Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Go ahead, tell me how much this pisses you off...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 25, 2010 11:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did see both of those movies, but thanks for mentioning them. I would like to see something that focuses on the English Disco scene, rather than Rodney's whole life, sort of like "Studio 54."

John Carlucci said:
      There already is a film about Arthur Kane of The New York Dolls, titled "A New York Doll" if you've not seen it. Plus there's a movie about Rodney Bingenheimer called "Mayor Of The Sunset Strip" . Both are quite sobering.
      A new photo book came out about Max's Kansas City recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find a photo of my old Band, The Speedies included, though I'm not visible in the shot! lol!

MikeL said:
      Since everyone else here has made suggestions for band movies, here are a few of my own.

I would like to see a movie about the New York Dolls, or perhaps one about Johnny Thunders in particular. I would also like to see movies made about the Stooges and the Clash.

I would also like to see movies made about particular scenes, such as the early days of CBGBs, or perhaps the story of Max's Kansas City. Another good one would be Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco.
    • October 25, 2010 11:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There already is a film about Arthur Kane of The New York Dolls, titled "A New York Doll" if you've not seen it. Plus there's a movie about Rodney Bingenheimer called "Mayor Of The Sunset Strip" . Both are quite sobering. A new photo book came out about Max's Kansas City recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find a photo of my old Band, The Speedies included, though I'm not visible in the shot! lol!

MikeL said:
      Since everyone else here has made suggestions for band movies, here are a few of my own.

I would like to see a movie about the New York Dolls, or perhaps one about Johnny Thunders in particular. I would also like to see movies made about the Stooges and the Clash.

I would also like to see movies made about particular scenes, such as the early days of CBGBs, or perhaps the story of Max's Kansas City. Another good one would be Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco.
    • October 25, 2010 3:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

Fuck yeah! On a similar note, I think it'd be really cool if someone could make a Coffee & Cigarettes style film based on Please Kill Me!
    • October 22, 2010 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmm, movies about futuristic rock bands...that sounds like a new genre. You might want to talk to a Hollywood producer before someone else steals it.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I don't know about Richard Hell's background that well but Jim Morrison and Patti Smith were poets and scholars (well Jim was a drop out but smart) before they were musicians and it'd be more believable coming from a band like the Doors to say "hey, let's base this album on this idea" plus it would be probably 1968 when they thought of it. OK, the only way for me to believe that a truly weird album would be made in 1963 (and there are but they aren't by rock bands) would be for 3 jazz musicians to get together with a string quartet and some opera singers plus a beatnik poet who has indeed read everything, not a bunch of bar band greasers, but who'd go see that movie?

And even the stuff on the "first album", On the Darkside, that song I don't think would exist before Motown started getting a little more sophisticated or before Neil Diamond came on the scene. It's a cross between "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye and "Cherry Cherry". Even if Phil Spector stuck to a more conventional type of song, you have to admit it was pretty sophisticated for its time. The stuff Leiber and Stoller did with the Drifters and Ben E King was pretty sophisticated. Even Jackie DeShannon's When You Walk in the Room was sophisticated. and I don't know if anyone read about the review that WITH THE BEATLES got in 1963 but one of the songs, "Not a Second Time", got compared to Mahler or someone like that.

But to say that a bar band like Eddie and the Cruisers could write more sophisticated tunes than the above mentioned is kind of ridiculous. THAT THING YOU DO is a very believable movie when I stop and think about it.

LOL. I'm taking this way to seriously but I like my rock pics to be believable (unless they take place in the future. That's different).

MikeL said:
      LOL, Rod:) Well, I think basing an album on Rimbaud's "A Season in Hell" was ahead of it's time, before Jim Morrison and punk icons like Richard Hell and Patti Smith started citing Rimbaud as an influence. Lets keep in mind that lyrically, Wilson and Spector still stuck to conventional love songs at that time.

However, now that you mentioned this, it does remind me of "Listen to the Flower Children" by Spinal Tap, which was supposedly released before "Sgt. Pepper." Yeah, that whole "album before its time" has become a very silly cliche.

I didn't buy that whole "album SOoooooo ahead of its time" thing, especially if it's still only 1962 or '63. Phil Spector and Brian Wilson were ahead of the times during those same years and yet they still fit into THOSE years. Maybe if Eddie and the Cruisers was set in 1966 or '67. But then nobody would have got to look like the Outsiders (movie). I think Little Steven will get a better hold of what sounds authentic (or close).

MikeL said:
      Sorry to hear you feel that way, Rod, because I liked "Eddie and the Cruisers," and I liked the influence of those Springsteen albums on the soundtrack. I will admit that "The Runaways" didn't do a very good job of telling the story, but I liked it visually, and Michael Shannon's portrayal of Kim Fowley made it all worthwhile for me.

However, I thought that was interesting what you said about documentaries as opposed dramatizations. That's why I don't want to see a movie made about the Ramones, because I felt the documentary, "End of the Century," did a good enough job of telling the story.

I personally like documentaries better than docu-dramas about bands I like. If they serialized their stories on HBO or something, that'd be something. But to put someone's career in a two hour bubble never seems to work. I love the exposure that the Runaways got but I had a tough time with the movie.

But if they were going to make a picture of a sixties band, The Misunderstood would work (thanks to the band and Ugly Things) as would the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. And so would the Monks. Not so much the Sonics. They really don't have a story.

One thing I can say about Steven's picture is I don't think it will be cruddy as Eddie and the Cruisers. The music might sound slick but I'm sure it'll be closer to That Thing You Do rather than Darkness on the Edge of Town or the River.
    • October 22, 2010 2:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know about Richard Hell's background that well but Jim Morrison and Patti Smith were poets and scholars (well Jim was a drop out but smart) before they were musicians and it'd be more believable coming from a band like the Doors to say "hey, let's base this album on this idea" plus it would be probably 1968 when they thought of it. OK, the only way for me to believe that a truly weird album would be made in 1963 (and there are but they aren't by rock bands) would be for 3 jazz musicians to get together with a string quartet and some opera singers plus a beatnik poet who has indeed read everything, not a bunch of bar band greasers, but who'd go see that movie? And even the stuff on the "first album", On the Darkside, that song I don't think would exist before Motown started getting a little more sophisticated or before Neil Diamond came on the scene. It's a cross between "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye and "Cherry Cherry". Even if Phil Spector stuck to a more conventional type of song, you have to admit it was pretty sophisticated for its time. The stuff Leiber and Stoller did with the Drifters and Ben E King was pretty sophisticated. Even Jackie DeShannon's When You Walk in the Room was sophisticated. and I don't know if anyone read about the review that WITH THE BEATLES got in 1963 but one of the songs, "Not a Second Time", got compared to Mahler or someone like that. But to say that a bar band like Eddie and the Cruisers could write more sophisticated tunes than the above mentioned is kind of ridiculous. THAT THING YOU DO is a very believable movie when I stop and think about it. LOL. I'm taking this way to seriously but I like my rock pics to be believable (unless they take place in the future. That's different).

MikeL said:
      LOL, Rod:) Well, I think basing an album on Rimbaud's "A Season in Hell" was ahead of it's time, before Jim Morrison and punk icons like Richard Hell and Patti Smith started citing Rimbaud as an influence. Lets keep in mind that lyrically, Wilson and Spector still stuck to conventional love songs at that time.

However, now that you mentioned this, it does remind me of "Listen to the Flower Children" by Spinal Tap, which was supposedly released before "Sgt. Pepper." Yeah, that whole "album before its time" has become a very silly cliche.

I didn't buy that whole "album SOoooooo ahead of its time" thing, especially if it's still only 1962 or '63. Phil Spector and Brian Wilson were ahead of the times during those same years and yet they still fit into THOSE years. Maybe if Eddie and the Cruisers was set in 1966 or '67. But then nobody would have got to look like the Outsiders (movie). I think Little Steven will get a better hold of what sounds authentic (or close).

MikeL said:
      Sorry to hear you feel that way, Rod, because I liked "Eddie and the Cruisers," and I liked the influence of those Springsteen albums on the soundtrack. I will admit that "The Runaways" didn't do a very good job of telling the story, but I liked it visually, and Michael Shannon's portrayal of Kim Fowley made it all worthwhile for me.

However, I thought that was interesting what you said about documentaries as opposed dramatizations. That's why I don't want to see a movie made about the Ramones, because I felt the documentary, "End of the Century," did a good enough job of telling the story.

I personally like documentaries better than docu-dramas about bands I like. If they serialized their stories on HBO or something, that'd be something. But to put someone's career in a two hour bubble never seems to work. I love the exposure that the Runaways got but I had a tough time with the movie.

But if they were going to make a picture of a sixties band, The Misunderstood would work (thanks to the band and Ugly Things) as would the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. And so would the Monks. Not so much the Sonics. They really don't have a story.

One thing I can say about Steven's picture is I don't think it will be cruddy as Eddie and the Cruisers. The music might sound slick but I'm sure it'll be closer to That Thing You Do rather than Darkness on the Edge of Town or the River.
    • October 22, 2010 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A movie about The Clash would be great! or a big budget Stones film with a cool Director. They are working a Ramones movie based on the book "I slept with Joey Ramone" written by his brother. If anyone knows anything more about the Ramones film, I would be interested. By the way, I enjoyed the book, read it in two nights.
    • October 22, 2010 7:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL, Rod:) Well, I think basing an album on Rimbaud's "A Season in Hell" was ahead of it's time, before Jim Morrison and punk icons like Richard Hell and Patti Smith started citing Rimbaud as an influence. Lets keep in mind that lyrically, Wilson and Spector still stuck to conventional love songs at that time. However, now that you mentioned this, it does remind me of "Listen to the Flower Children" by Spinal Tap, which was supposedly released before "Sgt. Pepper." Yeah, that whole "album before its time" has become a very silly cliche.

MikeL said:

• October 21, 2010 3:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Rod, I played with The Fuzztones at Cavestomp 97. It was part of a short lived re-union of the In Heat era line-up, except Jake from The Bomboras/Lords of Altamont played organ cause Jason could not make the trip. Yes, Bruce wrote Fire for Robert Gordon. I knew Robert personally back then. He was going out with Snooky from Manic Panic. Snooky & I had a band together at the time. Robert was the person that introduced me to Rockabilly. Link Wray was in his band. It was pretty awesome to see Link Wray play with him at CBGB's!

John, what band did you play with at Cavestomp 97?

Did Bruce Springsteen actually write "Fire" for Robert Gordon? That'd be interesting to know. It fits him better than the Pointer Sisters.
      >
    • October 21, 2010 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John, what band did you play with at Cavestomp 97? Did Bruce Springsteen actually write "Fire" for Robert Gordon? That'd be interesting to know. It fits him better than the Pointer Sisters.

John Carlucci said:
      In my opinion, Little Steven's heart is in the right place. Yes he calls the show "Underground Garage" and it's not always playing Garage Punk, but he is playing stuff on the radio that you do not hear otherwise.

I played at the very first Cavestomp in NYC in 97. I understand after that, the promoter, John Weiss from the Vipers held more Cavestomp shows on a regular basis, and that is how Little Steven became affiliated with the Garage scene.

I think it's great that someone in the position he is in has helped some of these bands get heard, and make a little money. Before his show, I never heard The Chesterfield Kings, Woggles, Swingin Neckbreakers ,the Dictators or even my own former band, The Fuzztones on the radio. He's helped the careers of bands line King Kahn, Nick Curran, & Prima Donna.

I remember back in 77 when Bruce Springsteen took an interest in the NYC Punk movement, writing songs for Patti Smith, Robert Gordon & even the Ramones. (Hungry Heart was written for the Ramones but The Boss's Mgr convinced him to put it out himself). There were a lot of people in the scene back then who were against Bruce's involvement with the scene then too. I admired him for his support, and I applaud Little Steven for his support as well. Anything that might help keep the spirit of Rock N Roll alive is okay with me. A movie, a radio show, whatever. Seeing younger musician's like Nick Curran & Prima Donna carry the torch for Rock N Roll in the 21st Century is comforting. If I see any more kids embracing hip hop, it will make me sick.

MikeL said:
      Surprise, surprise. When I saw this article, I thought for certain somebody here would get angry about it, if for no other reason than Little Steven's involvement.
    • October 21, 2010 3:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

• October 21, 2010 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Mikel. I appreciate your comments.

MikeL said:
      You are the coolest person at this forum, John Carlucci:)
    • October 21, 2010 11:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You are the coolest person at this forum, John Carlucci:)

John Carlucci said:
      In my opinion, Little Steven's heart is in the right place. Yes he calls the show "Underground Garage" and it's not always playing Garage Punk, but he is playing stuff on the radio that you do not hear otherwise.

I played at the very first Cavestomp in NYC in 97. I understand after that, the promoter, John Weiss from the Vipers held more Cavestomp shows on a regular basis, and that is how Little Steven became affiliated with the Garage scene.

I think it's great that someone in the position he is in has helped some of these bands get heard, and make a little money. Before his show, I never heard The Chesterfield Kings, Woggles, Swingin Neckbreakers ,the Dictators or even my own former band, The Fuzztones on the radio. He's helped the careers of bands line King Kahn, Nick Curran, & Prima Donna.

I remember back in 77 when Bruce Springsteen took an interest in the NYC Punk movement, writing songs for Patti Smith, Robert Gordon & even the Ramones. (Hungry Heart was written for the Ramones but The Boss's Mgr convinced him to put it out himself). There were a lot of people in the scene back then who were against Bruce's involvement with the scene then too. I admired him for his support, and I applaud Little Steven for his support as well. Anything that might help keep the spirit of Rock N Roll alive is okay with me. A movie, a radio show, whatever. Seeing younger musician's like Nick Curran & Prima Donna carry the torch for Rock N Roll in the 21st Century is comforting. If I see any more kids embracing hip hop, it will make me sick.

MikeL said:
      Surprise, surprise. When I saw this article, I thought for certain somebody here would get angry about it, if for no other reason than Little Steven's involvement.
    • October 21, 2010 11:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In my opinion, Little Steven's heart is in the right place. Yes he calls the show "Underground Garage" and it's not always playing Garage Punk, but he is playing stuff on the radio that you do not hear otherwise. I played at the very first Cavestomp in NYC in 97. I understand after that, the promoter, John Weiss from the Vipers held more Cavestomp shows on a regular basis, and that is how Little Steven became affiliated with the Garage scene. I think it's great that someone in the position he is in has helped some of these bands get heard, and make a little money. Before his show, I never heard The Chesterfield Kings, Woggles, Swingin Neckbreakers ,the Dictators or even my own former band, The Fuzztones on the radio. He's helped the careers of bands line King Kahn, Nick Curran, & Prima Donna. I remember back in 77 when Bruce Springsteen took an interest in the NYC Punk movement, writing songs for Patti Smith, Robert Gordon & even the Ramones. (Hungry Heart was written for the Ramones but The Boss's Mgr convinced him to put it out himself). There were a lot of people in the scene back then who were against Bruce's involvement with the scene then too. I admired him for his support, and I applaud Little Steven for his support as well. Anything that might help keep the spirit of Rock N Roll alive is okay with me. A movie, a radio show, whatever. Seeing younger musician's like Nick Curran & Prima Donna carry the torch for Rock N Roll in the 21st Century is comforting. If I see any more kids embracing hip hop, it will make me sick.

MikeL said:
    • October 21, 2010 9:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wait, I almost forgot...I'd also like to see movies made about Lester Bangs and Kim Fowley. I already know of a couple of good actors who could play those parts.

MikeL said:

• October 21, 2010 9:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 21, 2010 9:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, I meant to write "documentaries as opposed TO dramatizations."

MikeL said:

• October 21, 2010 7:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry to hear you feel that way, Rod, because I liked "Eddie and the Cruisers," and I liked the influence of those Springsteen albums on the soundtrack. I will admit that "The Runaways" didn't do a very good job of telling the story, but I liked it visually, and Michael Shannon's portrayal of Kim Fowley made it all worthwhile for me. However, I thought that was interesting what you said about documentaries as opposed dramatizations. That's why I don't want to see a movie made about the Ramones, because I felt the documentary, "End of the Century," did a good enough job of telling the story.

• October 20, 2010 6:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 20, 2010 10:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a couple doc's. on him.
    • October 20, 2010 8:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Roky Erickson documentary, You're Gonna Miss Me, focused a lot on his early days with the Elevators. Great doco, too. I was lucky enough to see it in a theater when it came out.

SarahJayne said:
      They should just make it about the 13th Floor Elevators instead. Drugs, drugs, drugs, cops, rock & roll, Janis Joplin, drugs, crazy people, the Austin psych scene, drugs, cave dwelling, drugs, and drugs. All the bases covered right there.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 20, 2010 7:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds cool to me:) I've heard Roky Erickson is quite a character.

SarahJayne said:
      They should just make it about the 13th Floor Elevators instead. Drugs, drugs, drugs, cops, rock & roll, Janis Joplin, drugs, crazy people, the Austin psych scene, drugs, cave dwelling, drugs, and drugs. All the bases covered right there.
    • October 19, 2010 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 19, 2010 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw it and it rules! Lotsa kickass footage of the 5 at their peak and some sad shit when they were circling the drain.

Gunther Toody said:
      MC5: A TRUE TESTIMONIAL is one of the best, if not THE BEST, rock and roll documentaries ever made. It is out there, available, if you look....(HINT: bit torrent).

TeenFink said:
      Speaking of rock-and-roll movies, will we ever get to see MC5 * A True Testimonial?
    • October 19, 2010 10:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MC5: A TRUE TESTIMONIAL is one of the best, if not THE BEST, rock and roll documentaries ever made. It is out there, available, if you look....(HINT: bit torrent).

TeenFink said:
      Speaking of rock-and-roll movies, will we ever get to see MC5 * A True Testimonial?
    • October 19, 2010 7:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I never said that "Velvet Goldmine" was historically accurate. I knew watching it the first time that it was a highly fictionalized version of the relationship between Bowie and Iggy. However, I still enjoyed it mainly because it was so visually stunning, which is very fitting for a movie about glam. I loved the soundtrack as well, including the songs that were meant to sound like Bowie songs from that era. On a side note, Barney Hoskyns did hint in his book, "Glam: Bowie, Bolan, and the Glitter Rock Revolution," that Bowie may have had a fling with Marc Bolan, so maybe Todd Haynes took that idea and turned it into a gay romance between Kurt Wild and Brian Slade.

Here how "Velvet Goldmine" got me into garage rock...A few months after the movie played here in Pittsburgh, a local music writer named Ed Masley wrote an article about glam rock, and he mentioned an upcoming glam rock tribute show that would be held at the Decade. I went to the show, which consisted of a house band named Spaceball Ricochet and a series of local performers singing their favorite glam songs. Michael Kastelic of the Cynics was one of those performers, and he sang "Search and Destroy," "Ziggy Stardust," and "Rock'n'Roll Suicide." At that time, the Cynics were on hiatus, and Michael was singing in a band called HoneyBurst. I saw HoneyBurst later on, and I liked them, and I also saw Michael perform at a second glam show, along with a David Bowie tribute show in which he sang the entire "Ziggy Stardust" album. I became friends with him during this time, and I saw him perform with the Cynics for the first time in June 2000, which was my first exposure to garage rock.

BTW, when I first listened to the Underground Garage, Little Steven played "Lookin' for a Kiss" by the New York Dolls, which delighted me, and more recently he got me into Prima Donna, a very cool glam revival band. That is why I like the UG, because they play old stuff that I like (The Dolls are my favorite glam band), along with turning me on to new stuff. Since I was fairly new to garage rock at the time, I really didn't have any preconceived notions of what he should or shouldn't play. That is why I view these things differently than you.

Dana V. Hatch said:

MikeL said:
      BTW, I like all of these suggestions for making movies about real bands, but then you run into the problem of people being such sticklers for accuracy, along with how the story itself is told, i.e. it was too sugar coated, too dramatized, to hokey, too grim, too much emphasis on one thing or another, too little emphasis on one thing or another, etc. Maybe this is the reason why producers and directors prefer to make movies about fictional bands.

BTW, did anyone here ever see "Velvet Goldmine"? If so, tell me what you thought of it. That movie led to my discovery of garage rock, and I'll tell you that story if you're interested (Hey, stop snoring back there! This is my life I'm talking about).

Yeah, I saw that lie of a movie. Todd Haynes changed the names of Bowie and Iggy so he could film his fantasy of their relationship but all concerned say Bowie and Iggy were friends not lovers (Angie B. says "my question would be, who'd be the bottom?"). Not only that but the Iggy character's lines don't sound like anything the Ig would ever say. The character is much more similar to Kurt Cobain or some emo pussy. Still, hearing "Needle Through a Camel's Eye" blasting in Sensurround was great and if the movie led you to dig garage rock, that's awesome.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel