Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What was THE record that got you hot for garage rock 'n' roll?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 8, 2011 8:57 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Hey, you do know that you can listen to archived "Wayback Machine" episodes, don't you?

Andy O.B.O. said:
      Easy, Songs the Lord Taught Us. It also got me really into rockabilly. Then I read about how they'd listen to local dj's playing music in Ohio, so I thought I'd try to do the same where I lived, in St. Louis. That's when I found the Wayback Machine. After that came stuff like the Oblivians, The Makers, etc.
    • September 8, 2011 6:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Easy, Songs the Lord Taught Us. It also got me really into rockabilly. Then I read about how they'd listen to local dj's playing music in Ohio, so I thought I'd try to do the same where I lived, in St. Louis. That's when I found the Wayback Machine. After that came stuff like the Oblivians, The Makers, etc.
    • September 7, 2011 6:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The one that sticks in my head was the track "crackin up" by The Wig. Came off an LP called 'The Wig Live at the Jade Room"  Thats what got me hooked on all the 60's garage/psych stuff back in the early 80's.
    • August 11, 2011 1:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It would have to be the first time I heard Plan 9 - Dealing With The Dead.  Freakin' awesome and opened up another world to a kid from Kansas in NH for college in 1986.  The Lyres too.  Of course this took me to the roots and what can I say, I am still a Garage Punk these many many years later.  Garage rock and roll runs through my veins, brotha's and sista's.
    • August 11, 2011 11:06 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, the Remains are great! Have you seen the documentary on them? I'm hopin' to eventually catch that soon...One of my fave tunes by them is "I Ain't Got You"...

Ghislaine Korb said:
      well...for quiet a while i had been wondering who were these guys singing so beautifully ''but you leave me alone--to cry on my own--thats why you got a heart thats made of stone''...when i got the joy to discover who--i think---are the best,the ones and only...THE REMAINS!!!!All their songs are hits!''Once before'',''Me right now''...Cant sound better than that in terms of garage r-n-r,can you?they are Kings!
    • August 11, 2011 10:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

well...for quiet a while i had been wondering who were these guys singing so beautifully ''but you leave me alone--to cry on my own--thats why you got a heart thats made of stone''...when i got the joy to discover who--i think---are the best,the ones and only...THE REMAINS!!!!All their songs are hits!''Once before'',''Me right now''...Cant sound better than that in terms of garage r-n-r,can you?they are Kings!
    • August 11, 2011 9:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here are the Sonics!!!
    • August 10, 2011 7:35 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah that Candy Snatchers LP is a classic from the first track to the last! And I friggin' love the M-80's...And yeah, the Hex Dispensers are the shit!

The Hydeouts said:
      A couple albums all around the same time----punk rock/ rock n roll leading to more 60's garage and obscurity. Teengenerate "Get Action" and "Smash Hits" was crucial to my exploration into other Crypt stuff (Devil Dogs, BFTG comps, NEW Bomb Turks...**Candy Snatchers S/T LP on safe house (ya know the one where Larry's bleeding on the cover...M80s RED album--got me interested in the Cynics, tell tale hearts, vipers.***off topic--- By the way, the hex dispensers "winchester mystery house, " is the best record I have purchased since the carbonas 1st LP. UNREAL..If ya don't own it...get it.
    • August 10, 2011 6:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The first garage record i ever heard was Wooly Bully by Sam The Sham & The Pharoas when i was about seven years, but then i just thought it was a funny song. Anyway, when i was 14, my dad introduced me to the Electric Prunes and the Blues Magoos. I loved 'em both, so later the same year, i got the Nuggets box, and that was really when i got into garage.
    • August 10, 2011 5:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A couple albums all around the same time----punk rock/ rock n roll leading to more 60's garage and obscurity. Teengenerate "Get Action" and "Smash Hits" was crucial to my exploration into other Crypt stuff (Devil Dogs, BFTG comps, NEW Bomb Turks...**Candy Snatchers S/T LP on safe house (ya know the one where Larry's bleeding on the cover...M80s RED album--got me interested in the Cynics, tell tale hearts, vipers.***off topic--- By the way, the hex dispensers "winchester mystery house, " is the best record I have purchased since the carbonas 1st LP. UNREAL..If ya don't own it...get it.
    • August 10, 2011 1:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Word! Sort of the same thing happened to me, but instead I was disillusioned with grunge and Mexican rock, or alternative rock for that matter. Punk was great, but the Mono Men's sound was a breadth of fresh air. Just straight up loud guitars and a feel good vibe.

Andrew Malcolm said:
      After being disillusioned with punk scene for a few years, and not succumbing to the whole "hippie" thing that everyone was getting into, this album was a breath of fresh air. Grunge was great, but I needed something more. "Wrecker" was honest, straightforward, and simple. But at the same time it totally ROCKED OUT!!! 
    • August 9, 2011 2:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Mono Men - Stop Draggin' Me Down
    • August 9, 2011 12:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Surfin Bird or Wooly Bully.
    • August 8, 2011 1:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

first thing I heard that sounding anything remotely garage or surf was the Walk Don't Run single by The Ventures. I was hooked.
    • August 6, 2011 5:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked garage rock before I even knew what garage rock was. Before I even know what rock really was.

I was about 8 years old and my favorite tv show was 'Tour of Duty' and I just loved a lot of the music from that show.

My parents and grandparents picked up on that and I got several compilation records.

The first I got was by the Rolling Stones featuring 'Paint It Black'

Tour of Duty was very popular in Holland & Belgium. Paint It Black actually became a number #1 hit record again in 1990 because of it. 

I also got the offical Tour of Duty compilation albums as wel as other "Vietnam" themed compilations. These featured the more well known garage rock hits like Psychotic Reaction, Wooly Bully, etc

I liked those songs the most, although I just thought of it als rock 'n roll. I cared less about the 'softer' songs on those records.

I seriously got into music years later during the punk revival of the nineties. I got into punk rock, especially Bad Religion. I started checking out more from Epitaph Records. Back than they had a lot of garage punk bands on their roster like New Bomb Turks & The Humpers.

• August 4, 2011 10:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ditto

Hank Cockpit said:
      Mummies - Never Been Caught
    • August 4, 2011 10:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dirty Water was a complete family favorite!  But I love the Flamin Groovies as well......

• August 4, 2011 7:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was born in 1967 and I know how you feel.  I hate that I missed out on the garage rock and British Invasion era (but my luck , I would have been drafted).  But you started off with some good items.  EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE (plus anything related like She's Just 15 and Paperback Life) and HEADCOATS DOWN are my two favorites by those groups.  The other Headcoats albums are great but they really just follow the formula set by that first album (which is kind of just following in the footsteps of other Childish items) but Thee Headcoats were my first purchases of Billy Childish records and I had to work my way backwards as well as keep up on anything else that followed . 

Zentralheizung of Death said:

Born in 1987 i was always pissed i couldnt catch some of the so called grunge movement - but anyways i liked it - and i always got specially hooked by MUDHONEY (i prefere EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE & MARCH TO FUZZ b sides) - they had something in their sound that made them different to the other "grunge" bands - but i couldn´t say what it was - something more rough and "we don´t give a shit" kind of feeling.

Another point was they where using the word FUZZ quite a lot - and the songs which included that word happened to be my favourites - so i started researching - and it all started for me -

they also did a supercool cover of just 15 by the headcoats, their HEADCOATS DOWN lp actually was my next step into the garagewonderland...

I gotta say i really miss that feeling of following a hidden track into the deep swamps of music-history - and feeling like the first to discover hidden treasures, even to discover whole new genres just by reading those little informations on the LP covers .......KICKS JUST GOT EASIER TO FIND!

• August 4, 2011 5:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sonics have love will travel got me when I heard it on a late night rock show in Belgium called Stercock ,  I was 11 and was not aware this kind of cool even existed.  life changing tune.
    • August 4, 2011 1:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Born in 1987 i was always pissed i couldnt catch some of the so called grunge movement - but anyways i liked it - and i always got specially hooked by MUDHONEY (i prefere EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FUDGE & MARCH TO FUZZ b sides) - they had something in their sound that made them different to the other "grunge" bands - but i couldn´t say what it was - something more rough and "we don´t give a shit" kind of feeling.

Another point was they where using the word FUZZ quite a lot - and the songs which included that word happened to be my favourites - so i started researching - and it all started for me -

they also did a supercool cover of just 15 by the headcoats, their HEADCOATS DOWN lp actually was my next step into the garagewonderland...

I gotta say i really miss that feeling of following a hidden track into the deep swamps of music-history - and feeling like the first to discover hidden treasures, even to discover whole new genres just by reading those little informations on the LP covers .......KICKS JUST GOT EASIER TO FIND!

• August 3, 2011 11:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the LP I had around since I was a kid was Cheap Thrills by Big Brother so I was into acid rock and then metal but I was working with an older guy one summer when I was about 13 who argued that garage was better. I was successfully converted but not all at once - first he turned me on to higher quality rock than I was used to on the radio, cassettes of Sabbath, Johnny Winter, Motorhead, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, ZZ Top and obscure bands like Stray, Pink Fairies, Bloodrock, Bob Seger System. Then when I trusted his judgment some, he gave me cassettes containing:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the Easybeats, Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels, bubble gum, Mummies, MC5

That was that.

Eventually I got in bands and discovered WFMU, Norton Records, and got into music history, etc.

One tune that always jars me into astral time travel is "Uptight Tonight" by Flash + The Memphis Casuals [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS38FDJffsk] but the haunting, plodding sincerity in "Truth Gotta Stand" by The Luv'd Ones makes me feel like every song I ever wrote is crass, hokey and a waste of everyone's time.

• August 2, 2011 7:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper's radio show....... need I say more?
    • July 31, 2011 3:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It was hearing 'Come on Kid' by kenny and the kasuals in 1985.
    • July 31, 2011 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" by the Electric Prunes did it for me. I had always been fond of sixties rock, but I heard it on the radio one night in my teens and I was fascinated. I mentioned it at a drum shop I frequented, and the chop-worshipping salesman laughed about it, but I knew cool when I heard it, and started picking up individual Nuggets volumes when I could. I finally got the box set when it came out, and the rest was history.
    • July 31, 2011 3:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sonics best rock n roll band of all time id say

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel