Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Mastering/Plating for Vinyl

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 1, 2013 1:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey,

The Swamis are starting to record their second record, and hopefully this time around we will be releasing vinyl. Probably going to go for LP, but a 7" or 10" are not out of the range of possibilities.  So before we have a bunch of finished tracks, trying to figure out our options regarding vinyl mastering/ plating of a record.  I have released 4 records, prior to the formation of the swamis.  But, in every instance I have or contracted someone to master for vinyl release and the pressing plant (URP, and a couple others) have done in house mastering/plating.  Wondering if anyone has used a company or individual that does a great job doing the plating (metal parts).  Not really looking for mastering the audio alone, because I would like the person mastering our record to be the individual plating our record.  Make sense?  Can you recommend anyone that offers this kind of services?  Just trying to figure these things out, when I mix the tracks I can follow the audio specifications (ie. most want highest peak at -3db) of the person mastering/plating.  Thanks for the help!

• February 1, 2013 9:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you. I will check him out!

• February 1, 2013 6:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Depending where you are of course... I do all my lacquers with terrazoni in paris and I know he does plates as well - he worked for decca for 40 years - the company's name is Parelies and he is red hot. You give him an in mastered version and his touch is pure magic
    • February 1, 2013 5:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yea, I not necessarily opposed to having a person master, and another plate...but I would prefer it be within the same company, or an already established relationship.  Really, I'm looking for a very good vinyl plating service because essentially whomever is plating my music to vinyl, essentially is mastering (rendering the audio to its shape) Ultimately, this person/facility has a fair amount of control over the tonal sound of your record.  Can also affect the perceived volume of the audio material once on wax.  I'm still probably going to master myself or have another engineer master my record, but I've always been curious about this approach.  Thanks for responding!

• February 1, 2013 4:23 PM CST
    • Untitled

I have no eye deer, but I wonder why you think it would be an advantage to have the plater do the mastering. It's not going to make any difference if they or someone else does it, is it? Just seems like you're limiting your options.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel