Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: questions about cassette tapes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 6, 2013 2:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hi I want to experiment whit some tape recording

maybe some of you in here know the answers to the questions google could'nt help me whit

as far as I understand, there are 4 different qualities

1. what is the lowest quality suitable for recording music - not in 4track but straight from computer/turntable

2. a good and cheap online store in europe? right now im looking for 14min tapes

• February 14, 2013 11:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the link, been looking around for tapes (10 mins a side)
      For ages, seems cheap too,even shipping to aussieland
    • February 11, 2013 8:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The density of the tape in a 60min is the same as what is used in a 30min.  90min onward the tape is made thinner so more can fit into the cassette.  The downside is that because it is thinner and pulling more weight it is more prone to stretch and snare. 

30min is probably more durable than a 60min because there is less of a load to pull but – to my ear - the advantage is marginal. 

Shaun Coleman said:

Why wouldn't 45 or 30 min tapes be better?

The Ultimatemost High said:

90 min. cassettes are good but 60 min cassettes are the best quality.  Tape stretches with each use.  The longer the length the thinning the tape.  Avoid 120 mins.

Chrome or high is a good bias.  Normal bias has a lot of ‘white noise’.  The best bias is METAL but it is not compatible with all player/recorders.

• February 8, 2013 6:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why wouldn't 45 or 30 min tapes be better?

The Ultimatemost High said:

90 min. cassettes are good but 60 min cassettes are the best quality.  Tape stretches with each use.  The longer the length the thinning the tape.  Avoid 120 mins.

Chrome or high is a good bias.  Normal bias has a lot of ‘white noise’.  The best bias is METAL but it is not compatible with all player/recorders.

• February 7, 2013 3:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 6, 2013 6:22 PM CST
    • Untitled

I always used the ones that say High Bias 70 (symbol that looks something like a backwards y) s EQ, High Position Type II Super Avilyn CrO2 (Chrome). I'm reading this off a TDK SA90. They sound much brighter and crisper than the "Normal" type.

A good source of them is garage sales and flea markets, where you can get them at giveaway prices. They usually already have music on them, but you can record over it. If the punchouts on the spine have been removed, just put a piece of tape over the hole. Make sure they look clean and nice, and check for signs of heat damage (curled tape), make sure the little piece of felt under the tape is there. Set your deck for the CrO2 position. I always pushed in the Dolby button, too.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel