Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: BLADE RUNNER (the movie): Have any of you seen different version

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 12, 2013 12:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I lived in Seattle in 1998 the Egyptian showed what it thought was going to be the original theatrical release of Blade Runner with the Unicorn Dream tacked on. What it recieved was a hybrid cut that had that, minus the narration. Best version of the flick I've ever seen. The book about the making of the Blade Runner film talks about different releases, but I don't remember reading about this one.

Has anyone else seen any other versions?

• January 17, 2013 12:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those toys would be way-cool. I heard a rumor of a Dinky Spinner, but that's prolly all it was.

"(due to the poor reception the film got)" Grr! The best films always get the shaft! Brazil only stayed in my hometown 1 week. The People don't like challenging films.

Joey Fuckup said:

Yeah, at the time when the second Alien movie came out, I thought it was kinda cool. Now as I've gotten older, maybe not so much. But yes, very comic-bookish, and who would have predicted James Cameron's future career?

As for Winona Ryder, I think she "resurfaced" somewhere, because I thought there was a paparazzi shot of her showing up at some Hollywood event...Can't remember, but at least we know she's still alive (and still got it)...

Back on the "Blade Runner" topic, I hunted for some toy replica "spinner" vehicles that the ERTL Co. put out back when the movie came out, and unless I find a desperate meth addict wanting to sell them really cheap, they are way the hell out there on price! There was also a board game, but only a limited number were produced (due to the poor reception the film got), and they were only sold in San Fran & L.A.

dave said:

I know what you mean about the Alien sequels. The Cameron one was kinda fun in a Sgt. Rock kinda way, but even one of the Jeunet Bros. couldn't salvage the one w/ Winona.

*sigh* What ever happened to Winona, anyway? After Heathers, all of the scripts she picked didn't seem to rock. Too bad, wotta hottie, and cool actress...

Joey Fuckup said:

Yes, I know, 4 different versions on this "definative" collection. Of course they're all called something different (international cut, director's cut, etc.) I think even the original version with Ford's narration is included, although all versions have been remastered for better sound and picture quality, naturally.

Definately check out that Jeter sequel, I think you'd enjoy it. It ties up loose ends from the movie, and digs into the "Deckard is a replicant" conspiracy. Lots of cool surprises in that novel! Like I said, "Blade Runner 3" was just kinda far-fetched on its plot. Basically it's the possibility that replicants can become human, but it's the way they can become one is just not too realistic.

"Alien" is another one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films (next to "Blade Runner"), but I've just not been into anything that it's spawned (no pun intended).

dave said:

4 different versions on dvd?! Vhat de heck?!

Jeter is a great writer, I'll put that in my hold stack, thanks for the info.

As far as the sequel goes, Scott is incredible, but my stomach is still a little queasy at the thought of a 'franchise' on anything PKD wrote. Best of luck, though. Alien and Blade Runner are cinematic masterpieces, and he's done solid work since then.

• January 17, 2013 12:25 PM CST
    • Untitled

Yeah, at the time when the second Alien movie came out, I thought it was kinda cool. Now as I've gotten older, maybe not so much. But yes, very comic-bookish, and who would have predicted James Cameron's future career?

As for Winona Ryder, I think she "resurfaced" somewhere, because I thought there was a paparazzi shot of her showing up at some Hollywood event...Can't remember, but at least we know she's still alive (and still got it)...

Back on the "Blade Runner" topic, I hunted for some toy replica "spinner" vehicles that the ERTL Co. put out back when the movie came out, and unless I find a desperate meth addict wanting to sell them really cheap, they are way the hell out there on price! There was also a board game, but only a limited number were produced (due to the poor reception the film got), and they were only sold in San Fran & L.A.

dave said:

I know what you mean about the Alien sequels. The Cameron one was kinda fun in a Sgt. Rock kinda way, but even one of the Jeunet Bros. couldn't salvage the one w/ Winona.

*sigh* What ever happened to Winona, anyway? After Heathers, all of the scripts she picked didn't seem to rock. Too bad, wotta hottie, and cool actress...

Joey Fuckup said:

Yes, I know, 4 different versions on this "definative" collection. Of course they're all called something different (international cut, director's cut, etc.) I think even the original version with Ford's narration is included, although all versions have been remastered for better sound and picture quality, naturally.

Definately check out that Jeter sequel, I think you'd enjoy it. It ties up loose ends from the movie, and digs into the "Deckard is a replicant" conspiracy. Lots of cool surprises in that novel! Like I said, "Blade Runner 3" was just kinda far-fetched on its plot. Basically it's the possibility that replicants can become human, but it's the way they can become one is just not too realistic.

"Alien" is another one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films (next to "Blade Runner"), but I've just not been into anything that it's spawned (no pun intended).

dave said:

As far as the sequel goes, Scott is incredible, but my stomach is still a little queasy at the thought of a 'franchise' on anything PKD wrote. Best of luck, though. Alien and Blade Runner are cinematic masterpieces, and he's done solid work since then.

• January 16, 2013 1:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joey Fuckup said:

dave said:

• January 15, 2013 3:27 PM CST
    • Untitled

dave said:

• January 15, 2013 1:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 14, 2013 12:13 PM CST
    • Untitled

I've only seen (I'm guessing) three versions. The first time I watched it was on HBO shortly after the film had a run at the cinemas. As a huge Harrison Ford fan back in the day, I was really jazzed upon first reading about it in Starlog. Needless to say, with Roanoke, VA being a smaller market, the only place it played here in '82 was a drive-in for one weekend. So my ass was all over it when HBO started airing it (late night, no less). This was the domestic release with the narration and the "happy" ending. The second version I saw was on a VHS copy from New Line which was like what I had seen before, but with a "touch" more violence that apparently had been cut out on previous versions. Plus, it claimed to be an "unrated" cut. The third version I watched was a dvd copy from Warner Bros. Home Video that was touted as the "Director's Cut" which removed the narration and happy ending, added in the "unicorn dream sequence", and the supposed amplification of the red eyes on Harrison Ford in a key scene with Sean Young. As you know, this was done to instill the afterthought that Deckard was a replicant. Of course, now there's the 4 versions available in the re-release of the film on dvd, which I have not purchased. I have the book you're talking about ("Future Noir"), and I don't think there's ever been a film with so many different versions. If you haven't read it yet, check out the novel "Blade Runner 2: The Edge Of Human" by K. W. Jeter which integrates elements of the original "Electric Sheep" novel and the events of the movie into a nice, fitting sequel. A "BR 3" novel was also released, but the storyline was just too "out there". With Ridley Scott signed on to do an actual sequel, I'm interested to see where the story is headed.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel