Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Anyone know anything about creating smartphone apps?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 27, 2011 11:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If someone would like to make an app for the Hideout for smart phones, let me know by replying below. I am not the owner of a smart phone nor do I even use these things, so I know nothing about making an app for the site that would allow people to view our stuff easier than the regular old Web view.

Basically, if you know ANYTHING about doing this, and can do it quickly and cheaply, then you've got the green light from me to make one for the site. I'd appreciate any help I could get with this as I realize it would help drive traffic here.

Thanks!

kopper

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 28, 2012 2:04 AM CST
    • Untitled

Yep, odd alright... back to the drawing board I guess...

• February 27, 2012 12:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, it appears that "Andyuzz," the guy who was supposedly working on one of these for us, suddenly left the Hideout. No word on why he ditched us. Kinda odd, huh?

• November 16, 2011 5:13 PM CST
    • Untitled

Yes... very confused...

Mardy Pune said:

yeah, I do remember that discussion. A bit of a painful conclusion after all that work!

I'm going to download this and have a look at it: Android SDK

I'm not making any promises though, I'll probably end up more confused than I already am after looking at it!

• October 13, 2011 8:44 PM CDT
    • Untitled

yeah, I do remember that discussion. A bit of a painful conclusion after all that work!

I'm going to download this and have a look at it: Android SDK

I'm not making any promises though, I'll probably end up more confused than I already am after looking at it!

• October 13, 2011 3:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There was a "free" option that I attempted about a year ago... not sure if you remember that Forum discussion or not. It didn't go too well. Here's the link for the story:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/forum/topics/anyone-know-anything-about

• October 11, 2011 11:15 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Hmm, after looking at that link I can see how cost is a real factor here, not to mention the time building and testing the thing!

kopper said:

No idea on developing a mobile site. I know that Ning offers several options for creating apps, the problem is, none of them are free:

http://go.ning.com/everywhere/?utm_source=NCD&utm_medium=WEB&am...

I'm trying not to incur any additional expenses here. The site costs a lot as it is, and I barely make enough to cover it. Yes, Google Adsense ads help, but considering the hours I spend here most days of the week, it's almost like a second full-time job. If I figure in what little money comes in from ads and divide that by the number of hours I spend managing this site, well, trust me, you don't want to know my pay rate. It's virtually non-existent.

In fact, I could just as easily ditch the site and take on a REAL part-time job, and even at minimum wage, I'd still come out way ahead.

But I realize that, while I'm the guy in charge, I should try to find a solution so that folks with smart phones & androids and tablets and all that can easily browse the site. I have nothing to test it on since I'm still only using computers to run it and visit it. Yet I hear all the time about kids (even grade school-age kids, fer cryin' out loud) creating apps for all kinds of useful things, so I thought I might be able to find someone here who could do it. Again, I really know very little about this stuff since I'm quickly becoming a Luddite (well, me and my old-fashioned computer Internet connection and dumb phone).

Mardy Pune said:

Maybe the easiest way would be to develop a mobile site?

Is there anything in the Ning software/code/whatever for that?

• October 11, 2011 10:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No idea on developing a mobile site. I know that Ning offers several options for creating apps, the problem is, none of them are free:

http://go.ning.com/everywhere/?utm_source=NCD&utm_medium=WEB&am...

I'm trying not to incur any additional expenses here. The site costs a lot as it is, and I barely make enough to cover it. Yes, Google Adsense ads help, but considering the hours I spend here most days of the week, it's almost like a second full-time job. If I figure in what little money comes in from ads and divide that by the number of hours I spend managing this site, well, trust me, you don't want to know my pay rate. It's virtually non-existent.

In fact, I could just as easily ditch the site and take on a REAL part-time job, and even at minimum wage, I'd still come out way ahead.

But I realize that, while I'm the guy in charge, I should try to find a solution so that folks with smart phones & androids and tablets and all that can easily browse the site. I have nothing to test it on since I'm still only using computers to run it and visit it. Yet I hear all the time about kids (even grade school-age kids, fer cryin' out loud) creating apps for all kinds of useful things, so I thought I might be able to find someone here who could do it. Again, I really know very little about this stuff since I'm quickly becoming a Luddite (well, me and my old-fashioned computer Internet connection and dumb phone).

Mardy Pune said:

• July 15, 2011 11:32 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel