appearance of Certain General. CG drove all day to get to London and walked into the bar, set up and started playing! Marcy Saddy was drummer for Certain General, hence the London Ontario connection.
      31. The Zellots…..Empty Victories….from a compilation called You Only Get One Shot At The Big Time released in Japan on the Wizzard in Vinyl imprint. This was a compilation CD of 5 bands from the late 70’s/early 80’s and features a booklet with pics of The Zellots playing here in London….Fryfogles and at a Dundas St East outdoor event from August 1980.
      32. The Zellots….Blades….as above.
      33. Radio 4….Is God A Man…..demo recording from this combo that morphed into Sheep Look Up, who I just found out, never played the Cedar but were in formation mode when the Cedar closed.
      34. Radio 4….4 Years….as above.
      35. Dead Rabbits…..Roadrunner….from a live recording at the Cedar 10/9/1981 with a slight lyric change when Wanda says ‘I’m in love with the Cedar Lounge’….so perfect for this show!
      36. The Enemas….Joe Wyatt….from the Animals Fight Back cassette and were from Guelph Ontario, except for bass player Brian Lambert who went on to Nach Dem Tode and he also did the Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 Exhibit and show from 2012.

That’s the end of Part 1 of the Cedar Lounge Story, Part 2 next week. And you can see the Cedar Lounge Exhibit on right now at the London Music Hall Of Fame, 182 Dundas St….open Saturdays Noon till 5PM.

Thanx for the Tons of phone calls, texts, emails, FB messages and Heys!!!! That’s what makes it all worth while!

At some point, we might have archived shows at this link:

• October 12, 2018 7:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist October 12/2018

1. Bob Seger…Persecution Smith…from the recent  Heavy Music CD which collects the Cameo 66/67 singles onto one CD.
      2. 10 Heads….Fading Out….from the Swimming and Singing CD and 10 Heads are playing at the Richmond on Saturday night.
      3. The Screwed….Gettin’ Beat Up….from the Green Haired Girl CD from 2013 and features Steve Koch on guitar whom we talked to a couple weeks back.
      4. The Records….Starry Eyes…from the first LP from 1979 and goes out to John Wicks who passed away last week. John played guitar, sang and wrote many of The Records songs.
      5. The Records….Teen-A-Rama….from the Paying For The Summer Of Love LP on Skyclad Records and is 1978 demos.
      6. The Judys….Freedom 85….from their CD from last year and features former Londoner Pete Feend on the bass and we got to talk to Pete on the phone as he’s back in London visiting for a few days. Pete had lots to say about his current bands and some of the former venues here in London as he got his start here 45 years ago.
      7. Living Deadbeats….Lost….from their original Demo CD and is Pete on the bass. This band played London twice on a cross Canada tour back in 2012.
      8. The Finks….Can’t Say No….from a 1987 7” that again has Pete on bass and this one got lots of AM airplay here in London.
      9. Catl….Baby You All Wrong…..from the brand new Bide My Time Till I Die release.
      10. Pack AD…..This Terror….from the re-ished Tin Type LP.
      11. Westminster Park…..Come On Now….from a download demo.
      12. Fleshrag…..Revolution 69…from the brand new Inside Your Mind release and from Hamilton Ontario.
      13. Q65…. The Life I Live….from a Greatest Hits LP and this goes out to Joop  Roelofs who passed away last week. Q65 were from Holland, late 60’s/early 70’s garage/psych/blues combo who were a big influence on the mid 80’s garage punk revival scene.
      14. Q65….Cry In The Night….as above and a song The Gruesomes covered.
      15. Q65….I Despise You…. As above
      16. Q65…It Came To Me… as above.
      17. Dustbin Flowers…..I Don’t Mind….from the recent Made To Last release and coincidentally Tyler, who played bass on this track just happened to be at CHRW and popped by.
      18. Shoobies….All My Profs Are On Strike….from London and from their recent download.
      19. Long Day Journey…..The Creeper….from the recent Killed By Death CD.
      20. Go Go Loco…..Evil Woman….from a recent demo the band sent us…from the UK.

And about this time, world renowned music photographer John Rowlands called in to talk about his      big show happening Saturday at the Palace Theatre. John has taken pics of everyone from The Beatles to Elvis to Jackson 5 to The Who and his most famous photo is the David Bowie Archer pic taken at Maple Leaf Gardens. John had lots of stories of his many decades in the biz.

1. Mark Sultan….Other Two….from the recent Wasting Away release on Dirty Water Records.
      2. Jill Porter…..Easy On You…..from the self titled release from 2005 and from Newfoundland.
      3. Dave Rave and the Governors…..Everybody Happy Birthday….from the recent All Night Raves CD.
      4. The Legendary Tigerman…..Child Of Lust….from the recent Dirty Water release and from Portugal.
      5. Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis….Your Red Wagon…..from the recent Wild Wild Wild CD and on Bloodshot Records.

Thanx to Pete Feend and John Rowlands for taking the time to call in and let the listeners know what is happening. Much appreciated!!

Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, messages, texts etc….that’s what fuels us!! Next week we’ve got Michael DeeVee dropping by to talk about the recent Hiroshima Hearts changes and his big Itsafest happening next weekend.

At some point, we might have an archived show here:

• October 20, 2018 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 19/2018

1. The Subhumans…..I Got Religion….from the New Dark Age Parade CD and their last release which they toured London with. Yep, we’re gonna get political again…
      2. Hiroshima Hearts….Got Me Movin’…from their 7” that came out about a year ago. Now they’ve got a video of this one, with regular RWW listener The Cowboy dancing on it. And as we always say, if The Cowboy is at your event, then you’re at the best thing happening in these parts! And we were joined by Hiroshima Heart Michael DeeVee to talk about changes in the band and the big Itsafest 3 that Michael is putting on Saturday night at the Polish Hall on Hill St, right near Adelaide. Loads of bands including the final show of HH in their current lineup.
      3. Hiroshima Hearts….Spend Your Money….from the Bone Music CD and another tune that’s been made into a video.
      4. Forgotten Rebels….Poppies….from the self titled CD on OPM Records that came out in 1997. This particular track is a demo from 1980 featuring Chris Houston. The Rebels play Call The Office next Saturday night.
      5. Jesse James Medicine Show….I Just Lost My Mind….from a demo and this 2 piece is playing next Friday night at the Richmond, along with….
      6. Running From Daylight….Breathing Fyre….from the recent Elvis Ain’t Dead Yet CD and this one is about local sideshow/freakshow/crazy Fenyx Fyre who will also be performing on Friday at the Richmond…along with 63 Monroe.
      7. Atomic Tomb…..Satan America….sent to us by the band and they are from Toronto. Yep, it’s metal with a message and features the former drummer of Arson, who played the Cedar Lounge 40 years ago! That’s one tough drummer to be playing all those years later and with this intensity!!
      8. Catl….Superfly Girl….from their latest, Biding My Time Till I Die and they were at Call The Office a couple weeks back.
      9. Frankie and Jimmy….Shakemondown….from their latest, Blues On The Brain and they will be at the Richmond on November 3rd.
      10. Pack AD….Gold Rush….from the recently remastered and re-released Tintype LP that just came out. Once again, Pack AD were in town a few weeks back at Call The Office and alluded to they may not be coming back this way for some time. Way too many trips across Canada in a van.
      11. The Thing From Outer Space…Mai Tai…..their latest and they have an afternoon gig at the Richmond on November 10th.
      12. The Last Poets….Understand What Black Is….from their recent release of the same name. This is the same combo that started out in NYC in the late 60’s as the first Black militant rap combo.
      13. Gil Scott-Heron…..The Revolution Will Not Be Televised….from the CD of the same name and from 1970. The year may be different, but we’re going through a lot of the same shit we went through back then.
      14. Flying Squad…..Think For Yourself….from a mid 80’s demo and FS were from London Ontario. London’s only biker rock combo back then.
      15. Shark Graffitti…..Sheep Song….from a late 80’s demo from this Oshawa combo that probably played a show or few with Flying Squad. Back in the Key West days of London Ontario….
      16. Celibate Rifles…..Thank You America….from the self titled LP from 1984 on Hot Records out of Australia.
      17. The ARchies….Jingle Jangle….from a Greatest Hits CD and we move into our powerpop set.
      18. Dahlmanns….Get It Right….from a recent release with The Nomads on Beluga out of Sweden. And yes, I mean those Nomads!
      19. Tiger Bomb….Baby Come On….from an upcoming release on Dionysus Records and features former Brood Chris Horne on vocals and guitar.
      20. Blue Ash….The Boy Won’t Listen….from the Front Page News LP from 1977 on Playboy Records and they are coming to Call The Office on November 14th…. A Wednesday, so plan accordingly!
      21. The Zellots….Soldiers….from a 1981 demo and from London Ontario and played at the Cedar Lounge. Speaking of, the Cedar Lounge Exhibit is still on at the London Music Hall Of Fame, open Saturdays noon till 5PM.
      22. Mark Sultan…..Tragedy….from his recent Wasting Away release we have at the station.
      23. Dee Rangers….It Won’t Be Long….from the recent All You Need Tonight release and from Sweden.
      24. Dave Rave and the Governors…..Stick To Your Guns…from the recent All Night Raves CD and Dave was in town a few weeks back with Teenage Head.
      25. Peter and the Wolves….It Takes Time…from their Howlin’ and Prowlin’ CD and they are from Calgary. We had them on the radio a month or 2 ago, then they put on an absolutely fantastic show at the Richmond that evening!

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, messages, texts and Heys!!! That’s what makes it all worthwhile!  And big Thanx to Michael DeeVee for dropping around and yammering away about Itsafest 3 (tomorrow night) and the changes happening in Hiroshima Hearts!

One day soon, we’ll have archives:

• November 3, 2018 11:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 2nd 2018

This was our last of the fundraising shows and Big Thanx to all that contributed during the show and at the London Record Show on Sunday!! Great to meet so many listeners with such positive comments!!

1. Coaching For Sara….Tiff….brand new demo and probably the first time this has ever been broadcast on the radio!! We’ve had Coaching For Sara live to air twice, both shows received a lot of great feedback!
      2. John Catto and Lauri Shaw…..I Put A Spell On You….a demo that John recorded, put on facebook and we asked, and John gave us permission to air it on Radio WW!! Thanx John!! A number of years back we had 3 of the original Diodes and author Liz Worth on air to talk about the Treat Me Like Dirt Book that documents the Toronto and area early punk/new wave scene! And we had their manager Ralph Alfonso onair via a remote while he was walking around downtown London visiting the very first place The Diodes played in London! And coincidentally the place where the very first punk show happened in London….spring 1977 at Niederman’s loft.
      3. The Diodes….Tired Of Waking Up Tired….from the 2017 Rarites CD on Artofact Records. There’s vinyl and CD releases of this and available locally at Sunrise of all places!
      4. Carbonas….Walking Out On Love….from the brand new Your Moral Superiors release we have at the station. Atlanta based and I have one other release by this band that’s quite good! You all know this song from Paul Collins, another guy we’ve had on Radio WW over the years!
      5. He Who Cannot Be Named….The Good The Bad and the Brutal….brand new release on Beluga Records out of Sweden, and ya, it’s that guy from The Dwarves. You all remember back in the spring of 1991 when The Dwarves were playing Call The Office with Supersuckers as support and the singer from The Dwarves said someone tried to slash his throat while they played? Ya, sure, the singer waved his microphone over the crowd, smashed a beer bottle that was being held up high and the person who had their beer smashed, tossed it at the singer and it just happened to hit him in the throat! An ace shot that produced some blood and a visit to the hospital with a borrowed OHIP card. Supersuckers were making their very first visit here and won over quite a few new fans, myself included and managed to buy all the records they had for sale that night!
      6. Dee Dee Ramone….Nothin’….from the Hop Around CD from 2000. This one should probably be Canpunk as it has Roger Mayne on guitar (from the Ugly Ducklings and the guy responsible for The Viletones Look Back In Anger), mastered by Peter J Moore and that Jan Haust guy released it on his OPM label….and written/originally performed by The Ugly Ducklings….was talking to Robert The Village Idiot about this one last week….
      7. Frankie and Jimmy….Got My Mojo Working…from their Scream The Blues LP and they are in town tonight at the Richmond.
      8. Frankie and Jimmy….Babe What’s Wrong With You….from their latest, Blues On The Brain and as above…Tonight!
      9. Honey B and the T-Bones….Bumble Bee….from the Shake Your Shimmy CD from 1992 and goes out to Danny P, our local honey bee guy who makes amazing honey!!! Honey B used to play at a place called Leadbellys as well as the London Blues Fest where we saw them with the kids many years ago!
      10. Catl….I’m On….from their brand new Bide My Time Till I Die release and they were in town recently.
      11. Tony Joe White…..Rainy Night In Georgia….from the Continued Lp and from 1969. RIP to Tony, never got a chance to see him and this is the song that he probably earned some decent royalties from.
      12. Tony Joe White….Polk Salad Annie…from the Black And White LP from 1969 and the song that most of us know and was even recorded by Deja Voodoo about 30 years ago!
      13. Eugene Ripper….Peter Blacks Only Sun….from the brand new Fast Folk Underground 5 CD that Eugene sent us. Sounding a little like Tom Wilson on this one, Eugene was in the late 70’s/early 80’s combo Stark Naked and the Fleshtones that used to play around London.
      14. Stiv Bators….Ready Anytime….from the Disconnected LP on Bomp Records from 1980. This one features Frank Secich on bass, guitar and songwriting. And, we’re going to be talking to Frank on next week’s edition of Radio WW as Frank will be in town on November 14th at Call The Office. Frank Secich will be playing in his Blue Ash and Deadbeat Poets combos as part of a Brain Cancer Benefit show. Lots of details next week and plan accordingly to catch this Legend here in London Ontario!
      15. Stiff Little Fingers….Gate 49….from the Go For It Lp from 1981 and my fave SLF LP.
      16. Stiff Little Fingers….Silver Lining….as above. Right around this time, Jake Burns from Stiff Little Fingers called in and talked about SLF, the upcoming show at Rumrunners (Thursday November 8th), why you should go to this show and lots of history about the band!!! It was a really fun talk as Jake remembered everything we threw at him and more!!!
      17. Stiff Little Fingers….Tin Soldiers…from the Greatest Hits double Lp and a request.
      18. Stiff Little Fingers….Just Fade Away….from the Go For It Lp.
      19. Stiff Little Fingers…..Go For it….from the LP of the same name and such a great instrumental track!! If that ain’t reason enough to catch the band this Thursday, dunno what is as it is their very first time here in London!
      20. U.N.Jefferson….Testify….from the brand new release by this soul combo that has roots right here in London. Talked to the leader at the record show and we want to get a live to air with this combo happening….early next year it looks like!
      21. Black Joe Lewis….Salt Or Soul?....from the brand new The Difference Between Me And You release from this guy that was based in Montreal for a coupla years prior to moving back to Austin.
      22. Roxy And The Underground Sound…..Mistakes…from the Don’t You Know CD and from Halifax. Many years ago, the bass player did a live to air here on Radio WW in a previous combo called Bloody Diamonds.
      23. Jane Doe….There’s A Guy Works Down The Chipstore Swears He’s  Elvis….local collaboration 7” from the late 80’s from here in London.

Huge Thanx to Jake Burns for taking the time to talk with us about Stiff Little Fingers and their upcoming show on Thursday November 8th at Rumrunners.

And congrats to our ticket and meet and greet winners:

Andrew Dice Muir and Reide Hornick!

The phone went  insane when we announced the giveaways and we had to get our News/Sports Head John Urban to give the non-winners the bad news! John is a real pro at giving bad news…LOL.

Some day soon, we’ll have an archived show here:

• November 17, 2018 10:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 16/2018

1. Castor Troys….Highway….from the 2015 release, Come  Hell Or High Water. CT were in town last night at  Norma Jeans.
      2. Chocolate Watchband….Take A Ride….from the brand new This Is My Voice release on Dirty Water Records. Long time archivist, compiler, musician, band member Alec Palao is playing bass on this and is most likely the impetus behind this project. Sonically not a lot has changed in the 50 years since CW’s last release.
      3. Chocolate Watchband….Can’t Seem To Make You Mine… as above and CW were known for covering Seeds tunes live back in the 60’s.
      4. Chocolate Watchband….Are You Gonna Be There….from the Ace/Big Beat double CD Melts In Your Brain ….Not On Your Wrist that came out in 2005. Alec Palao as mentioned above, was heavily involved in this project. And this one is highly recommended for any CW fans as some tracks have been altered/corrected to have the lead vocals of Dave Aguilar on them, as  opposed to the studio musician who was on the original songs. This is my go to Chocolate Watchband release.
      5. Dead Freddie….Cartoon Woman….brand new release in the station and they are from Chicago.
      6. Red Arms….Soviet Red…from a 7” on Yeah Right! Records and they are playing tonight at Call The Office, along with Bleeter and the James Clark Hangover to celebrate Jeff Baty’s Labatt’s 50th.
      7. F105….Rebel Girl…just got this one as a download and the band is from Toronto.
      8. Mott The Hoople….Drivin’ Sister…from the 1973 Mott Lp.
      9. Dustbin Flowers…Take Me On….from the recent Made To Last release and from London Ontario.
      10. Bob Seger….Heavy Music….from the recent release of the same name and collects all of Bob’s Cameo singles.
      11. Tami Neilson….Stay Outta My Business….from the recent Sassafrass! Release and Tami is coming to Aeolian Hall this Thursday. Tami presently resides in New Zealand, Canadian born and was part of the Neilson family band that had some AM radio hits a generation or so ago.
      12. Tami Neilson….Kitty Cat…as above.  She’s got that big voice and not afraid to tackle any genre so this should be a really good show on Thursday.
      13. Wanda Jackson….Tore Down….from the 2012 Unfinished Business release. Wanda’s been to London Ontario at least 3 times, one of which was at the Aeolian Hall…
      14. Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis….Wild Wild Wild…..from the recent release of the same name and on the Bloodshot imprint.
      15. Stolen Minks…Stop Talkin’….from the 2006 Family Boycott release and from Halifax.
      16. Twin Fin….Jungle Room….from the Whiskey Wine and Venom Love release and they are playing at Fitzrays tonight.
      17. Invisible Surfers….Nice Try….from the brand new Desert King release on the Lost In Tyme imprint and from Greece.
      18. Ron and Don…Beat Generation….from the Las Vegas Grind Volume 3 compilation. Sounds a little bit like a song The Heartbreakers did back in the 70’s.
      19. 24th Street Wailers….Don’t Make It Easy…from their first release a few years ago and had been searching for this one for quite some time. Found it while digging at the Village Idiot the other day…..lesson is keep digging at your local record stores as you never know what you might uncover! Singer/drummer Lindsay Beaver has just released her first solo release on Rounder Records.
      20. Marion Gaines….Grandma’s Hands…from the Soul Gospel compilation on Soul Jazz Records and this song came out in 1972 and is a cover of the Bill Withers hit. Found this at the recent London Record Show as Soul Jazz is a UK imprint and not easily found locally. They are also one of my current fave labels…
      21. King Biscuit Boy with Crowbar….Shout Bamalama ….from the 1972 Official Music release and picked this one up at the recent London Record Show.
      22. The Mods….Step Out Tonight….from the recent Reactions release on Ugly Pop Records. This came out as a single back in 1978 and has been stuck in my noggin’ ever since! This starts our section on early Toronto punk bands as the 40th anniversary of the Last Pogo quickly approaches.
      23. The Screwed….Last Pogo…from the 2013 Green Haired Girl release and all 4 members of this combo have been in countless bands.
      24. Battered Wives….I Want It All….from their 1978 debut release.
      25. The Secrets….All The Words…from the 1997 Teenage Rampage release and recorded back in 1978.
      26. Tyranna….Unfaithful….from the Italian Rave Up Records compilation that came out a few years ago. 2nd wave Toronto punk combo that was largely forgotten, even though Cleave Anderson served some time on the tubs.
      27. The Scenics….I’m Hurt….from the In The Summer release from 2015, which contains 77/78 studio recordings from this Toronto art combo. They played London many times, often with The Demics, whom they arranged Toronto gigs for.
      28. The Government….Acute Angle….from their 1980 Guest List release and from Toronto. Another largely forgotten combo from the early days of the Toronto punk scene.
      29. The Government…..Fumigators….from the 1979 Electric Eye soundtrack release. The Government never played London Ontario, so we had to venture to Toronto to catch them. Didn’t get to see them until late 1981 and they were long past their prime.
      30. Segarini…..Teenage Love….from the On The Radio release of a live to air on Q107 from November 10/1978, almost 40 years to the day.
      31. Segarini….When The Lights Are Out….from the 1978 Gotta Have Pop release.
      32. Flamin’ Groovies…..Way Over My Head….from the 1992 Rock Juice release. 
      33. American Jam Band….Jam Jam….from the Glitterbest compilation that collects some glam/powerpop sounds from the early to mid 70’s. All I know about this combo, is they are from the UK and released at least 2 7” records.
      34. Despair…..Sweet Heart….as above and this is one of Knox’s pre-Vibrators combos. Most of you will know this song from the Vibrators Pure Mania release from 1978, but this is the original version of the song.

Big Thanx to all that took the time to phone in, email, facebook message, text etc…..Thanx Tons!!!

And Thanx to all that came out to see the Deadbeat Poets and Blue Ash at Call The Office the other night! Had to leave prior to Blue Ash, but Deadbeat Poets were fucking amazing!!!! Tight hooks, loads of background vocals, guitars that interlocked, all of them took turns at lead vocals and near perfect sound!!! Absolutely love to see Deadbeat Poets again!!

Back again next week with another trip through various genre’s/time periods and moods.

Someday, there may be an archived show here:

• November 24, 2018 4:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 23/2018

1. Krista D….Crazy Bitch….brand new track in which Krista played all the instruments. Timely way to start the show as the title certainly sums up my recent dealings with an older relative.
      2. Hank And Frank….Walk Like A Zombie….from the Baloney Sandwich cassette that came out in 1990 and with What Wave zine #19. Hank is the vocalist/head honcho of Tuerto Loco who just happen to be playing tonight at the St Regis. Frank is a Stetson Brother and he plays Sunday at the Richmond. And coincidentally both have been live on Radio WW.
      3. Tuerto Loco….Nancy Sinatra….from a live recording on Radio WW 5/12/2011.  The song that everyone associates with this band.
      4. Tuerto Loco….Robert Q Public…. As above.
      5. The Thing From Outer Space…Penetration….brand new demo and they will be playing on Saturday Dec 8th as part of the Toys For Tots Show at the LMHF Ballroom. Lots more info on this one before the show.
      6. UIC…..Anything At All….from the Wiseman Sessions CD and they will be playing tonight at This Ain’t Hollywood. And Live Like 90 and Our Garage LP’s from the late 80’s are both now available on most formats. 8 tracks for the troglodytes available soon! If you’re near Hamilton, this is the place to be tonight!
      7. UIC….Our Garage…..live recording from 2017 at the Horseshoe in Toronto.
      8. Chocolate Watchband….Judgement Day….from the soon to be released This Is My Voice on Dirty Water Records.  There’s a video out for this one….seems kinda unreal that a band that hasn’t released anything in almost 50 years is back, releasing music and making videos!
      9. Chocolate Watchband….Bombay Pipeline….as above.
      10. Mark Sultan…Don’t Bother Me…from the recent Wasting Away release.
      11. UN Jefferson…..Shine On Me….from the brand new self titled release and this is Ajay’s latest combo. Hope to have them in the studio in the  new year once they set up their local shows.
      12. Tami Neilson….Diamond Ring….from the recent Sassafrass! Release and she was in town on Thursday at the Aeolian!!  Great show with a super backup band that included her younger brother on bass, both of whom were in the family band that used to tour across North America. Tami’s got one of those HUGE voices that just knocks you into the next room. Think Wanda Jackson meets mid 60’s soul meets trad country all rolled up into one crazy and entertaining package!!
      13. Invisible Surfers….Keep The Engine Running….from their brand new Desert King release on Lost In Tyme Records out of Greece.
      14. Poisoned Aeros…Social Taboo….from the 2003 Turbulence release and from Hamilton. Think the last time we saw this band was backing up Sylvain Sylvain at Call The Office.
      15. Stolen Minks….Viola Desmond….from the 2008 High Kicks CD and from Halifax. Timely as the new $10 features Viola Desmond and this song tells the story from 1946.
      16. Peter And The Wolves….Fakin’ It….from the recent Howlin’ and Prowlin’ release.
      17. The Rizdales…Here I Go….from the Radio Country release from 2007 and they have their CD release party at the Richmond this afternoon.
      18. The Cramps….Weekend On Mars….live recording from a 7” on New Rose Records.  Patrick Mathe of New Rose Records passed away earlier this week and from here on, we’re spinning New Rose records in his honour. So many great bands were on this label based in France.
      19. Alex Chilton….Underclass….from a double 7” called No Sex on New Rose.
      20. Panther Burns….Tina The Go Go Queen….from the 1985 Sugar Ditch Revisited release on New Rose. Had a ticket stub from the last Panther Burns show in this area….June 19 2013 at This Ain’t Hollywood.
      21. Panther Burns….Surfside Date….from the Return Of The Blue Panther release on New Rose Records from 1988.
      22. The Saints….Miss Wonderful….from the 1981 LP The Monkey Puzzle on New Rose. This is New Rose 001 and believe it’s Patrick’s first release!
      23. The Real Kids….Outta Place…from the All Kindsa Jerks Live release on New Rose where John Felice mentions to pick up their latest record on New Rose!
      24. The Real Kids….No Place Fast….from the Outta Place LP from 1982 on New Rose.
      25. The Real Kids….She….from the 1983 Hit Your Hard LP on New Rose. When others had given up on The Real Kids, Patrick was getting them to record, release records and play live in France where they were heroes to the French kids! Thanx to Patrick and his New Rose label for dealing with the bad habits of the band and keeping them active!
      26. The Real Kids….Hit You Hard….as above. Played 2 tunes from this one.
      27. Destroy All Monsters….November 22 1963….from the Singles and Rarites release. Timely play of this one. Was talking to Ron Asheton the last time DAM (or Dark Carnival as they were then known) played here, and he said that the Fan Club label (one of the many New Rose subsidiaries) was one of the few that actually paid artists and he was always happy to deal with them!
      28. The Kids….Solid Gold….from the recent The Real Kids 1974 Demos CD on Crypt Records. This is The Real Kids prior to taking the name and is a 1974 demo and gives you an idea of how the song changed over the years. And it Fucking Rocks!!! The genius that is John Felice comes through loud and proud.  A highly recommended release as the CD comes with a 200 page book with shitloads of Real Kids info!!!
      29. The Real Kids….Taxi Boys….from the above release and part of the 1977 demos.
      30. Mad Daddys…..So Macho….from the Music For Men release on New Rose and produced by Lux and Ivy.  So many Great releases on New Rose Records and we’ve run outta time….

Big Thanx for all the phoners, emails, messages and Heys!!!  Back again next week with more noise to annoy.

Eventually there will be an archived show here:

• December 1, 2018 11:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist November 30/2018

1. Krista D….Crazy Bitch…..latest demo and still applicable.
      2. Shoobies….Girl Or Gator….from their latest download Nevermind The Hardcore Here’s The Shoobies. Local guitar instro combo.
      3. The Thing From Outer Space…Penetration….latest download from this London guitar instro combo. They are playing at the Toys For Tots show Sat December 8th at the London Music Hall Of Fame Ballroom. It’s a 2 till 8PM benefit for kids and many other London combos are playing; Boy From Nowhere, 10 Heads On 10, 63 Monroe and more!
      4. Link Protrudi and the Jaymen….Beaver Shot…from their 1992 Slow Grind LP and they are 3 members of The Fuzztones. They played Key West here in London back in 1987.
      5. The Sadies….The Horseshoe….from their Tales Of The Rat Fink release and The Sadies are in town tonight at Call The Office.
      6. The Sadies….Another Year….from their Darker Circles release from 2010 and this song always hits the spot with me. These guys have lived the lyrics and know what it’s like!
      7. John Doe and The Sadies…..Stop The World And Let Me Off….from their Country Club release from 2009. This lineup played Call The Office and it was a classic show!
      8. Mack MacKenzie and Chip Kinman….It’s Not Worth It…..from a brand new release Cuatro De Los Angeles EP. All funds raised from the sale of this EP go to the widow of Chip’s brother Tony, who passed away recently. Medical expenses aren’t cheap. Chip and Tony Kinman were in The Dils and Rank & File, two highly influential outfits. Mack is from 3 O’Clock Train from Montreal and has been on Radio WW a few times over the years, even doing a couple of live to airs. In future, I think we’re gonna refer to this combo as Mack and Chip….sounds like some kind of snack!
      9. The Rizdales….Honky Tonk Honeymoon….from the brand new Lucky Enough release and there’s a shoutout to the Richmond on this one! The Rizdales have their annual Christmas party at the Richmond on December 8th from4 till 7PM.
      10. Jon Spencer….Beetle Boots….from a brand new release called Spencer Sings The Hits.
      11. Pop Rivets….Beatle Boots…from their Fun In The UK release from 1985 on Jim’s Records. This is a late 70’s recording from the first combo of Billy Childish….who went on to fame in The Milkshakes, Mighty Caesars and so many more fine Chatham UK based combos.
      12. The Standells….Why Pick On Me….from a crappy re-ish and shoulda played the original from around 1967. Gotta stay away from these crappy vinyl re-ish and stick to the original or the re-mastered CD’s.
      13. Chocolate Watchband….Secret Rendevous….from the soon to be released This Is My Voice on Dirty Water Records out of the UK. 50 years later and they still sound great!
      14. Tami Neilson…..Walk…from the 2015 Dynamite! Release. Tami was in town just over a week ago, and put on a phenomenal show at the Aeolian Hall.
      15. Lady Dottie and the Diamonds….Livin’ It Up….from a 2015 release on Hi-Speed Soul Records. Dunno anything about this combo, but Lady Dottie appears to be much older than her young backup combo, but belts out some serious soul/rock on this, her only release that I’m aware of.
      16. UN Jefferson…..Everything Is Alright….from their brand new self titled release and we’ve got a date of December 28th for UN to join us in the studio. They’ve got a gig later on that eve here in London.
      17. Black Joe Lewis…..Nothing But A Cliché….from the recent The Difference Between Me and You release. Austin based combo that spent some time in Montreal a few years back.
      18. Catl…Baby You All Wrong….from the recent Bide My Time Till I Die release and from Toronto.
      19. Roger Zuraw….Schlepping Around The Chanukkah Bush….from the 2013 Whose Blues Is It Anyway release and Roger is from Toronto.
      20. Ugly Ducklings….Gaslight…..from their original single from 1967 and goes out to Dave, one of the volunteers at the London Music Hall Of Fame who got to see the Ugly Ducklings back in the 60’s.
      21. Ugly Ducklings….The Pain Is All Right…..from a 1979 single on Razor Records which was the imprint of the Village Idiot. Robert the Village Idiot can tell you some interesting info on this release.
      22. Ugly Ducklings….I Wish You Would….from the 1982 LP on Yorktown (ARC Records) that collects some unreleased tracks along with some LP tracks. The cymbal sound at the beginning of this track is just so perfect!
      23. The Mongrels….All Systems Go…..from their demo and they are doing their monthly Rock’n’Roll Rent Party on Sunday at the Richmond.
      24. Jackie Mittoo….Grand Funk….from the Jamaica to Toronto compilation on Light In The Attic. 1971 recording and Jackie is featured on a CBC taping from the early 70’s that was shown on CBC TV recently. Jackie was one of the originators of the reggae sounds in Jamaica in the early 60’s and moved to Toronto to help create the reggae scene there.
      25. Lloyd Delpratt….Together….from the same release as above. The Jamaica To Toronto compilation is highly recommended for any fans of the early Toronto reggae and soul scene as it collects impossible to find 7” record recordings along with other recordings from the late 60’s to mid 70’s.
      26. Matt Lucas….I’m Movin’ On….from a 7” on the Mercury label and a couple of Londoners used to play with Matt….Cameron Marshman and Jack Whiteside. Jack can tell you some wild stories of his time in Matt’s band!
      27. Sylvain Sylvain….14th Street…from the CD compilation New York’s A Go Go. Sylvain has played here in London at Call The Office a few times over the years, always putting on great shows!
      28. Andre Williams and The Sadies….America….from the Night and Day release on Yep Roc from 2012.
      29. Denise and Company….Take Me As I Am….from the first volume of Girls In The Garage, a series on Romulan Records that collects obscure girl combos from the 60’s playing garage/girl group sounds. This is also a preview of next week’s all female voices show.
      30. Whyte Boots…..Nightmare….from the second volume of Girls In The Garage.
      31. Jean and the Statesiders….Putty In Your Hands….from the third volume of Girls In The Garage and this track was released back in 1965, prior to The Yardbirds version.
      32. Southern Belles….Dum Dum Ditty….from the fourth volume of Girls In The Garage.
      33. Linda Gayle….Maggies Farm…..from the fifth volume of Girls In The Garage and this could be Jerry Lee Lewis’s younger sister.
      34. The Dropouts…..Sucker Punch…..from the 2005 After School Specials release and we faded this one out as time ran out…..

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages, texts and Heys!!!

Next week it’s an all female Voices show, as we commemorate the Montreal Massacre. CHRW will be doing an all day of female voices on Thursday December 6th.

Someday there may be an archived show here:

• December 8, 2018 10:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist December 7/2018. All Female Voices.

1. Ronnie Spector….I’d Much Rather Be With The Girls…from her 2016 English Heart release and a song to sum up the show! Ronnie of course was in The Ronettes  back in the mid 60’s.
      2. Hiroshima Hearts….14 Floors….from an 11/2014 demo and from London Ontario.
      3. Tami Neilson….Holy Moses….from her 2016 Don’t Be Afraid release and she was at Aeolian Hall a few weeks back and put on an Amazing show! Former member of the pop/country Neilson Family band that used to tour North America and now residing in New Zealand.
      4. Etta James….Tough Lover…..from a Greatest Hits package and originally released back in 1956.
      5. Wanda Jackson….Funnel Of Love….from the 2003 Heart Trouble release and The Cramps are backing Wanda up on this track! This came out just prior to her first London show at the Aeolian Hall! And a fabulous show it was as locals The Rizdales were her backup band.
      6. Aretha Franklin….Lee Cross…from the ulta suave Soul Gospel compilation on the Soul Jazz label out of the UK. This song is from 1965, right around the time Aretha joined Atlantic Records and went on to fame and fortune!
      7. Detroit Cobras….Hey Sah Lo Ney…sometimes called Hey Sailor and a live recording from Call The Office 3/7/2002. This was the only time I ever got to see the Detroit Cobras and remember guitarist Mary cutting one of her strumming fingers and there was some blood on stage. And that’s when we realized that this was the same Mary from the Vertical Pillows combo who had Rob Tyner helping them out.
      8. Hot Kid….Get On The Road….from the Got It To Give release from 2007 and they played one of our Battle Of The 2 Piece Bands at the Black Shire shows.
      9. White Lung….Breaking Bones….from a 7” from 2007 and when the band was all female.
      10. Stolen Minks….Boys On The Floor….from their debut CD from 2008 and from Halifax.
      11. Viv Sun and the Black Holes….Hobo….from a 1996 demo and this band became The Black Holes with Vince Braca taking over vocals/rhythm guitar. Tom Hilborn plays the wyld lead guitar.
      12. Zellots….Soldiers…from a 1981 demo and from London Ontario.
      13. Jane Doe…..Dance With Me Henry….from a 7” and is a collection of London Ontario musicians having some fun.
      14. The Hippies….A Peculiar Boy….from a live recording from 10/5/2013 at the Town and Country.
      15. Suzi Quatro…..48 Crash….from her 1974 release and from Detroit.
      16. Lady Dottie and The Diamonds…Have Love Will Travel….from their 2008 debut release and from the west coast.
      17. The Creamers….Stay With Me….1991 7” on the SFTRI label.
      18. American Flamewhip…..Kick It….from their 2006 Fingertight release on the Transistor 66 label.
      19. The Poles….CN Tower….from their 1977 7” and from the first wave of Toronto punk combos.
      20. Amy Rigby…..Dancing With Joey Ramone….from her Little Fugitive release from 2005.
      21. Shangri Las…..Sophisticated Boom Boom….from a Greatest Hits compilation.
      22. Mary Weiss….Cry About The Radio….from her 2007 Dangerous Game release on Norton Records. Mary was in the Shangri Las and has the killer line ‘kids don’t know shit these days’ that sums up life. Backing combo is Greg Cartwright’s Reigning Sound and the odd A Bone and makes for Great release!
      23. Shannon and the Clams….Heads Or Tales….from their Dreams In The Rat House release from 2013.
      24. Roxy and the Underground Soul Sound….Mistakes…from their 2014 Don’t You Know release and from Halifax. Bass player/music arranger/song writer Ian Bennett played guitar in….
      25. Bloody Diamonds….She Ain’t Pretty….from a live recording at CHRW 9/27/2012 and from Halifax.
      26. Sacred Miracle Cave….Summer Time….from a 1989 7” on SFTRI and features Betsy Palmer from Bomp Records.
      27. Pack AD….Don’t Have To….from a live recording at Call The Office 10/7/2011.
      28. The Slits….Typical Girls….from the 1979 Cut release and from the UK.
      29. Trash Kit….Gorey….from their 2010 debut release and from the UK.
      30. Mod-ettes…..Fandango…from their 1980 Story So Far release and also from the UK.
      31. Angela Prince….No Bother….1966 recording from the Studio One Women compilation on Soul Jazz Records and from Jamaica.
      32. Jerry Jones….There’s A Chance For Me….1967 recording and same as above.
      33. True Confessions…..Mating Games….from their 1980 debut album and only album. Some of the former Curse members and other members of the first wave Toronto punk scene. Had to fade this one out as we ran outta time, but certainly not tunes.

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, texts, FB messages and Heys!!!

Back again next week with a Pete Shelley tribute and lots of requests from the last couple of weeks!

Someday, there may be an archived show here:

• December 15, 2018 5:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist December 15/2018

1. Krista D….Crazy Bitch….latest demo and goes to you know who.
      2. The Thing From Outer Space….Penetration….their latest demo.
      3. Invisible Surfers…..Nice Try….from the recent Desert King release on Lost In Tyme Records from Greece.
      4. Shoobies….JROL….from their latest release, Nevermind the Hardcore, Here’s Shoobies.
      5. F105….Rebel Girl….from their latest release.
      6. Slugfest….Chicken On A Ball And Chain….from The Port CD from 2006 and Slugfest have their annual Christmas party tonight at the St Regis.
      7. Eugene Ripper….Northern Train….from his latest release, Fast Folk Underground 5
      8. Chocolate Watchband….Till The Daylight….from the soon to be released This Is My Voice and they actually get political on this one.
      9. Mack and Chip….or Mack MacKenzie and Chip Kinman doing Lucky Day from their recent Cuatro De Los Angeles EP. All proceeds from this one go to the family of Chip’s brother Tony’s family, as Tony passed recently and there’s still lots of medical bills that have to be paid.
      10. Dave Rave….Anne Marie….from a live to air on Radio WW 8/1/2013.
      11. Dany Laj and the Looks…..Left Right To One….from their latest 7” and a video has just been released for this song.
      12. Lene Lovich….Home….from her 1979 Stateless LP and goes out to Danny Bee!
      13. Cordcalling….When I Scream….from their first release back in 2008 and this duo has a brand new video just out.
      14. UN Jefferson…..Testify….from their self titled debut release and they play Rumrunners on 12/28. We’ll be talking to the leader of this band the day of the show.
      15. The Cramps….She Said….from a 1981 7” with Kid Congo on guitar and a request.
      16. Catl….Cocaine Blues….from their recent Bide My Time Till I Die release.
      17. The Mongrels….Do It….a demo and they play tonight at Eastside here in London.
      18. Newport Electric…..The Way Out Is In….from their debut release and they play the Richmond on Sunday.
      19. Magazine….I Love You, You Big Dummy….from the After The Fact release and originally released in 1978. Howard Devoto was the singer for this combo and he was the original lead singer of The Buzzcocks….
      20. The Buzzcocks….Breakdown….from the Spiral Scratch EP from 1977 and the rest of the show is dedicated to Pete Shelley who passed away last week.
      21. The Buzzcocks….Times Up…. As above.
      22. The Buzzcocks…..Can’t Control Myself….from the Times’s Up bootleg with Howard Devoto on vocals.
      23. The Buzzcocks…..Fast Cars….from their first full length release, Another Music In A Different Kitchen.
      24. The Buzzcocks…..I Don’t Mind…. As above.
      25. The Buzzcocks…..What Do I Get….from a 7” from around the same time as the first LP.
      26. The Buzzcocks…..Orgasm Addict….as above. One of my fave  Buzzcocks tunes!!
      27. The Buzzcocks…..Ever Fallen In Love….from the Love Bites release.
      28. The Buzzcocks….Promises….from a 7” from around the same time as the second LP.
      29. The Buzzcocks…Love You More…. As above.
      30. The Buzzcocks….You Say You Don’t Love Me…..from their third full length, A Different Kind Of Tension.
      31. The Buzzcocks…Harmony In My Head….from a 7” from around the same time as the third LP.
      32. The Buzzcocks….Something’s Gone Wrong Again…. As above.
      33. Pete Shelley…..Homosapien….from a 7” released not long after The Buzzcocks broke up and this one got loads of airplay on CHRW back then. Had to cut this one off as we ran out of time.

Big Thanx for all the crazy phone calls we had during this one. Oddly the phone stopped ringing once The Buzzcocks took over the airwaves!! And Big Thanx for all the messages, emails, texts and Heys!!

Back again next week, with an all Christmas show!

Someday there will be an archived show at this link:

• December 24, 2018 8:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Radio What Wave Playlist December 21/2018

1. The Rooks….Christmas….from a 2 song promo CD from 1991 and this is the powerpop band that we all dig!
      2. MX80 Sound….Christmas With The Devil….from their We’re An American Band release from 2005. This is the same combo that has been around since the mid 70’s and are revered as proto punkers by many. Their first coupla LP’s are left field, 2 drummer, guitar noise, rant and roll!
      3. Plan 9….Merry Christmas….from a 7” on Midnight Records from 1984. This Rhode Island band of misfits played London at least 3, if not 4 times in the mid 80’s and each show was a different sound and band, but always progressing positively!
      4. Mack Rice….Santa Wants Some Lovin’….from a compilation called Trailer Trash Christmas.
      5. Paul James….Run Rudolph Run….from a 1986 7” and Paul is still out rockin’ as we saw about a year ago at the London Music Club.
      6. Mojo Nixon….Trim Yo Tree….from the Trailer Trash Christmas compilation.
      7. 63 Monroe…..White Christmas….from a mid 80’s 7” and these guys are playing Wednesday at Call The Office.
      8. Trailer Trash….Don’t Believe In Christmas….from the Trailer Trash compilation.
      9. Jack Scott….There’s Trouble Brewin’….from the Black Christmas compilation and Jack played at Victoria Park Bandshell here in London many a year ago.
      10. Youngsters….Christmas In Jail….from the above Black Christmas compilation.
      11. Washboard Pete….Christmas Blues…..as above.
      12. Roger Zuraw….I’m In Love And It’s Christmas….from his There’s Life, Then There’s A Song release from 2005.
      13. Shonen Knife….Space Christmas….from a 7” from 1991.
      14. Angel Corpus Christi…..Still Feels Like Christmas….from the Gulcher Christmas compilation and the finest accordion player around!
      15. Patsy Raye….Beatnik’s Christmas….from the Swing For A Crime compilation from the mid 80’s on GMG Records.
      16. Automatics….Merry Christmas….from the Gulcher Christmas compilation.
      17. The Gruesomes….Santa Claus….from the Gruesomania CD on Ricochet Sound.
      18. Mach Bell….C’mon Santa….from the Gulcher Christmas compilation….Mach was in Thundertrain, an early Boston punk/proto combo.
      19. The Turtles…..Santa and the Sidewalk Surfer….from the Happy Together Again release on Sire Records that collects many of their hits.
      20. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet…..Xmas Medley…..from the CBC Tapes, which is a recording of a Christmas show they did on CBC back in the late 80’s.
      21. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet…..Deck The Halls….as above.
      22. Deadbeat Poets….Christmas Time In Painesville….from A Deadbeat Christmas release that I got from the band when they were here a few weeks back. Deadbeat Poets put on a Killer show at Call The Office and would love to see this band again….tight guitar pop tunes with an edge!
      23. The Ramones….Merry Christmas….from the Brain Drain release.
      24. The Tryfles….Gloria….from a Midnight Christmess Volume 1, a compilation on the Midnight Records label. Midnight wasn’t just a label, but a store that we used to frequent many years ago.
      25. Das Furlines….O Tannenbaum….from the Midnight Christmess Volume 2 compilation. Das Furlines are my fave all female honk and holler combo!!!
      26. The Ravens….Blue Christmas….on the same compilation as above.
      27. The Fleshtones….Canadian Christmas……from the Stocking Stuffer release and features the Fleshtones Canadian Ken Fox!
      28. Right around here, The Legendary Stardust Cowboy called in with his annual Christmas message. Thanx Ledge!! And Thanx for that early morning serenade you did at our place about 30 or so years ago!
      29. The Fleshtones….Hooray For Santa Claus….from the Stocking Stuffer release.
      30. Snoopy’s Christmas….from an ARC Christmas Snoopy LP that features legendary 60’s garage combo The Quiet Jungle doing the music. This is the Canadian version of the Royal Guardsmen hit from the early 60’s.
      31. The Shanks….Christmas Star….from The Dark Richard Show release from 2010. The Shanks came to Call The Office along with Duotang a few months back.
      32. Urban Surf Kings….Jingle Bells….from a download and this combo is from the east coast.
      33. Thee Eviltones….It’s Christmas….from a download and they are from the UK.
      34. Tony Low….Merry Christmas….Tony sent us this one a couple years back, and he was the long time bass player for powerpop combo The Cheepskates.
      35. Lazy Cowgirls….Santa’s Got a Brand New Bag….from a 7” on  Bomp Records from 1986.
      36. CW Stoneking…..On A Christmas Day….from his King Hokum release from 2011 and from Australia.

Thanx for all the phone calls as there were a lot this week!! And Thanx for all the emails, messages, texts, smoke signals and Heys!!!  Merry Christmas!

Back next week with more noise to annoy.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel