Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What is your favorite grunge band from that "scene"? Are there a

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 23, 2011 7:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My favorite grunge band is, without any doubt, Mudhoney.

For the underrated/obscure I'd say Die Kreuzen, a grunge band before the grunge era...

• August 26, 2011 10:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and listen to pierced arrows, their new band!  just as awesome...

The Rex Arms said:
      dead moon were a grunge band from portland.  you can find their 7" in jukeboxes there.

• August 7, 2011 10:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about Cat Butt. They weren't around very long, and were very tongue-in-cheek. If you have seen the movie "Hype," where they showed you the family tree, and the incestuous cross-overs to other bands, this group is what they were talking about. There are too many cross-overs to list. On the spine of the lp "Journey To The Center Of," where the name of the album would be, it says "Special thanks to the girlfriends of Swallow, Mudhoney, Tad, & Nirvana." I like that they put an inside joke on the spine of the record. Classic!!

Besides Dead Moon, who has already been mentioned, one of my favorites was Gravel. They had two albums on Estrus, and were a favorite of Dave Crider's wife. He got non-stop shit from the garage rock "purists" for putting out their records and having them, and Dead Moon, play at Garage Shock. Gravel sounds like driving on a highway through the woods, in the great northwest. I highly recommend getting the two albums, or any of the five singles, they are all great!!!

KK Dirty Money said:

I think Mudhoney was probably one of my favorites from that era/location (even though they were pretty much just your typical garage rock band, but they got labeled "grunge"). 

Does anyone have any "obscure" bands worth mentioning that got that "grunge" label (obscure meaning not Nirvana, Soundgarden, Melvins, Pearljam, Alice In Chains, etc. or any other well-known 90's Seattle bands; they were all pretty good, but they are household names, whereas I'm looking for bands a little more under the radar.)

• July 18, 2011 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like Tad, The Chemistry Sets, Clown Alley, Seaweed, Blood Circus, Mudhoney, Jesse Bernstein, Dickless, Screaming Trees (although they're somewhat mainstream), Mother Love Bone (same because of their appearance on the Singles OST), Babes in Toyland, and L7.
    • July 16, 2011 7:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dead Moon, all the way!
    • July 9, 2011 11:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really, really like Tad, Malfunkshun, and Green River.  All incredibly underrated.
    • June 20, 2011 6:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dead moon were a grunge band from portland.  you can find their 7" in jukeboxes there.

• April 28, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think Mudhoney was probably one of my favorites from that era/location (even though they were pretty much just your typical garage rock band, but they got labeled "grunge"). 

Does anyone have any "obscure" bands worth mentioning that got that "grunge" label (obscure meaning not Nirvana, Soundgarden, Melvins, Pearljam, Alice In Chains, etc. or any other well-known 90's Seattle bands; they were all pretty good, but they are household names, whereas I'm looking for bands a little more under the radar.)

• April 28, 2011 8:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like Babes in Toyland. Kats screaming vocals setting off the music briliantly.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel