Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Myspace Alternatives?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 14, 2011 9:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Howdy,

Myspace seems a beat dog as of late, what else are you guys using ?

Love,

~Thomas

• February 28, 2011 9:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi all!

I totally agree with a) the fact that myspace sucks and b) THIS here is the best alternative.

But I also must say that for us garage punk fans/musicians/bands in Germany, the Hideout isn't too effective, for it's still not known that much. So for networking in Germany stuff we still have to use that myspace crap thing - we just have the most friends there, first of all the venues and promoters and so on.

So from time to time I have to check myspace, even though we try to promote the Hideout there pretty much, and when asked where people can listen to our songs, I lead them here instead of myspace.

But just to make me feel better I've got to rant a bit: Jesus, myspace sucks soooo fucking much. All the ads would be bearable, if the performance of the site wasn't so bad. But since their last update nothing works anymore, everything is just getting worse and worse, and those stupid ads for stupid music, and it takes ages till the sites load, and I can't find anything anymore, and you only get generic and contentless answers that are NO HELP AT ALL, and I HATE IT THAT WE SET UP OUR FIRST BASE THERE!!!

Feeling better now, thanks.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• February 27, 2011 7:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree Having all my stuff here is great and It's just a cool site to explore as a whole.  especially good for those of us who's web building skills are nil:)

Brother Panti-Christ said:

THIS is the best possibility for a Myspace replacement.

All the ADs are from Garage Punk users... You can upload a shitload of music here. Pictures and videos too. The forum is excellent here. The chat room works damn good! What more do you need???

If we would have to balls to turn our backs on all these commercial sites and start using this amazing grass roots network that Kopper set up for us WE can have a really exciting place to log into on a daily basis! It's up to us to make the HIDEOUT the coolest site on the planet for real rockers!

as always, hats off to Kopper!!

-Bro. Pantichrist

• February 21, 2011 8:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

THIS is the best possibility for a Myspace replacement.

All the ADs are from Garage Punk users... You can upload a shitload of music here. Pictures and videos too. The forum is excellent here. The chat room works damn good! What more do you need???

If we would have to balls to turn our backs on all these commercial sites and start using this amazing grass roots network that Kopper set up for us WE can have a really exciting place to log into on a daily basis! It's up to us to make the HIDEOUT the coolest site on the planet for real rockers!

as always, hats off to Kopper!!

-Bro. Pantichrist

• February 20, 2011 4:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Quit plugging already, *Tommy Carlesss is currently listening to J Vapour's  www.wetribbons.com podcast.  ( I really am, right this second ! ) 

~T 

j vapour said:

Myspace is now bunk. Bandcamp is great, and it's easy to search by genre to find bands you may like. Lots of great stuff on there. But it's really just a distribution thing. I think having a website (even just a blog —I'm a fan of blogger, or tumblr) with links to wherever else you might be online (www.theliquidvapours.com). 

I've also been using www.virb.com for my work site. It's $10/mth but you can upload as many songs, videos, photos you  want. Has blogging features, but it's more of a full on website. And gels well with any other social media things you got going on. www.modcreative.ca

—j

• February 20, 2011 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Myspace is now bunk. Bandcamp is great, and it's easy to search by genre to find bands you may like. Lots of great stuff on there. But it's really just a distribution thing. I think having a website (even just a blog —I'm a fan of blogger, or tumblr) with links to wherever else you might be online (www.theliquidvapours.com). 

I've also been using www.virb.com for my work site. It's $10/mth but you can upload as many songs, videos, photos you  want. Has blogging features, but it's more of a full on website. And gels well with any other social media things you got going on. www.modcreative.ca

—j

• February 19, 2011 5:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nuff said.

whatwave dave said:
      Fuck the rest, Garage Punk Hideout's the BEST!!

Here for the stir

• February 17, 2011 10:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We're on all the sites, but this is the only one that feels like family.  The bands in NYC are starting to know each other cuz of this site.  Hope that's the case everywhere.  We redirected our main website to our Hideout page.  The other sites are about screaming "look at me!" as loud as you can.  This one is about interacting with similar bands.  That's what makes it better.
    • February 16, 2011 10:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

besides.. myspace? THE HIDEOUT!

facebook slave? not me.

• February 16, 2011 3:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In my area bands started using Stereokiller.
    • February 16, 2011 10:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is why bands need ONE website where they link to all of their other networking sites. That way if you search for a band on Google you'll find their website, not just a Myspace page which could be out of date. Take The Nevermores, for example: http://thenevermores.troubleinrivercity.com

That site has their Hideout music player, plus links to Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Last.fm, eBandaGoGo, and their schedule is also there so you don't have to go bouncing around various other sites to find when they're playing next. That's the way it ought to be done!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 14, 2011 4:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuck the rest, Garage Punk Hideout's the BEST!!
    • February 14, 2011 3:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey people, be creative again and build your own websites with your own trash design, like people did years ago! fuck this myspace, social media shit - do your own shit. Like in the good old days where link directories like SEARCH & DESTROY! where the place to go to check out new bands and labels...

BTW: Everyone's going to Facebook now, but in one or two years it's the same again like with myspace.

• February 14, 2011 2:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's definitely different now than four or five years ago.  Myspace was THE place to discover new bands, labels, book shows, find show listings etc... Now it seems there are five or six different places you need to go to, there is not one definitive site or place.  It seems like it's also hard to maintain multiple sites as far as show listings, news etc.  I find that a lot of the myspace pages are out of date, and i have to bounce around to several sites just to find up to date info on a band or label. 

It seems like things are going back to how they were in the olden days.  I'm finding out about shows/new bands through word of mouth now more so than the past few years.  

• February 14, 2011 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Hideout is great (obviously), and we found we reached a lot of people who liked the music, rather than just wanting to add to their 'friends'

We tried ReverbNation, but the whole "If you 'Fan' us, we'll 'Fan' you" thing was so puke making we shut it down.

Bandcamp is really only designed to allow people to listen to and download music (either for free or payment)and nothing else. BUT we have found it to work very well.  The thing we really liked was that you could set up a 'bundle' download, (Say) an EPs worth of tracks and a PDF of the sleeve liner, all downloaded with one click.

Staying on MySpace 'til it folds.............

We found a Last FM page for us just turned up (?)...........

• February 14, 2011 12:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MySpace has definitely gone to shit. Before I built my own band's website, I was using muxtape. I liked the simple layout and it is geared towards bands. Facebook is fine for the social networking aspect. You can indeed put music up there. I just don't think it's really ideal for a band.

I have some friends who swear by Reverb Nation, but it's all just too much nonsense and gadgets and other crap for me. I haven't used bandcamp, but I have heard it's good. I have been meaning to start a page there.

And of course you should set up a page here.

-n8
    • February 14, 2011 12:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A little obvious, and a little sassy   ; )

I was thinking people would volunteer info and opinions on bandcamp or maybe something I havn't heard of yet.  

Can you post / play music on facebook ?  I still don't have one.

~T

kopper said:

Um, besides Facebook? How about the Hideout? Or is that too obvious?
    • February 14, 2011 11:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Um, besides Facebook? How about the Hideout? Or is that too obvious?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel