Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Naked Lunch the restored text by William S Burroughs

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 6, 2013 8:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Burroughs is a mixed bag. He would probably consider gun control as a totalitarian effort. But does this stance reveal a larger principle or an attempt to protect a personal gun fetish? Burroughs is known to have accidentally shot and killed his wife in a drunken game of William Tell yet he was a fan of guns anyway. It is also interesting that Burroughs told Kerouac that buddhism was 'psychic junk.' The buddhist precept against taking intoxicants would certainly hamper a drug habit. Controversial as he is, Burroughs was writing about the spread of viral language and information long before the advent of viral videos. That is one reason I think he still warrants reading and study. At least amongst us literary geeks!

sleazy said:

Yes, your right. In a weird way, I'd spare WB living in these totalitarian times of ours:(:(

Glenn Armstrong said:

Yeah, I read Naked Lunch in high school as well. It made more sense this time around. Although Burroughs died when the Internet was in its infancy, he would probably be interested in how the Chinese government is blocking web sites, censoring blogs, etc. And the role of social media in popular uprisings and so on. He also thought that language was a kind of virus which could possibly apply to information as well.

sleazy said:

I read that book a long time ago in high school. I'll have to get back to it one day, then I can say more. I vaguely remember the essence of WB:):)....thanx for the nifty heads up anyway:)

• January 5, 2013 7:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, your right. In a weird way, I'd spare WB living in these totalitarian times of ours:(:(

Glenn Armstrong said:

Yeah, I read Naked Lunch in high school as well. It made more sense this time around. Although Burroughs died when the Internet was in its infancy, he would probably be interested in how the Chinese government is blocking web sites, censoring blogs, etc. And the role of social media in popular uprisings and so on. He also thought that language was a kind of virus which could possibly apply to information as well.

sleazy said:

I read that book a long time ago in high school. I'll have to get back to it one day, then I can say more. I vaguely remember the essence of WB:):)....thanx for the nifty heads up anyway:)

• January 4, 2013 12:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sleazy said:

• January 4, 2013 4:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel