Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Garage Rock for Kids

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 10, 2011 3:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great topic!

We do a live kids show (5-10 yr olds) about a stuntman with all garage punk music - live and as the 'soundtrack'. The finale is to a Cramps song :-) . We try to show kids a whole world of cool kids stuff that is no longer about and Ghoul Agogo was a huge inspiration - if it wasn't for them we wouldn't think it'd be possible. (this kind of stuff is quite unacceptable in my part of the world).

There's heaps of great old garage punk that is perfect for little weirdos and they have to be exposed to it -- since they'r e not allowed to do anything dangerous nowadays the least we can do for the poor little bugger is play them dangerous music.

People in the USA should check out The Boogers -- a Ramones tribute band for preschoolers.

• August 9, 2011 1:30 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I meant to post this, instead of the Spooks of Bottle Bay twice.

Sorry Kopper, the embed button on Youtube got lost last night.

• August 9, 2011 9:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My kids watched a lot of Backyardigans as kids and ya, there are some amazing music writers for that show. It's all built around backyard imagination and each show has a musical theme (surf music, country, hip-hop, etc.) and they seem to be pretty well rounded. Christ, watch for the constant one-liners when your critters can only remember four words and a melody....toughest car trip EVAH!

kopper said:

For the younger tots, the Backyardigans TV show episodes usually feature some great garage-style kids music (with Farfisa and everything). I was really impressed with the music on that show when my son was still interested in watching it. But now that's he's a bit older, he wants no part of it.

It always made me wonder who was in charge of writing and performing the music for that show.

• August 8, 2011 4:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I might as well post this on this forum too. The New Colony Six on Kiddie-a-Go-Go.

• August 8, 2011 4:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Goner Records released this album: The Luv Clowns - Love Clowns!

LUV CLOWNS BIOGRAPHY

Memphis' Luv Clowns are destined to be your new favorite kids' music band, whether you've somehow retained a sense of childlike wonder or are surrounded by your own ankle-biters.

The group boasts a roster that reads like a who's-who of Memphis musicians: Harlan T. Bobo as "Bobo," "Professor" Doug Easley (Cat Power), Alex "Cow Cow" Greene (Reigning Sound) and "Timot" T. Prudhomme (F*ck). They all dress up like clowns when they play, although the oft-kilter lyrics, penchant for hooch and quasi-creepy delivery ensure that they're just as much kindred spirits of M. Emmet Walsh as they are of Emmett Kelly. 

This ramshackle collection of tunes for tots has many memorable melodies, psychedelic effects and enough goofy charm to fill a thousand red wagons. Even the silly skits between the songs are enjoyable. "Draw," a countrified number that channels the eccentric Michael Hurley, ponders the limitless nature of the imagination. "Mr. Bubble" has nothing to do with the popular brand of bubble bath and everything to do with an odd assortment of characters that includes Mr. Gooey and Mr. Clowny. The bongos set a perfect jungle mood for "Monkey Island," a paean to the gone-but-not-forgotten primate exhibit at the Memphis Zoo.  The highlights are the campy, catchy "K-I-D-S," which features a learned professor explaining why we're all here, and a heartbreakingly sincere cover of Mr. Rogers' "Sometimes Good People Do Bad Things."

This greasepaint gang has recorded a cockeyed kiddie classic. The Luv Clowns understand that being a kid is more than just being goofy and having fun--it's about being confused and disoriented sometimes, too.

Here they are performing in the street in Memphis:

Here's the MP3:
      LuvClowns - K.I.D.S.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 8, 2011 3:38 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I love this one

Balamory isn't really garage but kids should love it and it has a lot of musical references in, I know I used to and that was back when I was 19.

and Spooks of Bottle Bay I actually used to love when I was the target audience, again not garage but the puppets rule.

• August 8, 2011 3:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cherry, here's the intro to the episode of that Kiddie-a-Go-Go with the New Colony Six.

• August 8, 2011 2:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never watched Backyardigans, but I'm going to be checking it out! I think a few times now, I've wondered who did art direction for kids things, such as Spongebob Square pants. It has such a retro tiki look in the interiors, it wouldn't shock me at all to learn it was someone with a gig poster / lowbrow art backround.

Here's the Neanderthals on Ghoul a Go Go!

• August 8, 2011 2:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For the younger tots, the Backyardigans TV show episodes usually feature some great garage-style kids music (with Farfisa and everything). I was really impressed with the music on that show when my son was still interested in watching it. But now that's he's a bit older, he wants no part of it.

It always made me wonder who was in charge of writing and performing the music for that show.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel