Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Seeking advice for new album promotions, record reviews, label s

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 2, 2013 11:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

*Importantly, I am not trying to shamelessly self promote here! Not trying to get you to purchase my record or anything.  Rather, I am inquiring information related to promoting a self released album.  Suggestions related to where to send tangible items or digital files for record review, gargage punk music blogging sites, active record labels, podcaster submissions, or any contacts/connections of any kind are greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your help!

Much has changed in the world of promoting your band's music since I last owned a working computer, and released a record. Since the demise of myspace (yeah it still exists, but not to the same capacity), I kinda feel lost of the various places to actually try to connect with other bands, labels, reviewers.  Of course, I have not embraced facebook until most recently, so I'm sure this has something to do with it.  So, in the past 4-5 years, the social media landscape has exploded: blogs, reviews, etc.. Some record labels are still thriving, some in idle, and some have disappeared.  I can say, the Garage Punk Hideout, has certainly helped my previous band, with meeting bands and cool tunes, and the comp series brought me a lot of attention.  With that, I return to your great advice for getting an album reviewed, blogged about, podcast, performing, label submissions.

So, where should I send my music for the possibility of review? Any blogging review sites you follow? Podcasts info on GP Hideout/ or elsewhere that accept submissions.  What record labels do you currently purchase records from or follow their band's releases?  What current bands do you listen to that actually tour in US or elsewhere? Any other types of print or digital sites related to garage punk music?

Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated!  The Great Dismal Swamis thank you!

• February 14, 2013 2:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx for checking us out, Matt.  I have submitted our album for review with Get Bent.  I appreciate the advice.  Cheers, Jason

• February 13, 2013 2:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Get Bent is my main source for current garage punk/psych/lofi stuff. They are pretty friendly too.

http://www.getbent.fm/

I like what I've heard so far.

• February 12, 2013 10:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sure! Really enjoy sharing music with podcasters.  Thank you!

• February 8, 2013 9:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Found another podcast on Wolf Wolf's Face Book in Scotland. Interested?
    • February 6, 2013 8:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool. Thanks for the links!

• February 5, 2013 6:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When we were last in Japan we played a gig with Wolf Wolf (Switzerland) who put me onto FatCat  Radio. They’re in Illinois somewhere. I’ve written to them myself, FatCat Radio, but they’ve not gotten back to me.

An Australian page is www.i94bar.com. I know the… editor? Whatever the title is for a web page magazine editor. I’ll e-mail you a direct postal address. My address is turbonun@gmail.com. If you want to give Australia a serious stab, I’ll compile a list of radio stations and programs for you to hit here.

Thanks for the kudos on our You Tube page. I’ll check out yours later today. As to the little quasi-documentary, I always tell bands to film everything. You can easily amass a film out of footage you take. Against Me’s “We’re Never Going Home”, Lucero’s “Dreaming of America and other, countless, films, too numerous to mention start out as an extra party just taking footage of you hanging out. Look at the one Bob Gruen made of the first trip the New York Dolls took the your west coast back in the early seventies. (I forget the title but I do have it at home.) It’s well worth it, cheap and damn easy.

• February 5, 2013 3:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really digging your youtube channel.. Like that behind the scene recording aspect.  I would really like to play with your group.  Very rockn stuff indeed!

• February 5, 2013 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Our youtube channel has been created! http://www.youtube.com/user/greatdismalswamis

Yeah, feel free to share our track death mansions or whatever else I post.  I'll do the same for you.

Never, heard of fat cat radio.. checkin out pages ..now! Thanks!

• February 5, 2013 2:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Have you heard of FatCat radio? Also got you an address here in Aus.
    • February 4, 2013 7:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Do you have a You Tube channel and is there a clip up there for the song you'll be using as a single? Also, if I may, offer to swap with over seas bands. Bunt tour Japan annually and we've helped out three Japanese bands here in Australia. I'm also going to put up a few radio contacts for you plus a few web pages that, I guess, are e-magazines. If you have a few minutes, our channel is www.youtube.com/BuntTV. Let me know what you think.
    • February 3, 2013 9:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My pleasure. : )
    • February 3, 2013 8:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow! Thanks for your help!

• February 3, 2013 7:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, mate. We have a few albums and have just started returning to the early sixties single-every-few-months business model by punching out one track at a time and running them as free down load. I need to do this myself for various reasons. I've printed off your original start of this conversation and will get back to you soon. I have a list of Australian and a few European pages to send you.
    • February 3, 2013 8:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry, I should have included that necessary information in the post. The Great Dismal Swamis are from Norfolk, Virginia USA.

• February 3, 2013 8:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Where are you guys based? We're in Australia.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel