Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Wheel Standers

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 6, 2010 4:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had the privilege to see the little red wagon many years back. Anyone else see it or the Jolly Rancher candy Wheel standers?

The Jolly Rancher Fire Truck used cinnamon oil in the exhaust so it smelled like the candy as it went by.

And the Stage Coach did a scent in the exhaust also, I think maybe it was grape.

• August 8, 2011 9:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Valiant that Andrew posted is a regular competition vehicle, that hooked up too hard and is losing time in a drag race. You can tell its happening at a regular track day. Wheel standers are built to run the whole quarter mile on the spark plates or wheelie bars. Every wheel stander I have seen is rear engined to make it easier to keep the front wheels up, the car Andrew posted woudl have a hell of a time keeping those wheels up in the air, he is actually only doing that near the starting line. My opinion is that a wheel stander is a purpose built exhibition machine, not a competition car, but there are new wheel standing competitions being run but that is truly a whole other balllgame, those cars are purpose built to do wheel stands very high.

They usually come down very hard, tear up parts, and run 200-300 feet before stopping. an exhibition wheel stander will do the whole quarter mile in 11-12 seconds throwing sparks and going over 120mph easily. Originally wheel standers were hired to do 3 or so runs at an event as a bonus to the regular drag racing show, promoters used them, jet cars, and traveling match racing funny cars to draw more people into there regular weekend show. Local Funny car driver Danny Miller did this for years, and as a matter of fact his old car is now being campaigned by Jake Jacobsmeyer as the "All Star Dodge" Challenger, and oddly enough I sat in that car back in the mid to late 70's when Danny Miller still owned it.

• August 8, 2011 9:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I'm confused. What's the difference? What makes the one that Andy posted not a "purpose built wheelstander" What makes it any difference from the Little Red Wagon or Hemi Under Glass 'Cuda?

Andrew Malcolm said:

I stand corrected.

Shane-O said:

Nice picture Andrew, but that isnt a purpose built Wheelstander. These vehicles were built only to wheel stand the whole quarter mile, for show purposes. Heres a pic of the famous "Hemi Under Glass" built for wheelstanding.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 5, 2011 7:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I stand corrected.

Shane-O said:

Nice picture Andrew, but that isnt a purpose built Wheelstander. These vehicles were built only to wheel stand the whole quarter mile, for show purposes. Heres a pic of the famous "Hemi Under Glass" built for wheelstanding.

• August 5, 2011 5:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heres a few more I found!

A VW!

• August 5, 2011 5:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 5, 2011 1:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 1, 2011 10:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 6, 2010 4:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel