Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Charles Manson to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 20, 2011 10:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8246811/charles_manson_to_receive_star_on_hollywood.html

Charles Manson to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

Adam Michael Luebke, Yahoo! Contributor Network, July 19, 2011

Most people seem to associate the name Charles Manson with labels like serial killer and hippie cult leader, but very few think of the long-time prison inmate and notorious American outlaw as an accomplished musician. Until now. Manson will be inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame on August 2, 2011 for his contributions toward the music industry.

The move to induct Manson into a prestigious group including high-profile musicians such as Michael Jackson and Frank Sinatra is sure to be a controversial one by the Walk of Fame committee. The Hollywood Walk of Fame press representative tried to shed light on the board's decision to include Charles Manson as a celebrity worthy of being honored.

"We understand there will be some blowback from our decision to include Charles Manson in Hollywood's prestigious Walk of Fame, but Charlie is a musician first and foremost, and he spent of a lot of time here in Hollywood." She further reiterated: "We just don't want to miss anyone who greatly contributed to the music scene in Hollywood, in America, and throughout the world."

It is largely known that Manson spent a lot of time in the 60s living with Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, and Charlie even wrote a song which the band later stole and failed to give the up-and-coming singer songwriter credit. The song, originally called "Cease to Exist", had its title changed to "Never Learn Not to Love" and was included on the Beach Boys' 20/20 album.

But Charles Manson? Does he really deserve his own star?

"Many people will ask what contributions to music did Charles Manson make," said the press rep, "and if it's proper to include someone like Manson into Hollywood's greatest, but it should be known that Manson had true music ability and much of his work was stolen or downplayed, especially after the Tate-LaBianca murders." She also commented that, "...the Walk of Fame does not have an opinion on the criminal side of Manson. We are not here to look at that. That is not our job. Manson has served his time in jail and continues to do so. We are looking at his contributions to art. To Hollywood. To music."

Manson's pink and gold-trimmed star will be placed on Vine Street, between Sunset and Hollywood.

The honored celebrity has always been required to appear in person at the special inductee ceremony where his or her star was being placed, but the board will waive the rules for Manson. "We don't expect Corcoran State Prison to let Charlie attend his ceremony in Hollywood, and we've heard that he wouldn't be interested in coming even if he was allowed. This is a unique circumstance, and this is the only time we will bend the rules of the Walk of Fame ceremony."

To judge for yourself whether or not Charles Manson deserves a star on the Walk of Fame, you can listen to his music here:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 5, 2011 10:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...and Hitler was an underappreciated painter which led to his path is politics. Should he also be honored?  Whoever thinks this is a good idea has a fairly tenuous grasp of reality.

• October 2, 2011 5:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Great prank! I checked immediately if the post was made on April 1st. :)
    • October 1, 2011 8:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If a star is given to manson.

Whats next?  Gacy, Dahmer, Bundy, etc........

• September 20, 2011 11:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Charlie called it "Cease to Exist"

Mike Love looks kinda Mansonesque.

Now Heeeeeeeeere's CHARLIE!

• July 31, 2011 3:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

musical talent or not charles mansons huge influence on pop culture cannot be disputed. personally i think the guy can sing like an angel.
    • July 30, 2011 4:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cant believe we all got sucked so what does that say about us!
    • July 30, 2011 1:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HEY, HEY!  Easy, now.

C'mon Joe.  Were talkin about "Hollywood" and all that it represents... What am I missing here?  Did I accidentally log into an Oprah blog or something?  I only wish it were true that Chuck would be considered for a star on the walk of fame.  I would plant a lawn chair at the site a week prior to make sure I'm first in line for the ceremony. Big thumbs up from me even though his music did generally suck.

joey fuckup said:
      Call it a matter of opinion, but his music isn't "groundbreaking", nor is it THAT influential. So he contributed material to the Beach Boys? Given what we all know about him, it's really sickening to think this nutjob would be glorified in such a manner. There are far greater musicians that should be honored on there, not him. This will only reinforce to his "followers" out there, that he was great, he was right, blah blah blah..."Greatly contributed"??? I personally think his "contributions" to art would be considered minimal at best. And saying that his music was stolen doesn't get my sympathy vote, neither. People fascinated by the case more than likely collected his tunes as a "curioso", an oddball relic attached to a demented individual. Just as a sidenote, I do have one of his albums in my itunes...
    • July 29, 2011 11:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The guy who wrote this story, btw (Michael Luebke) joined the Hideout a while back. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in here yet.

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/AdamMichaelLuebke

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 29, 2011 9:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bwahahahah, try again, Charly you sad Fuck of a punk. Your viral marketing killing just don't impress me.

Oops, sorry wrong discussion. Just ignore that, ok? ;)

Here for the stir

• July 27, 2011 12:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Me Too Max! This week fuckin' licks hairy balls for me... First AW keels over, can't even type her name *sniff sniff* ... Then... my hopes and dreams for Chuck are dashed!!! Redd Kross... Hell half of SST owe their careers to the man! like him or not, he's Iconic and a friend of mine... Love you Charlie ;P
    • July 26, 2011 6:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was pretty sure it was too good to be true because the idea of the academy actually recognizing someone of quality is laughable. But it's a fucking great farce and I for one love a good farce and touch of whimsy in my life.
    • July 26, 2011 1:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why Kopper! How could you tease a gulible lil ol' macabre house wife such as myself...Thats mean!

I happen to Adore Charlie and his Music :P  @ the Haters!

• July 26, 2011 11:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really don't think he deserves a star.. This must be some kind of joke.
    • July 26, 2011 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL!! Good one. But finally Buddy Holly & Louis Prima get stars!

• July 25, 2011 7:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

i knew it was a joke - but after seeing rascal flatts and will i. am as nominees im not so sure :D
    • July 25, 2011 2:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You all do realize this is a farce right??? ... after reading the comments, I'm starting to wonder.... Seriously, these are the 2011 Hollywood Walk Of Fame recipients...

The Walk of Fame recipients for the year 2011 are:

MOTION PICTURES: Penelope Cruz, Bruce Dern, Laura Dern, Diane Ladd, Ed Harris, The Muppets, Kenny Ortega, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ridley Scott, Sissy Spacek, Donald Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon.

TELEVISION: Danny DeVito, Tina Fey, Simon Fuller, Neil Patrick Harris, John Langley, Ed O'Neill, John Wells, and Oprah Winfrey.

RECORDING: Melissa Etheridge, Los Tigres Del Norte, Rascal Flatts, Go-Go's, Slash, Will i. Am, and Bebe & Cece Winans.
      Posthumous: Buddy Holly and Louis Prima

• July 25, 2011 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really liked the "Mechanical Animals" album, but I guess I'm the minority here.
    • July 25, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

TEE HEE U'RE FUNNY :p

Dan Electreau said:

: ]

Soraia said:
      Maybe his star could replace van halen's.
    • July 25, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Huge Fan... I AM!

• July 24, 2011 11:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If he ever made a legit album (especially in '67) I'd be all for it, but he didn't. And because of this, I can't see it as anymore than a publicity stunt...and something to shock people. I hate to say it, but any "former cult leader" with a wild personality in prison could write some songs and sing them and have a following. It's the truth. I like some of his songs because I see them as something unique and because it's kind of a shame that they weren't finished really. Also...I really don't know how I feel about his whole story in general. So I can't speak about the murders.
    • July 24, 2011 11:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I personally like a great deal of his music. Especially a lot of the stuff from the 1967 sessions. Cease To Exist is a great song, which is why the Beach Boys used it. The only thing I hate is that a lot of his songs are not finished (I know why, but still) If they were, I'd like it a whole lot more and consider him a very unique folky type artist who had his own sound (The only guy I think comes close is Jake Holmes in my opinion).  Which he still does with or without ending in those sessions, but many of his later songs that even have endings just don't make sense to me...that's what LSD does to a man I guess.
    • July 24, 2011 3:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hope dood.

enz

b0nes tra5hyf said:

Heard the posted songs and not impressed. Sounds like he composed a bunch o' songs though...

Is his star going to have a circle around it?  

<( ;<C

• July 24, 2011 3:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm in line with cash in hand.

Mark George Harrison said:

Still waiting for 'Chuck Berry, the lost toilet sessions' box set!

Is this shameless promotion of something that no-one really cares about anymore or are they serious just to try and be controversial? Charlies music certainly isnt great and, as somebody said, is collected as a curio. wont it make it a mecca for the 'more out there'?

• July 24, 2011 2:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

yeah laugh a minute

Max Reverb said:

WOAH is that for real!!!!!!!    SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERSONALLY BIG FAN OF CHARLIE AND SOME OF HIS MUSIC IS PRETTY FUN TOO!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel