Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Great Bands From Detroit?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 25, 2011 4:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The ones that signed to Sub Pop?

ash said:
      Big Chief..? perhaps not garage or punk, but definitely from Detroit. and pretty damn good!
    • April 25, 2011 4:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big Chief..? perhaps not garage or punk, but definitely from Detroit. and pretty damn good!
    • April 25, 2011 11:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lili's 21 is now called The Painted Lady (still same kind of vibe: very divey and a lot of no-goodniks hang out there; lots of punk, rockabilly, garage bands play). My band, Las Drogas, just played the Hamtramck Blowout there this year. The Polish Muslims hardly play anymore, but the recordings and band members are still lurking around out there. Hamtramck is the best/most vibrant neighborhood for live music in the whole Detroit area. There are some other great venues, but when it comes to a town that you can barhop to several good local shows all in one night, Hamtramck has always been the place.

Rev Velveteen Sly said:

Some of those guys still play in the Polish Muslims, who have a couple CDs out. Art Lyzak's mom Lili ran one of the first and best punk clubs in Hamtramck, called Lili's of course.

Brian T. Kirchner said:

The band that ruled the alternative scene in the mid-'70s to the early '80s was The Mutants. Unfortunately, all they left behind was two singles and a cut on a Detroit comp. A later incarnation of the band released a six-song e.p. Humorous rock and roll similar to the early Dictators, though they date back to the late '60s. J. Kordosh of Creem magazine was the bass player(John Amore). They are quite possibly my favorite band of all time.
    • April 25, 2011 11:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Bantam Rooster were originally from Lansing, Mi (I think, but did all their shows and stuff and/or relocated to Detroit) Jim Diamond (Ghetto Recorders) would play in Bantam Rooster sometimes (as kind of like a guest musician, etc.)

Will said:

They weren't originally from Detroit but didn't Bantam Rooster move there?

• April 24, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Some of those guys still play in the Polish Muslims, who have a couple CDs out. Art Lyzak's mom Lili ran one of the first and best punk clubs in Hamtramck, called Lili's of course.

Brian T. Kirchner said:

The band that ruled the alternative scene in the mid-'70s to the early '80s was The Mutants. Unfortunately, all they left behind was two singles and a cut on a Detroit comp. A later incarnation of the band released a six-song e.p. Humorous rock and roll similar to the early Dictators, though they date back to the late '60s. J. Kordosh of Creem magazine was the bass player(John Amore). They are quite possibly my favorite band of all time.
    • April 24, 2011 2:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hysteric Narcotics -- one of Dave Feeny's earlier bands [Tempermill Studios.]
    • April 24, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dogs
    • April 23, 2011 9:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 23, 2011 6:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They weren't originally from Detroit but didn't Bantam Rooster move there?

• April 19, 2011 10:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, the Joe Dirty tunes are my favorites so far, too. 

Is this the same Joe Dirty from the Dirtys (from Port Huron)?

I love that band.

Stacy Ann said:

Looks like you guys have just about everything covered.  Check out www.beehiverecording.com, free downloads. A friend and veteran of the detroit garage rock scene, Steve Nawara, recently started this recording company.  A particular favorite of mine is The Joe Dirty Show.

• April 18, 2011 2:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

KK Dirty Money said:
      Yes, good pick. The Amino Acids are the top surf-punk band in the area.
      --------
      Amino Acids ... hell yeah ... Robble!
    • April 13, 2011 10:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks, Stacy Ann, for sharing the Beehive site. There are some great bands on there (and who doesn't love free downloads of non-crappy music?).

You're right, though, in that we've pretty-well covered just about everything.

Now, we'd wind up going down the road that the Boss Mustangs did and start naming "smaller" and/or "newer" Detroit bands that haven't quite blazed a huge wake yet. We could compile a huge list of these great Detroit bands. 

The Ruiners and Bad Indians are two good ones from Mustangs' list that I agree put out some very cool music in the GP vein (plus, both bands reside in my little town of Ypsilanti quite often: the town Iggy Pop grew up in).

Stacy Ann said:

Looks like you guys have just about everything covered.  Check out www.beehiverecording.com, free downloads. A friend and veteran of the detroit garage rock scene, Steve Nawara, recently started this recording company.  A particular favorite of mine is The Joe Dirty Show.

• April 12, 2011 8:26 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Here's some more past & present : Cinecyde, The Torpedos, The Mutants, Blue Snaggletooth, Bad Indians, The Blue Squares, The Ruiners, The 3-D Invisibles, The Up, Sonic's Rendezvous Band
    • April 12, 2011 8:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 12, 2011 7:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Terrible Twos is cool, but they are not a two piece. They are like a whole gang of hipsters. Decent music, though. I wouldn't rate them at the top quite yet, though. They have a ways to go, in my humble opinion. Subourbon Son, from nearby Port Huron, is a close and personal friend of mine; we've played many shows together (hell, I recorded/engineered/packaged his first full-length recording). He is very talented, and a great show with good music. He is what I'd call rockabilly garage punk. I'll let him know that you mentioned him, he'll get a kick out of it. If you dig his stuff, check out my band, Las Drogas (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Las-Drogas/136540006382577) We're also at myspace.com/lasdrogasrock thanks for the support!
    • April 11, 2011 10:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, good pick. The Amino Acids are the top surf-punk band in the area.
    • April 11, 2011 10:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the amino acids!
    • April 11, 2011 10:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Somebody took the last Death reissue at my record shop ( Born Bad in Paris) which there were supposed to keep it for me :(

i need to have this one ! is anyone saw them live??

• April 10, 2011 9:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There used to be a great band a few years back called The Piranhas (their recordings are on In The Red), but they've since imploded.
      They were very Hunches-esque and fairly edgy, and put on a great live show.
      Check them out, too.
    • April 9, 2011 8:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

doubt this helps but...Detroit had amazing underground Funk / Soul in the late 60's and early 70's!
    • April 9, 2011 8:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And Dark Carnival and the New Order, too.

Erske Storsvedja said:
      The "supergroup" Destroy All Monsters were pretty cool. Featured members from MC5 and The Stooges among others.
    • April 9, 2011 5:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, I forgot to mention The Punks!
    • April 8, 2011 5:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Timmy Vulgar, the dude from Human Eye, Clone Defects, etc. has a bunch of different bands he dabbles in (or has dabbled in over the years).
      And yes, with some research, you'll find that a lot of these guys went on to form side projects or after-projects (a la Destroy All Monsters, etc.)

Also, I'd be remiss not to mention The Sights. They are a great band.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help you out. I am down in the trenches of the Detroit scene here and can even help you line up some interviews, or even just help you get permission to use some of this music via the bands.
    • April 8, 2011 4:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow. Thanks. I also completely forgot about Clone Defects and Human Eye.
    • April 8, 2011 11:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The "supergroup" Destroy All Monsters were pretty cool. Featured members from MC5 and The Stooges among others.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel